Phantasy Star Universe $19.99 at Amazon Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
This dropped so fast I couldn't resist!

I played the MP beta for a few days and it was pretty fun. Personally, I don't think I will pay for the online, but I enjoyed PSO offline enough to justify this.

Thanks lowgear!

oh crap... I was going to wait a while for the price to drop (and to spend time finishing all the new games I have), but 1/2 price?!?!

I loved me some PSO, so it looks like I might jump on this one. Thanks for the post.

Just bit on the PS2 copy for $19.99. Added the guide for under $35 shipped. Even if it isn't that good, figure I can run through it and put it up for sale and get back at least $25 or so, which will be nice.

I played the beta and it sucked balls. Single player might be worth $20 but multiplayer is worth ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!! There's a reason multiplayer has no free trial. It's total ass and Sega doesn't want you to find that out without stealing your money first.

Yep, that was quick. Also edit OP for the PS2 version price drop - the PC one is $39.99, not sure if that's a drop or not.

Any opinions on which console version is superior? I've been considering picking up a 360, and I was waiting until the last minute (Bioshock/price drop) but there are some tempting deals popping up for Christmas.

Does Wal-Mart still give store credit for purchases without a receipt? i.e. I buy this for my cousin, and he doesn't want it - can he return it to Wal-Mart instead of me having to deal with Amazon's return policy?

[quote name='2Fast']Any word if this may be a universal drop?[/QUOTE]

I just did a quick check of Gamestop and Circuit City's websites and their prices are still $60, so it seems kind of unlikely that it's universal.

If you're interested you may want to consider ordering now just to be safe.

aww crap, this was the pricepoint i told myself i'd get it at...and the venture brothers for 8.99 was the icing on the cake

damnit im down $41 bucks, damn you amazon

heh thanks OP

I was going to wait a bit before buying this game used from Gamefly but this price is even $10 cheaper. Thanks.

how is this compared to PSO? I remmeber those DC days bunch of dupers, cheaters online and not to mention PK.... :lol:

FF XI & Phantasy Star Universe is expensive when you play it. They charge monthly fees. I wonder Phantasy Star Universe have offline option ??

The offline play is totally different from the online play. They're like different games with the same controls. There is NO split screen.

[quote name='Masterkyo']FF XI & Phantasy Star Universe is expensive when you play it. They charge monthly fees. I wonder Phantasy Star Universe have offline option ??[/QUOTE]

There is a single player mode, which is the only reason you should buy this game since the online fee for what you get is crap.

I've played the single player for a total of 8 hours...and it's nothing like the single player in the original PSO.

The single player is completely story driven and is not fun. You're only going through the levels when there's a mission to complete. The fact that the offline character can only be used offline is stupid in itself, but is neeed to stop cheating.

So i would say, if you're an original PSO player, don't get this at alllllll if you're just going to paly the single player.

For all those of you wondering about PSU. Here's a mini review from me:

If you liked to played PSO online, it is like 10 times better. More of everyhing. More weapons, more character classes, more levels, a better mag evolution system. Just very cool. I love it.

Also your game data is stored on Sega's server so no character data loss like before. Also you can access your character from Computer or PS2 because they are on the same server. (I bought the PS2 version, my cousin bought the PC and installed on my laptop and I can access my character from both.)
If you played on Xbox or GC you will love it.

The 360 version is the same with superior graphics, but you can only play only with 360 players. Oh and it has voice chat instead of keyboard.

If you hated PSO online you will hate this game, it will not change your mind.

As far as offline. You cannot play PSO offline like you could on the GC version. Not even single player. Instead Sega made the offline game a stand alone RPG in the vein of the genesis Phantasy Star's but with PSO gameplay.

So if you like PSO get it, if not skip it, if yur not sure you can make so profit on Ebay. Personally I'm gonna get a couple, sell em to finance some Wii accesories.

[quote name='blair2100']

So if you like PSO get it, if not skip it, if yur not sure you can make so profit on Ebay. Personally I'm gonna get a couple, sell em to finance some Wii accesories.[/quote]

I wouldn't buy them to sell them...Unopened copies of the games from what i looked at have only been selling for an average of maybe like $32. And after ebay fees/gas/time/other expenses...it will probobl cost you money.

in my estimation, the whole game is crap, aside from the online bits.
I'm DYING OVER THIS, CUZ I PAYED FULL PRICE and was thusly, ripped the hell off.

unless you're inclined to waste another 10 a month, don't bother. and even then, probably wait? we dont get claws til the 8th.

[quote name='zuldane']After placing my order, the order receipt says:

...CD-ROM? WTF. When I click on the link on the order, it takes me to the X360 version. Has anyone confirmed with them that this listing is not a mistake and we are indeed buying the X360 version, not the PC?[/quote] I recently bought 2 copies of NHL 07 for PSP from Amazon, and my receipt said CD-ROM as well. I got exactly what I expected though. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

I loved PSO so much on the Gamecube and Dreamcast, so I assumed I would love this. I don't know how they did it, but when I got this for 360, it doesnt even feel like the same kind of game. I hated it from the moment I started playing PSU. I still can't put my finger on what it is that is SO wrong with it.

I ended up having it a week and returning it for full credit at EB. Sadly, my friend goes and gets the game and just loves it...so I bought a used copy on Ebay for $20 so we could play online. It came in the mail today and when I opened the package, it just made me wince. Guess Ill have to play it a bit.

[quote name='jousley']I loved PSO so much on the Gamecube and Dreamcast, so I assumed I would love this. I don't know how they did it, but when I got this for 360, it doesnt even feel like the same kind of game. I hated it from the moment I started playing PSU. I still can't put my finger on what it is that is SO wrong with it.

I ended up having it a week and returning it for full credit at EB. Sadly, my friend goes and gets the game and just loves it...so I bought a used copy on Ebay for $20 so we could play online. It came in the mail today and when I opened the package, it just made me wince. Guess Ill have to play it a bit.[/QUOTE]

I played PSO for like 200 hours over 2 systems, and I could not get into this game either. It felt TOO much like Monster Hunter for me. Monster Hunter is OK, but having to collect 25 different pieces to make something is just too much for me. Synthesis is crap compared to just seeing a red box and hauling ass towards it. I played PSU for about 7 or so hours in the extra mode(not story mode) and found NO weapons just "special" synthesis items.
Game is just not for me. I liked the story mode at first, but I could not even get through it. I did not like the gun things I had to use to stop those alien pod things(I don't remember their names). Just felt retarted.
I looked forward to this game for like a year and a half too.

[quote name='Rags']I played PSO for like 200 hours over 2 systems, and I could not get into this game either. It felt TOO much like Monster Hunter for me. Monster Hunter is OK, but having to collect 25 different pieces to make something is just too much for me. Synthesis is crap compared to just seeing a red box and hauling ass towards it. I played PSU for about 7 or so hours in the extra mode(not story mode) and found NO weapons just "special" synthesis items.
Game is just not for me. I liked the story mode at first, but I could not even get through it. I did not like the gun things I had to use to stop those alien pod things(I don't remember their names). Just felt retarted.
I looked forward to this game for like a year and a half too.[/QUOTE]

The fighting controls and attacks just feel broken for some reason. It was just so disappointing to finally get this game that i was looking forward to for so long...and it just felt half assed. The single player game felt like some thrown together mess and when I get online to play I saw 3 other people and this confusing ass town hub. I would have much rather had an almost clone of PSO with updated graphics and new items.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']if it is, then i'm in[/quote]

Didnt see a response............... But no there is not any split screen. I loved the previous versions but this is a bit different. You cannot create your own character until 5 chapters in the game and until then you have to stick with the cheesy voice acting and videos. All in all its a very average game. worth it at 60? Probably not(I bought it with a GC so I payed 10) worth 29.99? I would think so.

[quote name='jousley']The fighting controls and attacks just feel broken for some reason. It was just so disappointing to finally get this game that i was looking forward to for so long...and it just felt half assed. The single player game felt like some thrown together mess and when I get online to play I saw 3 other people and this confusing ass town hub. I would have much rather had an almost clone of PSO with updated graphics and new items.[/QUOTE]

A PSO clone with some updated graphics, new items, new character models(outfits, faces and shit like that), new levels & new enemies would have been great. I just don't know why they messed with the format so much. Changing the magic system, making guns run out of ammo and stuff like that

AND where the shit are the telepipes?????

[quote name='blair2100']For all those of you wondering about PSU. Here's a mini review from me:

If you liked to played PSO online, it is like 10 times better. More of everyhing. More weapons, more character classes, more levels, a better mag evolution system. Just very cool. I love it.

Also your game data is stored on Sega's server so no character data loss like before. Also you can access your character from Computer or PS2 because they are on the same server. (I bought the PS2 version, my cousin bought the PC and installed on my laptop and I can access my character from both.)
If you played on Xbox or GC you will love it.

The 360 version is the same with superior graphics, but you can only play only with 360 players. Oh and it has voice chat instead of keyboard.

If you hated PSO online you will hate this game, it will not change your mind.

As far as offline. You cannot play PSO offline like you could on the GC version. Not even single player. Instead Sega made the offline game a stand alone RPG in the vein of the genesis Phantasy Star's but with PSO gameplay.

So if you like PSO get it, if not skip it, if yur not sure you can make so profit on Ebay. Personally I'm gonna get a couple, sell em to finance some Wii accesories.[/QUOTE]
360 has keyboard support too.

[quote name='blair2100']
So if you like PSO get it, if not skip it, if yur not sure you can make so profit on Ebay. Personally I'm gonna get a couple, sell em to finance some Wii accesories.[/QUOTE]

Might want to look at the Ebay values before you do that, chief... the game isn't selling on Ebay for over $30 even brand new.

Not sure how many Wii accessories you're going to finance when you're breaking even or making a $2 profit.

I was one to complain about the $10 per month, but seriously at $30 you are saving more than enough to pay for the monthly fee. You would get 105 days of online play paid for compared to buying it at the original price.

Jeez, so much whining.

Here's some key notes:

-Single Player sucks
-Online doesn't

If you played the GC/Xbox/DC/PC versions of PSO, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy this.

I got mine for $40 with GCO the week it came out, and have no regrets. I enjoy this game very much so.

do u have to sign a contract w/ SEGA to ply online - $10/ month for how many months? what if i dont want to pay the monthly fee to play online?

[quote name='Ndolger']Jeez, so much whining.

Here's some key notes:

-Single Player sucks
-Online doesn't

If you played the GC/Xbox/DC/PC versions of PSO, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy this.

I got mine for $40 with GCO the week it came out, and have no regrets. I enjoy this game very much so.[/QUOTE]

I played the GC, and DC(both ver.1 and 2) and I just did not care for PSU. I'm not saying the game is downright bad. If it was by itself the game would be fine, but coming off of Phantasy Star Online it just is not as fun to me. I stopped playing Monster Hunster for PSP because I hated having to track down so many pieces to make a fricken sword. PSU made a bad move by mimicking that. I just don't want to pay to play this game online, just not that fun to me. I played about half the story, but just lost interest because the AI was retarted, and the inablity to save often. The missions took like an hour or sometimes more between be able to save, I just don't have that kind of time to be able to sit down and do that all the time. I just wish that I could save at any time like I could in PSO. TELEPIPES would have made this possible. Warp back to town and save, return with the pipe back to where you were when you quit.

If you have the time, I am sure some will enjoy the game. The graphics are good enough. The backgrounds are bright and colorful(which I like). The weapons and ability to equip a gun and sword are cool. I just did not enjoy the game enough to warrant playing over and over and over like I did PSO.

[quote name='ezwaffles']do u have to sign a contract w/ SEGA to ply online - $10/ month for how many months? what if i dont want to pay the monthly fee to play online?[/quote]

Yes you do have to sign a contract, or Sonic will come round and steal your children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back