Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Game Guide) $0.27 BestBuy.com

Why are these guides getting the prices dropped so drastically? I saw someone say they are supposed to be destroying them? Are they going out of print or are they making new versions? Anyone know?
Thanks

[quote name='StupidFoo']Why are these guides getting the prices dropped so drastically? I saw someone say they are supposed to be destroying them? Are they going out of print or are they making new versions? Anyone know?
Thanks[/quote]

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I asked a similar question in the penny guide thread. I think the stores are just clearing inventory to make way for new guides coming in... but I still don't grasp the "destroying" aspect. Some stores let me buy them but others wouldn't saying they had to send them back to the manufacturer... whatever the hell that means.

[quote name='sabin23']I'm an IDIOT!

I found 4 of these strategy guides (including Paper Mario) at BB but I asked the store associate upstairs in the video game section to double check the price on the system for me. He look puzzled when they showed up as $0.01. So the BB guy asked a couple of his more senior co-workers. They refused to let me have the strategy guides and snatched them from me saying, "these are supposed to be sent back to the manufacturer." They called the manager and wouldn't let me have them back.

Should I have made stink about them not letting me buy the guides? I figured it wasn't worth it for pieces of paper. I should have just walked to the cash register and I probably could have walked out of the store with it.

I ended up going to another BB and had no problem. The cashier actually called the manager over the phone but he cleared the transaction. This store had at least 10 of everything so I picked 2 copies each of all 7 of the guides one of the posters listed EXCEPT for Paper Mario, which is the one I wanted most. I'm kicking myself for not being able to get Paper Mario at the first BB I visited.

Anybody else have the same problem?[/quote]

Best Buy has been the easiest place for me to get penny guides. They did give me a hard time when they had a huge list of stuff that dropped and the dude gave me a hard time about the huge stack I had (and I only had like 2 of each of the guides). I compromised and left like 10 guides that I really didn't want that much and got another 20. But no one has said I couldn't buy them at any of the 3 Best Buy stores that I've gone to for guides.

My wife was at Best Buy last night and grabbed several guides, including Paper Mario, but they all rang up at $8.99 or more! :( I thought the drops were never YMMV for BB?

[quote name='Backlash']My wife was at Best Buy last night and grabbed several guides, including Paper Mario, but they all rang up at $8.99 or more! :( I thought the drops were never YMMV for BB?[/quote]

I've never seen a YMMV drop as far as the penny guides at BB...

That's odd.

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Backlash']My wife was at Best Buy last night and grabbed several guides, including Paper Mario, but they all rang up at $8.99 or more! :( I thought the drops were never YMMV for BB?[/quote]

That's odd.[/quote]

it was the nintendo power Mag. Maybe it was another Guide.

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Backlash']My wife was at Best Buy last night and grabbed several guides, including Paper Mario, but they all rang up at $8.99 or more! :( I thought the drops were never YMMV for BB?[/quote]

That's odd.[/quote]

it was the nintendo power Mag. Maybe it was another Guide.[/quote]

I don't know that there IS another guide for Paper Mario 2. If so, I've never seen it...especially not in BB's usually limited selection. :?

Well, I can't confirm exactly what she grabbed or what happened. However, she's pretty saavy about this stuff, not like some clueless grandma. And ALL the guides she grabbed (4 I think?) while on the phone with me rang up high. Oh, well.

They "destroy" the guides (rip the covers off) because that's what you do with periodicals that don't sell. They're not making any money on a 27-cent guide, and they're probably losing it in terms of employee time and opportunity cost. They drop them to a penny because who can afford to destroy a $9 guide? That many stores leave the penny stuff on the shelves is something of a kindness.

I just picked mine up after ordering it online from BB a few days ago. It took 15 minutes for the clerk to get me the guide, and when he came out of the back storage space with it, it was pretty bent up. Normally they keep all the online orders in a desk up front so it was very odd that they had to search the back for it....

[quote name='meteors']I just picked mine up after ordering it online from BB a few days ago. It took 15 minutes for the clerk to get me the guide, and when he came out of the back storage space with it, it was pretty bent up. Normally they keep all the online orders in a desk up front so it was very odd that they had to search the back for it....[/quote]

BB hates you lol

[quote name='meteors']I just picked mine up after ordering it online from BB a few days ago. It took 15 minutes for the clerk to get me the guide, and when he came out of the back storage space with it, it was pretty bent up. Normally they keep all the online orders in a desk up front so it was very odd that they had to search the back for it....[/quote]

I went to 2 different stores and both time they have to get them out at back. Mine looks brand new and never been on the shelf.

I managed to score mechassault 2, kingdom hearts, kill zone and xiii. the clerk had a funny look when they scanned at .01 but since I was buying something else they didn't bother me. thanks OP.

I got back from my BB and not only did i get a few KH COM guides but i got one of the Star Ocean 3 guides as well

I got everything I wanted at my local BB. I picked up

Mechassault 2
Kingdom Hearts
Budokai 3
Paper Mario
NFL Street 2
Def Jam Fight for NY

So as not to draw suspicion to myself, I bought two full price guides I've been wanting (Mercenaries and Jak 3) Total price for 8 guides was $33.95

Whew, I got the last Paper Mario guide from the Best Buy near cumberland mall in Atlanta. The lady was surprised that it rang up for only $0.27 and scanned it twice but I got out without any other problems. This one says "The official guide from Nintendo Power" on the cover.

Thanks for the original post!!

Just picked up two of the Paper Mario guides at the Dale Mabry location in Tampa. They even had a little SKU sign underneath that read, "Paper Mario Guide 27 cents." Weird.

[quote name='ZForce']I got everything I wanted at my local BB. I picked up

Mechassault 2
Kingdom Hearts
Budokai 3
Paper Mario
NFL Street 2
Def Jam Fight for NY

So as not to draw suspicion to myself, I bought two full price guides I've been wanting (Mercenaries and Jak 3) Total price for 8 guides was $33.95[/quote]

thats the way to do it, pick something else up and they usually dont notice

Yeah, now watch the Mercenaries and Jak 3 guides get pennied out next week :)

I think the best way to get the penny guides from BB is to A) Not be obvious and buy a big stack of duplicates and B) Buy an item or two along with them . I carefully set up my stack so that the top guide was one of the full price ones, and the other full price one was somewhere in the middle. I used to grab any penny guides I could, and always get a duplicate, especially when I worked at Gamestop, because there was a store I could sell em for $3 a piece at. Now however, they only give $2, and are a lot more selective, and it's not really worth it to me because if they don't take them, I'm stuck with them. Now I just grab the guides I want, and maybe an extra of the more popular ones to use as trade bait here.

[quote name='lyric706']Just picked up two of the Paper Mario guides at the Dale Mabry location in Tampa. They even had a little SKU sign underneath that read, "Paper Mario Guide 27 cents." Weird.[/quote]

They did this a few times at the Melbourne store... then all of a sudden the day they go a penny they are removed from the shelf. But, I can still order them online and pick the up...

Best Buy in Springfield, VA had just about all of them. I think I got the last Paper Mario though. There were several more Spyro's and Kingdom Hearts. I had no problem ringing up the 30-something cent sale. The cashier (in a very friendly way) said I could probably find the money for it laying around the floor. No managers, no employee conferences, no hassle... I didn't push it by making her look up my Rewards Zone number though :)

I went the Best Buy by my house, and found all the guides listed. I wanted to have an employee price check them first, and she said "They are priced whatever they're marked" so I said can you check anyway and she says "We already checked and marked a bunch down"

So I asked her one more time to check because I want to be sure, and she checks and sure enough, they're all marked down. Should have seen the look on her face.

On a side note, I asked her about Fight Night Round 2 and she said that they didn't have it. Keep in mind the computer showed they have 37 copies in stock. She said she couldn't find it, that it was probably on a truck somewhere.

So I asked someone else, and they found the game, but told me "we can't sell it yet, our computers won't let us."

WTF? Here it was 3 days after the game came out and they can't sell it. I told her I just bought another copy at the mall, and she was like "well we have to listen to our computers, sorry"

I hate Best Buy....

Does anyone have a Star Ocean 3? I have some guides to trade for it, like PM, KH, and some of the other recent BB guides.

bread's done
Back