Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

[quote name='ShinMusashi44']Ok wasn't sure if it came with them or not.[/quote]

Good point--actually, I don't know if it does come with them! If it doesn't, they're obtainable fairly cheaply even at Wal-mart. The way I've got my system all rigged up, I'm using a few of them. My TV doesn't have an optical output either. I don't THINK anyway. Maybe I should check.

[quote name='ajh2298']Ok I want to pick this up but it seems I will need 3 digital audio inputs(360,PS3,and HD-DVD Player) is there a splitter or someting cheap that I can pick up. [/quote]
Yeah, check monoprice.

[quote name='ajh2298']Also once you hookup your consoles/DVD players to this do you than unhook them from the audio inputs on your TV?[/quote]
Yes.

My tv has an optical out, so all my inputs come in hdmi and sound leaves to the reciever via optical cable. To me, the sound on this thing is great. I paid 150$ a long time ago for it and think that was a great price.

I've owned this little system since April... i am by no means an audiophile.

I had no problems with convos being quiet and explosions being loud... i never even have to turn it up past 12 usually, its just too loud.

However, my son dropped the remote a couple months ago... once... from about a foot off the ground (toddler) and it broke and hasnt worked since.

Also, i'm starting to get a sorta medium level buzzing sound from the receiver occasionally when i turn it on.

I called Pioneer and they don't do repairs or exchanges... i have to take it into a local authorized repair center since it's still under warranty and let them tinker with it and FIX the remote. Pioneer won't even send me a replacement remote :(

Other than that its a great system haha

[quote name='major maz']What are the best settings for the system?[/quote]

I use "auto" for games and DVDs, and TV surround for Music.

buy.com went up on the price, its now $111.99 instead of the $99. That sucks I finally just made up my mind to buy one for me and my father for xmas.

How long are the cords that come with the unit? I am going to buy some cables and need to know if I need 1 or two optical audio cables. Are the speakers hooked up through the 3.5mm connections? I will need to get extensions for that too for the rear speakers. Thanks much.

I got the same setup going as Sevin300zx (above)

My TV has optical out so i would just run the supplied optical cable from my TV to the subwoofer.

I do have a question thought and i would appreciate some advice...

My PS3 and the Xbox 360 are connected to my TV using HDMI so i'll use the optical out connection on my TV for those two and run the supplied optical cable from my TV to the sub.

But i also have a Digital Cable Box and Apple TV that are connected to my TV using regular audio (red & white )

So here's where i need some advice...
Should i leave them like they are OR get a seperate optical cable for the Apple TV and run that directly to one of the two optical inputs on the sub.
Now both optical inputs are taken, so then i would run a digital coax audio cable from my digital cable box to the subwoofer.

Thanks in advance.

I'm under the impression that my samsung tv (hlr-5087w i think...) uses a type of multiplexing system for the optical out. so as long as you can get a 5.1 compatible media cable (ie hdmi, or optical) into the tv, anything going to the reciever(through optical out) will be 5.1. If it enters the tv as 2.1 (red and white cables) it should be sent to the reciever as 2.1 stereo, however, the reciever should still emulate 5.1 surround.

You may or may not be able to tell a difference, but I would recommend since I'm gonna guess Marat, that you, like me, have only 2 hdmi inputs... So, try swapping your cable box or apple tv from however it's hooked up to now, with one of your hdmi cables and see if you can tell a difference. if not, i wouldnt worry about it. HDMI should transfer at 5.1

i went to buy this after at circuit city after canceling my buy.com order and today i got my (canceled) buy.com package. ive already set up the one i bought from CC a few days ago. is it ok to return the one from buy.com to CC or will it not match my receipt?

for those who received this...did your FedEx tracking update through the package's trip? mine was "shipped" on 12/6 and is due to arrive tomorrow, but the FedEx tracking is just showing that the data was transferred, and no history of the package itself is showing up.

[quote name='Kendal']How long are the cords that come with the unit? I am going to buy some cables and need to know if I need 1 or two optical audio cables. Are the speakers hooked up through the 3.5mm connections? I will need to get extensions for that too for the rear speakers. Thanks much.[/quote]

Any help with this?

I need some help with my setup.
I have the XBOX 360 with HDMI capability but I do not have a HDMI cable. Currently I have my XBOX 360 hooked up to the speakers through the optical cable. In addition I have the component HD AV cables that came with my XBOX (green, blue and red cable) hooked up to my HDTV. The red, yellow and white cables are unplugged. My problem is that sound only comes out from my front speakers (right and left) but not my surround/center speakers. Also is there a way to connect my TV to the speaker if so what cables do I need? I keep hearing about optical out but I dont see that input on my TV

Thanks

[quote name='Wanderlai']Is there an item # search or anything to see if my local CC's have the system in stock?[/quote]

I would just call them.

I just got this today, hooked it up but i need longer cables for the rear speaker. anyone know where i can get longer cables for the rear speakers? Thanks in advance.

BUY.COM SCAM ALERT.

My package "shipped" on 12/6 and was supposed to arrive today. Looking at FedEx's tracking, it hasn't even been picked up. It's still "Package data transmitted to FedEx " I called Buy.com today, and after being placed on hold for about 10-15 minutes, was told that they DIDN'T actually ship it. How the F could you note it as shipped if you didn't ship it???

The service rep was going to re-order the shipment, which would take another 1-2 bus days, then another 7-9 in transit. This is clearly unsatisfactory, since my shipment was supposed to arrive TODAY, and I will be on vacation when the "new" shipment arrives. I told him I wanted it overnighted/expedited. He said that they could NOT change the shipping method at this point. I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor, but, surprise!, none were available. Now I'm waiting for a call-back.

Also, I asked him if they would have ever picked up on this error if I didn't call. THEY WOULDN'T HAVE. It was up to me, the customer, to make sure that a retailer follows through on their order. They were happy to TAKE MY MONEY and not actually give me what I paid for. Absolutely ludicrous.

Has anyone had experience dealing with the morons at Buy.com customer service? Any suggestions?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']That's worrisome... Mine hasn't arrived yet. I guess I'd better check into it. What a pain.[/quote]

what does your FedEx tracking say?

Dec 11, 2007 6:50 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery BELL, CA
4:43 AM At local FedEx facility BELL, CA
2:27 AM Departed FedEx location CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA

Dec 10, 2007 9:03 PM Arrived at FedEx location CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA

Dec 7, 2007 4:27 PM Arrived at FedEx location IRVING, TX
1:19 PM Picked up IRVING, TX

Dec 6, 2007 9:34 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx CARROLLTON,TX

Should be here soon. Buy.com is one of the worst online retailer I've ever shop with. On my last DVD "pre-ordered", it took 2 months after release date for them to ship the item to me.

[quote name='apokalipze2']Dec 6, 2007 8:35 AM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

CARROLLTON, TX

Dammit, I thought I was getting this today :bomb:[/quote]

mine says the same exact thing- including the 8:35 AM timestamp. STILL expecting a callback (which will probably never come and I'll have to call again later)

I e-mailed customer service with the same question last week, and this is what they told me:
To help you determine when your order will arrive, you can also use the shipping timetable on our Web site at:

http://www.buy.com/corp/support/eAccount/claims_timetable.asp?

The delivery time for Budget Shipping is usually 7-9 business days after the shipment date, which was 12/06/07. If you do not receive your order by 12/19/07, please inform us so we can then look into your order.

So if it doesn't actually ship out by then, I'll give them a call, but damn - terrible buying experience. If you give me a tracking number, don't just print out the label and sit my box on the shelf - ship it, for god's sake.

Oh well, it sounds like the system is worth getting, and I guess paying $90 total isn't exactly something to complain about, as long as it arrives, that is.

I know I can't get it since it's out of stock, but I was wondering if this setup would work with both my 360 and my Cable box at the same time? It makes it sound like it can only be used with the 360.

If this system doesn't work with both, then can someone point me to a cheap one that would?

The site says "usually ships in 1-2 business days" (sold out right now) and I ordered mine Thursday. Thats more than 2 business days. Such bull and I usually order from buy.com also. I dont know how I tolerate them.

[quote name='snootyusher']what does your FedEx tracking say?[/quote]

It was actually sitting on my front step (all it was missing was a "steal me" sign) when I wrote that. Oops! So mine arrived safe and sound...

Buy.com does usually take a bit longer than other places, and when they say "usually ships 1-2 business days," the "usually" is kind of loose.

No worries, though, guys; I think you'll all be receiving them eventually. Unless someone steals it off your front door step. Seriously, mine was sitting there, in a huge box saying "blah blah SOUND SYSTEM!", sticking out like a pair of dogs' balls.

[quote name='snootyusher']BUY.COM SCAM ALERT.

My package "shipped" on 12/6 and was supposed to arrive today. Looking at FedEx's tracking, it hasn't even been picked up. It's still "Package data transmitted to FedEx " I called Buy.com today, and after being placed on hold for about 10-15 minutes, was told that they DIDN'T actually ship it. How the F could you note it as shipped if you didn't ship it???

The service rep was going to re-order the shipment, which would take another 1-2 bus days, then another 7-9 in transit. This is clearly unsatisfactory, since my shipment was supposed to arrive TODAY, and I will be on vacation when the "new" shipment arrives. I told him I wanted it overnighted/expedited. He said that they could NOT change the shipping method at this point. I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor, but, surprise!, none were available. Now I'm waiting for a call-back.

Also, I asked him if they would have ever picked up on this error if I didn't call. THEY WOULDN'T HAVE. It was up to me, the customer, to make sure that a retailer follows through on their order. They were happy to TAKE MY MONEY and not actually give me what I paid for. Absolutely ludicrous.

Has anyone had experience dealing with the morons at Buy.com customer service? Any suggestions?[/quote] no, but i don't like Fed-ex's service. 2 day shipping took over 7 days, and it was broken, so we had to reship. I don't like them. They broke my monitor :( At least dell gave me $81 as reimbersiment... :)

Shipped 8th, got it today, everything working good and sounding good. Sorry to hear about people having troubles with buy.com.

[quote name='snootyusher']BUY.COM SCAM ALERT.

Has anyone had experience dealing with the morons at Buy.com customer service? Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

What you've just described is not unheard of with Buy.com. They have some great prices on stuff, but their shipping and delivery are quite sketchy at times. I scored Gears of War when it first came out for around $40 with the google checkout deal...it took two over weeks to get the game and the status was at "shipped" for most of that time.

I'm not likely to buy from them again; but if I do, it will be for a screamin' deal (this one could qualify) and with the mindset that I'm okay with not getting my stuff for a few weeks.

Good luck to you!

Is buy.com that bad? I'm not worried about my surround system as it should be coming in soon. However my orders which i ordered about 1-2 weeks before the system hasn't even shipped and is "On Order." It's going to be the 3rd week now and if it doesn't ship by this week i doubt it'll arrive before christmas with the free shipping(7-9 days). Hopefully they'll be kind and understanding enough to upgrade my shipping for gurantee before Christmas arrival. I really need those orders before Christmas and i hope they'll do something to get it to me before then. Sucks if i miss 2 people's Christmas presents. buy.com is putting stress on me now, worrying about the gifts.

Buy.com sucks. I dropped them years ago (after they took forever shipping my items). Just look at all the complaints/poor ratings on resellerratings.com

Mine took forever to come. Disregard their bs "1-2 business days" for shipping. Now that it's here though, I'm happy. Just wait it out...it'll all be worth it.

So can anyone help me out with my problem? My sound card's (Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit) digital out is a 3.5mm jack. I looked in the manual, and it says that I'd be able to connect the digital out into a device that decodes Dolby Digital Signals. I assume that this speaker have no problem doing it with its coaxial in. However, this means that I have to get a converter cable that makes 3.5mm stereo jack into coaxial. Where would I be able to get a cable like that anyway? I've looked on monoprice already, but haven't been able to locate it yet. Maybe I'm just not looking t at the right places.

Thanks.

[quote name='Big Wang']So can anyone help me out with my problem? My sound card's (Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit) digital out is a 3.5mm jack. I looked in the manual, and it says that I'd be able to connect the digital out into a device that decodes Dolby Digital Signals. I assume that this speaker have no problem doing it with its coaxial in. However, this means that I have to get a converter cable that makes 3.5mm stereo jack into coaxial. Where would I be able to get a cable like that anyway? I've looked on monoprice already, but haven't been able to locate it yet. Maybe I'm just not looking t at the right places.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You will need something called a "Sound Blaster Digital I/O Module" made by Creative itself. Just go to us.creative.com and it should be on there for $15.

[quote name='apokalipze2']Dec 6, 2007 8:35 AM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

CARROLLTON, TX
[/quote]

fuck, mine order is showing the SAME exact thing for my order.

I hadn't really used buy.com before. I ordered the :ps2: Fire Pro wrestling for $7 and got it in under a week. Thats what I expected and I was happy with their service shipping.

I got worried about my HTIB and called the 'support' line yesterday, what a mistake...

The foreign lady on the line told me that I can't do ANYTHING yet, I have to wait until 6 business days of the alleged shipping date, or Thursday:bomb::bomb:

Anyone have a way to call and NOT be routed to an exotic locale for 'support'?

[quote name='Big Wang']So can anyone help me out with my problem? My sound card's (Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit) digital out is a 3.5mm jack. I looked in the manual, and it says that I'd be able to connect the digital out into a device that decodes Dolby Digital Signals. I assume that this speaker have no problem doing it with its coaxial in. However, this means that I have to get a converter cable that makes 3.5mm stereo jack into coaxial. Where would I be able to get a cable like that anyway? I've looked on monoprice already, but haven't been able to locate it yet. Maybe I'm just not looking t at the right places.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I havent received mine yet so I dont know what cables is included but this might help

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

6661.jpg

whenever i listen to or watch streaming content the sound only comes from the front speakers. i have to turn on the rear speakers by changing the sound by pushing the advanced button. anyone know how to set it so it automatically plays on all speakers?

My surround sound arrived today. I'm still really mad and stressed out about my zunes that i ordered weeks before i ordered this. It hasn't even shipped, it's on back order when i ordered it wayy ahead of time, i really need those before christmas and they're not helping or understanding. I think the google checkout slowed down my process a little. This is all bad!! Never going to buy.com again to buy presents.

[quote name='uEih']My surround sound arrived today. I'm still really mad and stressed out about my zunes that i ordered weeks before i ordered this. It hasn't even shipped, it's on back order when i ordered it wayy ahead of time, i really need those before christmas and they're not helping or understanding. I think the google checkout slowed down my process a little. This is all bad!! Never going to buy.com again to buy presents.[/quote]

But was it listed as "back ordered" when you put the order in? I mean if they don't have the stock, they don't have the stock. That's like getting mad at Target for not having a Wii even though you ordered it ahead of time. Unless it was in stock when you ordered, in which case you got kinda jacked, huh?

bread's done
Back