Operation Darkness (360) - $17.99 @ BB

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joshnorm']Is it worth the $20?[/QUOTE]

I haven't opened my copy yet, so I don't know. Honestly the reviews don't look that hot but it's a japanese-style SRPG and there aren't too many of them around for 360, so thought I'd give it a try.

Plus it's put out by Atlus, so I figure it can't be THAT bad.

Grabbed it for that price about a month ago. I only played one level. The camera is an issue but not as bad as the reviews state. It is no Valkyria Chronicles, but it has potential. I would say bite for the price.

[quote name='norkusa']I haven't opened my copy yet, so I don't know. Honestly the reviews don't look that hot but it's a japanese-style SRPG and there aren't too many of them around for 360, so thought I'd give it a try.

Plus it's put out by Atlus, so I figure it can't be THAT bad.[/QUOTE]

Atlus is only the publisher, they didnt make the game

[quote name='62t']Atlus is only the publisher, they didnt make the game[/QUOTE]

I know. I didn't say they made it. I just said they put it out (i.e. published it).

[quote name='62t']Atlus published its fair of crappy games the last few years[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I haven't played all of them, but all of the Atlus-published games I've played so far I loved, so I figured it's worth a try at this price.

Plus I know a lot of people go apeshit for Atlus games, so I guess it'd be easy to trade/sell if I don't like it.

DO NOT buy this, I repeat, DO NOT.

Try out the demo for yourself. It sucks, camera is just one of the many problems with it. Just stick with Atlus's PS2 SRPG.

Valkyria chronicals always reminded me of this game except better in everyway possible and a must own PS3 title. Sadly not on 360 like this pieace of garbage

[quote name='joshnorm']Is it worth the $20?[/quote]

Probably one of the worst rated 360 games.

OXM gave it a 2/10
IGN 2.5/10
Gamezone 4/10

Despite bad reviews, I found it to be decent. True, it is no Valkyria Chronicles, it still has some fun gameplay. Just the idea of the game is cool to me though, so maybe that's why I like it :/

As for the camera, yeah, its pretty bad at first, but you grow into it. If interested, try the demo and if the camera is your only problem with it, you'll probably get 18 bucks worth of play out of the game then.

I picked it up cheap when Amazon had a clearence on Atlus titles and tried playing the 1st couple of missions and couldn't get used to the camera controls at all so I gave up. I'm currently playing Zoids Assault however and finding that to be enjoyable although it also got bad reviews.

[quote name='Jobberwock']

As for the camera, yeah, its pretty bad at first, but you grow into it. If interested, try the demo and if the camera is your only problem with it, you'll probably get 18 bucks worth of play out of the game then.[/quote]

Camera was horribly bad. I actually didnt have too much problem with the gameplay(besides Cam) as that was pretty fun but the camera COMPLETELY ruins it. this is coming from someone who thought NG 1 and 2 cameras were perfectly fine.

So yea the camera in this game is BAD :lol:

[quote name='shrike4242']It's an Outlet Item, so there's no way to do in-store pickup for it. :bomb: Oh thank you, BB, for pulling that fast one on us.[/QUOTE]

While this is frustratingly true, if you're a Premier Silver member, you automatically get free shipping on anything from their website, including Outlet items.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's an Outlet Item, so there's no way to do in-store pickup for it. :bomb: Oh thank you, BB, for pulling that fast one on us.[/quote]

How can't you do in-store pickup for this? I did in-store pickup on this for the $17.99 price a few weeks ago. Just put it in the cart, picked out my local store and went in and picked it up. Not sure why it's not letting you do in-store pickup?

I only played the first level and it isn't that bad. I know the reviews were bad for the most part, but try out the demo first and decide for yourself.

I couldn't even finish the demo it was so bad. I'll wait for some more impressions, but i have a feeling this is one of those games you want to like, but should never bother playing.

The game is definitely worth $20 if you're the forgiving type. The game has a ton of flaws, like mediocre graphics, bad VA, and the previously mentioned crappy camera. But if you can get past all that, I think you'll find a rewarding experience. This is coming from someone who put a good 30 hours into it.

There's just something so satisfying about having a bazooka-wielding werewolf blast the crap outta a group of Nazi vampires. :D

Mind you, I should also add that this is a very difficult game, frustratingly so, at times. Spending 40 minutes to an hour on one mission only to have one of your main characters die (certain ones are an automatic game over if they die) because of some cheap enemy attack and having to start over from the beginning can really, really suck.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

I think I'll pass personally. I'd rather just get it at GS used for under 15 if not cheaper whenever it gets that low since I am back logged as it is and if its not that great...decent but not great.... I can wait.

Honestly if the premise is something you are into I feel that the game is worth it, I picked it up for twenty-five and I've liked what I have played so far.

[quote name='crazy blain']Probably one of the worst rated 360 games.

OXM gave it a 2/10
IGN 2.5/10
Gamezone 4/10[/QUOTE]

These reviewers should all be tagged and bagged. The reality is that Operation Darkness is a bizarre story (werewolves and vampires in World War II?) told in a 3D Turn Based Strategy RPG.

The only thing of note that I found negative was the game is challenging. I don't see the complaints with the camera. The Right Stick can be used to move it. You can move from enemy to enemy using the triggers. Using the "bumper" buttons you can move from ally to ally. Hitting Y changes the menu on the side from a "who is next" turn ticker to a map of the stage you're on. I really don't understand the camera concerns at all but seem to hear them in every thread.

A friend of mine (who likes strategy RPGs) ragged this game hard. The next time he was over my house, we played a stage (11 or 12) to find out (for my purposes) what was so wrong and broken about this game as he seemed to indicate. Funny thing, he now has the stance that Operation Darkness is not any different than the other games of the style.

The story is pretty linear. The difficulty does get pretty ramped up (nevermind the last levels which you have to play back to back to back (to back?) without setting any of your characters with new items or weapons. After Edward becomes a part of the Wolfpack, everyone gains abilities to equip. They also reveal special attacks.

If I had a real complaint about the game it would be that story starts a little slow. Play through until at least past the beach level before making a complete judgment.

Please feel free to verify that I have played this game (I'm not done with it yet), but a good hunk of the achievements are play through achievements. There are a few secret ones that are tougher (I tend to leave the game on for extended periods of time, but beating the game in 35 hours given how the battles work seems to be a tad on the unlikely to impossible side).

Just my two cents.

[quote name='Camwi']The game is definitely worth $20 if you're the forgiving type. The game has a ton of flaws, like mediocre graphics, bad VA, and the previously mentioned crappy camera. But if you can get past all that, I think you'll find a rewarding experience. This is coming from someone who put a good 30 hours into it.

There's just something so satisfying about having a bazooka-wielding werewolf blast the crap outta a group of Nazi vampires. :D

Mind you, I should also add that this is a very difficult game, frustratingly so, at times. Spending 40 minutes to an hour on one mission only to have one of your main characters die (certain ones are an automatic game over if they die) because of some cheap enemy attack and having to start over from the beginning can really, really suck.[/QUOTE]

There are a few aspects that I found pretty helpful in getting past Galant/Cordelia/Edward dying at any point: (1) hold them back, (2) monitor the healing items they have like a hawk, and (3) keep them away from a tank's driving distance (because tanks just love to run my allies over). Once I made note of these things, I succeeded a lot more.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's an Outlet Item, so there's no way to do in-store pickup for it. :bomb: Oh thank you, BB, for pulling that fast one on us.[/quote]
It worked just fine for me.
I did it last night, and picked it up today.
Select pick up at checkout.

When I tried to purchase this game at Best Buy last week, it rang up at $29.99, so I gave it back to the cashier and he voided the sale. Did this game just drop?

[quote name='MrNEWZ']There are a few aspects that I found pretty helpful in getting past Galant/Cordelia/Edward dying at any point: (1) hold them back, (2) monitor the healing items they have like a hawk, and (3) keep them away from a tank's driving distance (because tanks just love to run my allies over). Once I made note of these things, I succeeded a lot more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I started doing number 2 about halfway through the main missions. I always kept those three stocked full of the best healing items available at the time, and that made things a lot better.

It is worth at 20 if your a big SRPG fan who likes decent SRPG's with PS2 level graphics and don't mind so-so voice acting.

Honestly, I don't think anyone else can sum it up any better.

[quote name='josekortez']When I tried to purchase this game at Best Buy last week, it rang up at $29.99, so I gave it back to the cashier and he voided the sale. Did this game just drop?[/quote]
In store price is $29.99. The outlet price is online only. Some stores would price match it though.

I don't think this game worth $10 in my book and it freaking hard too. From 6 months up to 1 year now this game will be rare !!!

I posted a thread here about this a month ago. I also stated in my thread that it rang up as $29.99 in store. But if you go to the customer service desk and tell them that it is $17.99 on the web site, they will give you the game for $17.99 instead of $29.99. That is how i got my copy for $17.99 in store. Here is the thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206463

TC if you did do a search you would have easily found my topic about this. as mentioned above it also goes into detail on how to get the store to give you operation darkness for $17.99 with no hassle at all.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']These reviewers should all be tagged and bagged. The reality is that Operation Darkness is a bizarre story (werewolves and vampires in World War II?) told in a 3D Turn Based Strategy RPG.

The only thing of note that I found negative was the game is challenging. I don't see the complaints with the camera. The Right Stick can be used to move it. You can move from enemy to enemy using the triggers. Using the "bumper" buttons you can move from ally to ally. Hitting Y changes the menu on the side from a "who is next" turn ticker to a map of the stage you're on. I really don't understand the camera concerns at all but seem to hear them in every thread.

A friend of mine (who likes strategy RPGs) ragged this game hard. The next time he was over my house, we played a stage (11 or 12) to find out (for my purposes) what was so wrong and broken about this game as he seemed to indicate. Funny thing, he now has the stance that Operation Darkness is not any different than the other games of the style.

The story is pretty linear. The difficulty does get pretty ramped up (nevermind the last levels which you have to play back to back to back (to back?) without setting any of your characters with new items or weapons. After Edward becomes a part of the Wolfpack, everyone gains abilities to equip. They also reveal special attacks.

If I had a real complaint about the game it would be that story starts a little slow. Play through until at least past the beach level before making a complete judgment.

Please feel free to verify that I have played this game (I'm not done with it yet), but a good hunk of the achievements are play through achievements. There are a few secret ones that are tougher (I tend to leave the game on for extended periods of time, but beating the game in 35 hours given how the battles work seems to be a tad on the unlikely to impossible side).

Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bro, the game is absolutely awful and deserves to be dumped in the desert next to all of those ET cartridges. How is it even POSSIBLE to screw up a camera in a turn based strategy game? It's pretty amazing that Operation Darkness manages to do it. OD also amazes in that it somehow pulls off an unstable framerate despite having graphics barely better than N64 games. Oh, and the gameplay is terrible too. Who wants to keep replaying missions in a game this bad because some battles require some trial and error playthroughs to determine where reinforcements are coming from?

Sorry, but my guess is that you probably couldn't afford a PS3, so you desperately cling to this game and try to convince yourself it's almost decent. Go play Valkyria Chronicles, which is pretty much the same type of game as OD minus the EPIC FAIL in every single aspect. Then come back and admit that a 2/10 score is GENEROUS for Operation Darkness.

I still haven't gotten around to playing this, so I can't defend it, but I will say that after starting Zoids Assault the other day, I'm enjoying it much more than the reviews let on.

[quote name='JCDenton']Sorry bro, the game is absolutely awful and deserves to be dumped in the desert next to all of those ET cartridges. How is it even POSSIBLE to screw up a camera in a turn based strategy game? It's pretty amazing that Operation Darkness manages to do it. OD also amazes in that it somehow pulls off an unstable framerate despite having graphics barely better than N64 games. Oh, and the gameplay is terrible too. Who wants to keep replaying missions in a game this bad because some battles require some trial and error playthroughs to determine where reinforcements are coming from?

Sorry, but my guess is that you probably couldn't afford a PS3, so you desperately cling to this game and try to convince yourself it's almost decent. Go play Valkyria Chronicles, which is pretty much the same type of game as OD minus the EPIC FAIL in every single aspect. Then come back and admit that a 2/10 score is GENEROUS for Operation Darkness.[/QUOTE]

Nice attempt on the first paragraph, but it was lost quickly.

(1) Still don't see the issue with the camera everyone seems to be having. Maybe I'm not as moody as everyone else. I also admit to never playing the DEMO, which may be a little different.
(2) Haven't seen an issue with unstable framerate either. Generally these items are pretty easy to find. I'm on the battle with Hitler, so I'm not sure.
(3) You complain about graphics, but then mention a cell shaded game like Valkyria Chronicles. It doesn't look like a N64 game, but it's definitely not cutting edge on graphics.
(4) There have only been a few stages that I've had to replay. I don't expect to fly through a strategy game.
(5) Being unable to apply a sound strategy on some stages in order to survive does not equal terrible gameplay. This isn't the first game to introduce more enemies to the field of play mid-battle and it doesn't exactly surprise you that it will. The stages that are full on assaults warn you in advance.
(6) My appreciation for a game does not mean I am poor. It does not mean I am unable to purchase a PS3 or use one. In fact, if you look to your left just a little you'll notice that there is a XBL Gamertag AND a PSN name. A personal attack does not make your empty argument stronger. This argument is also funnier given a second of research into what games are available to me. I can play a variety of games and yet I *CHOOSE* to play this game. I like it and want to finish it.
(7) I have Valkyria Chronicles. I've played it some, but haven't gotten too far into it. I have enjoyed it and it is better than OD. But they're not the SAME game. You can make comparisons, but I get a different story and style out of both of them.

I am not claiming that Operation Darkness is the best game ever made, but I will defend a game I have enjoyed playing when it is being destroyed and slammed for reasons I can't imagine. It doesn't have the graphics of the Last Remnant or IU or even VC, but it's not trying to. There's a decent story and some fun strategy stages. There are also some frustrating aspects. The fact that I have a guy who can revive people and the game ends when Cordelia/Edward/Gallant die is a little frustrating. I have also completely misjudged a stage and didn't read into the prep to know "ambush" or even make sure all my characters were properly supplied. If you are playing the game and only moving and attacking, you're likely missing a lot of the thought that goes into the game. If I was writing a review on the game, I'd probably say a B-. I've had some fun with the game.

For $18, it's not a bad buy.

I've beaten the game and I liked it. But make no mistake the camera IS terrible. The first thing you should do is turn the minimap on. Use that for everything but looting since bodies don't show up on there. It's got some huge flaws but there really is a decent game in there and it does tell an interesting WWII story. Without spoiling anything some pretty cool nods to real historical events during the war in there..except...you know...now a group involving werewolves, magic, and other elements happen to be there heh.

It seems insanely hard at first glance when you don't know how to get around the bad camera and that weight really matters but here's a few tips...

Weight matters.. A LOT. Don't load your troops up more than necessary it will cripple their moves. If you've been wondering why enemies go multiple times before you do, this is why.

Don't waste your werewolf mode needlessly. The do crazy damage while transformed but since it's limited time that should be used to take out tanks and bosses. Not sure how being a werewolf makes a bazooka shell stronger but it does.

Looting is very important. Not only are there tons of hidden items (Some of which make the final few boss fights a whole lot less brutal) but you can loot healing items and ammo during the fight. Some of the unique items are on random normal seeming troopers too so loot everyone you can. Sadly the bad camera will hinder this effort.

Bazookas! Early on you can't do this but eventually you'll have so many bazookas and spare rockets all your guys can have one. You also get free reloads for anything that was empty finishing a fight (Unless you drop it which has its own advantage in speed).

Magic may seem like it sucks early on but a good magic user with nothing but healing items so they can be fast is very very deadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JCDenton']too long, didn't read, hope this helps:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929259.asp[/QUOTE]

Huh... I'm guessing you didn't read the reviews and comments and user reviews THERE either. About 3 of those reviews are complete trash (IGN's is a wonderful joke). But hey, not surprised given that you came back to a topic about a game you hate so much. +2 for you.

This thread reminds me of my attempts to defend Infinite Undiscovery, mainly from people who didn't play it at all or stopped within the first hour or two (from which they determined the entire game must be awful)... people just want to hate, I guess.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']This thread reminds me of my attempts to defend Infinite Undiscovery, mainly from people who didn't play it at all or stopped within the first hour or two (from which they determined the entire game must be awful)... people just want to hate, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Ding.

Cam - That response works too. I should have remembered this was the internet (and come on, his reasoning that I liked the game was that I was too poor to own a PS3... seriously?)

My main beef with this game was the wasted potential. I realize not every dev team has access to millions in resources, but a little, just a LITTLE more detail in the textures would have been nice. I'm non a graphics whore (geez, I haven't used that term since the original Character Battle on gamefaqs) by any means, but I don't like to see good ideas wasted on mediocre games. It happens so often, and it's starting to get on my nerves.

I guess it's worth $18 though.

ended up getting the game at $18 with instore pickup...not sure if ill ever open it...who knows, this one may become rare for a few weeks before atlus will want to reprint

bread's done
Back