Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

I'm at 12/3,
shame they left the mystery limp for so long. I picked "I can't do this" instead of "Calm the fuck down" and got the bad ending. I think that's kind of bullshit. But I like where the story is going now.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm at 12/3,
shame they left the mystery limp for so long. I picked "I can't do this" instead of "Calm the fuck down" and got the bad ending. I think that's kind of bullshit. But I like where the story is going now.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's sort of BS how easy it is to get the bad ending.

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, it's sort of BS how easy it is to get the bad ending.[/quote]

Agreed. It irked me that even holding down triangle, it still takes roughly 8 minutes to get to where you open up the decision tree. My third attempt I finally got to move past it, but I got the two other endings on the other attempts.

Just made it to Nov and maxed my knowledge and courage in anticipation of Naoto's s.link.
I bet she has the biggest tits of all the girls.

The only stat that's not max level is diligence. How important is that one anyway? I dunno if I want to spend time working on that past 4. I'm trying to max as many s.links as I can as I approach the end of the game. I'm got half my teammates, my uncle and cousin, death (which was surprisingly easy to level), and devil. I still haven't started tower yet but I will soon. The rest of the links are mostly around 4 ~ 5.

[quote name='cletus']Just made it to Nov and maxed my knowledge and courage in anticipation of Naoto's s.link.
[/quote]

Based on the conversation in the hospital when Naoto
has everyone get a physical, I'll bet she does.

[quote name='cletus']Just made it to Nov and maxed my knowledge and courage in anticipation of Naoto's s.link.

The only stat that's not max level is diligence. How important is that one anyway? I dunno if I want to spend time working on that past 4. I'm trying to max as many s.links as I can as I approach the end of the game. I'm got half my teammates, my uncle and cousin, death (which was surprisingly easy to level), and devil. I still haven't started tower yet but I will soon. The rest of the links are mostly around 4 ~ 5.[/QUOTE]

If you're trying
to make it a serious relationship, you have to reverse the S. Link at level 6 I believe.
Also,
you can get her to wear a special outfit, depending on one of your answers. Check a FAQ.

What's a good level to be at to whoop the bosses for the regular and true endings? I don't mind grinding, I just need to know when to stop.

The guide recommends 78 and 84, respectively.

I was 76 and 82 though, didn't have too many problems. It's possible to beat it lower as long as you play smart and have good personas.

[quote name='JEKKI']
also... check THIS out:

http://apps.evilrobotstuff.com/persona4/fission.php

Persona Calculator.

California Potato Powers for life![/QUOTE]

It's an ok reference guide for beginners. But if you don't have some of those persona, it get's kinda confusing. There's no tri fusion regarding Tower or World. A fusion chart is far more accurate since fusion is based on type of arcana and there level.

The easiest fusion formulas to remember: fuse two of same arcana will devolve them. And three of same arcana will evolve one(doesn't apply to World or Tower).

[quote name='thelonepig']Based on the conversation in the hospital when Naoto
has everyone get a physical, I'll bet she does.
[/QUOTE]

Where does she hide it? It's not like she's packing some amazing heat. I don't see the big bumps. Unless it one those bizarre Anime thing that magical appear.

[quote name='pete5883']What's a good level to be at to whoop the bosses for the regular and true endings? I don't mind grinding, I just need to know when to stop.[/QUOTE]

That's easy to find out. Just look at enemies at field. If they get smaller, you know you level grind too much or above the recommended level.

[quote name='fatbeer']Where does she hide it? It's not like she's packing some amazing heat. I don't see the big bumps. Unless it one those bizarre Anime thing that magical appear.[/quote]

That's exactly what my wife said. I dunno though... tape?

[quote name='zewone']The guide recommends 78 and 84, respectively.

I was 76 and 82 though, didn't have too many problems. It's possible to beat it lower as long as you play smart and have good personas.[/quote]

Wow, I was like 76 when I beat the true ending boss.

I played it on my 60gig, and the only problem I had was that once it wouldn't recognize my save file. The next time I started the game though, it was fine. So, just have 2 or 3 save files, and you should be fine.

I just beat the 4th dungeon and wow, what an exausting boss.
I was fighting the sprite for the 3rd time, was running low on MP and MP healing items, it was 2 AM in the morning, and I was about to give up. But I finally defeated the sprite, and realized the boss didn't have much HP left, and defeated him in about 3 turns.
So glad I beat him instead of giving up, the cutscenes afterwards took forever (even though they were hilarious).

Maxed out all my stats (except Diligence) around early October. And besides Naoto & Rise my teammate's S.Links are all maxed. How I spend my time is becoming less & less overwhelming with only a few options a day.

[quote name='Rodimus']Maxed out all my stats (except Diligence) around early October. And besides Naoto & Rise my teammate's S.Links are all maxed. How I spend my time is becoming less & less overwhelming with only a few options a day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, doing all of the S. Links is really time consuming and overwhelming. I highly suggest filling up the 99% of compendium (Ultimate persona can only be obtain by beating good ending in new cycle) if your planning to replay the game in new cycle. Stuff like bonus experience from fusion don't carry over in new cycle and you don't want redo them again to reap those benefits. A level 10 S.Link fusion can guarantee you to unlock most of their skills unless it's high tier Persona.

Finally beat it. Woots.

I've really gotta learn to stop reading reviews and getting my hopes up, though. Game was nowhere near as great as reviews made it out to be. I'm too gullible... :(

I also need to stop reading reviews. fuckin AJ Glasser at Kotaku didn't quite ruin the mystery, but he sure as hell took all the fun out of it by saying
there are 2 fake culprits, then a real one, then a realer one that doesn't even make any sense.

Beat it last night. Final boss was easy at level 80, I can't imagine grinding up to 82.

I assumed I'd have forever to finish Nanako's S-Link. I left her 1 tick away from MAX when she disappeared, and subsequently never returned. Annoying.

I'm confused about something. Spoilers for P3 and P4:
On the P4 wikipedia page, it lists Elizabeth as a returning character. When do you see her? Is it during an Empress s.link scene, or something?

Just got my newest game informer and my God I always knew their reviews for RPGs were horrid but they gave P4 a 8 and a 7.25. An 8 I could deal with but a low 7 seems pushing it. The most annoying thing was the guys comments, he talks about how the story is so wonderfully told and a great story.....but how there was just far too much dialogue and even pushing x to just get through it as fast as he could it went on forever. Seriously WTF, thats like saying an action game has too much blood and even trying not to decapitate people you just felt disgusted or that a sports games roster is too in depth.....its just part of the fucking genre you dont mark a game down for it!

Wow, 7.25?! Eh but what do you expect, it's owned and published by Gamestop, Nuff said

I remember they gave Mario: TTYD like a 6/10 and got a lot of backlash for it.

I havnt played it yet so I cant judge too harshly. But when tons of reviewers and gamers alike are saying the game is an 9/10 I cant see giving the game lower then an 8. If you give it an 8 I could think ok it wasnt your cup of tea and you are reviewing from that sense. But when you get down in the 7 range thats when it starts to be an insult saying the game is average at best which seems kind of wrong. There are plenty of games or even whole series that I hate and think are overrated(metal gear immediately comes to mind)but even if I wasnt going to give the game a 9 I wouldnt give it a fucking 7 because I can recognize quality and where others will enjoy it.

Like I said the stupid the game has too much text comment was what really got to me!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm confused about something. Spoilers for P3 and P4:
On the P4 wikipedia page, it lists Elizabeth as a returning character. When do you see her? Is it during an Empress s.link scene, or something?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know where she is, but I can tell you it's not during an Empress S link scene.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just got my newest game informer and my God I always knew their reviews for RPGs were horrid but they gave P4 a 8 and a 7.25. An 8 I could deal with but a low 7 seems pushing it. The most annoying thing was the guys comments, he talks about how the story is so wonderfully told and a great story.....but how there was just far too much dialogue and even pushing x to just get through it as fast as he could it went on forever. Seriously WTF, thats like saying an action game has too much blood and even trying not to decapitate people you just felt disgusted or that a sports games roster is too in depth.....its just part of the fucking genre you dont mark a game down for it![/quote]

I don't recall if it was GI or EGM, but I read one review that marked the game down because the graphics weren't up to par with recently released PS3/360 games.

That's stupid, since the game is on PS2.... and all the JRPG's I've played on the current gen of consoles have been mediocre at best gameplay wise, which is all that counts in the end

[quote name='MSI Magus']I havnt played it yet so I cant judge too harshly. But when tons of reviewers and gamers alike are saying the game is an 9/10 I cant see giving the game lower then an 8. If you give it an 8 I could think ok it wasnt your cup of tea and you are reviewing from that sense. But when you get down in the 7 range thats when it starts to be an insult saying the game is average at best which seems kind of wrong. There are plenty of games or even whole series that I hate and think are overrated(metal gear immediately comes to mind)but even if I wasnt going to give the game a 9 I wouldnt give it a fucking 7 because I can recognize quality and where others will enjoy it.

Like I said the stupid the game has too much text comment was what really got to me![/QUOTE]

7 is not average. 5 is the average of 0-10.

I'd personally give this game a 7ish. Seems like a lot of people were willing to overlook a lot of the game's flaws (as pointed out by me and fatbeer earlier in the thread), but I wasn't.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']7 is not average. 5 is the average of 0-10.

I'd personally give this game a 7ish. Seems like a lot of people were willing to overlook a lot of the game's flaws (as pointed out by me and fatbeer earlier in the thread), but I wasn't.[/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of overlooking flaws. What you see as flaws, aren't to a majority of us.

I'd personally give this game a 7ish. Seems like a lot of people were willing to overlook a lot of the game's flaws (as pointed out by me and fatbeer earlier in the thread), but I wasn't.[/quote]

7 is average in the gaming world.

I'd personally give this game a 7ish. Seems like a lot of people were willing to overlook a lot of the game's flaws (as pointed out by me and fatbeer earlier in the thread), but I wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Yes 5 is average technically but when you look at reality 5 is by no means the average with video game reviews. Games that receive a 7 tend to be stuff like Katamari, GrimGrimoire, Growlanser and Crackdown which are average to above average titles. Meanwhile stuff that receives 5's tend to be turds no one ever wants to play such as Ribbit King.

I agree that on a scale of 1-10 5 is mathematically average.....but its not what reviewers seem to treat as the average.

I don't recall if it was GI or EGM, but I read one review that marked the game down because the graphics weren't up to par with recently released PS3/360 games.

People need to stop and relook at the way graphics are reviewed. I am playing Bioshock and GTA IV right now and I have to say there are some ugly as sin pats. Bioshock is gorgeous 90% of the time but my god do the charcter models look horrid. I would rather them not be a perfect example of 3D like a Persona game but everything is designed well then the character models take me out of the experience because they look horrid. GTA is the same, the city looks pretty good but the characters themselves dont look amazing what so ever.

A few JRPG Game Informer scores:
Lost Odyssey - 8.5
Tales of Vesperia - 7.25
Blue Dragon - 9
Eternal Sonata - 8.25
Persona 3 FES - 8.5

Overall Persona 4 is a better game than any of these IMHO.

[quote name='Rodimus']A few JRPG Game Informer scores:
Lost Odyssey - 8.5
Tales of Vesperia - 7.25
Blue Dragon - 9
Eternal Sonata - 8.25
Persona 3 FES - 8.5

Overall Persona 4 is a better game than any of these IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Lost Odyssey - 8.5
Tales of Vesperia - 7.25
Blue Dragon - 9
Eternal Sonata - 8.25
Persona 3 FES - 8.5

I also believe that they scored Suikoden 2 and ToD or Star Ocean 2(cant recall which)below a 7 in the same issue they gave Guardians Crusade an 8. That was the point I realized how much the mag sucked. I have gotten the magazine for years since even as little as I spend at gamestop(go go amazon and craigslist!)for $12 a year I find the magazine good toilet reading material and do get a few games at gamestop a year....and the mag has always just had a horrid problem with reviewing RPGs.

Wow, I didn't know GI has been around that long. I used to get it when they gave it away for free with the edge card. But now that I no longer buy used games from GS & they started charging for the subscription I said "fuck that"

Western gamers always complain about the lack of originality in JRPGs, and I totally agree. Very rarely do I play an RPG were I'm digging the story. I'm glad most reviews see that P4 is a step in the right direction and are encourging it.

[quote name='pete5883']
I don't know where she is, but I can tell you it's not during an Empress S link scene.
[/quote]
I heard that she's just referenced... something about her trying to do something with the MC from P3. Saving his soul, maybe? I'd imagine it's during the bonus fight with Margaret on the second playthrough.

Lost Odyssey - 8.5
Tales of Vesperia - 7.25
Blue Dragon - 9
Eternal Sonata - 8.25
Persona 3 FES - 8.5

I don't have a 360, but I would say Persona 3 FES is better than Persona 4. I'm playing Eternal Sonata on PS3 right now and it's a pretty average RPG, but I'm enjoying it and will at least finish it, unlike with Persona 4, which I just got too sick of to finish.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't have a 360, but I would say Persona 3 FES is better than Persona 4. I'm playing Eternal Sonata on PS3 right now and it's a pretty average RPG, but I'm enjoying it and will at least finish it, unlike with Persona 4, which I just got too sick of to finish.[/QUOTE]

What did you dislike about the game so much? You and the game informer guys are the only ones I have seen bitch about it and I visit a lot of forums and watch/read reviews at at least a dozen websites/mags. I just started the game today so wont judge your opinion, but whenever the praise is that overwhelming form critics and at forums I only see 1 person out of 100s bitch about the game....it makes me think the problem is with the person not that game.

Edit - Heh just checked Amazon and I just sold my Persona 4 Social Link pack for $110! Even after amazon fees will have made $100 off it! Hopefully this thing gets a re release since I would like to own it but $100 is too tempting....if nothing else hopefully it at least doesn't sky rocket to like $200 or something insane(highly doubtful)since I would kick myself.

Who cares what a game scored? There are better things in life than review scores. All that should matter to you is whether you like the game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't have a 360, but I would say Persona 3 FES is better than Persona 4. I'm playing Eternal Sonata on PS3 right now and it's a pretty average RPG, but I'm enjoying it and will at least finish it, unlike with Persona 4, which I just got too sick of to finish.[/quote]

I don't know. I liked Persona 4 better than Persona 3. As mentioned earlier by someone in this thread, Persona 4 actually has humor.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't have a 360, but I would say Persona 3 FES is better than Persona 4. I'm playing Eternal Sonata on PS3 right now and it's a pretty average RPG, but I'm enjoying it and will at least finish it, unlike with Persona 4, which I just got too sick of to finish.[/quote]

You must not be too sick of it since you keep coming back to the forums to talk about it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just got my newest game informer and my God I always knew their reviews for RPGs were horrid but they gave P4 a 8 and a 7.25. An 8 I could deal with but a low 7 seems pushing it. The most annoying thing was the guys comments, he talks about how the story is so wonderfully told and a great story.....but how there was just far too much dialogue and even pushing x to just get through it as fast as he could it went on forever. Seriously WTF, thats like saying an action game has too much blood and even trying not to decapitate people you just felt disgusted or that a sports games roster is too in depth.....its just part of the fucking genre you dont mark a game down for it![/QUOTE]

That's your first mistake to begin with, looking at reviews in Gameinformer. They don't have much credibility to begin with.

[quote name='Rodimus']Wow, I didn't know GI has been around that long. I used to get it when they gave it away for free with the edge card. But now that I no longer buy used games from GS & they started charging for the subscription I said "fuck that"

Western gamers always complain about the lack of originality in JRPGs, and I totally agree. Very rarely do I play an RPG were I'm digging the story. I'm glad most reviews see that P4 is a step in the right direction and are encourging it.[/QUOTE]

GI been there since Funcoland years. Until, it got bought by Barnes and Noble and many other video game outlets and rename it as Gamestop.

The whole purpose of Gameinformer is to increase preorders. Have you every wonder why they "World Exclusive Details"? The main reason is to pimp out preorder sales. Their (sub par)reviews are really just throw in.

According to game informer

10 - Outstanding. A truly elite title that is nearly perfect in every way. This score is given out rarely and indicates a games that cannot be missed

9 - Supererb. Just shy of gaming nivana, this score is a high recommendation because the game reviewed is head and shoulder above it's competition

8 - Very god. Innovative, but perhaps not the right choice for everyone. This score indicates that there are many good things to be had, but arguably so.

7 - Average. The game's features may work, but are nothing that even casual players haven't seen before. A decent game from beginning to end.

6 - Limited Appeal. Although they may be fans of game receiving this score, many ill be yearning for a more rewarding game experience

5 - Passable. It may be the obvious that the game has lots of potential, but its most engaging features could be undeniably flawed or not integrated into the experience

4 - Bad. While some things may work as planned, the majority of this title either malfunctions to varying degrees or it is so dull that the game fall short as a whole

3 - Painful. If there is anything that's redeeming in a game of this caliber, it's burned beneath agonzing gameplay and uneven execution in it's features or theme.

2 - Broken. Basically unplayable. this game is so insufficient in execution that any value would be derived in extremely small quantintes, if at all.

1 - Vehicle Voltron. What a poseur.

Since there is no standardize grading table, scoring may differ from varying sites. For most part, a 6 or 7 is consider average for video game critics.

10 - Must Have
9 - Amazing or consider as "Triple A titles"
8 - Great
7 - Good or average
6 - Fan of genre or average
5 - Passable
4 & below - Garbage games

Thanks for posting GI's score thingie, fatbeer. Personally I consider 7 "good" but not great or anything special. Interesting that they deem 7 such a low score in terms of what it conveys; everything they say for a 7 I'd consider a 6.

Also, :rofl: at everyone bitching at me about not liking the game. Seriously, cry some more. It's obvious I'm in the minority and that most people like it, so why do a lot of you seem so threatened by me and a review score by a magazine that's put out by a goddamn videogame retail store?

An interesting tidbit of info: The mythological gods Izanagi & Orpheus share a similar story in that they both decended into the underworld in order to save their spouse only to tragically lose them in their attempt. I just found it intersting since both are the main characters starting Persona in their respective games. I wonder if it's a coincidence or the creators specificlly wanted a tragic mythological god as the MCs Persona?

As you may tell I'm bored at work.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Also, :rofl: at everyone bitching at me about not liking the game. Seriously, cry some more. It's obvious I'm in the minority and that most people like it, so why do a lot of you seem so threatened by me and a review score by a magazine that's put out by a goddamn videogame retail store?[/quote]

Because you intimidate us. ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thanks for posting GI's score thingie, fatbeer. Personally I consider 7 "good" but not great or anything special. Interesting that they deem 7 such a low score in terms of what it conveys; everything they say for a 7 I'd consider a 6.

Also, :rofl: at everyone bitching at me about not liking the game. Seriously, cry some more. It's obvious I'm in the minority and that most people like it, so why do a lot of you seem so threatened by me and a review score by a magazine that's put out by a goddamn videogame retail store?[/quote]

Internet.
Serious.
Business.

[quote name='Rodimus']An interesting tidbit of info: The mythological gods Izanagi & Orpheus share a similar story in that they both decended into the underworld in order to save their spouse only to tragically lose them in their attempt. I just found it intersting since both are the main characters starting Persona in their respective games. I wonder if it's a coincidence or the creators specificlly wanted a tragic mythological god as the MCs Persona?

As you may tell I'm bored at work.[/quote]
According to the official P4 guide, yes. It was intentional.
Especially when you look at the final boss battle.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thanks for posting GI's score thingie, fatbeer. Personally I consider 7 "good" but not great or anything special. Interesting that they deem 7 such a low score in terms of what it conveys; everything they say for a 7 I'd consider a 6.

Also, :rofl: at everyone bitching at me about not liking the game. Seriously, cry some more. It's obvious I'm in the minority and that most people like it, so why do a lot of you seem so threatened by me and a review score by a magazine that's put out by a goddamn videogame retail store?[/quote]

I think you should keep it up, as I find contrasting opinions make for better threads.

However I think you should refrain from arguing with numbers until you learn what an average actually is.

bread's done
Back