(OOS) Dragon Age Origins Collectors Edition (PS3) - $30 at Newegg

[quote name='Muthafodder']I got mine, didn't realize how tall it is.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't until this year that Blu-Ray steelbooks were the same size as a regular Blu-Ray case. If you look at Steelbook BR releases in 09, they were standard DVD size also. First Blu-Ray steelbook I remember seeing was the Halo Legends anime BR in Feb. 2010.

Also if you don't have a Blu-Ray drive in your PC, you can contact EA and get download codes for the wallpapers and soundtrack. I think they're through the EA PC downloader program like you had bought a PC digital version from them and not PSN codes.

[quote name='confoosious']so definitely the CE and not a newegg mistake?[/QUOTE]

Wow...

I ordered this back on the 23 still dont have it.

I just want the cloth map... I have spent way too much money on DA:O. First I bought it for Xbox 360. Then I bought the soundtrack on Amazon. Then I bought a premium theme and three avatar items on XBL. Then I bought the Ultimate Edition on PS3. So I really don't want to buy this game again. Oh yeah, I have Dragon Age 2 preordered as well.

[quote name='Ionotropic']I just want the cloth map... I have spent way too much money on DA:O. First I bought it for Xbox 360. Then I bought the soundtrack on Amazon. Then I bought a premium theme and three avatar items on XBL. Then I bought the Ultimate Edition on PS3. So I really don't want to buy this game again. Oh yeah, I have Dragon Age 2 preordered as well.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 version definately is better than the PS3 version or no?

[quote name='JoNJoN']The Xbox 360 version definately is better than the PS3 version or no?[/QUOTE]

No, pretty sure the PS3 version was said to be better for Dragon Age

Edit: From gamespot:

The differences between versions aren't limited to the interface. Dragon Age doesn't look amazing on the PC, but it's an attractive game nonetheless. Zooming from an isometric view to a third-person perspective is slick, and while environments don't hold up quite as well when viewed up close, they're consistently lovely when viewed from above. On the flip side, the Xbox 360 version looks positively disappointing. Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however. The PC version is the superior experience, but if you're choosing between the two console releases, the PlayStation 3 has the upper hand. Some minor glitches are shared between the console versions, however, such as rare occasions when the soundtrack or voice-overs disappear

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nddave']Wow...

I ordered this back on the 23 still dont have it.[/QUOTE]
Thats annoying. I accidentally ordered 3 more than I wanted and tried to cancel by email within minutes of placing the order and they never did get it canceled. I already received it and sent it back 2 days ago. I'll probably regret not hanging onto them but oh well..

And yes it's definitely the CE. I ended up with 5 total and all were fine except one looked like someone had opened the top seal and put it back on...hopefully someone didnt use some codes and return it but Im not too worried about it.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Can anyone confirm of the PS3 version is DVD-sized or Blu-ray-sized for the steelbook?[/QUOTE]
Not positive but to me it looks like the bigger of the 2 sizes. So I guess that'd be DVD size.

Also, PS3 steelbooks (blu-ray case sized) have been around since 2008:

a9dd45f0.jpg

e591ce8f.jpg

[quote name='earvcunanan']Can anyone confirm of the PS3 version is DVD-sized or Blu-ray-sized for the steelbook?[/QUOTE]

It's DVD sized, but it's a nice looking case nonetheless.

and make this thread go away I'm tempted to re-order more now to hang onto. Newegg's going to wonder wtf I'm doing if I order more after returning a bunch already..

is this worth it? i only have regular version and i loved it but I might buy this if it has enough content....so far I have read that it only comes with some codes for some items and a cloth map....

[quote name='ryanmassacre']Is the ps3 even worth it compaired to the xbox version?[/QUOTE]

PS3 is widely regarded as the superior console version.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont have it here in front of me but I know my PS3 copy was the one with the discs in 2 separate quadrants. One above the other. So I guess it's probably not the steel book but the cheaper second print version?[/QUOTE]

The steelbook was actually the second print run.

Thanks OP, definitely in for one. I love this game. I've already got the regular version and a CE for the PS3, but for $30 I'll bite on a sealed CE.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont have it here in front of me but I know my PS3 copy was the one with the discs in 2 separate quadrants. One above the other. So I guess it's probably not the steel book but the cheaper second print version?[/QUOTE]

So it seems that you got the Steelbook. Which means that I might get a Steelbook.

I was going to swap it out with my crappy 360 "Star Metalpak" case, but based on what I've read here it's more appropriate to keep the crappy case with the 360 disc and leave the Steelbook with the PS3 disc. :)

I just got metalpack...oh well. Its kind of beat up though too. I might contact new egg about an exchange and see if end up getting a steel book or something in better condition. My packaging was ripped and the back of the crappy metalpack case was bent outward. Plus the game disk on top was all sticky, probably from being pressed against the map for a year in storage. Im worried about even putting it my PS3, cause i dont want that residue f-ing it up. Yeah, im going to try exchanging

Looks like I got a steelbook thankfully. The pictures in the other thread help(http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249317), but if you don't want to open it, there are a few ways to check without opening the packaging.

First, the top of the metalpak case has very light blue markings, whereas the steelbook has distinct black markings.

Second, the hinge side of the steelbook has the plastic hinge peeking out from the top and bottom of the plastic covering, whereas the metalpak has nothing.

These pics from the thread show the opened hinges.

(Steelbook) http://img18.imageshack.us/i/img2140f.jpg/
(Metalpak) http://img687.imageshack.us/i/img2141x.jpg/

I know some of this info is kind of rehashed from that thread, but hopefully this helps the other collectors determine which they have!

Mine just arrived - Quite excited.
It is definitely the SteelBook - not that it really makes a huge difference to me.
Only real drawback is that this case is 360 size instead of normal PS3 size, so it kind of stands out a ton in my PS3 collection - but that's not going to bother me.

Now All I have to do is find one of those Wooden box versions and I'll be completely happy.

Craz-AY. I guess it's a win-win situation for me, because either I have the first edition or the actual steelbook. Either way, I'm content with the content. Y'know what I'm sayin'?

ultimate edition adds almost 50 hours of gameplay if you try to get everything from dlc. and awakening is replayable too so yea i had origins before i got ultimate edition or else i would probably try to beat awakening at least 3 times lol. by the way each origin story is like 50 hours, alltogether i think i spent like 300 hours playing this game lol no joke. so replayability is a 10! anyways get ultimate edition instead because you get a whole new story that retails for 30 bucks separately. Last comment is that the ps3 version of awakening is extremely bugged but still playable.

[quote name='DanteWarrior']I got the steelbook & really happy to own both variety of collector editions now.
Thanks OP!![/QUOTE]

Confirmed, thanks to Newegg I now have a nice Steelbook version to go along with my Metalpak.

Thank you, OP.

I got the metalpack for some reason. Didn't really care which version I got, just thought I'd mention it since everyone else seems to have gotten the steelbook.

I got mine in the mail today and it didn't come with any plastic on the case, just two clear stickers on the top and bottom. Did they come from the factory this way?

[quote name='confoosious']There is no shrink wrap if that's what you're asking.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing it up. There's no plastic wrap on it (shrink wrap), just a clear sticker on the top and a clear one on the bottom.

[quote name='Rozz']Thanks for clearing it up. There's no plastic wrap on it (shrink wrap), just a clear sticker on the top and a clear one on the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Yup that is how they were sold

Just curious. How does newegg ship steelbook items such as this? In their usual bubble mailer or in a box?

One factor that I procrastinated and didn't order was that this CE may not fair very well if shipped in a bubble mailer, which they have been using to ship all my games.

[quote name='eau']Just curious. How does newegg ship steelbook items such as this? In their usual bubble mailer or in a box?

One factor that I procrastinated and didn't order was that this CE may not fair very well if shipped in a bubble mailer, which they have been using to ship all my games.[/QUOTE]

Mine was shipped in a normal bubble mailer and looks fine.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone have an issue with expired DLC codes? I played through the CE without redeeming the DLC code and sold it about a week ago, now the buyer is saying they can't redeem it because its expired. I read an article saying that they have expiration dates on the voucher, but Bioware said they won't actually expire and the content will still be for download.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone have an issue with expired DLC codes? I played through the CE without redeeming the DLC code and sold it about a week ago, now the buyer is saying they can't redeem it because its expired. I read an article saying that they have expiration dates on the voucher, but Bioware said they won't actually expire and the content will still be for download.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about this edition's DLC but when I got lucky and got an unused code in my used copy of DAO, it was still good when I downloaded it a few weeks ago. It was the dragon armor/Shale DLC codes.

bread's done
Back