Path of Exile

Well we're through Cruel. Between the start and Lioneye's Watch we ran into like 3 or 4 rare enemies, and had a 6 slot armor drop. Thats all the further we went though.

I got lucky last night and my vendor had a six socket chest piece that I needed. Unfortunately I wasted all my fusings trying to get at least four sockets linked (which never happened).

My buddy gave me a six socketed Ivory Bow last night. I too, wasted all my crap trying to get a 5 or 6 link out of it. Good news is that I think the colors are already good. I wanna put Lightning Arrow, Ice Arrow, Lesser Multi Projectiles, Pierce, Life on Hit, and maybe Increase Rarity or Attack Speed on it. I also need to get a 4 link chest that I can put some other stuff on. Probably Poison Arrow + Fork for starters.

Just booted this game up. Enjoying it so far. Any tips for a newb? Decided to play a marauder. Seemed pretty basic, but im only lvl 5.

Save all your mats for when you reach higher levels (I usually start crafting when I hit 40 or so). Nothing worse than burning through all your Alchemy, Chaos, and Regals making low-level gear.

I'm burning through everything on a 6-slot bow trying to get 6 links.

Also if you are just starting out the currency system (or lack thereof) is kinda confusing. For crafting materials you can go HERE for a approximate conversion rate. I honestly still dont know what to trade gems and items for though.

Something you can do kinda early is check the vendors for and 3-link 3-color gear. Buy anything that has Red, Blue and Green all linked and you can sell it right back to the vendor for a Chromatic orb.

Also selling certain groups of items to the vendors gives different items. For example any group of pieces of armor that have a combines quality of over 40% gives an Armorer's Scrap. Weapons work the same way only you get a Blacksmiths Whetstone. More recipes can be found HERE.

And I really recommend researching your build early. Once you get up in levels, it becomes almost impossible to change your build. Take some time and look over the Passive Skill Tree and find skills you really want. From what I understand though, you have to build much more defense than offense in this game if you wanna get through Cruel and Merciless.

Pretty much take all the HP nodes in your tree that you can get your hands on. Health is king at higher levels.

[quote name='Waughoo']I'm burning through everything on a 6-slot bow trying to get 6 links.

Also if you are just starting out the currency system (or lack thereof) is kinda confusing. For crafting materials you can go HERE for a approximate conversion rate. I honestly still dont know what to trade gems and items for though.

Something you can do kinda early is check the vendors for and 3-link 3-color gear. Buy anything that has Red, Blue and Green all linked and you can sell it right back to the vendor for a Chromatic orb.

Also selling certain groups of items to the vendors gives different items. For example any group of pieces of armor that have a combines quality of over 40% gives an Armorer's Scrap. Weapons work the same way only you get a Blacksmiths Whetstone. More recipes can be found HERE.

And I really recommend researching your build early. Once you get up in levels, it becomes almost impossible to change your build. Take some time and look over the Passive Skill Tree and find skills you really want. From what I understand though, you have to build much more defense than offense in this game if you wanna get through Cruel and Merciless.[/QUOTE]

3 of the same color or all 3 colors? Like Red-Red-Red or Red-Blue-Green? I pretty much pick everything up and sell it

Finally made it to Merciless in Hardcore (after leveling like 3 characters to 50+ because I was getting bored).

My main is finally to the point where I can farm Merciless ledge solo and probably not die. Theres sometimes a rare or blue enemy or group I cant deal with. Usually ones with the life regen and life leech both. I cant deal damage faster than their regen.

My new ranger is like lvl 30 I think now, and so far is working much better. I've got most of her passives already, but I'm holding off on getting Blood Magic till I get my HP higher and I get a bow with enough links to use Life on Hit... also I need Life on Hit still.

Finally got my Marauder up to lvl 25ish. Picked up the Blood Magic and the never miss/never crit perk with a 2h hammer. Good lord I like making things explode with the infernal blow gem. That KATHUNK is just so satisfying.

Anyone looking to get rid of the sweep gem? I've got a Cleave that im lvling up if you're into the 2h swords.

Started a Marauder today just to get the Life on Hit gem you receive for the Siren quest. Wow Marauder sucks early. I'm not dying or anything, but all you do is stand there and swing your club at mobs. At least with the Ranger I kite and feel like I'm doing something. I guess Melee isnt my playstyle.

Also I do have a Sweep if you want it Slofton

[quote name='Waughoo']Started a Marauder today just to get the Life on Hit gem you receive for the Siren quest. Wow Marauder sucks early. I'm not dying or anything, but all you do is stand there and swing your club at mobs. At least with the Ranger I kite and feel like I'm doing something. I guess Melee isnt my playstyle.

Also I do have a Sweep if you want it Slofton[/QUOTE]

I found out you can get it from the 2nd quest as a Templar. I went ahead and did that this morning. Thanks though! Might I suggest getting lots of +hp on hit with infernal blow and sweep/cleave. Tons of fun making things explode

[quote name='Waughoo']Started a Marauder today just to get the Life on Hit gem you receive for the Siren quest. Wow Marauder sucks early. I'm not dying or anything, but all you do is stand there and swing your club at mobs. At least with the Ranger I kite and feel like I'm doing something. I guess Melee isnt my playstyle.

Also I do have a Sweep if you want it Slofton[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really, really hated Marauder on my first attempt. Just felt super slow and his accuracy is complete shit, so not only do you attack slow, but like one out of three attacks miss.

I then tried out freezing pulse Marauder and I'm now level 62 and am uber tanky while also doing pretty good damage. The first 30 or so levels suck though, up until you can really get good gear to support the build.

[quote name='slofton']The never miss, never crit skill is a game changer for a marauder. Especially if you use 2h.[/QUOTE]

Resolute Technique right? I saw it but it just states "hits can't be evaded."

With Evasion being a stat I wasn't sure, if it's *always hits*, that's pretty damn awesome!

I started a few days ago and I'm really liking the game. Great ambiance and style.

I actually switched my Marauder to use Ice Spear and Freezing Pulse and had fun with that. Got my Life on Hit, so I'm done with him for now.

I gave Life on Hit to my Ranger and made the switch to Blood Magic. At first I wasnt too sure about it. I did the math and I needed to hit 4 enemies with my Ice Shot/Pierce/Lesser Multi/Life on Hit attack to get my life cost for the spell back. But the gem levels up so damn fast, and it gains another 2 life each level. Now I'm getting like 14 life per hit, and only need to hit 2 enemies per attack which is pretty easy to do. At the rate it's leveling though, I'll have it down to like 1 enemy before long. Right now my friend and I are working through Cruel. Just killed the Warden, and it's been REALLY easy with this build.

Next order of business is find a 5-link piece of gear, and work my way across the bottom of the skill grid. I'm working towards Iron Reflexes and am going to pick up Berserking and maybe Golems Blood along the way. Once I get to Iron Reflexes I'll grab Unwavering Stance too, no point in taking it before hand. I think it'll take me like 15 levels to get all there. After that it's all life nodes and maybe some IAS if I can find some.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Resolute Technique right? I saw it but it just states "hits can't be evaded."

With Evasion being a stat I wasn't sure, if it's *always hits*, that's pretty damn awesome!

I started a few days ago and I'm really liking the game. Great ambiance and style.[/QUOTE]

Basically you never miss. It can still be clocked but it goes from hitting 50% or the time to hitting 95% of the time. This skill really makes a difference.

[quote name='Waughoo']

Next order of business is find a 5-link piece of gear, and work my way across the bottom of the skill grid. I'm working towards Iron Reflexes and am going to pick up Berserking and maybe Golems Blood along the way. Once I get to Iron Reflexes I'll grab Unwavering Stance too, no point in taking it before hand. I think it'll take me like 15 levels to get all there. After that it's all life nodes and maybe some IAS if I can find some.[/QUOTE]

What 5L are you looking for? I'll keep my eye out for ya.

Also, if anyone starts finding some summon skellies/zombie gem can you let me know? my next char is going to be a summoner.

[quote name='slofton']Basically you never miss. It can still be clocked but it goes from hitting 50% or the time to hitting 95% of the time. This skill really makes a difference.

What 5L are you looking for? I'll keep my eye out for ya.

Also, if anyone starts finding some summon skellies/zombie gem can you let me know? my next char is going to be a summoner.[/QUOTE]

I need a 5-L bow. Obviously higher level is better, or of course 6-L. I'm really not sure what I need armor-wise. Since I'll be using Iron Reflexes and probably Armour Master, I can use either Evasion or Strength based gear. Most of the gear I'm looking for right now has Life(+Max, on hit, or Regen are all good)/Strength/Increased Attack Speed (only available on Bows I think, but maybe Gloves too?)/Increased Movespeed (boots obviously).

Right now I have a 3-L bow and a 4-L armor. So my armor has my main attack on it while my bow just has Lightning Arrow, Poison Arrow and Fork all together.

I do have a couple Raise Zombie Gems and a Summon Skeleton. No quality on them though.

Actually I've got a lot of the common gems if people need them.

[quote name='Waughoo']I need a 5-L bow. Obviously higher level is better, or of course 6-L. I'm really not sure what I need armor-wise. Since I'll be using Iron Reflexes and probably Armour Master, I can use either Evasion or Strength based gear. Most of the gear I'm looking for right now has Life(+Max, on hit, or Regen are all good)/Strength/Increased Attack Speed (only available on Bows I think, but maybe Gloves too?)/Increased Movespeed (boots obviously).

Right now I have a 3-L bow and a 4-L armor. So my armor has my main attack on it while my bow just has Lightning Arrow, Poison Arrow and Fork all together.

I do have a couple Raise Zombie Gems and a Summon Skeleton. No quality on them though.

Actually I've got a lot of the common gems if people need them.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep an eye out for ya. They'd easily be trade-able for any good 2h maces :D (aka free when I find them lol)

Ha! My buddy gave me his Quill Rain today to play with. Holy crap 3+ attacks per second is crazy. Too bad the damage is so low. I think I might play around with some different stuff on it though.

Yeah, we've got two of them between my group of friends and I. Its fun, but the 50% decreased damage makes it only good up until a point.

I guess it used to be good with explosive arrow + pierce. EA stacks with each hit (up to 5) but it wont explode if you keep re-stacking it. So pierce used to cause it to blow without the delay. They fixed that though, now it's not so great.

Found an Exalted Orb last night, and pretty much nothing else. Anyone know how much a Lioneyes Gaze Bow goes for? I know it's really high-end gear as most rangers use them if they can get them.

Updated the first post with some useful websites.

I've got my ranger set up a little better now. Still running the freeze arrow/pierce deal, but now I have a Frenzy/Weapon Elemental Damage/Faster Attacks/Life on Hit for single targets.

Worked well on everything I tried last night until the Act 2 boss. He was 1-shotting me with his laser. I'm not sure if I need to hurry up and get Iron Reflexes or spend more points on Life.

Heres my build so far

Friend of mine died in HC on his 66 Templar. Merciless Vaal literally one-shot him. It was pretty funny. I wound up re-rolling (AGAIN) with him. We're doing dual Templar dual totem builds. We got to 40 in a day. He's doing dual fire totems and I'm doing dual spark totems. The ability to clear full mobs in mere seconds is kind of dumb.

The only downside is that people in pub groups are morons and think we're standing around doing nothing, because once we cast two totems, we cant use spells, so all we do is curse. We get all kinds of derps yelling at us to "DO SOMETHING", all while our totems are raping everything while they stand there typing.

This is why I try never to play with pubs. My buddy is using a Witch with GMP Fireballs and has Flame Totem as a extra ability. He spends most of his time on Merciless Ledge just dropping a totem every so often so he can farm orbs. Seems like totem builds are kinda OP right now.

Totems are definitely...good. We can farm SO easily, but if stuff does wind up getting to us, it becomes a mad dash to try and gain enough distance to cast another totem uninterrupted. So yeah, they do a lot of damage, especially in small concentrated areas, but you are left pretty vulnerable at times if you aren't careful.

Doing MF runs on Merciless Brutus with my friend. We're both right around 300%. That said, we're doing it with the Wondertraps, so we both BM Purity to get our HP low. I'm at 129HP with like 1500ES. Our last run I apparently almost died. On his screen Brutus pulled me and did his ground slam thing. On my screen I just walked away from him. I wouldn't of even know unless my friend said something. Sure enough I look at my health and he took me down to 100ES. De-syncing is awesome.

I'm to the point where I'm going to need to open a forum store just to get rid of my gems I dont need. I've almost got a full page.

I kinda wish they would add a recipe for gems. Like any 5 gems will give you a new random gem with some quality on it. The quality of that gem would depend on the quality of the gems you sold. That way you can get rid of all your 0-10% quality gems and maybe get a better one.

Got a build link for your templar? I just started one yesterday because my buddy just started playing. I looked around at a couple templar builds, but I wasnt thrilled with them.

Got my Ranger to Merciless last night. I had to drop a couple life nodes in exchange for some resistances. I've got some better gear now though, had lucky rolls on some rares.

Sucks being poor though, saw 2 different Lioneyes Glare bows for sale and couldn't even offer enough to warrant a reply.

I'm not sure there really is a totally OP Ranger. I'm not sure how mine is gonna do tomorrow after the new patch drops. Theres a change to LOH that I dunno how bad it'll hurt me.

Hey last night I found a decent gem. Got Reduced Mana with 10% quality. I took my 5L bow off my old Ranger and gave it to the new one, but I might need to re-roll the stats on it as it doesnt really help my new guy. But with the Reduced Mana and that bow, I was able to switch Lesser Multi Projectiles out for Greater. I still need to hit 2 enemies for any life gain, but once I get the gems leveled abit I think I'll be ok.

I think the Bow Marauder is supposed to be the better one. Just because he gets access to so much life early, and is near Blood Magic and a couple other good passives.

I'm up to act 2 Merciless now.

Yeah found out the ranger really isnt the mindless op clicky class im looking for. Wanted to make something for the "Oh I just worked 12 hours and now im brain dead" days.

Trying out a summoner

Summoner isn't that either then. You have to really pay attention to your summons HP and whatnot. I've tried quite a few builds and the two to me that have been the most mindless are a dual totem Templar and a freezing pulse Marauder. Both wind up tanky and only rely on one skill. The Templar winds up doing a lot more damage though.

[quote name='SEH']Summoner isn't that either then. You have to really pay attention to your summons HP and whatnot. I've tried quite a few builds and the two to me that have been the most mindless are a dual totem Templar and a freezing pulse Marauder. Both wind up tanky and only rely on one skill. The Templar winds up doing a lot more damage though.[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing about totems. What are they?

Wiki
They are skills that place a totem on the map. Theres a few different kinds...

Decoy Totem - Taunts nearby monsters.
Devouring Totem - Destroys nearby corpses and leeches their life to you.
Flame Totem - Acts like a flamethrower.
Rejuvenation Totem - Grants aoe life regen.
Shockwave Totem - Deals aoe physical damage.
Ranged Attack Totem - Uses a linked bow or wand skill gem. Uses your equipped bow or wand for the damage.
Spell Totem - Uses linked spell skill gem.

Man they really need to get to work on the lag issues. I've died probably 5 times or so in the last week from lag glitches. Usually I'll have no enemies on screen, and no debuffs on me. Then I'll suddenly take damage a couple times as if an enemy just hit me, then I'm dead. Theres been a couple instances where I am magically teleported into a group of enemies.

I wouldnt care that much, but I'm doing a lot of XP farming and hate losing an hours worth of work due to bugs.

It's the desyncing. It's always been and always will be an issue, unless they completely redo their netcode. Funnily enough, that's how the top HC guy (94) died. He got smashed by Vaal despite not being anywhere near him. It's also how my friend just died in HC. He leap slammed into another area, two seconds later those fire dogs magically appeared on his screen and insta-killed him.

It's just something you're going to have to play around. It'll probably get better over time but it'll never fully go away. If you want to reduce it, don't use movement skills (Leap Slam, Lightning Warp, Whirling Blades) and don't use Quicksilvers a lot. We also did some testing and it appears that Incinerate causes some very minor desync issues.

You can type /OOS (Out of Sync) into chat to see just how desynced you truly are at times.

Well I was going to put all my extra gems up for sale today, but the gem price calculator is down. Awesome. I know the site didnt give perfect values for gems, but I liked having a ballpark figure. I could put them up as auction, but I know I'll get only one or two people buying and both of them will be trying to screw me over on price.

bread's done
Back