Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System for Xbox 360 $100 (Maybe Less) @ Buy.com

Import

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Linky

I ordered one yesterday after seeing the deal on SD. For the price it can't be beat according to reviews. New google checkout customers can get an extra $10 off.

If you already used google checkout like me there is a $10 rebate form -

Here

This can be used with or without the 360. Can also be used with the PS3 if wanted.

If wrong forum, please move....Thanks.

[quote name='SpammyMcSpamSpam']I just got mine and it sounds like theres a ball or something moving around in the subwoofer. Is this normal?[/quote]

No, that's not normal. Probably something came loose inside. If it seems to work fine and sound good I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I finally broke down and ordered it I applied for the Buy.com visa and got the extra $30.00 off I will pay it off as soon as I can view the charge on-line and than cancel the card. Not bad for $70.00 shipped, I just hope my first floor neighbors dont complain too much about it.

P.S.
Can somebody point out what else I might need for my set-up.

X-Box 360(hooked up by component)
PS3(hooked up by HDMI)
Wii(hook up with component cables)
HD-DVD Player(hooked up by HDMI)
Comcast HD-DVR Box(hooked up by component)

TV is a 50" Sony RP-LCD and it has one set of red and whit audio outs and one digital audio out.

[quote name='Teqonix']How the heck do you afford all that crap when you're 16?[/quote]

From April to November I worked at a BBQ joint. Got $6 an hour, 3 days a week. 36 hours over the summer, 15 when school started, which is why I quit. I was making $330 every 2 weeks for 6 days work over the summer, and only $150 when school started in August. So I quit. I bought all my stuff myself. And I just got $510 for Christmas. And my 17th birthday is next month, so even more money. Now I sit back and enjoy my stuff. I'll probably work again (at a different place) next summer.

[quote name='Mainiac']No, that's not normal. Probably something came loose inside. If it seems to work fine and sound good I wouldn't worry too much about it.[/quote]

I found that it was a plastic loop. I cant pull it out. It doesnt seem to mess anything up.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']From April to November I worked at a BBQ joint. Got $6 an hour, 3 days a week. 36 hours over the summer, 15 when school started, which is why I quit. I was making $330 every 2 weeks for 6 days work over the summer, and only $150 when school started in August. So I quit. I bought all my stuff myself. And I just got $510 for Christmas. And my 17th birthday is next month, so even more money. Now I sit back and enjoy my stuff. I'll probably work again (at a different place) next summer.[/QUOTE]
Still doesnt explain the truck unless its an old used one that was less than $2,000 or a hand me down that you consider "new"

I ordered it, at that price... why not especially with the $10 off with google checkout.

I can't wait to play Bioshock with this, that game is just creepy.

So from looking at this thread, the HDMI carries audio as well? Well, this unit comes with an optical cable. I'm planning on using that and not wanting sound coming out of the TV. Is this something I can set up from within the 360?

so I got mine and everything came in totally dead

lmao
damn
well tomorrow im going to a service center to get this thing repaired!

Has anyone placed an order recently and hasn't had their status change from "Sent to Warehouse" yet? I ordered mine on Christmas day.

[quote name='lookitsrobss']so I got mine and everything came in totally dead

lmao
damn
well tomorrow im going to a service center to get this thing repaired![/quote]

Mine also came in dead...Well the "Blue Light" on the reciever just kept flashing. I called Buy.com but they said to contact Pioneer. I did and Pioneer said that BUY.COM is NOT AN AUTHORIZED RESELLER and that they will not support it. Well, after being on hold for what seemed forever and patched through to 6 different people I finally talked to someone and they told me that it will be 2 business days before I get a reply from their complaint dept. 3 days later I recieved an email with a link to a UPS airbill for the shipment back... Well got it packed up and dropped it off at the local UPS and they are not shipping out until Wed....

Needless to say I will update when I get the new on in hand and powered up.

[quote name='ajh2298']CABLE QUESTION:

Does it matter on the toslink cable if I go with the cheaper Monoprice.com option over the more expensive one, will I notice any quality loss?

Cheap:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2

More Expensive:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2[/quote]

No, it wont make any difference. Digital is digital. If both cables are made properly, no crimps or breaks, then the sound quality will be the same. Save some money and get the cheaper version.

[quote name='SLdK']Has anyone placed an order recently and hasn't had their status change from "Sent to Warehouse" yet? I ordered mine on Christmas day.[/quote]

I ordered mine on the 28th and they're still listed as "Send to Warehouse"...

Not good. The site says if it will stay at this stage if the item is out of stock. =\

I ordered mine the 23rd and it arrived the 28th. Not bad for free shipping and Christmas in the middle. I am satisfied with the system especially for the price.

Im having issues with it. I cant get the optical cable to work with the 360. It works perfect with the playstation, and work great it does. But what can i be missing to get the optical to work with the 360? I cant be this stupid...plug optical into high def cable..plus to subwoofer...should work as easy as the ps3 i hooked up a second ago. Is there a setting im missing?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Im having issues with it. I cant get the optical cable to work with the 360. It works perfect with the playstation, and work great it does. But what can i be missing to get the optical to work with the 360? I cant be this stupid...plug optical into high def cable..plus to subwoofer...should work as easy as the ps3 i hooked up a second ago. Is there a setting im missing?[/QUOTE]

Did you set audio output to optical within the 360's control panel?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']All i see is where you can set it to 5.1 dolby.[/QUOTE]

Urk. Right. Getting it mixed up with the PS3. Turn the 360 on. Unhook the optical cable from the sound system itself, and see if the tip is glowing bright red. Point it /away/ from yourself and just shine it at a fingertip or something.

Do you get that bright red glow? If not, perhaps it is the cable, but we might be dealing with a bad TOSlink port.

Gently unhook the optical cable, from the 360 side and see if there is a red glow from that port itself. Be careful not to expose the inner port to dust. Does this glow?

[quote name='Gourd']Urk. Right. Getting it mixed up with the PS3. Turn the 360 on. Unhook the optical cable from the sound system itself, and see if the tip is glowing bright red. Point it /away/ from yourself and just shine it at a fingertip or something.

Do you get that bright red glow? If not, perhaps it is the cable, but we might be dealing with a bad TOSlink port.

Gently unhook the optical cable, from the 360 side and see if there is a red glow from that port itself. Be careful not to expose the inner port to dust. Does this glow?[/QUOTE]

um no. does this mean im going to have to waste another 40 bucks to get this thing to work with my 360?

Hey guys,

I am planning on posting a tutorial later today about how to make speaker stands for the Pioneer's satellite speakers for ~$16 in ~20 minutes. Like most, I've been super busy the past couple days, but I just wanted to give the heads up that I will be posting the tutorial and pictures soon!

Cheers and Happy New Year!!

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']um no. does this mean im going to have to waste another 40 bucks to get this thing to work with my 360?[/quote]

$40, for what? monoprice.com has cables for ~$4, ~$7 after shipping.

[quote name='drkrdglo']Hey guys,

I am planning on posting a tutorial later today about how to make speaker stands for the Pioneer's satellite speakers for ~$16 in ~20 minutes. Like most, I've been super busy the past couple days, but I just wanted to give the heads up that I will be posting the tutorial and pictures soon!

Cheers and Happy New Year!![/QUOTE]

Wow, that would be great. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

By the way, the price has gone up by about $8.

Well I received mine this past Saturday after ordering them the previous week and finally got a chance to hook everything up tonight and I am very impressed with them, great deal! :)

Here's a little new year's present for all the CAG who have partaken in this fantastic deal.

INTRO:

Let me preface this tutorial by saying it was inspired by this gentleman's how-to blog. However, the stands I am presenting are to be used exclusively with the Pioneer surround or front (L-R) speakers. I say this because the weight of this specific torchiere lamp's stand perfectly balances the Pioneer speaker - a speaker that's any heavier will require the more heavy-duty lamp found in the aforementioned tutorial.

I made these stands in less than 20 minutes and they cost me a total of ~$16-18.

IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

MATERIALS:
  • 2 - Wal-Mart Torchiere Lamps (the cheapest torchiere lamps found at Walmart B&M, $7.96 each)
  • 2 - Sheet Metal (Finishing) Screws #7 x 7/16
  • 1 - 7/64" drill bit (For metal)
  • 1 - Drill
  • 1 - Tape measure
  • 1 - Hack saw (optional, only necessary if you have to cut a pole to size)
  • 1 - Wonderful girlfriend to help you out by holding the pole while you drill (optional, but suggested!)
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Begin by removing the lamp's electrical wire that's running through each of the poles. Feel free to cut the wire in pieces to remove it easier.
  2. Find the correct height for the speakers. If I can remember correctly, the surround sound speakers are to be mounted level with your ears when in a seated position.
  3. Assemble the "stand" by screwing the first three poles into the base. Measure where your cut off point will be (if necessary). I lucked out since 3 assembled poles was at the perfect height (48") for my speakers. If need be, use a hacksaw to cut your assembled stands down to size.
  4. Place the stand infront of you and make sure the poles are screwed together as tight as possible. Now comes the part where you mark where you speaker is going to be mounted. I wanted the wire to exit behind the speaker, so I made sure the hole for the wire was at the back of the stand when marking where my holes should be drilled. Mark two holes on the side where the speaker will be facing forward. The first hole should be marked 1-1/8" from the top of the pole and the second hole should be marked 3-1/2" from the top of the pole.
  5. Call upon that wonderful girlfriend of yours (or friend or family member for that matter) to help you hold the pole when you drill. After all, you do want to make this look nice don't you? Just a final word of caution - The pole is very thin and slippery, so it's easy for the drill bit to slide all around the pole and scratch it up. Drill the top hole as a pilot hole (7/64") for the sheet metal screw. Since it's just a pilot hole, you'll benefit by not drilling all the way through the metal. Drill the lower, second hole, until you have an opening of 1/4". (I found it easiest to use the same drill bit as on the pilot hole. Use it to drill four little holes next to each other and then round it out so the hole is about 1/4".)
  6. Drill the metal screw through the top pilot hole. You might have to adjust the screw depending on how snug you want the speaker to fit.
  7. Unscrew the poles from the base. Fish the speaker wire through the base and up through the poles. Screw back together.
    IMG_2652.JPG
  8. Attach the wall mount to the speaker, connect the wire to the speaker and finally, hang the speaker on the pole.
IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

I hope this little how-to guide helps some of you folks save some money on outrageously priced speaker stands. I tried to make the directions as detailed as possible, but I assure you - it's much easier than it looks. Like I said, it took me 20 minutes total to get these puppies finished. Feel free to shoot any questions my way!

Take care and once again, happy new year!

[quote name='drkrdglo']Here's a little new year's present for all the CAG who have partaken in this fantastic deal.

INTRO:

Let me preface this tutorial by saying it was inspired by this gentleman's how-to blog. However, the stands I am presenting are to be used exclusively with the Pioneer surround or front (L-R) speakers. I say this because the weight of this specific torchiere lamp's stand perfectly balances the Pioneer speaker - a speaker that's any heavier will require the more heavy-duty lamp found in the aforementioned tutorial.

I made these stands in less than 20 minutes and they cost me a total of ~$16-18.

IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG

MATERIALS:
  • 2 - Wal-Mart Torchiere Lamps (the cheapest torchiere lamps found at Walmart B&M, $7.96 each)
  • 2 - Sheet Metal (Finishing) Screws #7 x 7/16
  • 1 - 7/64" drill bit (For metal)
  • 1 - Drill
  • 1 - Tape measure
  • 1 - Hack saw (optional, only necessary if you have to cut a pole to size)
  • 1 - Wonderful girlfriend to help you out by holding the pole while you drill (optional, but suggested!)
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Begin by removing the lamp's electrical wire that's running through each of the poles. Feel free to cut the wire in pieces to remove it easier.
  2. Find the correct height for the speakers. If I can remember correctly, the surround sound speakers are to be mounted level with your ears when in a seated position.
  3. Assemble the "stand" by screwing the first three poles into the base. Measure where your cut off point will be (if necessary). I lucked out since 3 assembled poles was at the perfect height (48") for my speakers. If need be, use a hacksaw to cut your assembled stands down to size.
  4. Place the stand infront of you and make sure the poles are screwed together as tight as possible. Now comes the part where you mark where you speaker is going to be mounted. I wanted the wire to exit behind the speaker, so I made sure the hole for the wire was at the back of the stand when marking where my holes should be drilled. Mark two holes on the side where the speaker will be facing forward. The first hole should be marked 1-1/8" from the top of the pole and the second hole should be marked 3-1/2" from the top of the pole.
  5. Call upon that wonderful girlfriend of yours (or friend or family member for that matter) to help you hold the pole when you drill. After all, you do want to make this look nice don't you? Just a final word of caution - The pole is very thin and slippery, so it's easy for the drill bit to slide all around the pole and scratch it up. Drill the top hole as a pilot hole (7/64") for the sheet metal screw. Since it's just a pilot hole, you'll benefit by not drilling all the way through the metal. Drill the lower, second hole, until you have an opening of 1/4". (I found it easiest to use the same drill bit as on the pilot hole. Use it to drill four little holes next to each other and then round it out so the hole is about 1/4".)
  6. Drill the metal screw through the top pilot hole. You might have to adjust the screw depending on how snug you want the speaker to fit.
  7. Unscrew the poles from the base. Fish the speaker wire through the base and up through the poles. Screw back together.
    IMG_2652.JPG
  8. Attach the wall mount to the speaker, connect the wire to the speaker and finally, hang the speaker on the pole.
IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

I hope this little how-to guide helps some of you folks save some money on outrageously priced speaker stands. I tried to make the directions as detailed as possible, but I assure you - it's much easier than it looks. Like I said, it took me 20 minutes total to get these puppies finished. Feel free to shoot any questions my way!

Take care and once again, happy new year![/quote]

That is awesome! Now all I will need to do is find rubber caps for the tops of the poles.

I have a question to you tech savy people. Can I do Linear PCM(uncompressed) through these speakers without damaging them? My PS3 said if the speakers weren't able to do this, I could damage them. Just wondering.

I have been reading over at the AVSforum.com that alot of TV's will not pass 5.1 audio via there digital audio out lines for components that are plugged into the TV's HDMI ports, does anybody know if this is true?

Why I ask is because I plan on plugging my 360 via a toslink cable into one of the digital inputs on the sound system and then using the coaxle input for my HD Cable Box and then running the digital output from my TV to cover my PS3 and HD-DVD that are plugged into my TV via HDMI. At first Iwas told this would work but know it seems I am getting conflicting reports, on the matter.

[quote name='Kendal']That is awesome! Now all I will need to do is find rubber caps for the tops of the poles.

I have a question to you tech savy people. Can I do Linear PCM(uncompressed) through these speakers without damaging them? My PS3 said if the speakers weren't able to do this, I could damage them. Just wondering.[/quote]

I do Linear pcm through them with all my blu-ray movies that have the sound option. I didnt think it would work, but playing around with the option, the difference is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised this systems ability to accept the pcm sound, my friend was over and he has a much more expensive setup with a really nice receiver, and his does not accept pcm. I dont know if any damage will happen because of it, but so far its worked out great, sounds amazing. I believe the advantage is the fact that there is no receiver trying to process the signal, i believe the PS3 processes it and is a raw feed. I cant say enough how happy i am with this system, and i paid $150 for it, i would be rejoicing even more at $99. By the way i set my ps3 to bitstream and select LPCM through the Blu-Ray's individual menu. Works great, i did a quick change between Dolby and PCM and the difference is astounding.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have been reading over at the AVSforum.com that alot of TV's will not pass 5.1 audio via there digital audio out lines for components that are plugged into the TV's HDMI ports, does anybody know if this is true?

Why I ask is because I plan on plugging my 360 via a toslink cable into one of the digital inputs on the sound system and then using the coaxle input for my HD Cable Box and then running the digital output from my TV to cover my PS3 and HD-DVD that are plugged into my TV via HDMI. At first Iwas told this would work but know it seems I am getting conflicting reports, on the matter.[/quote]

I have a Pioneer Plasma, and it does not output through digital when the component is connected with HDMI. I have the components connected directly to the system. I am guessing what you read at avs forums is correct and most tv's might be the same?

[quote name='ajh2298']I finally broke down and ordered it I applied for the Buy.com visa and got the extra $30.00 off I will pay it off as soon as I can view the charge on-line and than cancel the card. Not bad for $70.00 shipped, I just hope my first floor neighbors dont complain too much about it.

P.S.
Can somebody point out what else I might need for my set-up.

X-Box 360(hooked up by component)
PS3(hooked up by HDMI)
Wii(hook up with component cables)
HD-DVD Player(hooked up by HDMI)
Comcast HD-DVR Box(hooked up by component)

TV is a 50" Sony RP-LCD and it has one set of red and whit audio outs and one digital audio out.[/quote] Can anyone answer him...I have almost the same thing except I have an old RCA DirecTV box hooked up via composite.

what would I have to do to extend the speaker wires? I notice one end of the speaker wires actually has a cap on them. If I just buy speaker wires, how would I connect them onto the wires that came with the system?

[quote name='ajh2298']I have been reading over at the AVSforum.com that alot of TV's will not pass 5.1 audio via there digital audio out lines for components that are plugged into the TV's HDMI ports, does anybody know if this is true?

Why I ask is because I plan on plugging my 360 via a toslink cable into one of the digital inputs on the sound system and then using the coaxle input for my HD Cable Box and then running the digital output from my TV to cover my PS3 and HD-DVD that are plugged into my TV via HDMI. At first Iwas told this would work but know it seems I am getting conflicting reports, on the matter.[/QUOTE]
I have a Samsung 32". I have my 360 plugged via HDMI to my Samsung and my Pioneer plugged into TV via optical and I get 5.1

[quote name='Big Wang']what would I have to do to extend the speaker wires? I notice one end of the speaker wires actually has a cap on them. If I just buy speaker wires, how would I connect them onto the wires that came with the system?[/QUOTE]
Tie the exposed wires together.

i didn't go with this surround sound system, but it does look descent for the price. anyhow, you do need an optical audio cable ($6 from Meritline) to get digital audio. That's the only way to get digital audio from the X360, since the unit doesn't have HDMI ports... Personally, i perfer coaxial, since it's a cheaper cable and it's pretty ubiquitous, but the X360 doesn't have a coaxial socket :(

As for the stand, the poster did a great job, but the labor of love cost a lot more than you think... of course, if that's your thing, go for it, if not, get something the other poster posted, a stand from Walmart or get this (i bought two of these, total of four stands).

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-SPSCUR47-Satellite-Speaker-Stands/dp/B000289DCG/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199284519&sr=8-2

Thanks for the heads up on this HTIB. I snagged it just before the 5% off coupon expired, 12/31, and it shipped today at $94.99, so it seems Buy.com has caught up with their inventory. It'll be my first speaker system, really looking forward to it.

The price is back up to $108, but still seems like a pretty great deal for those looking for a system to put in a small room. I'll followup with my thoughts after it arrives.

The system is now "Currently Unavailable: This item is currently unavailable from the Manufacturer."

Was it ever like this before or is it finally run out for good? Terrible timing if it is.. I've had plenty of money for this thing, but I've been waiting for my new card from my bank(they're making me go back in to sign some crap they forgot), and now I'm a bit irritated.

[quote name='Timodi']The system is now "Currently Unavailable: This item is currently unavailable from the Manufacturer."

Was it ever like this before or is it finally run out for good? Terrible timing if it is.. I've had plenty of money for this thing, but I've been waiting for my new card from my bank(they're making me go back in to sign some crap they forgot), and now I'm a bit irritated.[/quote]
I had a similar problem a few days ago. Can you still put your order in or is it not allowed? I put my order in and it was shipped a couple days later even though it said unavailable. Keep trying.

Dang. Like stated previously, it's not available... nor am I able to put an order through or anything like that.

This system looks like a good deal for the price and it will get me by just fine for now.

[quote name='GrimlockX']If this deal really is dead at Buy.com, not sure if it is, you can find this system at Walmart.com
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5280864

It's not as good a deal as it's $120 and unless you ship it to a store, shipping will probably be high, but I figured I'd put this out there for anyone still trying to get this system for a relativly cheap price.[/quote]Plus tax, I think, but that is still a good price for this setup. I'm loving mine.

Just got my system and it seriously is awesome. So easy to hook up and it's got a decent amount of ports. Sound is great as well. And the remote is awesome. Has tons of crap on it other than a mute button but I can't complain about that.

[quote name='Timodi']The system is now "Currently Unavailable: This item is currently unavailable from the Manufacturer."

Was it ever like this before or is it finally run out for good? Terrible timing if it is.. I've had plenty of money for this thing, but I've been waiting for my new card from my bank(they're making me go back in to sign some crap they forgot), and now I'm a bit irritated.[/quote]I believe it did this before, and then switched to "more in stock soon" (which is when others were able to place an order even though it was OOS), and then it came back (and went up in price a few days later). I think it will return.

bread's done
Back