Pick 5 for a Video Game Time Capsule.

haize

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
If you had to pick 5 game franchises or individual games to put in a time capsule for you or your children to play again 25 years from now what would you pick? Choices can be for any platform...

Its really hard to pick only 5, but off the top of my head i think my personal choices would be:

Megaman X Series
Grand Theft Auto IV
Zelda (i cant pick just one)
Starcraft
Metroid Prime Trilogy

I'll go with one from each of the past 5 generations:

1) Super Mario Bros. 3
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Xenogears
4) GTA: San Andreas
5) Fallout 3

Starcraft (with Brood War)
Planescape: Torment (with assorted mods and fixes)
Worms 2: Armageddon
Deus Ex (with Shifter)
Final Fantasy Tactics

Chosen for historical significance and/or how well I think they'll hold up.

...hmm in an attempt to cover as many generes and platforms in 5 games... here goes:
zelda collectors edition (gamecube/n64 adventure)
god of war the collection (ps3/ps2 action/puzzle)
orange box (xbox360 fps/multiplayer/puzzle/platformer...multiple genres)
fallout 3 goty (pc rpg)
super mario all stars (snes platformer)

...if I were to receive such a gift it would keep me occupied for quite a while...

--- i realize I'm missing generes... honorable mentions go to
metal gear solid the essentials (PS1/PS2 stealth/action)
street fighter II turbo hd remix (ps3 fighting)
company of heroes gold (pc rts)
world of warcraft (pc mmo)

wow, it's hard to keep it to 5 games.

Borderlands
- Covers open-world, humor, role-playing shooter and drives it into a loot-fueled game that will -never- get old.

Muramasa
- Artistic masterpiece.

Bioshock
- The environment, the story and the game play mix well together and make for a great game that is unique as hell.

Heavy Rain
- If Heavy Rain lives up to what it purports to be, then it will be one of the most realistic, intriguing games to date.

Uncharted 2
- If this lives up to what has been seen in the multi-player demo and single player trailers, then it will be one of the most epic, graphically-amazing games to date along with highly-satisfying game play.

Out of all of these, Bioshock would be the one I might replace in the future.

Caslet Vania Collection
GoW Collection
Megaman Collection
Diablo III
Final Fantasy Collection

SMT: Nocturne
Super Mario All-Stars + World Combo Cart
Final Fantasy Anthology
Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Kart

[quote name='RedGamer']Borderlands
- Covers open-world, humor, role-playing shooter and drives it into a loot-fueled game that will -never- get old.

Muramasa
- Artistic masterpiece.

Bioshock
- The environment, the story and the game play mix well together and make for a great game that is unique as hell.

Heavy Rain
- If Heavy Rain lives up to what it purports to be, then it will be one of the most realistic, intriguing games to date.

Uncharted 2
- If this lives up to what has been seen in the multi-player demo and single player trailers, then it will be one of the most epic, graphically-amazing games to date along with highly-satisfying game play.

Out of all of these, Bioshock would be the one I might replace in the future.[/QUOTE]
Three of those five games aren't even out as of now. It seems a bit...brash?

Other then that...

Tetris
Super Mario All Stars
The Orange Box
Katamari Damacy
Ninja Gaiden (any of them, just to know there's still developers who are ready to kick gamers' asses)

Last edited by a moderator:
Muramasa's come out, so make that three out of five. Still a strange list, though, I agree.

I can't pick my absolute favorites, because I would only get the urge to rip open that time capsule early. Anyway, here's my choices, which are all little time capsules themselves:

- Wolfenstein 3D - My first FPS. Actually, anyone's first FPS back then.

- Q*Bert - One of the few arcade-era games that really stands out for me.

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Encapsulates various things about many of the types of games I like to play these days: RPG, SRPG, portable, made by Square Enix, deep gameplay.

- Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden - A snapshot of video game fandom in the mid-late 00's. Also, since this is where I first heard about it, it'll bring back memories of CAG ;)

- Super Mario Bros. - Reminds me of birthday parties, arcades (again), warp pipe tips, and the princess being in another castle. Good times.

Knights of the Old Republic
Super Mario Bros. 2D series
All of the side-scrolling Castlevania games
World of Warcraft
Half-Life series.

-Tetris
-Super Mario All Stars (so you can play them ALL!!!)
-Dead Rising
-Spyro
-Resident Evil 0

Something for everyone, each one from a different era.

[quote name='blueshinra']Muramasa's come out, so make that three out of five. Still a strange list, though, I agree.[/QUOTE]
It was 3 AM or so when I was reading that, eitherway my bad.

In 25 years, we'll probably be able to emulate everything we have today... just like we can emulate SNES/NES/Genesis games now.

A time capsule seems kinda pointless.:lol:

If we did this, I wouldn't be surprised if a very "Back to the Future 2"-esque scene played out.... "You mean you have to use your hands?" "That's like a baby's toy!"

Cool topic!

I would include:

1) Baldurs Gate II (PC)
2) Elder Scrolls Oblivion (X360)
3) The Legend of Zelda (NES)
4) Castlevania (NES)
5) Chrono Trigger (SNES)

1. Tetris (Atari arcade version or Game Boy version)
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. A Link to the Past
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Bioshock

These are the games I'd pick for a time capsule but they aren't my top 5 favorite games.

[quote name='The Crotch']Starcraft (with Brood War)
Planescape: Torment (with assorted mods and fixes)
Worms 2: Armageddon
Deus Ex (with Shifter)
Final Fantasy Tactics

Chosen for historical significance and/or how well I think they'll hold up.[/QUOTE]

Deus Ex does not hold up well at all, I recently played it. The graphics are way too blocky, evironments are confusing, and it gets boring quick. Even System Shock 2 has graphics that are hard to swallow now that the novelty of 3d has run dry. Bioshock was the first game from that genre to hit a homerun on all fronts, Bioshock will be the game from that genre that will be the classic people remember years from now.

5 years ago almost every one of these lists would have included GTAIII. I think it still deserves a place, that game is an absolute classic. Not only did it define one of the top-selling genres for an entire console generation, it spawned countless imitators which even themselves became franchises.

Pac-Man
Street Figher II
Goldeneye
Virtua Fighter 4
Burnout (the series since Takedown, Revenge, and Paradise are all superb games)

Well, topics like these are always tough. What's the point here, to choose 5 games that really show off this era of gaming? Is it 5 games that we'd really want to play again in 25 years? I think it's important because games like GTA IV and Oblivion are great games of this era, but in 25 years, they will be surpassed at what they did well, and we'll have moved on.

If it's to show the era off, I pick

1) GTA IV
2) Elders Scroll IV Oblivion
3) Super Mario Galaxy
4) Wii Sports
5) Halo 3

Not all the greatest games, but these I think really show off what gaming is like today (you could easily substitute Halo 3 with several different FPS's, Halo is my favorite).

If we're going for 5 games that you'll still be playing 25 years from now, list is different

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Geometry Wars 2
3) Final Fantasy X
4) Ico
5) God of War

Tough on the fifth game, but the God of War games have been fun, I have no idea if they can stand the test of time like Mario has, but I think it has a chance.

[quote name='blaked569']i am pleasantly surprised by the limited inclusions of FFVII in everyone's lists :D[/QUOTE]
Well, like I said, I didn't want to include my absolute favorites, which means FFVII is right out ;)

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well, topics like these are always tough. What's the point here, to choose 5 games that really show off this era of gaming? Is it 5 games that we'd really want to play again in 25 years? I think it's important because games like GTA IV and Oblivion are great games of this era, but in 25 years, they will be surpassed at what they did well, and we'll have moved on.[/QUOTE]

Its a combination of both, you can look into it anyway you want. Just think of games that if you found boxed up somewhere in 25 years you would be excited to find, to relive what would then be the nostalgia of. Games that you would be estatic to share with someone who never got a chance to experience them maybe because of thier age, games that you'd like to see how they stood up against the newest versions of thier franchises, gameplay, graphic and controller innovations.

I know some of the games on my list just playing again would bring back childhood memories, running home from the school bus in middle school to play Starcraft with my friends from school on battle.net for the first time and then talking about how awesome siege tanks are at the lunch table the next day. lol

1. Ultima IV
2. Super Mario World
3. World of Warcraft (love it or hate it, every MMO that has come out after it is measured by WoW's success)
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. And while I loathe to admit it, anything with the word Pokemon in it.

Well we just forgot to put FF VII though its one the most anticipated RPG back in ps1 age, Its top 5 , so i just listed down my favorite PC games that i played recently,

As opposed to games that aren't even worth playing now ...

[quote name='willardhaven']Pac Man
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Metroid Prime
Street Fighter II [/quote]

[quote name='Maklershed']As opposed to games that aren't even worth playing now ...

[quote name='willardhaven']Pac Man
Super Mario Bros. 3
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Metroid Prime
Street Fighter II[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume you're drunk or something, but please back up that post... or better yet, enlighten us with your list.

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World combo cartridge
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker + Zelda Master Quest double disc set
Grand Theft Auto Trilogy
Halo Triple Pack
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

If I could add a few more:
Star Craft/Brood War Battle Chest
Warcraft III Battle Chest
Orange Box

Great topic.

5 Franchises:

Final Fantasy