Pervert films underaged girl - and then gets pissy when told to stop.

oh boo. that was my favorite. plus i thought i remembered they were going to prosecute the guy for assault or something.

This has always been some of my confusion with To Catch a Predator
Detective Patterson had worked for a suburban Dallas-metro-area police department for the last twenty-two years, had spent the last twelve of those years on SWAT, knew his tactics, knew his weapons. And he knew that Murphy was just a small town, with a population of ten thousand, and so you couldn’t expect all the cops in Murphy to be as well trained as he was. They didn’t have the resources. But still. How hard was it to avoid a cross-fire situation? Because that’s what he saw on those little gray-scale monitors every time an arrest was made: cross-fire situations. The cops on the Takedown Team would rush the suspect and surround him, guns leveled, and Detective Patterson winced when he saw it, because he knew that if those officers ever had to actually fire their weapons, well, they’d be just as likely to kill one another as the suspect. Sometimes he’d get a view right down the barrel of a Murphy cop’s gun, a perspective straight out of Doom, courtesy of a Dateline buttonhole camera, and in the same shot he’d get a view of another cop’s back.
Not to mention that the whole intensity level of these arrests, the way the Takedown Team would holler at the suspect, the way they’d throw him to the ground, the whole idea of even having their weapons drawn in the first place, all of that struck Detective Patterson as ridiculous. Just the other day, he’d been in a supermarket parking lot when he noticed someone who fit the description of a suspect in a bank robbery he’d been working. He called the sergeant, told him to send over some of the boys. And when his colleagues got there, you know how many guns were drawn, how much shouting was done? None. The officers walked up, introduced themselves, asked the guy to show some ID, and that was that. Sure, they had their holsters unsnapped, one hand near, but they didn’t need to take it to the next level. You hardly ever have to, not in the real world. All that business -- the guns, the tackling, the shouting -- struck Detective Patterson as pure and simple TV: It might look good on camera, but if you’re letting a camera influence how you do your takedowns, you’ve got a problem.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/predator0907-4#ixzz0zjX1HROG

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfkin']oh boo. that was my favorite. plus i thought i remembered they were going to prosecute the guy for assault or something.

This has always been some of my confusion with To Catch a Predator
[/QUOTE]

I wish I saw that episode before I saw Inside Edition's coverage of it. I was pretty surprised when they said Cheaters was fake, in hindsight it was much easier to pick up on the things in the show that weren't done so well. It's still entertaining, just a different type of entertainment now.

They do make it sound ridiculous with the guns like that. These predator dudes aren't the violent type or even really own guns either. They're definitely grimey fellows and I bet cops really hate em, even still it does sound like this is something the show does for dramatic effect. I bet they want to scare the other pedos too. Although some of them got caught by the show multiple times and keep coming back for more.

bread's done
Back