Patapon 2 UMD Release in the US A Year Late

bojay1997

CAGiversary!
Feedback
0 (50%)
A couple of people on another message board have posted pictures of a new version of Patapon 2 released in the US on UMD. Apparently, one found it at Fry's and another got their copy at Gamestop. Does anyone know anything about this? They posted pictures of the case and UMD and they both say SCEA and appear to be recent as there is a logo on the bottom proclaiming the game to be 2009 IGN Game of the Year which wasn't really awarded until December 2009, some six months after the download version was released. The case also has the new style PSP bar on top and lacks the yellow download voucher warning bar. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this at local stores. I'm thinking it's part of the new $10 line of UMDs that Sony talked about and which was discussed briefly on several sites like Joystiq. I'm curious to see what else will be released and really confused as to why Sony hasn't announced this at all. Does anyone have any info about this at all?

Sadly, I don't have any info for you...

...but I'd love to have Patapon 2 on UMD, and if this was a $10 UMD release (like Pixel Junk Monsters) I'd buy it immediately.

The Game Stop outside of Metrocenter mall in Phoenix, AZ. I'm in there weekly and this was just on the shelf new for $9.99 (not discounted). The guy at the counter was really confused as apparently it had literally just been stocked and not everyone in the store new about the release. It was listed as as a US SKU (UCUS 98732). It's in the current PlayStation branding on the case, Region 1, etc...

Found the June 1st, PS Blog post about this release as part of their new $9.99 favorites line.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/01/new-promotions-for-psp-this-june/

Pays to check the stores regularly. Score!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo proof I found on another forum:

4AV1M.jpg

Guess that means the voucher-only (previous release) Patapon 2 is no longer gonna be sold now that a UMD version exists at $9.99.

Just received the UMD version from Amazon, exactly like the pic above, even though it clearly said downloadable game voucher on the website.

Just picked up a copy from TRU. Out of the three copies of Patapon 2 they had, only one was UMD... the other two were still vouchers. Given the area I'm in, I'd say it's reasonable to assume they may have actually only gotten one UMD copy.

I'm glad they finally put this out on UMD, because I refused to get it as a download. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ah well, I already own the PSN version. The voucher was on clearance at Target for like $4 or something and I couldn't resist. I'm really enjoying it.

Saw this at TRU. Made sure it was the UMD version by looking in through the side. Picked it up as part of the B1G1/2 sale going on.

I'm kind of on the fence on which version to pick up. On the voucher only version, the included box and manual was enough for me since most digital downloads don't give you a physical artwork.

I mean the download voucher has the benefit of being downloaded to up to five other PSPs, but no physical media. The UMD is nice to have with all my other UMD games, but I don't want to loan it out to friends, to find out it got stolen or destroyed.

I think Sony is starting to realize that there are A LOT of people out there that either aren't technical enough to connect their consoles/handhelds to the internet, or just flat out refuse to do it.

Small sample size of course, but I feel there's a lot more of these type of people out there than us (who visit gaming sites, blogs, forums, etc.)

I was in Gamestop on Sunday night talking to the manager and someone (male about 16-24) comes in looking for shooting games on PSP. The manager doesn't own a PSP but offers a used copy of Resistance and asks me for suggestions, and I suggest the Syphon Filter games, of which they only have Dark Mirror in stock. They then go around to the new section and the conversation turns to SOCOM. The manager asks if I've played it which I say I haven't, but it's a well-reviewed game but the customer will want to buy it new as there's the $20 charge to play online if its a used/pirated copy.

I leave for a bit to gather my things from the store I work at next door I had closed earlier and I remember the price drop on the SF games to $10 each so I go back in to suggest to the manager to sell the guy a PSN card. Apparently my short back-and-forth with the manager about the SOCOM online charge (he couldn't believe it was $20) caused the customer to ask questions because apparently he didn't know PSP's had internet access.

The manager tried to explain the PSN concept and how to connect the system (not sure if the guy had a PS3) but the guy was just lost and the manager didn't want to get him upset and just sold him SOCOM.

Then there's the case of my older first cousin (4 years older than me.) He was the one who got me into videogames full time when he moved in with my family briefly in 1990 but he is now part of the "casual" audience for games as he's mainly a Wii/DS owner but does still have a fat PS2 and a original XBox.

He has broadband access that is not Verizon Wireless (a somewhat rarity in southern Illinois) and I've talked with him about the concept of digital purchases (asking him if he hooked up his Wii to download old NES games he enjoyed) and he went off on a mini-tirade saying the concept was stupid because it was too complicated, too time consuming, and people want to buy something than can actually hold.

If you think about it, there's a significant amount of people that fall into either camp. The best-selling digital purchase game of all-time on the consoles (that we know of) is Battlefield 1943 at like 1.5 million purchases. If you sell 500K of a digital game, it's a smash hit.

Granted there's the smaller cost to greater profit margin factor, but when the top selling disc games are in the tens of millions, it makes you wonder how many people never connect their consoles online. Look at Madden that last year had 300K users try the online modes once and then never came back.

Looking at my friends list on the 360 of 98 people (2 spots are CAG-related group tags) I would say 10% of them are Silver members full-time, or are only Gold members when particular games come out they want to play online (UFC, Halo, etc.) I know another person who works in computers, but doesn't even have a Live Silver account because he just doesn't want to mess with it or bother setting up parental controls.

I can understand the parental aspect, but another friend and I have tried to convince him to convert to a Silver tag as there's all kinds of tabletop games on XBLA that he would love (as tabletop gaming is his true gaming passion) but so far our cries have fallen of deaf ears.

So in short, it's no surprise to me that Sony is putting out a UMD version of this now, and that you can guarantee if there is a PSP2/PSP 4000 revealed at TGS, it will still have physical media as the primary way of playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a much more in-depth analysis than I was going to offer, but the sentiment remains the same. Honestly, I think Patapon 2 being out on UMD is a clear indication that Sony realizes that DD isn't viable just yet. That was their 'big' DD-only title, and it wouldn't be out on UMD if it sold like they hoped. To further that, even though the Go was mentioned at E3, it seemed like the regular PSP took the spotlight more.

To further that even *more*, and get a bit conspiracy on you, it wouldn't completely shock me if the reason we didn't get to see a PSP2 at E3 was because it was supposed to be DD-only and is the process of being revamped after the colossal failure that is the Go. I'm reaching a bit here, but it's just a thought I had.

So, yeah, basically, I think this is Sony quietly admitting defeat with DD. They aren't really trumpeting this release either, which speaks volumes, given that a UMD announcement would've driven sales at least a bit.

With my older cousin, I forgot to mention one of the reasons he became more of a casual gamer is that he can't play anything that is first/third person or he gets sick from dementia. He doesn't like sports too much (although he's super excited for NBA Jam) but his main games now are racing, GH, and Nintendo stuff. He was a huge Resident Evil fan back in the day, but now he can't play them. When I visited with my family over Christmas, I took RE 5 with me so he could see all the cut scenes from the game (he loves both of the RE rail gun gameson the Wii.) He's also a SF fan and always wants to play it when I come to visit, but no one else he knows likes those games so he hasn't played them lately, although he may get Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at some point.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I think Sony is starting to realize that there are A LOT of people out there that either aren't technical enough to connect their consoles/handhelds to the internet, or just flat out refuse to do it.

Small sample size of course, but I feel there's a lot more of these type of people out there than us (who visit gaming sites, blogs, forums, etc.)

I was in Gamestop on Sunday night talking to the manager and someone (male about 16-24) comes in looking for shooting games on PSP. The manager doesn't own a PSP but offers a used copy of Resistance and asks me for suggestions, and I suggest the Syphon Filter games, of which they only have Dark Mirror in stock. They then go around to the new section and the conversation turns to SOCOM. The manager asks if I've played it which I say I haven't, but it's a well-reviewed game but the customer will want to buy it new as there's the $20 charge to play online if its a used/pirated copy.

I leave for a bit to gather my things from the store I work at next door I had closed earlier and I remember the price drop on the SF games to $10 each so I go back in to suggest to the manager to sell the guy a PSN card. Apparently my short back-and-forth with the manager about the SOCOM online charge (he couldn't believe it was $20) caused the customer to ask questions because apparently he didn't know PSP's had internet access.

The manager tried to explain the PSN concept and how to connect the system (not sure if the guy had a PS3) but the guy was just lost and the manager didn't want to get him upset and just sold him SOCOM.

Then there's the case of my older first cousin (4 years older than me.) He was the one who got me into videogames full time when he moved in with my family briefly in 1990 but he is now part of the "casual" audience for games as he's mainly a Wii/DS owner but does still have a fat PS2 and a original XBox.

He has broadband access that is not Verizon Wireless (a somewhat rarity in southern Illinois) and I've talked with him about the concept of digital purchases (asking him if he hooked up his Wii to download old NES games he enjoyed) and he went off on a mini-tirade saying the concept was stupid because it was too complicated, too time consuming, and people want to buy something than can actually hold.

If you think about it, there's a significant amount of people that fall into either camp. The best-selling digital purchase game of all-time on the consoles (that we know of) is Battlefield 1943 at like 1.5 million purchases. If you sell 500K of a digital game, it's a smash hit.

Granted there's the smaller cost to greater profit margin factor, but when the top selling disc games are in the tens of millions, it makes you wonder how many people never connect their consoles online. Look at Madden that last year had 300K users try the online modes once and then never came back.

Looking at my friends list on the 360 of 98 people (2 spots are CAG-related group tags) I would say 10% of them are Silver members full-time, or are only Gold members when particular games come out they want to play online (UFC, Halo, etc.) I know another person who works in computers, but doesn't even have a Live Silver account because he just doesn't want to mess with it or bother setting up parental controls.

I can understand the parental aspect, but another friend and I have tried to convince him to convert to a Silver tag as there's all kinds of tabletop games on XBLA that he would love (as tabletop gaming is his true gaming passion) but so far our cries have fallen of deaf ears.

So in short, it's no surprise to me that Sony is putting out a UMD version of this now, and that you can guarantee if there is a PSP2/PSP 4000 revealed at TGS, it will still have physical media as the primary way of playing.[/QUOTE]

So true. Most of my friends (Mid 20s) dont even hook up their PS3s to the internet. I try to explain to them that there is a Playstation Store on their console that lets them buy games from their controller. Mind you they are technically capable, but it seems like too much work for them to even bother

Pata 2 is only $7.50 on the store right? I might try it out, I passed on the first one. I love the idea of digital downloading on portables, but the Go was just so damn ugly.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Ah well, I already own the PSN version. The voucher was on clearance at Target for like $4 or something and I couldn't resist. I'm really enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

Same here although I might've paid $7. Sucks though, I would've shelled out for the UMD if I knew it would be an option in the future. Let me just sell this digital copy and... oh yeah. fuck.

Picked this up today from a local store in my area. Will sell/trade to a CAG'er as soon as I beat it. It' s listed in my trade list now. Thank god for UMD. Digital downloads suck (unless it's PS1 games or Mini's).

I'm fine with downloadable games/content on a hard drive (PC, PS3, etc) but I don't want a couple hundred MB file sitting on my 1gb PSP memory stick.

if somone that has picked this game up confirmed on UMD in the US and can help me out with picking me up a copy as well Ill throw in some extra $ for your effort. I tried all 4 local Gamestops, Toys R' Us, and Wally World, no go at an of them. Its probably the same UPC as the DLC one and these stores that all have em in stock probably wont get the UMD ones til they move the DLC version. PM me here or email me ulasa_mosa at hotmail.com. Thanks to whoever can help.

Ulasamosa, already e-mailed you a few times/pm'd on here. Just click grab this game from my trade list, for the price we discussed.

bread's done
Back