PC Modern Warfare 2: it's much worse than you thought

[quote name='kilm']Well Rage for the PC isn't getting dedicated servers.

Time to panic?[/QUOTE]They haven't said definitively yet on that. But if they do, i'll be skipping that too. There are plenty of AAA games for PC i can play instead.

I own all consoles too btw. I won't touch a FPS on them though. The mouse is just soo much more precise. Unfortunately that precision goes out the window w/ P2P hosted games (& the big-hitboxes + lag that comes w/ it)

My order of game preference goes PC -> 360 or PS3 -> Wii

But some genre's i will only play on some platforms:

• FPS -> PC
  • RTS -> PC
  • RPG -> PC, or Console (if it's exclusive)
  • Sports -> Console
  • Racing -> PC, or Console (if it's exclusive)
  • Puzzle -> All

[quote name='TURBO']They haven't said definitively yet on that.[/QUOTE]

True. Looks like the new AvP might also not get ded servers. It also seems that a few developers are doing the wait and see approach on MW2, see how all that ends up.

Just a cancelled my Amazon pre-order. Even a $20 gift card isn't sufficient enough to get me on board with a gimped PC version. Now I have $40 to pick up a couple of other less expensive games. Thank you Activision and IW.

I found this amusing

drawing2.png

Since I got my computer up to par, I've been switching out my preorders to :pc: from :360:. Not so with MW2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']It's a console version running on a computer, more or less. Words can't describe the terribleness.[/QUOTE]

exactly. and it's unforgivable; they had way more than enough money to do it proper. IW even turned down extra money Activision offered them for development.

I can imagine in now. people playing the map then the person who IW.NET chose to host the game on P2P, their anti-virus starts running and everybody starts lagging like crazy.

or their windows update automatically restarts their computer. or they just quit the game. and there's a 5-10 second delay.

Not to mention ISPs who will start to throttle upload as soon as they see heavy activity (a common practice). So IW.NET runs a test and says oh you have an uplaod enough for 9 on 9 then the game starts and the ISP throttles and every1s game turns to a slide-show.

not to mention all the people who are going to hack & the fact that since there's no more kick and no more dedicated servers there's nothing to do about it but quit the game.

I am really disappointed, first the $10 price hike and now all the news about IW.net. They should really take a note of Valve and learn to give and accept support from the community that are enjoying the game, ultimately the game is for the players. These changes just don't make any sense.

well i got my order in for about 35 bucks shipped, so im keeping it. I'll play the single player, give the multi a try. If it sucks, i'll migrate over to Bad Company 2 [which looks like a hell of a lot of fun]. Doesnt much matter to me. Personally my bread and butter was in the servers that forced tactical HC rule sets, iron sights only and all that jazz. Found this a lot of fun and its what kept me playing. Since this isnt possible i really doubt i'll bother with MW2 long.

It really is incredible how ignorant they are though. Like the article said they must not have one serious red blooded PC gamer among them any more. I'll be very curious to see if treyarch mod the game to bring it back to normal for COD7. I have a feeling they will. I personally dont totally understand the legitimate benefit for even doing this. PC games have been around for well over a decade without this streamlined shit, we arent retarded.

I still think they're doing this so they can charge PC users for DLC and make more money, not to help them. In the end its usually always about greed.

Well I'm not getting this now. I didn't read the link that was posted but from what all you are saying it is just a ported over console version and the p2p like on live when seeing up online play. I would rather pick the servers like all or most FPS. I'm going to stick with the first MW. I wondered after giving all the new maps in the first one for free on the PC if they would keep doing that in the new one. I see now that all signs point to no. I will hold of and get this for cheap on the 360 that I hate to due or get it on the PC.

I almost expect this game to have big fugly menu buttons without mouse support, and with controller shortcuts.

[quote name='kilm']Well Rage for the PC isn't getting dedicated servers.

Time to panic?[/QUOTE]

Rage isn't a multiplayer centric game with a tacked on 4 hour long single player campaign like MW2.

It's a singleplayer centric game with a tacked on multiplayer since every game has to have MP now.

codmw2m20091113232214.jpg

The kicker about that image...It's from the PC version. (Proven because it says IWNet on top) They didn't even bother to localize the game completely. How stupid.

Woooowowowowow thanks IW for making me feel like a moron...

I told my friend we should get MW:2 for PC because like CoD4 it was sooo much more accessible and fun (online tournaments, leagues) but now...the console version is more superior...by FAAR

I will pirate this game...and buy it USED on the 360...who let's these guys get away with this stuff?

Well that shows that the PC is a port of the 360 and the programmers just didn't give a shit. They should have changed that for the PC version to what ever the PC version uses. I would guess it is IWNet it should say or Windows Live. I can see how one or 2 would over look that but a team of programmers and I'm sure playtesters had that issue come up atleast a few times. I wonder if IW will ever make this right for the PC or just say the hell with the PC version.

[quote name='SuxoR']who let's these guys get away with this stuff?[/QUOTE]
The millions of people who bought and supported this bathroom disaster did. I'm utterly disgusted by it, but it is what it is. IW is already laughing their way to the bank, sadly.

[quote name='Jodou']The millions of people who bought and supported this bathroom disaster did. I'm utterly disgusted by it, but it is what it is. IW is already laughing their way to the bank, sadly.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a jealousy issue. You gotta stop being so butt hurt and whining and crying about its success. Whether it's the best game or the worst game ever, it sold well and there is nothing you can do about it.

The real question is not "who let them get away with it?" It is "who can stop them?" PC gamers feeling butt hurt? OH NOES NOT THEM

[quote name='kilm']Sounds like a jealousy issue. You gotta stop being so butt hurt and whining and crying about its success. Whether it's the best game or the worst game ever, it sold well and there is nothing you can do about it.

The real question is not "who let them get away with it?" It is "who can stop them?" PC gamers feeling butt hurt? OH NOES NOT THEM[/QUOTE]
And yet you defend them, through and through. Not that their actions could ever have repercussions within the PC industry.

A bit naive I think.

[quote name='redshadow']

The kicker about that image...It's from the PC version. (Proven because it says IWNet on top) They didn't even bother to localize the game completely. How stupid.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! :lol: (also cause the 360 doesnt have F1 & Esc keys ;) )

[quote name='redshadow']

The kicker about that image...It's from the PC version. (Proven because it says IWNet on top) They didn't even bother to localize the game completely. How stupid.[/QUOTE]
HAHAHA I'm so glad I didn't buy it on PC. And they want people to buy into pay-to-play COD online? :roll:

Hold on so for a LAN game you have to have an internet connection? Doesn't that make it pointless? If anything it makes it sound like it is just a private server. So a LAN game is now a PS game?

This thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

So many computer geeks whining because the world's most popular game doesn't support their favorite features. Wah! Go boycott Left 4 Dead 2 while you're at it.... the rest of us will be enjoying the best action games available. Seriously - we all know the game isn't geek editor nirvana. Either play it or don't, but don't brag about how you're so glad you'll pirate it... it's against the CAG rules, and it's incredibly petty.

And I've gamed on TI-994A, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC, Mac, even a Coleco Adam.... and every console system known to man, so I've got my own predilection to computer geekery.

So many computer geeks whining because the world's most popular game doesn't support their favorite features. Wah! Go boycott Left 4 Dead 2 while you're at it...

Look everyone! Sheep. Let me guess, you're also thinking the next step is paid-for online services with every game you purchase, right?

[quote name='bburpee']the rest of us will be enjoying the best action games available[/QUOTE]
Call of Duty 4 aka MW2 with more features?

[quote name='bburpee']This thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

So many computer geeks whining because the world's most popular game doesn't support their favorite features. Wah! Go boycott Left 4 Dead 2 while you're at it.... the rest of us will be enjoying the best action games available. Seriously - we all know the game isn't geek editor nirvana. Either play it or don't, but don't brag about how you're so glad you'll pirate it... it's against the CAG rules, and it's incredibly petty.

And I've gamed on TI-994A, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC, Mac, even a Coleco Adam.... and every console system known to man, so I've got my own predilection to computer geekery.[/QUOTE]
That was a great story. You should tell it again!

And I've gamed on TI-994A, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC, Mac, even a Coleco Adam.... and every console system known to man, so I've got my own predilection to computer geekery.[/QUOTE]

Trollface_HD.jpg

Sup.

[quote name='kilm']A bit ignorant I think.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rqLUDfl26Y&hd=1[/QUOTE]
Ignorance would suggest I'm uninformed, yet I've already acknowledged the facts. I love how you follow me from thread to thread and tell me how I'm not allowed to hate on IW/Activision just because the game sold well. The fact of the matter is I'm not alone in being disgusted and we could care less what the lemmings think.

In closing: be a factor in this thread please.

Thought I'd pass this along to anyone wanting to mod their game to unlock console, tweaks, etc. I've not used the tool myself (since I don't have the game), so use at your own risk.

[quote name='sendme']Hold on so for a LAN game you have to have an internet connection? Doesn't that make it pointless? If anything it makes it sound like it is just a private server. So a LAN game is now a PS game?[/QUOTE]
it's not actually LAN. it's WAN P2P. just like on most console games.

the only thing "LAN"ish about it was the people playing each other were in the same room. but their computers were not in a LAN network config. They were all going out to the internet before coming back to the guy sitting right next to them :lol:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 beta starts on the 19th on PS3.
Then in Dec on PC.
Then demo early next year.
Then the game in march.

So that's what i'll be playing. :cool:

P.S. if any1 has a PS3 IGN is giving out keys for the beta
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/battlefield-bad-company-2/

can get a feel for it before the PC demo in Dec

Glad I got the Xbox 360 version. I felt the same way when I bought Borderlands for PC thinking it would be a great PC game instead it was a watered down port of the console version. Horrible menu screens, game options and horrible field of view.

Hold on so Borderlands for the PC is crap too? I was thinking about getting it some time for the PC. What FPS on the PC are not going to crap now?

It's retards like this en masse that are slowly killing everything in gaming that was once good.

It's only going to get worse. Pay to play will be next. $60 game (don't forget paying for "DLC" that's on the disc already on day 1), $50 xblive + $15/month to play the game on IWnet or whatever service... pay pay pay pay pay pay pay. It's just a matter of time as long as the sheep keep swallowing it.

[quote name='sendme']Hold on so Borderlands for the PC is crap too? I was thinking about getting it some time for the PC. What FPS on the PC are not going to crap now?[/QUOTE]Borderlands uses P2P too yea.

it's not as bad though since it's only 4 ppl & co-op; so bandwidth is less of a problem & lag is more tolerable because it's not competitive.

a game like MW2 using it is unforgivable though. it just doesn't work.

on console the only reason it's passable is because the guesstimation done to try & hide the lag is made up for by a mild aim-bot everybody has (to make up for the higher difficulty in aiming w/ analog sticks).

[quote name='TURBO']
Battlefield Bad Company 2 beta starts on the 19th on PS3.
Then in Dec on PC.
Then demo early next year.
Then the game in march.

So that's what i'll be playing. :cool:

P.S. if any1 has a PS3 IGN is giving out keys for the beta
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/battlefield-bad-company-2/

can get a feel for it before the PC demo in Dec[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad my PS3 is in for repairs right now :whistle2:(

How did Bad Company 1 compare to BF2? I played BF2 for maybe 300 hours but I quit after all the expansions and BF2142 came out.

EDIT: Hmm looks like it wasn't even released for PC. I'm going to assume it was a fairly big step down then. Oh well hopefully BC2 is good. I sort of want a new multiplayer FPS other than L4D2.

Tell us when you're done riding the company's dick.

I'm playing it on PC. I miss dedicated servers and I hate dying due to lag, but the game is still fun. Better than playing with a controller!

bread's done
Back