PC Version of Alan Wake Officially Scrapped

plasticbathmonki

CAGiversary!
I haven't been following this game, but I still don't like MS sticking it to PC gamers.

[quote name='IGN'] PC Version of Alan Wake Officially Scrapped

Microsoft explains the cancellation.

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, February 15, 2010 - The PC version of Alan Wake has officially been scrapped.

We first heard in July rumours that Remedy had refocused their efforts on the Xbox 360 incarnation of the game, but this is the first time Microsoft have publically commented on the matter.

In a statement to Strategy Informer, a Microsoft spokesperson said: "Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

The Xbox 360 version - which was been shown off at X10 in San Francisco last week - will be released on May 18 in the US and May 21 in Europe.
[/QUOTE]

It's MS trying to introduce exclusive IP.... like Halo....

but that's just stupid though.... because of the Halo exclusivity... I never bothered to buy the halo games.

*use his Chris Rock voice*
I am not supporting pirates...all I'm saying is 'I understand.'

[quote name='xycury']but that's just stupid though.... because of the Halo exclusivity... I never bothered to buy the halo games.[/QUOTE]

And Halo has been hurting in sales ever since.

There's a petition already 13k strong, but it won't change anything. I honestly hope it doesn't sell well to send a strong message from the PC community. Then again, the hype already burned out long ago for this game and many people might be saying 'Alan Who'?
[quote name='xycury']It's MS trying to introduce exclusive IP.... like Halo....

but that's just stupid though.... because of the Halo exclusivity... I never bothered to buy the halo games.[/QUOTE]
You didn't miss anything.

Doesn't matter that much to me. Was only planning on renting it for 360 and then if it came out on PC getting it for $10 or less. Still sucks though.

[quote name='Megazell']*use his Chris Rock voice*
I am not supporting pirates...all I'm saying is 'I understand.'[/QUOTE]

Ya, I don't blame MS for using a nice secure system like the Xbox 360.

Oh wait... :roll:

Well at least we won't have another game where KB/M controls feel like crap.

[quote name='mogamer']Ya, I don't blame MS for using a nice secure system like the Xbox 360.

Oh wait... :roll:

Well at least we won't have another game where KB/M controls feel like crap.[/QUOTE]

Word on the high seas is that Jack Sparrows already got his hands on a working version. :)

With microsoft publishing i have every confidence they will produce a PC version. The word "exclusive" means very little with microsoft [Halo, Mass Effect].

Though them even saying that does piss me off in a way. Remedy became popular only due to the PC via Max Payne. So its an FU to their fans though not entirely their fault since it primarly falls on the shoulders of the publisher. And of course all the demos they've been running on PC components over the years [e.g. poster child for Intel Quad Core]. They've been stringing people along plenty long enough and i know PC gamers were looking forward to the game long before it was announced for the 360. Imagine if DNF finally came out and was a PS3 or 360 exclusive?

Just a cheap and perhaps mildly desperate way to try to move more console units in my opinion. I want to buy they game, yea, but it in no way, shape, or form is a system seller to me. I wont even bother with the 360 version and i own a 360. I like my PC games and if they dont want my money they can just fuck off.

my 2 cents.

But like i said, its Microsoft so i'd be damn shocked if they didnt port it over eventually. Its free money. Capcom and Konami understand that which is why we've seen their heavy hitters like SF, RE, and SH games even though i'm sure their sales arent that great.

Lol, if they did eventually port it to the PC I wonder how they'd explain the change of heart. It's not like they even have a valid excuse for canceling the PC version to begin with, but the explanation would be priceless I'm sure.

I bet since obviously it took forever to complete the game on 360, they just scrapped to PC version to complete the 360 version and come out close to the Heavenly Rain release. I am not a PC gamer for many reasons, but looking at Batman AA on my 9800GT at 1080P I can see that the Console and PC version differ so little, that from a publisher/developer prospective that the larger profit and "smaller" piracy is with Console and tech support is far less for a Console game over PC....

[quote name='mercilessming']I am not a PC gamer for many reasons, but looking at Batman AA on my 9800GT at 1080P I can see that the Console and PC version differ so little, that from a publisher/developer prospective that the larger profit and "smaller" piracy is with Console and tech support is far less for a Console game over PC....[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because graphics are the ONLY reason we choose PC. Kids these days. . .

And it's not about profit margins for the developer per say, it's because M$ wants to control that flow of money in their own best interest. Forcing people to buy it on their console guarantees that all future DLC, any online elements, et cetera go directly into their pockets. The developer is already in their pocket, so it's not like they will suffer any from less sales (and trust me, it would sell more units overall if released on the PC). You just have to read between the lines, because it's just business.

[quote name='Megazell']*use his Chris Rock voice*
I am not supporting pirates...all I'm saying is 'I understand.'[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Single player only games really do get hit incredibly hard. It's a shame because as Ubisoft said, they're now going to shoehorn multiplayer in to every game to decrease used game sales and piracy.

I thought it was canceled half a year ago. Still kind of looking forward to this. I mean they did make Max Payne 1 and 2. I'll probably end up buying this on Goozex in maybe a year.

Never played the Max Payne games. Now I am thinking I should. I saw the trailer for this when G4 was at e3 and liked it. I never knew it was to come out on the PC. From the sounds of it this thing would have been great on it. I will support PC gaming by not getting this now on the 360 and hold out on it for the PC. I usually only get FPS on the PC and all the other stuff goes to the 360 or PS3.

I'm really getting sick of Remedy's ignorance and backpeddling. M$ tells us it's not coming; Remedy tells us they haven't thought that far ahead and finally admits what we knew all along, which is M$ is running the show. From a company that is 'betting the farm' on Alan Wake, they sure aren't scoring high in the PR department. This just reeks of internal strife, which comes as no surprise considering who they have to deal with.

The fact of the matter is they can't stick to one story and that just leads me to believe all the excuses are a facade.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm really getting sick of Remedy's ignorance and backpeddling. M$ tells us it's not coming; Remedy tells us they haven't thought that far ahead and finally admits what we knew all along, which is M$ is running the show. From a company that is 'betting the farm' on Alan Wake, they sure aren't scoring high in the PR department. This just reeks of internal strife, which comes as no surprise considering who they have to deal with.

The fact of the matter is they can't stick to one story and that just leads me to believe all the excuses are a facade.[/QUOTE]

Who cares though? Or, why do you care? If a company does not want to sell a product to you (especially a product that falls into wants) it's there lost...will they go under? Probably not...will they cry over the lost of your patronage? Probably not...there are tons and tons and tons of other games out there for you to play and enjoy. If the company does business in a way you are on comfortable with, then don't do business with them. Period.

It's their company, they can do what they want.

It's your time and money...spend it wisely.

Complaining...about a game...Not worth it.

No, you're right. I'm just bitter that my excitement for something I've been following for five years ended this way. It's not like it was canceled altogether, but I try to support PC games whenever I can and the custom mods are always reward enough.

[quote name='Jodou']No, you're right. I'm just bitter that my excitement for something I've been following for five years ended this way. It's not like it was canceled altogether, but I try to support PC games whenever I can and the custom mods are always reward enough.[/QUOTE]

It happens. When I was younger, I would get dismayed by issues like this from countless companies. Nowadays, I just sign up for a newsletter and have my Searchbot filter set to 'released.' That's all I care about :)

Besides, Jack Sparrow and the crew will have this on the PC soon enough ;)

[quote name='Megazell']Besides, Jack Sparrow and the crew will have this on the PC soon enough ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, totally. Just like they also have console exclusive games like Gears of War 2 on the PC and Little Big Planet on the PC.

Heh, a straight port like that would suck on the PC TBH. It just wouldn't be the same!

The more I read between the lines of Remedy's comments, the more I think they expect to be shut down after release and hence nobody would be around to make the PC version anyways.

[quote name='kilm']Yeah, totally. Just like they also have console exclusive games like Gears of War 2 on the PC and Little Big Planet on the PC.[/QUOTE]

Poor guy. He needs a friend :(

bread's done
Back