Patapon $20 In stores NOW!

yeah, still haven't had any luck with the demos... i'm quite jealous of the lucky ones who've scored them. i can't wait to play this game!

Those with a CFW who don't want to wait for their gamestop to get the demo, it's up on the torrent sites. This is good for me because my gamestop gets demos and such AFTER the game comes out usually...

OK my local Gamestop (tempe/chandler) just got them in today. I stopped by on the way home from work and he had a handful of demos, so I pre-ordered and was on my merry way. :)

Finally got my firmware updated and the demo working and woo, it's fun. I've only played a couple levels/missions so it's hard to tell how the gameplay holds up, but so far it's really just fun to play.

Pata pata pata pon...

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']What firmware does the game require?[/quote]

I think you're OK as long as you have any reasonably recent version. I had 3.40 OE-A and the demo would stall on the loading screen, but I blame the CFW. If it was an issue with the firmware being too old, it probably would have told me when I tried to launch it.

Sigh...my local Gamestop has 12 copies (for 4 preorders) in transit (so they told me yesterday). Unfortunately they didn't make it in today's shipment so hopefully tomorrow (even if that does mean that I have to brave the mall on a Saturday)

Yay, just got mine. I'll have to give it a whirl later. The guy at GS said it was pretty great and was stunned at the $19.99 price.

USE HEASPHONES...that, or make sure it's absolutely silent in your home. The timing is very strict in this game it seems. Still a blast, though. I was playing this while waiting for class and i had my headphones on and my friend said i was 'bopping' a lot.

Stopped by my local Gamestop today during lunch and they didn't have them in yet. The store manager took my pre-order and said they should be in on Monday or Tuesday of next week and to come back and show my receipt and he'd have one for me.

[quote name='SynGamer']USE HEASPHONES...that, or make sure it's absolutely silent in your home. The timing is very strict in this game it seems. Still a blast, though. I was playing this while waiting for class and i had my headphones on and my friend said i was 'bopping' a lot.[/QUOTE]
Yeowch, strict timing? Sounds like Rhythm Tengoku.

timing is important but it has a small amount of cushion. the hardest "timing" part is the very first string of commands after you get the fever. The beat of the song is bombarded with different sounds making it difficult to keep time with. When you play the demo i would suggest to collect everything that you want before you finish it.. collect coins/items because as soon as you finish you save and have to restart...BTW. you cant use the item in this game you can only use it in the full version.

Anyone know how many levels are in the demo? I cleared the 2nd stage, then went to obelisk again to go to next stage and it wouldn't let me select it.. Maybe i'm missing a criteria for the next stage?

I just finished playing through the demo. It's a fun game, and the timing is only a little strict. Though as mentioned before the fever sounds are pretty distracting, and these sections are where I messed up the rhythm the most. Also, perseverance is key to play through this demo, since it's pretty long for a demo (About an hour or two, depending on whether you replay the hunting area for materials) and you can't save at all until you beat the last mission in the demo. I hope it doesn't save the state of my army since
That dino boss, the demo's final boss, really tore through my troops, and I only beat him with two archers left out of a 8-patapon army.

The game that this reminds me of most in concept is...
Puzzle Quest. That is, like Puzzle Quest, it takes two distinctly different genres (Real-time Strategy and Rhythm), and successfully melds them together into an addictive and fun game that has the best of both the genres. Building up your army, balancing unit types, and equipping the soldiers looks like something that can get addictive, and the music and graphics are very notable, giving the game a very unique style to it.

I swear my local Gamestop must have their packages on the slowest possible shipment method since they have been "in transit" for several days now.

Oh well. Maybe they will finally get them on Monday.

So is this demo an exclusive level, or is it the normal beginning of the retail game but with a special weapon to use in the retail game?

It's about 3-4 levels from the beginning of the game. Mild demo spoiler:
At the end of the last level, you get the special weapon and then have a chance to save your game to continue in the full retail version.

[quote name='metaly']It's about 3-4 levels from the beginning of the game. Mild demo spoiler:
At the end of the last level, you get the special weapon and then have a chance to save your game to continue in the full retail version.
[/quote]

...3-4 levels before or after the beginning of the retail game? If after, then that would mean you're actually losing 3-4 levels of gameplay when you continue in the retail version (which is hardly a spoiler ;)).

I'm assuming it's "after" the beginning, as in you'd play the same levels when you start up the retail version. I wouldn't consider it losing 3-4 levels. You're just playing them a little early.

The demo is awesome. I wish I replayed the levels more, since it makes you start over once you save at the end of the demo. I can't wait until this come out. IT IS ONLY $19.99 TOO!

Went got the demo today as well. I thought you get penalized harshly for missing the beat. I don't like that you can't freaking pause.

What's with this new ish in games and not pausing? Mofo I gotta pee sometimes.

Tried it out tonight. The timing is pretty brutal.

I had to turn it off since I realized I don't have time for it tonight, and since you can only save when you're all done, I want to have a good group heading into the retail game. I'll get back to it later.

A pair of headphones makes things a lot easier. Really, as someone mentioned earlier, it's right after the 'fever' when the music starts picking up that it's hard to time, but it's manageable. Gonna be a fun little game once it comes out.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Went got the demo today as well. I thought you get penalized harshly for missing the beat. I don't like that you can't freaking pause.

What's with this new ish in games and not pausing? Mofo I gotta pee sometimes.[/quote]

Yeah I hate that too that you can't pause.. speaking of which.. Viewtiful Joe games have the best pause feature... hehe I forget what the announcer always says but some pretty good things.

Hmm what happens if you go into sleep mode when you want to pause? will that work?

I played through some parts of the Japanese version and I noticed that the boss fights in this game get a bit tedious...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I didn't think the timing was that hard at all. I only missed it a couple times during the whole time.[/quote]

Timing isn't an issue really at all as you said. I liken it to playing Simon in reverse. They are following you and not the other way around. It gets tricky once you need start making tactical decisions during battle. You really have to pay attention to what your Pons (heh, pawns) are doing. When they are ready to attack you'd better get on that attack pattern before your enemy gets to you first.

I'm digging this game, just not the lack of pause. It's such a glaring flaw that I couldn't recommend this to everyone. It's a big fat 'wtf?'

btw, the dialog in this game is freaking hilarious. "Peace out" lol what littel tribal person says that. Pons and Gons do.

And the Sleep feature on the PSP is manual so you can do it for anything.

Don't have the demo, but I'm 99% sure you can pause the full game. I have a friend with the import, I can check later if needed.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Don't have the demo, but I'm 99% sure you can pause the full game. I have a friend with the import, I can check later if needed.[/QUOTE]

I heard on 1UP Yours, you can't pause in the retail version (they said they had the retail version already). Just put the PSP into sleep mode.

Picked up the Demo today, and beat it. Can't wait for the full game.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Don't have the demo, but I'm 99% sure you can pause the full game. I have a friend with the import, I can check later if needed.[/quote]
I have played the japanese version of the full game and pausing is still impossible in it.

Well it's easy to keep the rhythm, but it's hard to get the timing right that you get the perfect sounds, if you know what I mean.

I've also noticed that once you have different commands it is still easy to differentiate between them. (so far I've unlocked about 4 commands)

bread's done
Back