Palin struggles (badly) in Couric interview

[quote name='Xevious']This is what Matt Damon was talking about:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1831461

It is safe to watch at work.[/quote]

Hahahaha, holy shit, that's hilariously depressing.

Obviously she has had more responsibilities and is capable of more than that, be jesus, it seems that there are voters who actually do see her being a "hockey mom" as something actually relevant, as she has used it in rhetoric.

[quote name='ProfWho']Thought I might share this here

putinrearshishead.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Classic.

[quote name='thrustbucket']So wait, Moscow is the only part of Russia that counts?

Whoever forwarded that to me, I'd think was an imbecile.[/QUOTE]

1. You have to take into consideration that Moscow is not just the political center of Russia but also where most Russians live.

2. The whole part of Russia that is close to Alaska is just barren iceland essentially. I saw a TV spot where a reporter had went over to ask Russia what they thought about Palin and they all were just laughing hilariously. Not only did they think it was stupid to say that just because you border a nation you have experience with it, but they were also laughing and saying things like "the only thing on the Eastern half of Russia near Alaska is polar bears".

Russia is closer to Alaska then most of those other places.......but its the insignificant part thats just dead.

[quote name='ProfWho']Thought I might share this here

putinrearshishead.jpg
[/quote]

If I owned the IP to C&C:Red Alert I'd make a new game with this cover right now.

The timing is perfect - imagine a modern remake featuring a barbie-doll president vs an evil son-of-Yuri.

You could have little Jesse Ventura seals, Jason Borne spies, extra units like US Polar Bears vs USSR Grizzlies

Fighting over oil resources, tech upgrades like wind power, clean coal

The level titles also write themselves:
"You Forgot Poland"
"Georgia On My Mind"...

[quote name='MSI Magus']1. You have to take into consideration that Moscow is not just the political center of Russia but also where most Russians live.

2. The whole part of Russia that is close to Alaska is just barren iceland essentially. I saw a TV spot where a reporter had went over to ask Russia what they thought about Palin and they all were just laughing hilariously. Not only did they think it was stupid to say that just because you border a nation you have experience with it, but they were also laughing and saying things like "the only thing on the Eastern half of Russia near Alaska is polar bears".

Russia is closer to Alaska then most of those other places.......but its the insignificant part thats just dead.[/QUOTE]

Oh I get it what the joke is going for, but it's assanine. If we had fighter jets enter the airspace of that "barren wasteland" without announcement it would put both nations at defcon 4 within minutes. Same goes for our "barren wastelands". Population density doesn't affect border importance, that's why the joke isn't funny.

This is probably more significant map, where national security is concerned.

But I'm also not defending Palin's lame comments. Just saying the joke is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thrustbucket']Oh I get it what the joke is going for, but it's assanine. If we had fighter jets enter the airspace of that "barren wasteland" without announcement it would put both nations at defcon 4 within minutes. Same goes for our "barren wastelands". Population density doesn't affect border importance, that's why the joke isn't funny.

This is probably more significant map, where national security is concerned.

But I'm also not defending Palin's lame comments. Just saying the joke is stupid.[/quote]

Well that first map was from the earlier interview where she didn't mention jets in Alaskan airspace she just mentioned the closeness of Russia to Alaska. So the joke is still funny.

The proximity doesn't give her foreign relations experience, would be the real point anyway, regardless of whether or not there's an airbase near Alaska. What she said was true (probably), that Alaska would have the highest threat of having their airspace violated by Russian planes, but what difference does that make? It seems her point was that she would be the most scared of Russia, and therefore the most prepared to deal with them.

Oh I see. Well then. Had Palin said "Russians" instead of "Russia", then the joke would have been funny to someone that didn't already have a seething livid ultra-hate for her.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Oh I see. Well then. Had Palin said "Russians" instead of "Russia", then the joke would have been funny to someone that didn't already have a seething livid ultra-hate for her.[/quote]

You don't need to have any hate for her. Mentioning the proximity of Alaska to Russia as if it means anything about her qualifications for VP is stupid. I don't understand why they ever thought it was a good idea to act as if it was somehow relevant.

If she has, at whatever point in her tenure as governor, had contact with any high-level Russian officials then that's what's important, not how close the state is. I wouldn't say that Jeb Bush (or whoever is governor of Florida now, I don't care), as governor of Florida, has foreign relations experience because of the state's proximity to Cuba. If he talked with officials or something, good, that's experience, but to say that the closeness is what's relevant is just fucking stupid.

Well damn me! My spell checker in google chrome doesn't really work. Besides, maybe I think it's important to leave the ASS in all it's glory for that word. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*whew*

Ohh look! It's the latest New Yorker cover where they poke fun at Sarah Palin's claim that she has foreign policy experience because of how close Alaska is to Russia. :D

original.jpg

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: :rofl:
"Twix & Spatula"[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is that while Spatula is over the top I could fucking see them picking twix.

Fareed Zakaria who is IMO one of the most brilliant political minds of our age - "The problem isn't that she doesn't have an answer the problem is that she doesn't even understand the question."

It is funny that she is so stupid and such a duck out of water.....that she can only stare at people with Chris Tucker running around in her head thinking I cant understand the words that are coming out of your mouth.

It's politics. Completely forget any weakness that your own party has and call the other one out on it. But do it in a cute hockey mom pitbull kind of way. And put like in the sentence like because most Americans under the age of like 35 can't make a sentence without like the word like, you know.

Again, you can't make this shit up:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/mccain-palin-the-next-clinton-or-reagan/

Sarah Palin may just be the next Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton — two previous governors underestimated by the national media who went on to win the White House, John McCain said Monday.

Appearing alongside Palin in an interview on CBS, McCain reiterated his confidence in the Alaska governor, even as several conservatives suggested she is unqualified for the No. 2 spot on a national ticket.

"This is not the first time that I've seen a governor being questioned by some quote, 'expert,' " McCain told CBS' Katie Couric as Palin looked on. "I remember that Ronald Reagan was a 'cowboy.' President Clinton was a governor of a very small state that had 'no experience' either. I remember how easy it was going to be for Bush I to defeat him.

"But the point is I've seen underestimation before," McCain added. "I'm very proud of the excitement that Gov. Palin has ignited with our party and around this country. It is a level of excitement and enthusiasm, frankly, that I haven't seen before. And I'd like to attribute it to me. But the fact is that she has done incredible job. And I'm so proud of the work that she's doing."

The comments come after Palin's widely panned interview with Couric last week during which the Republican VP candidate struggled through several answers on her foreign policy credentials and the proposed economic bailout. The comments instantly became fodder for late-night comedians and prompted criticism from several conservative corners that Palin appeared to be in over her head. But a counter-chorus has also emerged, as supporters have publicly urged the campaign not to keep Palin so isolated from the media and to allow her unfiltered audience interaction.

“Holding Sarah Palin to just three interviews and microscopically focusing on each interview I think has been a mistake,” former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney told MSNBC’s "Morning Joe" on Monday. “I think they'd be a lot wiser to let Sarah Palin be Sarah Palin. Let her talk to the media, let her talk to people."

But also in the interview with Couric on Monday, McCain decried "gotcha" journalism as he sought to downplay Palin's recent comments that suggested she would support crossing into Pakistan from the Afghanistan to root out terrorists.

"I understand this day and age of "gotcha" journalism, was that a pizza place?" McCain said regarding where Palin made the comments. "In a conversation with someone who you didn't hear … the question very well, you don't know the context of the conversation, grab a phrase. Gov. Palin and I agree that you don't announce that you're going to attack another country."

The comments came during Palin's visit to a cheesesteak restaurant in Philadelphia on Saturday night, when a voter asked if she supported a cross-border attack on Pakistan

"If that's what we have to do stop the terrorists from coming any further in, absolutely, we should," Palin responded, in comments that contradict McCain's long-standing position of consulting with Pakistan before carrying out attacks on terrorists within its borders.

Wait, is Sarah Palin running for President, or is McCain?

We all know this is the Palin show at this point. After the debate, it looks like McCain could pull a Harrison and die a month after inauguration. We better hope it's not cold in DC in January...

Man I really can't decide which would be worse. A super-liberal president or 4 years of this eye rolling, already tired, internet and late night comedy hour shooting gallery of Palin.

Someone start a revolution already, plz....?

Already started. You just didn't make the list to be saved. Sorry, homey. It was you or Chris Rock and I just had to have a jester for my court.

EDIT -- Besides, what's the worse that can happen with a super liberal president? Taxes go up but you get at least basic health care? More states turn to emissions standards for cars? Abortion can't get any more legal if you're a conservative. Gun control looks good after what happened in DC this year. Obama might be a liberal but it doesn't mean we won't fight back if we get attacked.

[quote name='depascal22']Already started. You just didn't make the list to be saved. Sorry, homey. It was you or Chris Rock and I just had to have a jester for my court.

EDIT -- Besides, what's the worse that can happen with a super liberal president? Taxes go up but you get at least basic health care? More states turn to emissions standards for cars? Abortion can't get any more legal if you're a conservative. Gun control looks good after what happened in DC this year. Obama might be a liberal but it doesn't mean we won't fight back if we get attacked.[/QUOTE]

BUT...GAYS...MIGHT... MARRY!!

:whee:

[quote name='lilboo']BUT...GAYS...MIGHT... MARRY!!

:whee:[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's the conservative plan - send the economy into the shitter and then no gays will marry because nobody can afford a "Crate & Barrel" registry.

And who gets married if there are no gifts, now?

[quote name='mykevermin']Maybe that's the conservative plan - send the economy into the shitter and then no gays will marry because nobody can afford a "Crate & Barrel" registry.

And who gets married if there are no gifts, now?[/quote]

All they need is a DJ so they can dance to Mama Mia songs all night.

On a serious note, I've known more gay people that got married for the right reasons that straight people. No shotgun weddings, marriages of convenience, or green card weddings (at least that I've seen or heard of)for them.

[quote name='depascal22']All they need is a DJ so they can dance to Mama Mia songs all night.

On a serious note, I've known more gay people that got married for the right reasons that straight people. No shotgun weddings, marriages of convenience, or green card weddings (at least that I've seen or heard of)for them.[/QUOTE]

I see your no gays and raise you most non religious people.

[quote name='depascal22']I'm actually for gay rights and gay marriage... I just like to poke fun at everyone.[/QUOTE]

I get that, im just stating that I think most religious people now get married for all the wrong reasons and worse stay married for all the wrong reasons.

I'm not too troubled with that slip.

On one hand, it's kinda silly to think a governor doesn't keep up with news.

On the other, why couldn't she BS and say she reads the Anchorage Whatever, the NYT, or the Washington Post (cause saying she reads the NYT would lose votes amongst the "keep it stupid, conservatives" crowd)?

I don't see this as an issue - just a verbal gaffe that people will take to the illogical extreme (that she doesn't read papers).

She also couldn't name a single supreme court case besides Roe V Wade. That part of the interview should be airing soon.

Honestly..most people have heard of Brown v Board of Education..
Marbury vs Madison..
Bush v Gore?

hello Ms Palin?

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not too troubled with that slip.

On one hand, it's kinda silly to think a governor doesn't keep up with news.

On the other, why couldn't she BS and say she reads the Anchorage Whatever, the NYT, or the Washington Post (cause saying she reads the NYT would lose votes amongst the "keep it stupid, conservatives" crowd)?

I don't see this as an issue - just a verbal gaffe that people will take to the illogical extreme (that she doesn't read papers).[/quote]

I understand what your saying... but the fact she couldn't B.S is a bit scary. She's a politician.. she should know how to B.S.

[quote name='depascal22']All they need is a DJ so they can dance to Mama Mia songs all night.

On a serious note, I've known more gay people that got married for the right reasons that straight people. No shotgun weddings, marriages of convenience, or green card weddings (at least that I've seen or heard of)for them.[/quote]

Ummm - the fact that there are no shotgun weddings is hardly surprising...

bread's done
Back