Plants vs Zombies, XBLA, 1200pts, September 8th, box release in the fall.

If you have it for the PC there's no reason to buy it for the xbox unless you must have more gamerpoints, or convince a buddy to get it too for some multiplayer hijinx. $2.99 as an app, is $2.99 because no one's going to spend more on an app game.

$15 is the release price, it was $19.99 + peggle and zuma if get it on disc. 1200 ms points is a more attractive number than adveristing it as $15 (even though it's the same thing).

I agree, that's why I'm waiting for Halloween's XBLA sale. It's zombies, it's gotta go on sale.

this is an excellent game, but not for 1200 points. microsoft really has to stop being so greedy about their prices, both for arcade content and for service (10$ price hike is ridiculous).

i already played through it on the PC, and it was a lot of fun. the game does what it can to try to keep things fresh until the end, and there is enough content to warrant coming back to it later on.

bottom line: 800 pts = worth it, 400 pts = bargain, 1200 pts = overpriced.

(all my opinion of course).

You know it'll go on sale for 33% - 50% off soon, but 1200 is for all the ppl that must have every new XBLA game that releases in the first week...but if you hoarded all thos MS pt cards during project Target Eden, 1200 is nothing :)

[quote name='100xp']You know it'll go on sale for 33% - 50% off soon, but 1200 is for all the ppl that must have every new XBLA game that releases in the first week...but if you hoarded all thos MS pt cards during project Target Eden, 1200 is nothing :)[/QUOTE]

I'm on my last 2000 or so points from that haul :

I don't get the hate for the price. Plants vs. Zombies easily has 50+ hours of gameplay, which is rare for most XBLA games to even come close to offering.

I Think it has more to do with the fact it's been out for awhile and cheaper on other platforms. That and 1200pts/$15 games are always a pretty big investment on Live for people.

as much as I like this game, I think I'll just get it off steam...I thought of how much of a challenge it would be to play whack-a-zombie w/a 360 controller. while there are a few added features that hold merit, there's no point in pimping out your virtual lawn when none of your XBL friends will be buying this game.

some games are just more fun to play with a mouse. (this being one of them)

I don't get the hate for the price. Plants vs. Zombies easily has 50+ hours of gameplay, which is rare for most XBLA games to even come close to offering.

Its not so much the price as what it represents. When games were 800 pts, we established that as the standard. So a 1200 pt game had to be amazing or quite long, while a 400 pt game (very rare or sale items) was considered a bargain. Now we've moved into some kind of price hike where the new standard is 1200 pts and 800 pts is considered a "bargain". The "bargain" price we're paying now was the norm for years!

Plants vs Zombies is an excellent game. I had a great time with it, and I did all of the extra maps you can unlock. But on PC its $10, so why charge $15 on console?

I think that summarizes the general distaste for 1200 pts being the new standard.

[quote name='100xp']as much as I like this game, I think I'll just get it off steam...I thought of how much of a challenge it would be to play whack-a-zombie w/a 360 controller. while there are a few added features that hold merit, there's no point in pimping out your virtual lawn when none of your XBL friends will be buying this game.

some games are just more fun to play with a mouse. (this being one of them)[/QUOTE]

Or, better, with a finger. I hope they bring online multiplayer/coop to the iPhone version. That and the minigames and such, even if it is paid DLC.

[quote name='crunchewy']Or, better, with a finger. I hope they bring online multiplayer/coop to the iPhone version. That and the minigames and such, even if it is paid DLC.[/QUOTE]

I have a finger for PvZ on XBL. I think I'd buy PvZ for the DS. Depending how successful PvZ is on XBL and the appstore, I don't see why they wouldn't include more content...but I don't see multiplayer for the appstore anytime soon.

[quote name='AquaKnight']Its not so much the price as what it represents. When games were 800 pts, we established that as the standard. So a 1200 pt game had to be amazing or quite long, while a 400 pt game (very rare or sale items) was considered a bargain. Now we've moved into some kind of price hike where the new standard is 1200 pts and 800 pts is considered a "bargain". The "bargain" price we're paying now was the norm for years!

Plants vs Zombies is an excellent game. I had a great time with it, and I did all of the extra maps you can unlock. But on PC its $10, so why charge $15 on console?

I think that summarizes the general distaste for 1200 pts being the new standard.[/QUOTE]
It's $20 on the PC, both retail and from PopCap's site, and $10 on Steam. I don't know why it's cheaper on Steam though.

I get the general hatred for $15 games that don't have the quality or value to back it up, but this one has both in spades. Lashing out at this game specifically doesn't make any sense to me.
[quote name='crunchewy']Or, better, with a finger. I hope they bring online multiplayer/coop to the iPhone version. That and the minigames and such, even if it is paid DLC.[/QUOTE]
They probably won't at this point, so you're stuck with a gimped version that lacks most of the modes.

I think it's $10 on Steam because you have to play it through Steam's cilent and Steam is very good at making sure you get a healthy helping of ads daily. (I do like Steam though, and TF2)

[quote name='100xp']I think it's $10 on Steam because you have to play it through Steam's cilent and Steam is very good at making sure you get a healthy helping of ads daily. (I do like Steam though, and TF2)[/QUOTE]

FYI, there are more ads on the Xbox Marketplace than on Steam. Your point is moot.

[quote name='mtxbass1']FYI, there are more ads on the Xbox Marketplace than on Steam. Your point is moot.[/QUOTE]

Steam Cilent is free. (fact)
XBL gold membership is not. (fact)
PvZ on Steam is $10 (fact)
PvZ on PopCap's website is $19.99 (fact)
PvZ on XBLA is currently $15 (fact)

Your point to point out mine is moot is trolling.

[quote name='100xp']Steam Cilent is free. (fact)

Your point to point out mine is moot is trolling.[/QUOTE]

I dont get your response. from your OP it looked like you were saying steam could offer a lower price because of all the ads. he points out xbox live contains more ads, thus the same logic should apply.

while this game is in my opinion worth the $15 it is bothersome to see games that would have been $10 not so long ago now being universally $15.

If Steam's cilent is down or you don't have internet connection I don't believe you can play PvZ (or any game for that matter through Steam). The $10 reduced price is for ads displayed to the user along with potential data that you send everytime you click, play, or play a demo which I'm sure Steam uses for something and profits from. While I'm 100% on this, I believe it to be so from some marketing and HUD user end experience.

There's an article somewhere as to why games on XBL cost more because of the ads on XBL while the same games on PC's are generally $5 - $10 cheaper for the same game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You don't need XBL Gold to buy XBLA games, so it doesn't cost anything just to get PvZ on XBLA.[/QUOTE]

I know.

[quote name='100xp']Steam Cilent is free. (fact)

Your point to point out mine is moot is trolling.[/QUOTE]

XBL gold membership is not required for purchase. (fact)
PvZ on Steam has fewer features than it's XBL counterpart. (fact)
Prices on PopCap's website are often very different than their steam counterparts across almost all games they offer. (fact)

You've done nothing but bitch about PvZ in this thread. First about the control scheme, then how it has nothing to offer over the steam version, to how you think you're going to buy it for DS, and finally how you want to buy it on steam. (fact)

We get that YOU don't like the control scheme. Go troll elsewhere about it. You've said it multiple times in this thread already.

[quote name='100xp']If Steam's cilent is down or you don't have internet connection I don't believe you can play PvZ (or any game for that matter through Steam). The $10 reduced price is for ads displayed to the user along with potential data that you send everytime you click, play, or play a demo which I'm sure Steam uses for something and profits from. While I'm 100% on this, I believe it to be so from some marketing and HUD user end experience.

There's an article somewhere as to why games on XBL cost more because of the ads on XBL while the same games on PC's are generally $5 - $10 cheaper for the same game.[/QUOTE]

Link? Source?

You can bet that Microsoft is watching every move you make on XBL and you're naive to think otherwise.

Normally I defend most games 1200 point price.

However, the fact that this game comes out on disc in a month for $20 along with peggle and zuma is quite a bit of bullshit.

This game would easily be worth $20 to me. I played the PC version (which has less features) for 62 hours and I would have kept playing if there'd been any more content. So $15, while more than the Steam version, is still a very fair price IMO. As for the Popcap disc, I already have Peggle and Zuma, so it's not for me. The disc is a good deal for others though.

100xp, you are incorrect about Steam. 99% of Steam games can be played in offline mode, so Steam being down wouldn't affect them. It could affect multiplayer for games that use Steamworks, but the same applies to Xbox Live or PSN being down, of course.
Also mtxbass1 wasn't trolling. Disagreeing with you and trolling aren't the same thing.

I already have Peggle and Zuma too. But selling them for 75% off just for waiting a month after PvZ release is horse shit.

Unless, of course, they drop Peggle and Zuma to 400 points when the disc comes out, which they won't.

I think it's just when you read a post you can't always interpret the tone of the rely, you just hear it how you read it. As for steam's offline mode, you learn something new everyday, ty...I used TF2 as my experience, and TF2 in offline mode would seem rather bland.

game on.

I bought it too, and I already beat the Steam version inside and out. The control is great and anyone should be able to enjoy it. The entire campaign supports local co-op, did you guys know that? Very cool.

It's a shame the OP hasn't been updated lately. I knew a guy who was willing to keep it nice, ya know?

I Forgot how easy it is to get immersed in this damn game. Jesus was thinking of playing a few quick rounds and three hours pass.

I think I saw one achievement that was for an endless mode (40 waves of zombies), which may mean that a full 200 points will be quite hard unless I'm mistaking what that achievement is related to.

[quote name='eastx']I bought it too, and I already beat the Steam version inside and out. The control is great and anyone should be able to enjoy it. The entire campaign supports local co-op, did you guys know that? Very cool.

It's a shame the OP hasn't been updated lately. I knew a guy who was willing to keep it nice, ya know?[/QUOTE]

What needs to be added? That you bought the game?

Let's see... You could update the thread title to reflect that the game is out, maybe add some reviews or a list of Achievements, and perhaps a Youtube video of the 360 version. That's everything that comes to mind.

Beat the adventure mode and am working on a second playthrough with almost all of the flowers unlocked. Finally figuring out how to pull in sun from anywhere on the screen helped make it easier to focus on building plants.

Tried out the Heavy Weapon mini-game, which is one of the earlier mini-games you can unlock. It is a bit of a dual-stick shooter that sticks to just the yard as you control a mobile plant that is shooting at zombies as they walk across the yard. Sun drops from the top of the screen and you can spend that on upgrades, both permanent (more peas per shot and auto-targeting cat tails) and temporary (ice/fire peas and mushroom bomb). It was a bit harder than I expected, as a few of the tougher enemies required a certain strategy to beat them before they got to the house.

Finished all of the puzzle games, minus endless, and am working on the mini-games. I still have a lot of stuff to do just to unlock the things I need to get more of the achievements.

I'm not a fan of the leaderboards (what the neighborhood thing is for) since any friends that have the game also have to be on Live at that moment just to show up. Different things show up on your lawn when you get achievements and progress through the game. You can also use money to spend on different types and levels of houses for your spot in the neighborhood.

[quote name='eastx']Let's see... You could update the thread title to reflect that the game is out, maybe add some reviews or a list of Achievements, and perhaps a Youtube video of the 360 version. That's everything that comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

When I see a wave of people complaining they can't find videos on Youtube, I'll post some up.

Stop bitching.

[quote name='eastx']Tanuki, what's this sun pulling-in thing you mention?[/QUOTE]

my guess is he's referring to collecting sun orbs. tapping the left or right trigger to pull suns to your cursor is all you need to to. I thought you used to have to hold it in like in Fable to collect XP orbs.

[quote name='eastx']Tanuki, what's this sun pulling-in thing you mention?[/QUOTE]
Pushing either trigger down to pull in sun that has appeared on screen rather than moving the cursor around the screen. It's not listed on the controls.

I still have yet to figure out what mode the butter button is for.

The butter button only works in co-op. During co-op campaign, either player can instantly butter an enemy to freeze them. This makes co-op much easier than single-player. It doesn't work on a few enemies like baloon zombies though.

Thanks for telling me about the triggers! Can't believe I missed that.

Me and my bf feel in love with this game.
Were getting the PC version next week.
And im picking up the X360 retail version on tuesday and will most def be buying the DS version. This game is so fun and addicting.

People say this is easy for a tower defense game, butt he only other one I've played is the South Park game for XBLA, and only for a few hours. I got stuck on level 1-7 on this and failed about 5 times. Really fun, though.

bread's done
Back