Planet Earth Series (Discovery Channel) - HDDVD, BluRay, DVD

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Amazon has preorders for this great box set at $10 off (w/ free shipping) and it comes out on the 24th. Anybody with an HD format (HDDVD or BluRay) should not pass this up, it is absolutely stunning even on cable so I can only imagine it would be even nicer on a true HD format (cable can't carry a true HD bandwidth).

HDDVD version here: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-...0-1045551?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176685816&sr=8-2

**EDIT: Just wanted to clarify. Amazon says the MSRP is $99, but everywhere else I've seen it listed has it for $79 (Best Buy, etc included) and thus the reason I say it is a $10 savings. I have no idea if that $79 is also a sale price form those other stores though.

[quote name='siamesellama']Amazon is saying my HDDVD version isn't shipping until early May. I was going to cancel and pick it up locally but it seems like everyone is selling it for $100.[/QUOTE]

Well BN sent me an email last week saying that the distributor has pushed back the release to may 1st. But then today I got a shipping email. So I don't know whats going on.

[quote name='siamesellama']Amazon is saying my HDDVD version isn't shipping until early May. I was going to cancel and pick it up locally but it seems like everyone is selling it for $100.[/QUOTE]

erm... but early May is just next week...

[quote name='nosferatu51']Yeah, Amazon seems to be in that "didn't get many copies boat." Says it on the page.[/quote]

It's not so much that they didn't get many copies as they presold a shitload, and then sold even MORE on release week. PE on HD DVD was in the top 20 selling DVDs for WELL over a month (hovered between 12-16 mostly) and in the top 10 for over two weeks (with more than half of that time spent at #4 or 5). The BR version was never too far behind. I think it's just a matter of this title (on all three formats, but espcially the HiDef ones) selling WAY past anybody's wildest expectations.

[quote name='geko29']It's not so much that they didn't get many copies as they presold a shitload, and then sold even MORE on release week. PE on HD DVD was in the top 20 selling DVDs for WELL over a month (hovered between 12-16 mostly) and in the top 10 for over two weeks (with more than half of that time spent at #4 or 5). The BR version was never too far behind. I think it's just a matter of this title (on all three formats, but espcially the HiDef ones) selling WAY past anybody's wildest expectations.[/QUOTE]

When I checked it a few times it was at number 1. I think they pressed a lot less then what was preordered. I don't think they thought it would be as popular as it is.

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']erm... but early May is just next week...[/QUOTE]

Early-May being not quite mid-May and not quite the beginning of May. I believe they said the 10th or 11th.

[quote name='Graystone']When I checked it a few times it was at number 1. I think they pressed a lot less then what was preordered. I don't think they thought it would be as popular as it is.[/quote]

I agree, this is nuts! A nature vidoc selling this well is unheard of. The sad thing is that many of these things shown in the video might not be around when i have my kids.

[quote name='abhinav']I agree, this is nuts! A nature vidoc selling this well is unheard of. The sad thing is that many of these things shown in the video might not be around when i have my kids.[/QUOTE]

yep, us as a human race are so destructive. We are all about tearing down the old to build the new. Let alone the fact that we don't do enough for the environment.

Well, I couldn't wait for my backordered WB order so I went and picked it up tonight. Holy shit. I've only watched the first episode and it is probably the most beautiful hour of video I've ever seen. I cannot recommend this set enough and I've only seen one friggin' episode.

[quote name='Graystone']When I checked it a few times it was at number 1. I think they pressed a lot less then what was preordered. I don't think they thought it would be as popular as it is.[/quote]

That was the SD DVD version that was #1. No HD DVD or Blu-Ray has ever been past #4, though PE on HD has been there on 3 seperate occasions.

Obviously the SD DVD sold more than the two HiDef releases, but I think the HiDef versions outsold BBC Warner's expectations by a wider margin.

I watched the show for the first time over the weekend. Caught two episodes, Freshwater and Desert, it was enough to get me hooked.

Problem is every B&M store in my area is out of it and every online store (with a good deal) is out of it as well.

[quote name='Graystone']Got my copy today. Now I just got to sit down, and watch it.[/QUOTE]

Did you order it online? If so, which site? Mine from WB.com still says "In Process."

[quote name='lyric706']Did you order it online? If so, which site? Mine from WB.com still says "In Process."[/QUOTE]

Barnes and Noble They had it for $36 shipped. I got the regular dvd edition though.

[quote name='aw004g']check myexpresscheckout.com and use the tracking code for UPS[/quote]

Sweet, thanks! UPS claims they delivered both Packages (Planet Earth BR and 2 BR movies.) This weekend is gonna be great when i go home!

[quote name='Snake2715']Hopefully you got the right one... this is NOT the right Planet Earth:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=783722302422&itm=2[/QUOTE]

no I got this one http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=794051293824&itm=1

IMG_1089.jpg

[quote name='Snake2715']Well thats good to hear. I guess I missed that deal.

Hmm need this soon.[/QUOTE]

I saw it over a slickdeals, it was gone before I could post it here.

Anybody who wants this, Amazon now has 3k copies of the HD DVD, and 1500 of the Blu-Ray in stock. Order away!

There's an amazon retailer that is selling it for $55 plus $3 shipping... the retailer "Just launched", so I don't know if its reliable.... I'm still waiting for my WHV order to ship. I just ordered it a few days ago though. If it doesn't ship soon, I may cancel and go for the Amazon one.

I've had mine ordered from newegg for the past week now. It says avaialble on the site, but it is still yet to ship. I think I will just cancel that and order from amazon where it says it is currently available.

WooHoo my Blu-Ray version from WB just arrived.
(LOL lil surprised after receiving an e-mail notice of 30 day delay 2 days ago...)
just shy of $59 delivered...
Thanks OP!:bouncy:

I started watching the series on BR last night and my god does it look amazing. It is the best Bluray movie i have ever seen, thanks to everyone who advised this set, it was worth it.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Will this still look good on a standard upconversion dvd player or is this dvd reason enough to buy the HD DVD drive for the 360?[/quote]

bump

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Will this still look good on a standard upconversion dvd player or is this dvd reason enough to buy the HD DVD drive for the 360?[/QUOTE]

Get the HD DVD drive. It was shot in HD and upconverted dvd just about never looks as good. I'd wait until next week and get the drive at Circuit City since you get 2 Free movies in addition to King Kong. You probably wouldnt be able to get Planet Earth as a freebie though.

I was told recently that many of my local stores are getting more shipments in this week so if you are looking for this B&M you might be in luck

I may finally bite on this. Though I'm torn between DVD and Blu-Ray, which would either be played on my Oppo or PS3. Anybody playing it on their PS3 care to comment on how well it plays on there? I generally don't take to new movie formats as I don't buy new movies and as such I didn't actually buy my first DVD player until late last year. So PS3 would be my only way I'd be able to watch the Blu-Ray version for quite some time. Which is rather restrictive but nature-related stuff tend to really be great in HD. Meaning I won't be able to bring it with me more than likely to watch at someone elses house and similar things as I'm not going to drag along my PS3 everywhere.

So recommendations? And don't just say Blu-Ray only because it's in HD without weighing options please. It's hard for me to weigh in on it because of what I mentioned earlier and if I do end up getting Blu-Ray it'll be my only Blu-Ray movie for years.

[quote name='Draekon']I may finally bite on this. Though I'm torn between DVD and Blu-Ray, which would either be played on my Oppo or PS3. Anybody playing it on their PS3 care to comment on how well it plays on there? I generally don't take to new movie formats as I don't buy new movies and as such I didn't actually buy my first DVD player until late last year. So PS3 would be my only way I'd be able to watch the Blu-Ray version for quite some time. Which is rather restrictive but nature-related stuff tend to really be great in HD. Meaning I won't be able to bring it with me more than likely to watch at someone elses house and similar things as I'm not going to drag along my PS3 everywhere.

So recommendations? And don't just say Blu-Ray only because it's in HD without weighing options please. It's hard for me to weigh in on it because of what I mentioned earlier and if I do end up getting Blu-Ray it'll be my only Blu-Ray movie for years.[/QUOTE]

Its worth every penny to get it on Blu-ray or HD-DVD. A good friend of mine purchased the DVD version and after watching some of it on his HDTV its a huge difference. For the little bit extra you can get the Blu-ray for at amazon.com or other places, its really worth it to have something to really show of your system to people and just for your enjoyment.

This is the kind of thing the HD was made for.

I just got mine on monday from the wb 30% deal... and oh my... I have to admitt that this is a very good collection.. I got mine on Blu ray but I know its a good collection regardless of the format... this is the best documentary of all time...

bread's done
Back