Planet Earth Series (Discovery Channel) - HDDVD, BluRay, DVD

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Amazon has preorders for this great box set at $10 off (w/ free shipping) and it comes out on the 24th. Anybody with an HD format (HDDVD or BluRay) should not pass this up, it is absolutely stunning even on cable so I can only imagine it would be even nicer on a true HD format (cable can't carry a true HD bandwidth).

HDDVD version here: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-...0-1045551?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176685816&sr=8-2

**EDIT: Just wanted to clarify. Amazon says the MSRP is $99, but everywhere else I've seen it listed has it for $79 (Best Buy, etc included) and thus the reason I say it is a $10 savings. I have no idea if that $79 is also a sale price form those other stores though.

[quote name='Koggit']• Note: this edition features the original narration by David Attenborough[/QUOTE]

I love you.

I have like $150 worth of points from my credit card I can use to get a Circuit City gift card. I've been debating on buying the HD-DVD drive for the 360 with it. This set, I believe, is my deciding point.

This is weird. The discovery channel store shows different box art. Are they selling different versions with the 2 different voice overs?

Yes the one that is on the Discovery channel is narrated by a different person. Personally you can't get anyone better than David Attenborough. I am getting the BBC version.

Ok for us non HD people or for the people I might buy it for as a gift who is years from HD.. I will have to check for the best price.

Ive been watching the series on Discovery. Everything looks amazing. If you need something to showcase your HD setup, this would definately be it. I guess the only deciding point would be how many times would you want to watch a documentary.

I have no idea what this is all about but ordered it from WB w/ the 30% off because of all the hype on these boards. Here's hoping it was money well spent.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I have no idea what this is all about but ordered it from WB w/ the 30% off because of all the hype on these boards. Here's hoping it was money well spent.[/QUOTE]

Heres a link with some links etc I posted up a few weeks ago.

Check out Discovery Channel on Sundays at 8 or 9 pm to catch he last few episodes... May save you a preorder if you don't dig it.

I caught my first episode of this show this weekend and I am hooked! I will definitely buy the DVDs now; it's an incredible show. For anyone like me who doesn't have an HD player, the best price I've found for the standard DVD set is $51 shipped, from familyvideo.com and using the "new" customer $5 off coupon...

[quote name='Snake2715']Heres a link with some links etc I posted up a few weeks ago.

Check out Discovery Channel on Sundays at 8 or 9 pm to catch he last few episodes... May save you a preorder if you don't dig it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what time it plays, but it plays on Discovery HD as well. They usually play it in two hour blocks.

It also plays every day on Science if you catch that channel.

ive been watching this in HD, it looks fantastic. ill have to pick up one of these sets... first i need a hddvd or bluray player though...

Heh, ^^ beat me to it. I saw it on Slickdeals this morning and ordered it partially due to the acclaim its received, and my inopportune timing and availability to watch Nature, which I love.

B&N is the cheapest place to get the DVD set (maybe HD or BR too?)

This works for me since I only have DVD players.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I have no idea what this is all about but ordered it from WB w/ the 30% off because of all the hype on these boards. Here's hoping it was money well spent.[/quote]

Thanks to the OP, I ordered my HD DVD version. And yes, this is worth every penny, this series has some amazing footage of wildlife. I could watch these shows over and over. I watch them on Discovery HD channel and think they will look just as good if not better on the 360's HD-DVD player, I can finally get some use out of it. I bought it a while back but I'm not really into spending $30 for a movie that I can get on regular dvd for $15 on release day.

Glad this helped some people. My best way of describing it is like a moving National Geographic photo, the shots are that beautiful.
As far as not using your HDDVD player.... get Netflix!

[quote name='Snake2715']Heres a link with some links etc I posted up a few weeks ago.

Check out Discovery Channel on Sundays at 8 or 9 pm to catch he last few episodes... May save you a preorder if you don't dig it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think your link is working, but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the info. I am hoping it is something me and the kids can watch.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I went ahead and ordered the Blu-ray set from WB's store. With coupons it came to like $57.[/quote]

I've got it in my basket with Free shipping and a lil under $2 tax = $60 shipped for the Blu-Ray...is this the best deal please?

[quote name='donut']I've got it in my basket with Free shipping and a lil under $2 tax = $60 shipped for the Blu-Ray...is this the best deal please?[/QUOTE]

$10 cheaper than amazon and DDD. You will have a hard time beating their prices so I went ahead and ordered.

How would the DVDs look upconverted through VGA on 360? Is the difference big enough to warrant about 230 dollar difference? (need to buy an HDDVD player)

[quote name='rodeojones903']$10 cheaper than amazon and DDD. You will have a hard time beating their prices so I went ahead and ordered.[/quote]

Thank you for the help.
Ordered.

Dangit, I'm trying to save money! Had to order the blu-ray version though... The PS3 has been getting more love than the 360 but oh well. Thanks OP!

Boo, WB store has tax in Florida. Still about $5 cheaper than Amazon, though these orders don't contribute to the HD/BR Amazon ranking pissing contest.

I got an email from Barnes and noble saying that set has been pushed back a week to May1st. So don't worry guys if yours doesn't ship this week.

[quote name='Graystone']I got an email from Barnes and noble saying that set has been pushed back a week to May1st. So don't worry guys if yours doesn't ship this week.[/QUOTE]

I checked at Wal-mart B&M and they had the regular DVD set today (I was looking for the HD set) so it doesn't look as though it's been pushed back. At least on regular DVD. Can anybody confirm the HD set has been pushed back? or has anybody gotten their HDDVD copy yet to disprove it?

[quote name='Machikunas']I checked at Wal-mart B&M and they had the regular DVD set today (I was looking for the HD set) so it doesn't look as though it's been pushed back. At least on regular DVD. Can anybody confirm the HD set has been pushed back? or has anybody gotten their HDDVD copy yet to disprove it?[/QUOTE]

the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray set are out, but most stores didn't receive them or only limited copies. My friend went to a local frys, and they only got 1 copy each of the blu-ray and HD-DVD, and two of the bestbuys over here didn't even get them. Amazon.com seems to be backordered also until early May

My order from WB.com for the HD version still says "In Process." I'm assuming it will change to "Backordered" soon. Oh well. I'll get it eventually — and for $61 after tax!

Nice, Amazon lowered the price almost $3 prior to them shipping the set. Total damage was $66 instead of $69.

edit: no wait, I forgot I have an extra 10% off HD-DVDs for a year with Amazon. Total damage was $62.95. :)

I oredered the BR version a few weeks ago from Warner Home Video for $57.56 and it's on backorder, lol! Hopefully it will ship soon since the price is right. :)

bread's done
Back