Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Collection - TBA 2011 on XBLA

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
I don't have much more information right now other than this:

GREAT NEWS PINBALL FANS....Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Collection is coming to XBLA January 2011. This is the first time Gottlieb Pinball will be available to the Xbox 360 community. The HD graphics are amazing and it will include all the same tables as the previous Wii version. More info to come.

I hope the leaderboards are fixed in this game!

Unless they make some significant changes, this game is not NEARLY as good as the more recent Williams Collection. May pick it up depending on price, but I strongly advise anyone getting sucked in because they liked the Williams game to demo first.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Unless they make some significant changes, this game is not NEARLY as good as the more recent Williams Collection. May pick it up depending on price, but I strongly advise anyone getting sucked in because they liked the Williams game to demo first.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the physics are just as good on the Wii version, but the tables are boring and uninspired, I agree. I'm still gonna pick it up to support Crave. I wish they would have done a new one though.

If it's >$10 I probably won't get it.

Edit: Kinda wondering how big of a DL this will be. Williams is 1.1 G on the HD.

I'm not sure I'm going to get this. Gottleib's electronic games are mostly pretty crappy, and it sounds like they haven't done much with the collection other then add HD graphics. I wish they'd made a PHoF platform upon which they'd release games as DLC, and not just one manufacturer. Oh well. I might still get it. Will wait for more info and hope they've done more then just make it HD.

I wish Williams would release DLC tables for those other machines you pass as you play Hall of Fame Collection.

Hopefully they give Gottlieb 20 Achievements like Perfect Dark. Even better if they launch it as a platform like Pinball FX2 so each table gets 3 achievements.

Love pinball, glad to see it rising again at least on XBOX. My gf is loving PINBALL FX 2 and them marvel tables. :) Will pick this up on the DL.

I ripped my body hair out going for 1000 on the original 360 release... dont know if I'm up for it again but I imagine it wot be as difficult this time

Truthfully, there's only really 3-4 good tables on this collection.

Victory
Black Hole
Genie
Tee'd Off

Too bad the camera on the Wii version is pretty inconsistent. Hopefully they'll fix it on the 360.

[quote name='nnthomas']I ripped my body hair out going for 1000 on the original 360 release... dont know if I'm up for it again but I imagine it wot be as difficult this time[/QUOTE]

Did you get it? If so that is hella impressive.

I can't get the harem shot in Nights, I can't get the 100000 shot in Whirlwind, and there's like 2-3 other tables where I can't get the last goal for the achievement.

And what's up with Williams being so damn expensive for 360 but cheap for every other system?

Which is odd considering you can accidently get a Harem MB on the real machine without even trying.

Expensive? I think I got it for $20 or so within weeks of its release...

For Williams I have Black Knight, Pin*Bot and Medieval Madness left. Pin*bot getting all the planets AND the extra ball is crazy hard, Medieval Madness is very hard to get to the final wizard mode and Black Knight... Black Knight is just crazy boring after a while so I haven't had the umph to go for that to completion yet. :) I keep meaning to go back to it, but the last time I tried I couldn't get over the moonball physics, which I think are just a matter of them setting the virtual playfields too shallow. Either that or it's a flaw in their physics engine. Either way it's pretty darn moonballish. Still a great game, but I wish they'd tweaked that. I hope they improve that in this Gottleib port, but I'm guessing this will be a barebones effort. I hope not, of course.

[quote name='nasum']
Expensive? I think I got it for $20 or so within weeks of its release...[/QUOTE]

Look at Amazon. None of them go for less than $60, and it goes for $40 on Ebay.

Surprising, since the PS3 one is $18, and all other versions even less than that.

[quote name='2DMention']Look at Amazon. None of them go for less than $60, and it goes for $40 on Ebay.

Surprising, since the PS3 one is $18, and all other versions even less than that.[/QUOTE]

*looks at gaming shelf, eyes his copy of the Williams collection*

Woohoo!

[quote name='2DMention']I can't get the harem shot in Nights, I can't get the 100000 shot in Whirlwind, and there's like 2-3 other tables where I can't get the last goal for the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't get these goals either. Read that it's a glitch and the only way to get them is to play in a certain mode (Free, I think?)

I too am really confused with the 360 pricing on the Williams collection. goHastings has it at $20 and is the only e-retailer I've found with it new and apparently in stock. Did they pull production on the 360 discs in prep for an XBLA re-release or something?

[quote name='2DMention']Look at Amazon. None of them go for less than $60, and it goes for $40 on Ebay.

Surprising, since the PS3 one is $18, and all other versions even less than that.[/QUOTE]

I too am confused by the 360 version's situation. After searching around, the only semi-legit e-retailer I've found with the game new and in stock whatsoever is goHastings for $20. What's strange is they've got their used copies up for like $38.

I'm snagging a copy now before they run out or jack up the price. We'll see if they give me an "oops we're out of stock" email. Here's a link: http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/p...&departmentName=GAME&productVariantId=9369723

Wonder what's behind this shortage. Maybe Crave pulled the 360 version from production to prep for an XBLA re-release like Gottlieb's getting?

As for the Gottlieb XBLA release, I'll wait to try the demo. The tables look a tad dated for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be in the minority but I like the Gottlieb collection. Can't freaking wait. Please let them learn to implement a friends leader boards this time. I seriously can't think of another 360 game other than their Williams collection that is missing it.

Still no word when this is out.

I've searched the Internet, and I've noticed that it is notoriously bad on covering XBL releases. It seems like only the big games get any mention.

Any suggestions for a good place to look for what's coming up?

[quote name='norkusa']Yeah, I can't get these goals either. Read that it's a glitch and the only way to get them is to play in a certain mode (Free, I think?)[/QUOTE]

The HAREM "shot" is broken in Tales. Getting that is just a matter of persistence/luck. It's a shame they never put out an update to fix this physics glitch.

[quote name='crunchewy']The HAREM "shot" is broken in Tales. Getting that is just a matter of persistence/luck. It's a shame they never put out an update to fix this physics glitch.[/QUOTE]

According to their facebook page, they knowingly had it in there. The original game had it in and they used that ROM or whatever. They wanted it to be exact, even to it's flaws.

[quote name='2DMention']According to their facebook page, they knowingly had it in there. The original game had it in and they used that ROM or whatever. They wanted it to be exact, even to it's flaws.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the HAREM shot being broken has anything to do with the ROM. It's not registering when it should. A working real machine doesn't have that issue, not that I recall anyway. It might not register every time, but it certainly registers more then it doesn't.

IMHO, the problem is too perfect physics (the ball always does the same thing in the same situation, to a T) combined with moonball playfield angle. It's probably virtually jumping the virtual switch. Since it does the same thing in the same situation, it does this pretty much every time. There's some specific momentum and timing that's needed to get it to hit the switch, and due to the particular playfield angle they've chosen, the exact momentum/timing needed is very narrow/uncommon.

Of course this is just my theory of what the cause is, but I am certain that the ROM isn't at fault, or perhaps there is a flaw in the ROM, but it's exacerbated by problems in PHoF's simulation.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't think the HAREM shot being broken has anything to do with the ROM. It's not registering when it should. A working real machine doesn't have that issue, not that I recall anyway. It might not register every time, but it certainly registers more then it doesn't.

IMHO, the problem is too perfect physics (the ball always does the same thing in the same situation, to a T) combined with moonball playfield angle. It's probably virtually jumping the virtual switch. Since it does the same thing in the same situation, it does this pretty much every time. There's some specific momentum and timing that's needed to get it to hit the switch, and due to the particular playfield angle they've chosen, the exact momentum/timing needed is very narrow/uncommon.

Of course this is just my theory of what the cause is, but I am certain that the ROM isn't at fault, or perhaps there is a flaw in the ROM, but it's exacerbated by problems in PHoF's simulation.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that the real machine has some sort of peg in the loop that makes it easier to get it in the harem sneak in, that tWC seemed to have left out. Not 100% sure though since it has been over a decade since I have played a real TOTAN.

I just find it weird that they made it a goal (not even a wizard goal) since it is really tough due to the glitch. I eventually got it by repeated loop shots up the left side and then tilting the table while it goes around the loop to try to get it to hit the bumpers up top. Ususally if you can tap the bumpers during the loop shot it will give you a Harem letter. Just keep repeating and you will eventually get it. (And also get really good at hitting that loop lol)

Just make sure you hold the ball with the right flipper until harem is blinking. If you hit a ramp before the loop it will be a tiger loop. You have to let the tiger loop time out each and every time you activate it to try and get a letter.

Looking forward to this release, but disappointed that they are porting an old game instead of making a brand new one. I want a Bally Collection! ToM, CV, SS, AFM and so many other great machines need to be digitized ;)

This is a bit off topic, but anyone in or around Austin, TX should check this place out: http://www.pinballzarcade.com

They just opened and have a ridiculous amount of old and new pinball machines. Their list is here: http://www.pinballzarcade.com/play-our-games/pinball-machines/

Back on topic, it seems goHastings has shipped my order for :360: PHoF: Williams at $20. Anyone out there in search of a new copy, it looks like this is the best chance you'll get. Here's the link to it again: http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/p...&departmentName=GAME&productVariantId=9369723

[quote name='bsmiff']This is a bit off topic, but anyone in or around Austin, TX should check this place out: http://www.pinballzarcade.com

They just opened and have a ridiculous amount of old and new pinball machines. Their list is here: http://www.pinballzarcade.com/play-our-games/pinball-machines/

Back on topic, it seems goHastings has shipped my order for :360: PHoF: Williams at $20. Anyone out there in search of a new copy, it looks like this is the best chance you'll get. Here's the link to it again: http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/p...&departmentName=GAME&productVariantId=9369723[/QUOTE]

What's with all the new arcades opening up in TX and the east coast, and why don't we get them in MN. :cry: I guess I shouldn't complain - MN has quite a few good places to play.

That's a kick ass list of games!

[quote name='2DMention']What's with all the new arcades opening up in TX and the east coast, and why don't we get them in MN. :cry: I guess I shouldn't complain - MN has quite a few good places to play.

That's a kick ass list of games![/QUOTE]

That is an amazing list of games...

There is nothing like that around here. I am jealous.

I haven't done a lot of searching for machines but I have only found 2 machines within 30 mins of me.

First one is a broken Simpsons Pinball Party that launches 2 balls at once instead of 1 so you have constant multiball but once you drain your first ball the flippers shut down and its on the the next ball... Basically makes the game unplayable. :cry:

Second one is a No Fear that works properly but it likes to eat quarters lol.

There are a few other family fun type places around here I have yet to check out.

The problem is that Gottlieb was the worst of the big names in pinball back in the day. There are so many great machines from the other big brands I'd like to see in virtual form.

[quote name='2DMention']What's with all the new arcades opening up in TX and the east coast, and why don't we get them in MN. :cry: I guess I shouldn't complain - MN has quite a few good places to play.[/QUOTE]

Austin in particular has a really decent video game culture. There's also a place here called Arcade UFO that specializes in mostly Japanese fighting games. They hold regular SSFIV competitions. They have some pretty cool import machines (they're one of two US arcades that imported King of Fighters 13), no pinball though.

Also, can't forget about this place: http://www.statesman.com/business/austin-based-chain-sells-old-school-video-games-1140995.html

[quote name='sp8001']I just find it weird that they made it a goal (not even a wizard goal) since it is really tough due to the glitch.[/QUOTE]

Right. Given that it was a random pain in the arse, they shouldn't have made it a goal. It's like they didn't even test it. Oh well.

[quote name='epobirs']The problem is that Gottlieb was the worst of the big names in pinball back in the day. There are so many great machines from the other big brands I'd like to see in virtual form.[/QUOTE]

I'd amend that to say that they were one of the worst in the electronic era, but one of the best in the electromechanical era. The Gottleib collection should be heavy on EMs. Gottleib just never could quite transition to the electronic era. Having said that, I always liked Stargate. They should have that in the collection.

I will buy this just for Black Hole. Great game and very challenging to get 3 ball multiball up on the main table. I have one in my basement. Other Gottlieb games I own are: '76 Target Alpha and an '85 Ice Fever. Go Gottlieb!

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm pumped for this but I kind of wish they did a disc release instead of a xbla route.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Releasing it as an XBLA game I'll only buy it if it's 800 MS Points. I would have happily paid $30 for the disc.

I kind of have a feeling that since we haven't heard any news on this release lately, it won't make its Jan release date...

Also have a feeling this one will be 1200 points, even though I hope its only 800. After all, it is a remake of an old game.

[quote name='2DMention']Has anybody checked online ? Is it up?[/QUOTE]

Are we expecting it to be up? I'd have thought that we'd hear ahead of time. Anyway, as far as I know, the only XBLA game released today was Spare Parts. That's all that Major Nelson mentioned on twitter.

[quote name='crunchewy']Are we expecting it to be up? I'd have thought that we'd hear ahead of time. Anyway, as far as I know, the only XBLA game released today was Spare Parts. That's all that Major Nelson mentioned on twitter.[/QUOTE]

Bummer. :(

bread's done
Back