Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

I ordered mines last wednesday, it shiped out last friday. and the tracking shows it at a local Fed-Ex facility as of 5:30am this morning. but being christmas eve, I dont expect it to come this afternoon.
and also acording to the tracking, the expected arival says it will be delievered by December 26th, 7:30pm.
So mines will be here about a week after I placed my order.
not bad....
though, I did have to pay 65 bucks for Two Day Air shipping, since I live in hawaii.

[quote name='Cameronie']The Yellow plug is for the picture.

The Red and White plugs are for the sound.

I had a similar dilema with my original Xbox, and even my 360... I had to cut away the rubber around the actual wires, so I could make the plugs reach, between my stereo and my TV.[/QUOTE]

Did you use a knife or something else?

I got mines in the mail yesterday.
There was a big effin hole in the box. I swear, those effin Fed Ex people.....
the hole was roughly about 2 1/2 inches by 5 inches. and it was right on the effin subwoofer speaker. wich resulted in a slight dent in the sub, that you can tell when you run your fingers across it.

If I was home when this thing was delivered, I might have refused it.

but I wasnt home, so I hooked it up, and it seems fine.

anyways.... besides the busted packaging. I must say that the sound is simply amazing.

this is the first time I've had 5.1 and the jump from standard stereo speakers to 5.1 is just as big, if not bigger, than going from a standard def. TV to a HiDef 1080p TV.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Actually, I don't think HDMI passes along any audio at all, just video, unless there's some other kind of HDMI cable I'm unaware of that has audio with it... As far as I know, Xbox 360 and PS3 use HDMI for the video and have seperate optical outputs for the audio (I don't own an HDMI 360 myself, nor a PS3, so I use the component outputs for video and the optical outputs for audio). Or, in the case of optical inputs being unavailable, I suppose you're expected to use the analog audio cables that are part of the component/composite/s-video cables.

So, to sum up, I don't think you're transmitting any audio out of your game systems if all you have plugged in is their HDMI output. Again, though, I don't own any HDMI-capable systems, so I have nothing here to reference. The HDMI I've worked with in the past on PCs didn't transmit any audio, but it was coming from a video card.[/quote]

Yeah, this is entirely false. The whole point of HDMI is a single cable solution with enough bandwidth for HD audio AND HD video (and, of course, encryption tech).

The systems put out both over the HDMI, and it's up to you whether or not you want to use the Audio stream when hooking it up. The 360 Elite comes with a breakout cable so you can split out Optical audio to a receiver and push it to a surround system, while running the video straight to your TV via HDMI. I'm pretty sure the PS3 has seperate audio out built into the back of the system.

i'm looking to buy this but before i buy it.. would I be able to do put the big ass central channel speaker (the one thats about 10 inches) on its side? It's not a make or break deal, it would just fit on my TV stand better. Or does it have to be placed vertically.

I finally tried out my system today, it works great and the fact that I got it for cheap is even better (got it from woot before the buy.com deal)

[quote name='ryanm1058123']i'm looking to buy this but before i buy it.. would I be able to do put the big ass central channel speaker (the one thats about 10 inches) on its side? It's not a make or break deal, it would just fit on my TV stand better. Or does it have to be placed vertically.[/quote]

You could put it on its side, but it is not level. You would have to use some sort of shim or find some other way to keep it from tipping forward.

Hmm I can't make a decision, so what else to do than think out loud and put it up for forum discussion. Here's my situation:

I'm having a bit of an input crisis on my tv (it has 3 RCAs, 2 Components, and 1 DVI). I just got HD from DirecTV and was going to get an adapter to put the hdmi into my DVI port. The problem I just realized with this is I won't have audio unless I run separate cables to the DVD system and therefore turn on the stereo to the tv input to get sound. This is a pain in the butt to me, let alone my girlfriend. An additional problem is I'm sure the stereo will get left on all the time once the TV is shut off, and it has a tendency to freak out randomly and emit a hiiiigh pitch tone until it gets turned off.

So I'm contemplating this solution. I don't really want to buy a whole new HTIB, as it won't have HD-DVD without being ultra expensive. I'm not too big on hd-dvd, but I want to leave the option open. I currently have a Panasonic SA-HT700 5.1 system. It's your typical theater in a box setup at 700 watts. I'm thinking about getting this 5.1 system and using the 360 as my dvd player.

Any pro's or con's to going from an all-in-one 5.1 dvd home theater to a combo of this sound system plus a 360?

[quote name='paintballers']Did you use a knife or something else?[/quote]

yeah, i used one of those knifes from a swiss amry pocket knife.

I like Teqonix's plan, I wish I would had thought of that before I cut myself a couple times doing it.

Finally decided to hook up the speakers. Everything went smooth and it sounds pretty good. I'll probably post a review of the speakers on my website once I get the hosting solved.

I just moved out of my family's house and into an apartment, so this sounds like exactly what I need. Just placed my order using the $5 coupon posted earlier in the thread. Thanks OP!!!! (and thanks to whoever posted that coupon!)

Does watching a DVD on your 360 tend to shorten the lifespan of the console, or am I just being paranoid? I'm hoping that a little extra drive spinning is unrelated to the whole red ring thing, and that the difference in console lifespan would be negligible.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Does watching a DVD on your 360 tend to shorten the lifespan of the console, or am I just being paranoid? I'm hoping that a little extra drive spinning is unrelated to the whole red ring thing, and that the difference in console lifespan would be negligible.[/quote]

You are completely paranoid. :D

I just got mine today after ordering it on Friday (or sometime around then) and I used the free shipping so it got here really fast. I'm trying to hook it up right now to my Samsung 1080p DLP and Xbox 360. Is there anything I need that wasn't in the box? It says to connect the 360 and subwoofer using an optical cable and then it says "supplied" in parenthesis. Does that mean that I need to supply that or should it be there?

It's in the package with the AM antena. aka the plastic thing that's in the shape of a square.

P.S. the optical cable has covers on the ends, that you need to pop off before you put it in the 360, or the Sub.

It's great that there's multiple digital inputs, but it's a big minus that it doesn't have any A/V inputs, especially when so many devices like the Wii don't have any optical connections.

[quote name='Cameronie']It's in the package with the AM antena. aka the plastic thing that's in the shape of a square.

P.S. the optical cable has covers on the ends, that you need to pop off before you put it in the 360, or the Sub.[/quote]Ah, that's what screwed me up. Thanks a lot man. This looks like I will be able to have it ready in no time.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I just moved out of my family's house and into an apartment, so this sounds like exactly what I need.[/QUOTE]

Hope you're ready to move back into your family's house, as your neighbors will hate you once you get this thing. ;P I bought this setup for my brother-in-law for xmas and my sister was like what the fuck have you done. The control box and center channel were dancing around like crazy with it cranked up. We were of course rocking out on Rock Band. \m/ >_< \m/

nice deal but no headphone jack is a deal breaker for me. the wife would not dig 5.1 coming out of my office @ 1am.

Got my speakers today (late christmas gift) and let me tell you it is worth the $90 bucks. Best money i have spent on speakers (for the buck) ever. Great all around sound for a beginner setup.

HELP ME! I am trying to use Google Checkout for this system; Just created my first account, and its not taking $10 off! I'm choosing free shipping but it still says $99.99. What to do?

Well guys basically I said screw google checkout since I didnt want to wait for the credit card to get registered, but a quick google search netted me a 5% off coupon, so I ordered the Pioneer system for $94.99 shipped
Amazing deal, now I dont have to worry about surround for my room anymore. :)
Thanks CAG, thanks to you within 1 hour I ordered Time Crisis 4 and the Pioneer 5.1 system. Now my room is complete. (In terms of hardware) I got the Wii, PS3, 360, PSP, HDTV, Laptop, Stereo System, my new truck, and now my 5.1 dolby surround sound. :) I plan on getting an 80gig iPod as well, and some Logitech 2.1 speakers for my laptop. The best part about it all? I'm only 16. :D :D :D ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Well guys basically I said screw google checkout since I didnt want to wait for the credit card to get registered, but a quick google search netted me a 5% off coupon, so I ordered the Pioneer system for $94.99 shipped
Amazing deal, now I dont have to worry about surround for my room anymore. :)
Thanks CAG, thanks to you within 1 hour I ordered Time Crisis 4 and the Pioneer 5.1 system. Now my room is complete. (In terms of hardware) I got the Wii, PS3, 360, PSP, HDTV, Laptop, Stereo System, my new truck, and now my 5.1 dolby surround sound. :) I plan on getting an 80gig iPod as well, and some Logitech 2.1 speakers for my laptop. The best part about it all? I'm only 16. :D :D :D ^_^ ^_^ ^_^[/quote]
How the heck do you afford all that crap when you're 16?

I live in apartment on the second floor(worried about the neighbors) and sit about 6 feet from the front of the TV would this just be overkill.

[quote name='ajh2298']I live in apartment on the second floor(worried about the neighbors) and sit about 6 feet from the front of the TV would this just be overkill.[/quote]

The thing that will kill the neighbors is the subwoofers, because even at low volume, it will literally shake walls.

I don't think it's overkill as I play with relatively low volume out of preference. Video games are actually more immersive sounde-wise than movies are in my experience. Tons of games take advantage of surround sound, so you can hear where things are coming from, especially in shooting games.

[quote name='ajh2298']I live in apartment on the second floor(worried about the neighbors) and sit about 6 feet from the front of the TV would this just be overkill.[/quote]

The good thing about it is you can easily disonnect the subwoofer during times when it may bother a neighbor.

[quote name='iazybandit']Mommy and daddy[/quote]

This man speaks the true word. My parents were never rich or bought me a car or elecronics, the biggest thing they ever bought for me was an SNES. lol I tried to weasle into a neo-geo but those were pipe dreams. And you know what, I'm glad. I'm so glad that I wasn't handed everything I wanted. It's made me into the cold hard cag I am today.

I think we can all relate when I speak of observing the spoiled kids and how life treats them after college.

I've been waffling on this purchase since this thread started. Saw it go completely OOS and then come back at that same price. I don't know why but I just pulled the trigger.

Seems like it's been mostly positive feedback on here. Gah! Some CAG tell me how awesome it is so I don't get buyers remorse.

I bought it. Anybody who has this system.. I see it comes with a remote.. what is actually on the remote? Does it let you control DVDs? should I go out and buy the actual 360 remote if it doesn't? Thanks in advance

OK, I finally jumped on this and in the process sold my old 5.1 home theater system. My biggest problem with my old one was that it had no inputs at all on it, so my directv, 360, and future hd-dvd player wouldn't be able to use the surround. I'm sacrificing 100 watts, but I figured it was worth it.

Now... the problem... I guess I should have researched the details, because now that it's shipped and my old system is sold, I find out it has no headphone jack. Thats just silly, a phones jack has been standard for over 10 years. I don't have to use headphones all the much, but they're needed sometimes. My TV doesn't have a headphone jack either.

Do I have any options? I don't care that the headphone sound won't be 5.1, I just need regular stereo sound for that.

Thanks...
-Sean

this is a great deal, i am totally happy with mine. i bought it for $150 a little while back. Even though it doesnt say it supports PCM i switched to PCM on one of my blu-ray movies last weekend and it accepted the signal and sounded amazing. huge difference from dolby digital. at $99 is a no brainer.

mine should arrive soon. i can't wait to test it out cuz i'm gonna use this for my PC. if it sounds really good, maybe i'll try it for my setup in my bedroom. i agree that it's a great price no matter how you look at it.

Question for anyone who has this: if you're using your 360 to stream music from your PC, can you use the remote to operate the music player? That'd be pretty sweet.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Question for anyone who has this: if you're using your 360 to stream music from your PC, can you use the remote to operate the music player? That'd be pretty sweet.[/quote]

Yeah, you can use the remote with the music player, works with pretty much everything on the 360 other than games.

[quote name='ryanm1058123']I bought it. Anybody who has this system.. I see it comes with a remote.. what is actually on the remote? Does it let you control DVDs? should I go out and buy the actual 360 remote if it doesn't? Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]
Yes, it also controls the Xbox360

I bought this probably 2 months ago and have been using it in our family room as a sound system for the TV. Nice system all in all for the money. Lots of sound modes to choose from. I haven't tried out the auto-calibration unit (microphone) yet.

The one thing that bugs me about this unit though is that it does NOT have a mute button on the remote.

[quote name='BlackDogJake']
The one thing that bugs me about this unit though is that it does NOT have a mute button on the remote.[/quote]
That is the one big thing that has been bothering me heh. With over 50 something buttons you think they could have snuck a mute in there lol

Edit: I should clarify, this thing is amazing for the price (mute button or not). Don't let one button or a headphone jack discourage you heh :p

[quote name='Mars10']That is the one big thing that has been bothering me heh. With over 50 something buttons you think they could have snuck a mute in there lol

Edit: I should clarify, this thing is amazing for the price (mute button or not). Don't let one button or a headphone jack discourage you heh :p[/QUOTE]

I guess I wasnt the only one who missed the mute button on the remote. I really could use one too, oh well. Great system nonetheless.

Mute button and headphone jack would make it perfect, but this thing is way better than old HTIB, costs less than half as much, and includes the second best 360 remote available (Harmony beats it out but it costs as much as the stereo anyway).

[quote name='grifta67']OK, I finally jumped on this and in the process sold my old 5.1 home theater system. My biggest problem with my old one was that it had no inputs at all on it, so my directv, 360, and future hd-dvd player wouldn't be able to use the surround. I'm sacrificing 100 watts, but I figured it was worth it.

Now... the problem... I guess I should have researched the details, because now that it's shipped and my old system is sold, I find out it has no headphone jack. Thats just silly, a phones jack has been standard for over 10 years. I don't have to use headphones all the much, but they're needed sometimes. My TV doesn't have a headphone jack either.

Do I have any options? I don't care that the headphone sound won't be 5.1, I just need regular stereo sound for that.

Thanks...
-Sean[/QUOTE]

I think you may be out of luck. There is no sound output ports of any kind on the device, making me think the only way you'll get sound out of the receiver is the speakers. There are headphones that will get sound straight from the optical cable, but then you'd have to unplug one each time you use it and the receiver gets bypassed all together. That said, those are expensive and considering you bought a $100 stereo, probably not an option.

[quote name='SpammyMcSpamSpam']I just got mine and it sounds like theres a ball or something moving around in the subwoofer. Is this normal?[/quote]

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

arrived today, will test it out as soon as i can ^^

pioneer.jpg

bread's done
Back