One heck of a day.

FunkyDoRight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
So I go into work today and get taken out back by my boss and told that I am getting another raise up to 17.09. So I was pumped up. On top of that I am going to go close on my house in a few hours. But then I get a call from my mom.

My dad lost his job today after 35 years with Dupont. They laid him off, which is prob going to end up in a separation notice. And now it makes me wonder.... I am buying a house, what is going to happen if the same bullcrap happens to me next year. I guess it is just normal to be this nervous when making big purchases, but dang I'm shaken up.

Anyone else got one of those good/bad days like that?

Generally my days are just good. So, I can't really relate.

Hope your family doesn't get hurt too much by this.

Wait, you make $17.09 an hour and are buying a house? Am I misunderstanding that? I hope it's not extravagant or anything.

[quote name='keithp']Wait, your mom and dad are separating because he lost his job?[/quote]

I don't think so...

[quote name='SpazX']Wait, you make $17.09 an hour and are buying a house? Am I misunderstanding that? I hope it's not extravagant or anything.[/quote]

That depends on what you call extravagant. Plus I live in the country. We don't have those overpriced bullcrap like you people do in the city. To me, it is a nice house. I'm paying less for a 4/3 in Royston than my brother is paying rent for a 2/2 in Savannah.

And no my parents aren't splitting up

[quote name='SpazX']Wait, you make $17.09 an hour and are buying a house? Am I misunderstanding that? I hope it's not extravagant or anything.[/QUOTE]

I had to do a double take too. I make almost that much, and I'm 17. And I'm nowhere close to buying a house. Do you have a girlfriend who makes big bank or something?

[quote name='FunkyDoRight']That depends on what you call extravagant. Plus I live in the country. We don't have those overpriced bullcrap like you people do in the city. To me, it is a nice house. I'm paying less for a 4/3 than my brother is paying rent for a 2/2.

And no my parents aren't splitting up[/QUOTE]

Ahh, never mind then. Yeah, my cousins live in the middle of nowhere, and they can buy a house for like $20k. $17 around you is probably good money. Not in Chicago sadly. :cry:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Ahh, never mind then. Yeah, my cousins live in the middle of nowhere, and they can buy a house for like $20k. $17 around you is probably good money. Not in Chicago sadly. :cry:[/quote]

Yeah, Mine is 115k. But I am well off. I have an unlimited amount of overtime i can get, which i a bonus to having a leader job where I do. There are not many super high paying jobs in this location, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Its kinda strange. I quite college because I didn't think it would be worth it for me. My friend didn't. I ended doing well for myself and he is bagging groceries because he can't find a job. Strange how things work. But yeah I can but a house and be well off. No other debt helps.

For those of you who didn't do the math...that is $35,000 a year, plenty enough to buy a modest house. Congrats OP, I just bought one myself in August and I love it.

My best advice..save some money. Save enough to cover a good 2-3 months of bills should you get laid off. That allows you a decent margin to find a job if the worst should happen.

[quote name='Maklershed']What do you mean, "you people"?[/quote]

Everyone is trying to get offended these days. Just looking for it huh?

LOL

[quote name='Maklershed']It was a Tropic Thunder reference. :lol:[/quote]

OH! LOL, going to go add that to my netflix queue now. Gotta stay caught up on that CAG hip language.

[quote name='crystalklear64']What do you mean, "you people"!?!?[/quote]

[quote name='Maklershed']What do you mean, "you people"?[/quote]

That's it. I'm buying Tropic Thunder.

Also, $17.09 is more than enough to buy a house as long as you aren't in the big city. My sister and her husband got a very nice house for $80,000. It's big, has a large garage, large basement...

I've been on that same roller coaster for the last year now. I've been sitting on my down payment money because I'm frightened of going into something and having the world drop out from under me in case of not being able to get work.

Plus there's nothing cheap anywhere in the Chicagoland area. Nowhere. OP is totally right about the more rural areas. Even the more expensive ones give you more bang for your buck.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']My sister and her husband got a very nice house for $80,000. It's big, has a large garage, large basement...[/QUOTE]

I couldn't even buy a condo for that much around here.... :(

I did last Friday when I basically found out in my Loan Officer's office that the house I have been trying to close on for several months won't be sold to me after all because of the value that the home was appraised at by the Mortgage Company is wayyyyy lower then what the seller appraised it for. Also, got my first pay check with my recent pay raise on it which is funny because the deal was held up at first because they stated I didn't make enough but now I do and can't close because the seller isn't going to sell me the house at the new value which I don't blame them cause they would be selling it to me at a lost.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

Also, $17.09 is more than enough to buy a house as long as you aren't in the big city. My sister and her husband got a very nice house for $80,000. It's big, has a large garage, large basement...[/QUOTE]

$80,000 for a house? Damn, the down payment I have saved would pay off 2 houses at that price.

Sometimes I'm watching house hunters and I'm just in shock how cheap houses are in different parts of the country. I'm in SF and I'm still living in my parents' house trying to save enough for down payment. Finally seeing some cheap houses come up and it's still in the $650k range.

My advice is to be real. Take a look at monthly mortgage payments and see if you can afford it (you should still be putting part of your paycheck into savings, if need be cut down on spending now just so you have money in the bank to fall back on.) How much do you have saved (that would not go towards paying the house). How steady is your employment? You mentioned that there aren't "high paying" jobs in your area so if something were to happen what would be the income level of an available job? And you don't have a college degree? but I guess it might not matter in your area?

oh and you mentioned "unlimited overtime." I wouldn't consider that a safety net.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I had to do a double take too. I make almost that much, and I'm 17. And I'm nowhere close to buying a house. Do you have a girlfriend who makes big bank or something?[/quote]

Where the hell do you work? I make....7.50 an hour and Im 18. Granted I work at a non-profit animal shelter and I love my job

Well I just found out my sister in law has a brain tumor (status of it is unknown at this time) and apparently some big arguement broke out between her and my brother a few days ago where my brother got pissed at her and said some shit, but did NOT get hit her or threaten her. As a result she put a restraining order against him for a week... A few minutes ago I just learned that the bitch EXTENDED the restraining order for another 2 weeks... In other words, my brother won't be seeing his two small children for the holidays :( It makes me both sad and mad because my nephews look up to my brother and loves him so much more than their mom. There is already talk about a divorce... holy shit this is going to be a fucking messy break.

[quote name='slickkill77']Where the hell do you work? I make....7.50 an hour and Im 18. Granted I work at a non-profit animal shelter and I love my job[/QUOTE]

I work for the government and make $15.13 an hour. It's my first job, and as good as it may seem, it's not. I wish I never would have gotten it. Now, I'm so spoiled, that I refuse to get a job anywhere else. I refuse to go away for college, because I'll have to get an on-campus job that blows and doesn't pay.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I work for the government and make $15.13 an hour. It's my first job, and as good as it may seem, it's not. I wish I never would have gotten it. Now, I'm so spoiled, that I refuse to get a job anywhere else. I refuse to go away for college, because I'll have to get an on-campus job that blows and doesn't pay.[/quote]

Thats how I feel, only I make nothing compared to you

You can get a new house for about 150k here in Arizona... with a pool/garage all that jazz. It's crazy, as I remember in San Diego houses that were way crappier would be like $350,000.

Anyway, what do you do for a living OP? If you don't mind me asking.

$17 is a fine amount, just start saving a couple months rent in case you get laid-off. Don't panic even if you get fired you can collect unemployment which will help cover the mortgage for a while and worse case if you can't find work and can't sell you can always rent it out and go crash with family/friends.

[quote name='yukine']You can get a new house for about 150k here in Arizona... with a pool/garage all that jazz. It's crazy, as I remember in San Diego houses that were way crappier would be like $350,000.

Anyway, what do you do for a living OP? If you don't mind me asking.[/quote]

I am a Leader at Royston LLC in the assembly department. We make Checkstands for places like Wal-Mart, Meijers, and Kroger, as well as shelving for 7-11.

Started on the line 3 years ago making 9 bucks and have worked my way up the ladder quickly. Its good because my company is well known for promoting in house instead of hiring from the outside. Almost none of the Supervisors and big wigs at my plant have a college degree. Experience is gold.

bread's done
Back