Papa John's Appreciation Day

Maybe you should take a basic writing class and you'll see that grammar and punctuation aren't actually that hard to master.

[quote name='slidecage']maybe everyone who is bitching about this should got out and try to make their own company and then they will see how hard it is to make a company stay in business .

if you say a company should not make a profit then why should anyone who plays sports be paid at all .. They are playing a game they should not make a profit (yes im pissed cause of the nhl lock out LOL)[/QUOTE]

Weren't you going to quit your job and go on welfare if Obama was reelected?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. But they at least tend to be a little better on pay, benefits etc than wal-mart and provide a much nicer shopping experience.

Just really no better options for things like toiletries etc. the grocery stores, CVS etc are no better to their employees and charge more for those things.[/QUOTE]
Oh I agree. Fortunately one of the supermarket chains in MA is unionized, so I have more options.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That article is part if a whole series discussing just how fucked up the health care system is. I just pointed that piece out because of how insane it is. Utterly disgusting.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh...gotcha. Gonna try and catch the rest of the series then.

Am I the only one who feels sick to his stomach every time that pizza with two types of bacon is advertised? Cheese is fat, bacon is fat, you've basically got carbs (dough) topped with sugar (tomato sauce) topped with fat (cheese) topped with more fat (bacon) Forget vegetables, that pizza doesn't even have enough protein.

Also I can't eat shitty box pizza anymore, I keep thinking of that Dominos pizza scandal.

[quote name='slidecage']saying if you want to pay

xxxx more for a pizza to pay for their health insurance

then why not

xxxx more for a pay raise
xxxxx more for free college
xxxx more for free cars for the drivers

ect ect ect[/QUOTE]

This makes sense from a buy American over imports viewpoint actually. Even though you could get a product cheaper from China, paying more domestically would improve the purchasing power and quality of life for your fellow American.

(Assuming of course that the business is not overly top heavy--as a consumer there is a little bit of a moral choice here, would you be willing to pay more for a product from a business where worker and management salaries aren't grossly out of proportion from one another?)

[quote name='slidecage']maybe everyone who is bitching about this should got out and try to make their own company and then they will see how hard it is to make a company stay in business .

if you say a company should not make a profit then why should anyone who plays sports be paid at all .. They are playing a game they should not make a profit (yes im pissed cause of the nhl lock out LOL)[/QUOTE]

I always find your arguments interesting in the fact that they often don't need refuting. They seem to accomplish that on their own by being horribly ridiculous replies to nothing anyone has said.

Just so you all know John Schnatter is all cool with the ACA. He thinks it is great all Americans are getting health care. No really, he is saying that all that other stuff he said was taken the wrong way. He was saying that the franchises would be cutting people's hours NOT Papa Johns. No, they are beacon of hope for the American worker, in fact this will level the playing field for him. Walk back much Mr. Schnatter? Money trumps ideals every time for these guys and he saw potentially a shit storm that could effect his bottom line.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-h-schnatter/papa-johns-obamacare_b_2166209.html

I wish I could fuck with his bottom line. As it is, I don't buy pizza from chain stores (okay, I admit I almost bought an "Uno" pizza at O'Hare airport last week), so I can claim to "boycott" Papa John's all I want. Fact is, I just know better.

And, living in the Northeast, you can't walk ten feet without tripping over a pizza shop. It's like Subway sandwiches - there are so many amazing hoagie and grinder places in every city and town here that I have no clue who in the motherfuck walks into a Subway in Philly like "allright! *FINALLY* found a good sandwich shop!"

So avoiding chain stores is really easy for me. I'll eat McD's like 5 times a year at most. Dunkin' Donuts is a weakness as well - but other than that, I don't do any of that stuff anymore. Don't have to, don't need to, don't want to.

I've actually boycotted Papa Johns since he first made those comments during the election. I usually ordered from them once a month or so. Reason being none of the local pizza joints here deliver--and there aren't all that many anyway. Atlanta isn't nearly as good a city for good food as the northeast cities unfortunately. But I still largely avoid chain places when dining out--while it's not DC where I was before, there are still some decent local joints around so no reason to hit up chains. Main sucky thing is most of hte good ethnic restaurants are up in the northern suburbs and thus pretty out of the way for people living in the city.

Anyway, PJ is crap, but better than Pizza Hut or Domino's, so I usually went with them when watching football or whatever and wanting a pizza. But no more. Now if I get a pizza craving I just grab a slice or two for lunch as there's a couple ok local joints near my work.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Atlanta isn't nearly as good a city for good food[/QUOTE]

LIES.

Not only did I miss you in Chicago last week, I was in Atlanta the first weekend of November (not that I had a spare moment). I finally got to have pancakes at Ria's Bluebird. HOLY fuck. And cheap, too. If you can tolerate the too-hipster-to-give-good-service (a/k/a just plain hipster) service, it's hella worth it.

There are a number of really good places to eat right on Memorial SE south of Oakland Cemetery. Decatur has a number of good food spots as well. The only place in ATL where I was a bit dumbfounded with the food offerings was where we were staying (Mariott Marquis, home of next year's ASC ;)). But that's b/c it's the typical convention area of a metro downtown.

(oh, also, there appeared to be a new-ish craft beer bar on Memorial a few blocks west of Rias/Tin Lizzy etc. - didn't catch the name, though I'm sure you're quite familiar with it.)

Now, if you want to argue that there's no good pizza in ATL, that's not something I am able to argue against. But as for good food, I had some damned good meals there a few weeks ago. Also, I'm hella addicted to Chicago style dogs now, and can't get a good hot dog in Philly to save my fucking life.

Now I'm just hungry, and quite off topic. But we're talking about pizza anyway, so...yeah.

When I first moved here I bought a bread machine and have been makin my own pizzas ever since. (There isnt decent pizza within 500 miles of me) You should do the same. Its a lot easier than you think to make better than average pizza at home.

As per Papa Johns in particular: Its one of the worst offenders as far as honesty goes (long before this debacle) You all know its not real cheese right (none of them are) They put on a big front when it comes to their meat and veggies , pounding their chest over how good that aspect is , because the cheese is actual plastic.
Its real cheese in the same sense that the mozzarella you bought at Aldi is real cheese. (Mostly oil based with a tiny portion of skim milk plus oodles of delicious Polymethylsiloxane. Which is also one of the main ingredients in chicken McNuggets btw )

A dead giveaway everytime : They cant get away with calling it Cheese. They have to call it something else when they list the ingredients. Like "Pizza Topping" , or "Pizza Cheese"
If they called it Mozzarella , thats a class action in the making. Cant remember if it was Pizza hut or Dominoes that tried getting away with advertising that they had real Mozzarella cheese, but that didnt last.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you looked at the ingredients and it read "Real 100% Mozzarella Cheesetm"

[quote name='cancerman1120']Just so you all know John Schnatter is all cool with the ACA. He thinks it is great all Americans are getting health care. No really, he is saying that all that other stuff he said was taken the wrong way. He was saying that the franchises would be cutting people's hours NOT Papa Johns. No, they are beacon of hope for the American worker, in fact this will level the playing field for him. Walk back much Mr. Schnatter? Money trumps ideals every time for these guys and he saw potentially a shit storm that could effect his bottom line.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-h-schnatter/papa-johns-obamacare_b_2166209.html[/QUOTE]

It's cute how he thinks his opinion matters so much. 'Papa John hates on workers' was a cute story but your fifteen minutes of fame are over Johnny.

[quote name='mykevermin']LIES.

Not only did I miss you in Chicago last week, I was in Atlanta the first weekend of November (not that I had a spare moment). I finally got to have pancakes at Ria's Bluebird. HOLY fuck. And cheap, too. If you can tolerate the too-hipster-to-give-good-service (a/k/a just plain hipster) service, it's hella worth it.

There are a number of really good places to eat right on Memorial SE south of Oakland Cemetery. Decatur has a number of good food spots as well. The only place in ATL where I was a bit dumbfounded with the food offerings was where we were staying (Mariott Marquis, home of next year's ASC ;)). But that's b/c it's the typical convention area of a metro downtown.

(oh, also, there appeared to be a new-ish craft beer bar on Memorial a few blocks west of Rias/Tin Lizzy etc. - didn't catch the name, though I'm sure you're quite familiar with it.)

Now, if you want to argue that there's no good pizza in ATL, that's not something I am able to argue against. But as for good food, I had some damned good meals there a few weeks ago. Also, I'm hella addicted to Chicago style dogs now, and can't get a good hot dog in Philly to save my fucking life.

Now I'm just hungry, and quite off topic. But we're talking about pizza anyway, so...yeah.[/QUOTE]
There used to be this place in town, it was owned and run by this couple from Chicago, they made the best damned hotdogs I've ever eaten. It was the first time I'd ever had colelsaw on a hotdog, it was fantastic. They also had pizza puffs, which are like a much better version of a hot pocket. Then the place closed, and turned into some sort of quasi italian/greek place.

[quote name='EdRyder']When I first moved here I bought a bread machine and have been makin my own pizzas ever since. (There isnt decent pizza within 500 miles of me) You should do the same. Its a lot easier than you think to make better than average pizza at home.

As per Papa Johns in particular: Its one of the worst offenders as far as honesty goes (long before this debacle) You all know its not real cheese right (none of them are) They put on a big front when it comes to their meat and veggies , pounding their chest over how good that aspect is , because the cheese is actual plastic.
Its real cheese in the same sense that the mozzarella you bought at Aldi is real cheese. (Mostly oil based with a tiny portion of skim milk plus oodles of delicious Polymethylsiloxane. Which is also one of the main ingredients in chicken McNuggets btw )

A dead giveaway everytime : They cant get away with calling it Cheese. They have to call it something else when they list the ingredients. Like "Pizza Topping" , or "Pizza Cheese"
If they called it Mozzarella , thats a class action in the making. Cant remember if it was Pizza hut or Dominoes that tried getting away with advertising that they had real Mozzarella cheese, but that didnt last.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if you looked at the ingredients and it read "Real 100% Mozzarella Cheesetm"[/QUOTE]
Just like Kraft singles are "cheese".

[quote name='EdRyder']When I first moved here I bought a bread machine and have been makin my own pizzas ever since. (There isnt decent pizza within 500 miles of me) You should do the same. Its a lot easier than you think to make better than average pizza at home.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you looked at the ingredients and it read "Real 100% Mozzarella Cheesetm"[/QUOTE]

Link? I'm genuinely curious. Reminds me of the "chocolatey" vs "chocolate" issue, where Hershey is making products with zero chocolate/cacao content (like those tiny candy coated hershey kisses - zero chocolate). They're called "Chocolatey candies" instead of "chocolate candies."

[quote name='mykevermin']LIES.

Now I'm just hungry, and quite off topic. But we're talking about pizza anyway, so...yeah.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed you as well. Ended up super hung over on Thursday so didn't do much that day, and was booked on Friday.

The problem I have is most of the good food spots around town are pub/bar food, southern food, BBQ etc. which I don't like eating very often. With some notable exceptions of course. Atlanta isn't a bad food town by any means, just not comparable to the big NE cities. It's especially lacking as most of the good Asian, Mexican and other ethnic food spots are up on Buford Highway with a lot of them way up in the suburbs where there's a bigger immigrant population--really isn't any big immigrant neighborhoods intown, weird for such a big city to not have a Chinatown area etc.

Lot's of great places to grab a burger and a beer, some ok Italian joints etc., but lacking on ethnic food, good healthy restaurants etc. which are more my style when wanting to eat out rather than grab drinks and food with friends when it's more about the beer and conversation. Atlanta has a great selection of those kind of spots--though I haven't tried the place on Memorial you're talking about.

But location is a lot of it, I work downtown (about a mile south of that hotel) and live in mid town (about 2 miles north of it) so I generally only go out to eat around those areas. I usually don't feel like driving over to Memorial/Grant Park or up to Buckhead or the suburbs where some of the better spots are. Living in a city has made me lazy about driving, especially when traffic and parking can be a pain. :D

This whole post made me sad. Now I have to be worried about my cheese actually not being cheese? Growing up in WI makes it all the worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be Italian.
Make own marinara for spaghetti.
Make own pizza with leftover sauce.

Get on my level.

[quote name='cancerman1120'] Growing up in WI makes it all the worse.[/QUOTE]

My half brother played minor league baseball for a bit, and was on a team in Madison. My dad and I drove up there one summer to watch him play a few games. We showed up at the game at about 3PM on a Wednesday. The first thing I noticed was that businessmen men were there, and they had a a beer in each hand, driving that shit down like angry gods.

We went to my brother's foster home, and the Wisconsians gave us a gift basket full of cheeses, breads, sausages, dips, and other snacks. And it was ALL AMAZING.

[quote name='mykevermin'] Also, I'm hella addicted to Chicago style dogs now, and can't get a good hot dog in Philly to save my fucking life.

[/QUOTE]

Chicago dogs are the best thing on earth, loved eating them while I lived there.

[quote name='Cantatus']I always find your arguments interesting in the fact that they often don't need refuting. They seem to accomplish that on their own by being horribly ridiculous replies to nothing anyone has said.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='RealDeals']Damn, doh and RvB temp banned? Mods are coming down hard lately...[/QUOTE]

That must have just happened. Surprised since vs. is pretty lenient.

So it looks like the company that runs Red Lobster and Olive Garden are backing down from anti-Healthcare policies after they realized it was causing a decrease in sales. When will these greedy bastards realize that the majority of Americans think healthcare is something every person deserves, especially those that work full-time. As long as the public continues to vote with their wallet these corporations will have to bend to the will of the people or be replaced by companies that value human dignity.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/olive-garden-owner-hold-off-200230971.html

[quote name='cancerman1120']So it looks like the company that runs Red Lobster and Olive Garden are backing down from anti-Healthcare policies after they realized it was causing a decrease in sales. When will these greedy bastards realize that the majority of Americans think healthcare is something every person deserves, especially those that work full-time. As long as the public continues to vote with their wallet these corporations will have to bend to the will of the people or be replaced by companies that value human dignity.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/olive-garden-owner-hold-off-200230971.html[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I'd love to see those data. I don't picture the Red Lobster/Olive Garden demographic as being politically interested in the well being of the employees. I see them much like some of the anti-laborer rhetoric on the Wal-Mart Black Friday strike thread here on CAG - utter disdain and scorn for employees who stand up for reasonable working conditions because it might get in the way of a deal on an LCD television.

Clearly I'm wrong.

You have to love this snippet:
The move will come just two days after the company lowered its profit outlook for the year, citing failed promotions and negative publicity from its tests that used more part-time employees.
So they admit to failing promotions, but the real problem is ACA. They aren't losing money because they fucked up, nah it was that black dude in that white house, who made them perform these tests.

Seriously, Olive Garden is basically the Papa John's of Italian food.:lol:

Most of that shit is just reheated from pre-made dishes of food. You know who else does that? Fazoli's, but at least they aren't pretending it's gourmet food.

Now y'all are just snobs of the highest order. You're like liberal elites and stuff if you don't dine at Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden.

If you ever talk to people who work in the food industry, you start seeing restaurants in a new light. Not McDonald's and such, but even sit down places.

I've yet to run into someone who claims that Cheesecake Factory is bad. I finally went there out of pure curiosity and it was fucking awful. They have a gigantic menu, and it was suggested to me that "There is no way they can cook all of this food fresh. I'm positive it's all reheated frozen premade crap." And that's EXACTLY what it tasted like. So now I'm super wary about any place I go to for food, because there's this new level of perception applied.

I seriously can't even name restaurants I'd be jazzed to go to anymore, except for a small slice of places in Austin that are seriously amazing.

[quote name='mykevermin']Now y'all are just snobs of the highest order. You're like liberal elites and stuff if you don't dine at Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden.[/QUOTE]

See post 122, honky.

[quote name='Strell']I seriously can't even name restaurants I'd be jazzed to go to anymore, except for a small slice of places in Austin that are seriously amazing.[/QUOTE]

I ate fuckin' awesome in Austin this summer. Ate and drank my way through the warehouse district and then...6th street? I don't remember, but it involved Latino drag queens and loads of Lone Star.

"Name" restauarants are the sort of thing I'll do (a) at an airport or (b) on the road. Even when I'm in "fuck it, I just put in a 15 hour day" mode, I'll still make something at home. I don't eat fast food unless (a) or (b) happen. I'll have McD's like 4-5 times per year. Haven't had Taco Bell in 4+ years, there's a ton of places I've never eaten that people are incredulous. "What do you mean you've never eaten Sonic?"

When I go home for Christmas I'll eat a *ton* of Skyline Chili. That's about it in terms of going out of my way for fast food. Sit down meals? Not a fucking chance. Unemployment was around 4% the last time I went to an Olive Garden. Legit.

[quote name='Strell']See post 122, honky.[/QUOTE]

Cooking has a liberal bias. If you're not using a microwave, you hate America.

Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get to downtown Austin? I.e., where all the cool shit is? The highways are ridiculous here, and have AT LEAST two less-than-needed lanes. It's annoying beyond belief and keeps me far away from that area. Everything is croweded around Sixth Street and downtown in general, but don't even try heading there after 5 unless you have a damn good reason and/or can commit to at least an hour of slow ass traffic.

There IS a badass new ramen place, and I finally found a good Vietnamese place with some simple, easy charbroiled beef and rice. There's a bahn mi right next to that I still need to check out. Between those three I could eat for months and never get tired of them. Sadly the ramen place has a line out the door every night, and if you aren't in it by 7, you run a high risk of them running out of broth.

Thankfully these are very close, in the north "You're not really in Austin" Austin, which is another story.

Oh, I was staying a few blocks away (Radisson? I honestly don't recall. Near the intersection of Chavez and...Congress?), so I walked/skated everywhere. Except when hammered. No skating and drinking.

6th Street is a pretty top shelf (not literally, because I mostly drank $2 Lone Stars and pilfered people's wooden nickels for beers at the Jackelope) place to go. Fun, fun, FUNNNN.

I also dug the Lustre Pearl, which is just around the way from Chavez.

ALSO, Austin drivers are TERRIBLE. They are the most paranoid slow as turtle shitting molasses motherfuckers in the WORLD. It is INFURIATING.

If you are on a highway - a fuckING HIGHWAY - and there is a cop ANYWHERE near it, Austin drivers will get out and push their cars, I swear to god. He's off with whichever poor bastard he's flagged down, 400 yards away in the Walmart parking lot, and Austin drivers instantly set speed to sloth. There's an uber-absolute less-than-zero chance of him busting some heads on the highway, and yet the drivers still go to dead speed.

So even if you had the luck to not have traffic, you've still got these drivers to contend with, who seriously must be seeing the limit signs and instantly dividing by two, or zero, whichever results in my blood boiling faster.

If you go to Houston, everyone drives fast. I have a theory that Houston is entirely populated by nothing but pissed off Austinites.

If you go to Dallas, everyone drives fast, and like a fuckhead. So the theory goes that Dallas is entirely populated by nothing but pissed off Houstonarians.

[quote name='Strell']If you ever talk to people who work in the food industry, you start seeing restaurants in a new light. Not McDonald's and such, but even sit down places.

I've yet to run into someone who claims that Cheesecake Factory is bad. I finally went there out of pure curiosity and it was fucking awful. They have a gigantic menu, and it was suggested to me that "There is no way they can cook all of this food fresh. I'm positive it's all reheated frozen premade crap." And that's EXACTLY what it tasted like. So now I'm super wary about any place I go to for food, because there's this new level of perception applied.[/QUOTE]

Check this review of GuyFieri's NYC restaurant, hilarious.

Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex? When you saw the burger described as “Guy’s Pat LaFrieda custom blend, all-natural Creekstone Farm Black Angus beef patty, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion + pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey Sauce on garlic-buttered brioche,” did your mind touch the void for a minute?
What exactly about a small salad with four or five miniature croutons makes Guy’s Famous Big Bite Caesar (a) big (b) famous or (c) Guy’s, in any meaningful sense?

More gems here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/d...uys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

FYI Times Square restaurants are largely for tourists, complete with overpriced drinks and terrible food. There are a few ok spots but they aren't going to be tied in with celeb chefs or famous movies.

Times Square ≠ New York. I loathe everything about Guy Fieri, but piling on the dude for putting together a shitshow restaurant in Times Square? Poor form.

Having never been myself, I seem to remember watching some show about NY history, and them mentioning that Times Square used to be really shady. Sounded like that was the fun Times Square lol. But yeah, tourist spots are always like that. Go up to the Gatlinburg area in east TN, same thing. you have to get out of the main tourist areas for the best food. Found this little British pub once that had incredible thing which I cannot remember the name of. Was beef and gravy in this flaky puff pastry thing, kinda like beef wellington.

edit- And dammit I'm hungry now.:bomb:

[quote name='Clak'] Was beef and gravy in this flaky puff pastry thing, kinda like beef wellington.[/QUOTE]

Yorkshire pudding?

Also, *great* comparison. Times Square is Gatlingburg minus the solo ski lift. It's a fascinating place to walk down once, but I didn't stop walking until we hit Grand Central Terminal.

Nah, this actually had beef, and maybe some vegetables in it. I'd say it was almost like a beef pot pie, but was wrapped up in the dough rather than in a pie.

But yeah, I'd say almost all tourist places are like that. You have the older area, hopefully still there, but the new touristy stuff is front and center. The artisan trail in Gatlinburg is still there, but it's in the older more run down looking area of town, lots of fun to drive through though. Most are set up in little villages.

[quote name='mykevermin']Times Square ≠ New York. I loathe everything about Guy Fieri, but piling on the dude for putting together a shitshow restaurant in Times Square? Poor form.[/QUOTE]

I saw this elitist attitude alot in the comments section, but why do tourists deserve to eat shitty food just because they get hungry while visiting Times Square?

Did you read the article, this isn't a mediocre Southern restaurant, it's an abomination.

bread's done
Back