Palin struggles (badly) in Couric interview

[quote name='camoor']Ummm - the fact that there are no shotgun weddings is hardly surprising...[/quote]

You're not getting my point. Many people get married for the sole reason that the girl is pregnant. Neither is ready to get married but are forced because of family or society. This doesn't happen in the gay community. My point is that gays usually get married for the right reasons. Because there's only so many things gays can do as a married couple in this country, why would anyone want to go through with it unless they're truly in love? You just can't say the same thing about straight marriage.

[quote name='homeland']I understand what your saying... but the fact she couldn't B.S is a bit scary. She's a politician.. she should know how to B.S.[/quote]

That's why "average folks" like her... no "politician B.S."

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not too troubled with that slip.

On one hand, it's kinda silly to think a governor doesn't keep up with news.

On the other, why couldn't she BS and say she reads the Anchorage Whatever, the NYT, or the Washington Post (cause saying she reads the NYT would lose votes amongst the "keep it stupid, conservatives" crowd)?

I don't see this as an issue - just a verbal gaffe that people will take to the illogical extreme (that she doesn't read papers).[/QUOTE]

Like 3% of our nation reads newspapers now(discounting sports/funnies). Why should she be any different?

[quote name='soonersfan60']That's why "average folks" like her... no "politician B.S."[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding?!

Palin exudes an astounding amount of politician BS, it's just really really bad BS.

Exhibit A:
2zpmn10.jpg

"what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- oh, it's got to be all about job creation too", etc

She is absolutely nothing but fluff. All she does is recite talking points. That answer was almost a caricature of politician BS in that what she said made no sense, it was merely a string of talking points. What she said lacked substance entirely and was just buzz words that her campaign manager told her Americans would respond well to.

"But what about the economy, Sarah?"

"Healthcare reform shoring up our economy helping you in the job sector with job reform when we shore up the economy healthcare is really going to help you."

She's the epitome of politician BS -- because she's so damn bad at it it's more transparent than usual.

She was never given enough time to prepare for this. Maybe she should've taken Ted Stevens' spot in the Senate before she was tapped for this role.

[quote name='Koggit']Are you kidding?!

Palin exudes an astounding amount of politician BS, it's just really really bad BS.

Exhibit A:

"what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the -- oh, it's got to be all about job creation too", etc

She is absolutely nothing but fluff. All she does is recite talking points. That answer was almost a caricature of politician BS in that what she said made no sense, it was merely a string of talking points. What she said lacked substance entirely and was just buzz words that her campaign manager told her Americans would respond well to.

"But what about the economy, Sarah?"

"Healthcare reform shoring up our economy helping you in the job sector with job reform when we shore up the economy healthcare is really going to help you."

She's the epitome of politician BS -- because she's so damn bad at it it's more transparent than usual.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you, I would also mention that was my biggest complaint with Obama in the debate; 90% of what he said sounded very very rehearsed, even memorized. It annoys me. Granted, he is much better at it than Palin, and if you agree with what he's saying you notice it less.

[quote name='thrustbucket']While I agree with you, I would also mention that was my biggest complaint with Obama in the debate; 90% of what he said sounded very very rehearsed, even memorized. It annoys me. Granted, he is much better at it than Palin, and if you agree with what he's saying you notice it less.[/QUOTE]

I could it have been rehearsed whenever he was responding to random questions and McCain. Honestly your complaint is so ass backwards when you think about the fact that McCain actually pulled line after line after line from his stump speach(I have a pen/braclet, ill make them famous, id rather win a war etc etc).

[quote name='MSI Magus']I could it have been rehearsed whenever he was responding to random questions and McCain. Honestly your complaint is so ass backwards when you think about the fact that McCain actually pulled line after line after line from his stump speach(I have a pen/braclet, ill make them famous, id rather win a war etc etc).[/QUOTE]

They both did it, obviously. As stated by others here, most politicians do it. Some are better at hiding it than others.

My own personal impression was that, for better or worse, more of what McCain was saying was just kind of slapped together on the fly compared to Obama, which is LESS annoying than rehearsed or memorized answers. It doesn't rally matter though, since I disagreed with the majority of both of of their answers, so I'm just talking entertainment value.

As a side, I found a clip of Palin debating in the Alaskan debates for Governor. I don't see anything special about it, or anything to make fun of, but I'm sure someone here will.

[quote name='thrustbucket']They both did it, obviously. As stated by others here, most politicians do it. Some are better at hiding it than others.

My own personal impression was that, for better or worse, more of what McCain was saying was just kind of slapped together on the fly compared to Obama, which is LESS annoying than rehearsed or memorized answers. It doesn't rally matter though, since I disagreed with the majority of both of of their answers, so I'm just talking entertainment value.

As a side, I found a clip of Palin debating in the Alaskan debates for Governor. I don't see anything special about it, or anything to make fun of, but I'm sure someone here will.[/QUOTE]

How about some examples. I was easily able to give quite a few for McCain what were Obamas? I have said in the past Obama is too rigid and uses rehearsed lines, but this debate really was not one of those times.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How about some examples. I was easily able to give quite a few for McCain what were Obamas? I have said in the past Obama is too rigid and uses rehearsed lines, but this debate really was not one of those times.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to watch it again, it was too boring. But that was the impression I took away from the whole thing. It seemed that Obama had very rigid disciplined answers. I would not be surprised if he has his whole website memorized. McCain on the other hand, seemed to have a general idea of what his positions were suppose to be, and just wanted to make stuff up the other half of the time (which isn't a good thing for his side, but it's more entertaining to watch).

Especially towards the beginning of the debate. The first 20 minutes. I recall non-answers from both of them. Just playing it safe, I guess. McCain just isn't as good as keeping his stoic stature as Obama is in throwing out talking points. I really don't think McCain prepared much for that debate at all.

[quote name='Koggit']She's the epitome of politician BS -- because she's so damn bad at it it's more transparent than usual.[/quote]

People don't vote based on who is the smoothest talker. They vote for people they like and can identify with. Sure, she could be better at talking on the fly, but I think she gets a pass from lots of people precisely because she isn't seen as a "professional" politician. Most people suddenly thrust into the spotlight with that kind of pressure would react the same way, and people who are honest with themselves acknowledge that. Not saying it's a quality we should be actively seeking in a leader, but average people (i.e., non-partisan people) take that into account in their overall assessment rather than simply judging against the "standard" politician benchmark.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Like 3% of our nation reads newspapers now(discounting sports/funnies). Why should she be any different?[/QUOTE]

Source?

Depends on the measurement. I read a bunch of papers in the morning and throughout the day online, but I don't subscribe to any papers.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm not going to watch it again, it was too boring. But that was the impression I took away from the whole thing. It seemed that Obama had very rigid disciplined answers. I would not be surprised if he has his whole website memorized. McCain on the other hand, seemed to have a general idea of what his positions were suppose to be, and just wanted to make stuff up the other half of the time (which isn't a good thing for his side, but it's more entertaining to watch).

Especially towards the beginning of the debate. The first 20 minutes. I recall non-answers from both of them. Just playing it safe, I guess. McCain just isn't as good as keeping his stoic stature as Obama is in throwing out talking points. I really don't think McCain prepared much for that debate at all.[/QUOTE]

And impressions are generally colored by bias. Like I said I watched it several days ago and can recall exact examples because exact examples were provided by McCain. Obama wasn't doing that, yes he had probally rehearsed and yes he gave a few camp lines. But most of his lines was pretty obviously spur of the moment.

Its also laughable that what you essentially said in your paragraph is that obama actually prepares himself and educates himself as well as retains information well. All very good things....meanwhile McCain just goes from the gut and the ass falling back on the same dozen lines to back up his views.

[quote name='mykevermin']Source?

Depends on the measurement. I read a bunch of papers in the morning and throughout the day online, but I don't subscribe to any papers.[/QUOTE]

Ill fully admit that the number came from my ass(unlike what thrust feels about Obama I dont retain information well heh). However I know iv read study after study after study year after year that shows that less and less Americans are reading and most Americans get their news from nightly local news broadcasts. I doubt its 3% but do you really believe that many Americans still read the newspaper? I said something like this before and someone got mad at me(this was years ago)so I actually started just asking people in my daily life how often they read a news paper or heaven forbid a book on politics or current events and most just laughed and said they hadnt touched either in years or they have but only for comics and sports. I would be suprised if more then 25% of Americans read a news paper in several times in a year let alone on a regular/weekly basis.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
Its also laughable that what you essentially said in your paragraph is that obama actually prepares himself and educates himself as well as retains information well. All very good things....meanwhile McCain just goes from the gut and the ass falling back on the same dozen lines to back up his views.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure why that's laughable, unless you are still ASSuming I support McCain for some reason.

I don't disagree with your assessment. All I am saying is McCain shooting from the hip increased the entertainment value of watching the debate. Had McCain been as rehearsed and stoic as Obama, it would have driven me to tears of boredom.

Keep in mind, all I get from these debates is entertainment. I already dislike both candidates quite a bit.

damn those media fella's asking such hard questions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Y1oYThKts

honesty would love for her to just give a straight answer, have a old school will ferrel moment. Take a deep breath and just blow everyones mind.. but I've figured it out.. Ahmadinejad is her fall back.. its like Mccains "prisoner of war" when in doubt just say some bullshit and then Ahmedinejad....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBt0r9Exv2I

A potential President who can't name a single Supreme Court case aside from Roe V Wade...

Brown v Board of Education.
Bush v Gore anyone?

Do you guys think she's even read the Constitution of United States of America? FFS..She can't even name a single NEWSPAPER that she has ever read!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkWebP2Q0Y

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Capitalizt']OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4493093n

A potential President who can't name a single Supreme Court case aside from Roe V Wade...

Bush v Gore anyone?

Do you guys think she's even read the Constitution of United States of America? FFS..She can't even name a single NEWSPAPER that she has ever read!
[/QUOTE]

What's even worse to me is the contrast between her and Biden. I don't really like Biden, but the contrast is insane. It's like he's MLK Jr compared to her oratory skills. It's times like these when I wonder if the GOP is just pulling one big joke on the Obama campaign and America by picking Palin.

[quote name='Capitalizt']OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4493093n

Bush v Gore anyone?

[/quote]

She asked if she could name any other Supreme Court case she disagreed with other than Roe v Wade. That is a tough question if your only familiar with the more well known cases. It would have been funny if she said Bush v Gore.

While I'm not huge on American politics, I can't imagine myself NOT watching Biden vs. Palin.
Of course I'll be watching the Canadian debate and have the VP one recorded, but still.

[quote name='Capitalizt']

Bush v Gore anyone?

Do you guys think she's even read the Constitution of United States of America? FFS..She can't even name a single NEWSPAPER that she has ever read![/quote]

GOTCHA!

[quote name='niceguyshawne']It is like Couric is her Kryptonite or something.[/quote]

Those legs are crackin. I wouldn't be able to get through an interview with Couric either if all I could think about was those things being wrapped around my head.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']She asked if she could name any other Supreme Court case she disagreed with other than Roe v Wade. That is a tough question if your only familiar with the more well known cases. It would have been funny if she said Bush v Gore.[/quote]

Yes it is a tough thing for the average citizen to remember something like that (I can't) but remember she is running for Veep.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Yes it is a tough thing for the average citizen to remember something like that (I can't) but remember she is running for Veep.[/quote]

Plessy v. Ferguson? :p

Though I guess that was already overturned....

[quote name='Azumangaman']While I'm not huge on American politics, I can't imagine myself NOT watching Biden vs. Palin.
Of course I'll be watching the Canadian debate and have the VP one recorded, but still.[/quote]
Canadian debate drinking game?

[quote name='Frogurt.man']She asked if she could name any other Supreme Court case she disagreed with other than Roe v Wade. That is a tough question if your only familiar with the more well known cases. It would have been funny if she said Bush v Gore.[/quote]

You would think she would at least be able to remember Exxon Shipping v. Baker from June 2008 (3 months ago!!):

"The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision Wednesday slashing the damages Exxon Mobil (XOM) must pay Alaska as a result of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill could have unexpectedly wide-ranging consequences. An award to Alaskan fishermen and other residents was reduced from $2.5 billion to about $500 million."

:facepalm: How could she forget such a major (and recent) judgement involving her state?

Watch the CBS video again starting at 2:55. That "deer in headlights" look is getting very familiar during these interviews.

But if she's coming to Washington to change things than she should have a laundry list of cases and bills that have "wronged" the American people. Please let this be more than abortion. With everything that is wrong in this country, please let our executive branch have their eyes on a prize more lofty than overturning Roe v Wade.

Something I think alot of people are missing in all this is even if she isnt stupid and even if she is actually quite smart these interviews still would show she is not qualified to be President. I mean if you stress out and cant handle the pressure of talking to Couric you have no reason to think you can be President.

But she's a real hockey mom and real hockey moms are really stressed out. It makes her more real if she doesn't have all the answers.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Something I think alot of people are missing in all this is even if she isnt stupid and even if she is actually quite smart these interviews still would show she is not qualified to be President. I mean if you stress out and cant handle the pressure of talking to Couric you have no reason to think you can be President.[/quote]

Snapple Fact: She really is that stupid.

Good lord... Palin on Fox News :roll:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ear3W1usG1c&eurl=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/03/palin-on-fox-news-couric_n_131655.html[/media]

[quote name='SpazX']God damn did she just repeat verbatim what she said at the debate?[/quote]

Haha, basically... Those are her new talking points. ;)

What continues to amuse me is that all politicians and candidates have their broken record talking points. We've seen it since the beginning of time. But somehow people are only able to spot it in their opposing party.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Good lord... Palin on Fox News :roll:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ear3W1usG1c&eurl=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/03/palin-on-fox-news-couric_n_131655.html[/media][/quote]

Our position in Afganistan is wreckless and it's all Obama's fault?

[quote name='HotShotX']Here's parenting at its finest:

2czc1ua.jpg

~HotShotX[/quote]

Woah! Look at Piper! :whistle2:o
Is that pic 'shopped or is it the real deal? :lol:

[quote name='The Crotch']Ah! Whazzafuck happened to my CAG? Do the last two posts look really tiny to anyone else?[/quote]

Yeah I've seen it fuck up like this before, but I think it eventually corrected itself.

One of my posts did this one time, so I just deleted it and all was well... if camoor leaves his post I think it'll be like this until the next page.

CAG 2.0 still has quite a few bugs but it doesn't seem like fixing them is high on anyone's list of priorities.

bread's done
Back