PC games that cannot be resold - is this a new trend?

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
In all the fuss about MW2's multiplayer (which sucks, I admit), I'm surprised that there isn't more fuss about an even greater disadvantage of the PC version - it cannot be resold since it is steam activated.

Games like MW2 usually keep their trade-in value for a long time on consoles - in fact I sold my 360 MW1 to TRU for about as much as I bought it for, just as I did with L4D1.

One of the reasons I don't like buying stuff on steam unless it is super discounted is that I can't transfer the game for a friend to play or sell it. But it pisses me off to no end that a game I buy retail, like MW2, has the same restriction now. I see that as a much greater thread to PC gaming than multiplayer issues, because now consoles have a clear advantage rather than just the PC sucking to console level.

Are any other games like that? I've been avoiding L4D for the PC because of the possibility.

(And before I get bashed for breaking the MW2 boycott: My XBOX 360 RROD so I had no choice, and I prefer mouse control for COD. If I'm at my XBOX, I play Halo anyway).

Most modern PC games have always had little to no resale value due to the CD-keys and other types of protection.

L4D and L4D2 are no exception. They are Steam activated games. If you wanted to sell your games, you would have to give away your account information for these digitally distributed games, but it is against Steam TOS to give out info or sell your account (but who would know).

[quote name='kilm']Most modern PC games have always had little to no resale value due to the CD-keys and other types of protection.

L4D and L4D2 are no exception. They are Steam activated games. If you wanted to sell your games, you would have to give away your account information for these digitally distributed games, but it is against Steam TOS to give out info or sell your account (but who would know).[/QUOTE]

I've been out of the PC-gaming arena for several years (last thing I played was Warcraft 3, which I ended up selling afterwards with no problems...) I thought that most retail games had CD-keys but didn't actually register or check them against a central server. It was more of a legal "we're showing effort".

I'm not sure but I could've sworn steam allows you to transfer a game permission to another account for certain titles. I guess this means you could set up a sale and then transfer over the ability to play the game after it goes through but I'm not 100% sure on this. You might want to look into it.

[quote name='sotc1988']I'm not sure but I could've sworn steam allows you to transfer a game permission to another account for certain titles. I guess this means you could set up a sale and then transfer over the ability to play the game after it goes through but I'm not 100% sure on this. You might want to look into it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the Steam gifting system

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

[quote name='uricmu']I've been out of the PC-gaming arena for several years (last thing I played was Warcraft 3, which I ended up selling afterwards with no problems...) I thought that most retail games had CD-keys but didn't actually register or check them against a central server. It was more of a legal "we're showing effort".[/QUOTE]
Your Warcraft III would have had the same issues if you had continued to play it. The CD-Keys are checked so that if people have the same CD-Key they cannot play at the same time.

Pretty much any game with online play is going to have that problem.

I wouldn't buy a "rental" game on PC. Buy 360/PS3, beat it and sell it.

I'm new to Steam, but actually like the auto-updates and being able to download my games without looking for the cd and cd-key. Just buy multi-player games you'll enjoy, a solid community, or single player games when they're on sale.

Steam purchases to date:
Left 4 Dead 1&2
Mass Effect $10.00 sale

I've got a question. I bought MW2 at Gamestop and installed. During the install when it asked for the 2nd disc, it stalled and couldnt install after multiple tries. I downloaded it from Steam with the CD key and been playing it. I exchanged it for another copy thinking it may be faulty, but got a new key now, and haven't registered it yet. Would there be any probs down the road?

[quote name='boneless']I've got a question. I bought MW2 at Gamestop and installed. During the install when it asked for the 2nd disc, it stalled and couldnt install after multiple tries. I downloaded it from Steam with the CD key and been playing it. I exchanged it for another copy thinking it may be faulty, but got a new key now, and haven't registered it yet. Would there be any probs down the road?[/QUOTE]

You ultimately have a new CD key to use for another Steam account. A new and "free" MW2 copy.

[quote name='kilm']You ultimately have a new CD key to use for another Steam account. A new and "free" MW2 copy.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity , what happens with the old CD key? i realize I'm covered as far as having a copy for myself, but hate get the old cd key invalid after palying it through and have to register a new key and maybe start all over.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Your Warcraft III would have had the same issues if you had continued to play it. The CD-Keys are checked so that if people have the same CD-Key they cannot play at the same time.
Pretty much any game with online play is going to have that problem.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised then that GameStop paid me cash for a clearly used copy then. I thought that they have a ban list of games that cannot be reactivated and WC3 wasn't exactly an obscure title...

[quote name='kilm']Sounds like the Steam gifting system

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549[/QUOTE]

No. Steam Gifting merely gives someone else the right to download and activate a copy that I paid for and haven't played:

"A Steam gift purchase is a one-time transfer—after the recipient has activated and installed the game, it is a non-refundable game in his or her Steam games collection. Also note that you may only gift new purchases—you may not transfer games you already own. That’d be like wrapping up and presenting the toaster you’ve used every morning for the past year."

Contrast that with buying MW2 on the 360, which I can play and sell.

I wonder if eventually 360 games would do these sort of checks, as that would kill the used games market. I suppose PC games are such a small percentage (And are often pirated) that places like GS don't really care.

I wasn't referring to how the gifting system is a legitimate means of transferring already-played games. I was referring to how it can be used as a means to sell/transfer new un-played games.
Imagine a situation where a customer who wasn't interested in L4D2 becomes interested in the game. Someone who has an extra game from the 4 pack deal could offer it to him or sell it to him. That's what I was referring to (again not talking about used games).

Just out of curiosity , what happens with the old CD key? i realize I'm covered as far as having a copy for myself, but hate get the old cd key invalid after palying it through and have to register a new key and maybe start all over.

You are covered for your copy and it won't be invalidated... ever. Really, you have a brand new copy of MW2 to do whatever you want with it while still having your original copy fully functional on Steam.

Anyone who purchased MW2 on PC should be stuck with it for life as a reminder. That said, there's really no market for used PC games anyways.

[quote name='Jodou']Anyone who purchased MW2 on PC should be stuck with it for life as a reminder. That said, there's really no market for used PC games anyways.[/QUOTE]
Oh good. I was hoping you'd bring this up. It really adds to the discussion.

[quote name='kilm']I wasn't referring to how the gifting system is a legitimate means of transferring already-played games. I was referring to how it can be used as a means to sell/transfer new un-played games.
Imagine a situation where a cust(again not talking about used games).[/QUOTE]

Right, but that's my point. If I buy a console game at $60, I fully expect to be able to trade it in for $20. I often also get better incentives on the console games (e.g., the TRU $20 gift cards on things like Force Unleashed or the recent Batman), making it an even sweeter deal. If I buy the same game at the same cost for PC and can never sell it, I have an inferior and more expensive thing on my hand.

I consider this a much greater disadvantage than multiplayer issues and stuff like that. If you're used to selling your used games (and not to GS), going with the PC effectively increases what you'll pay in the long run. And of course, you can't buy the games used to begin with. I was very happy with my 5$ Bioshock for the 360 that I got here on CAG.

[quote name='Jodou']Anyone who purchased MW2 on PC should be stuck with it for life as a reminder. That said, there's really no market for used PC games anyways.[/QUOTE]

I think that the main reason for this is that PC games either had sucky protection (so people would just copy them instead of buying), or too good of a scheme. In addition, having come from outside of North America, I would argue that consoles are only this dominant in this market and in Japan. Everywhere else in the world, consoles and their games are way too expensive and games arrive late. An XBOX might be locked to region 2, but a PC game never is.

Back when I lived in another region, we never bought DVDs, since the region protection scheme meant it will take them ages to ever show up in the stores or the cinema. We just got a ripped copy from the US that we could play on any computer. Same for games.

[quote name='uricmu']Right, but that's my point. If I buy a console game at $60, I fully expect to be able to trade it in for $20. I often also get better incentives on the console games (e.g., the TRU $20 gift cards on things like Force Unleashed or the recent Batman), making it an even sweeter deal. If I buy the same game at the same cost for PC and can never sell it, I have an inferior and more expensive thing on my hand.

I consider this a much greater disadvantage than multiplayer issues and stuff like that. If you're used to selling your used games (and not to GS), going with the PC effectively increases what you'll pay in the long run. And of course, you can't buy the games used to begin with. I was very happy with my 5$ Bioshock for the 360 that I got here on CAG.[/QUOTE]

The majority of PC games can be bought for $10 less than the console version at release. Couldn't the lower cost of PC games be the incentive to save money?

While it cannot be traded back/sold, you are already getting the game at a lower cost.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']The majority of PC games can be bought for $10 less than the console version at release. Couldn't the lower cost of PC games be the incentive to save money?

While it cannot be traded back/sold, you are already getting the game at a lower cost.[/QUOTE]

Or wait for them at Big Lots for $6. :lol:

[quote name='Bloodbooger']The majority of PC games can be bought for $10 less than the console version at release. Couldn't the lower cost of PC games be the incentive to save money?

While it cannot be traded back/sold, you are already getting the game at a lower cost.[/QUOTE]

Except in this case we are discussing MW2 which was actually sold as a $60 PC game and is the same price as its console brethren.

I know. It sucks.

Actually, most major releases have pretty good promotions (e.g., the $20 TRU gift card), and that is typically only on the console version as most TRUs don't carry PCs. I haven't bought a $60 game in a long time.

bread's done
Back