Play N Trade BOGO for $.01

neudog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
281 (100%)
I know not every CAG has a Play N Trade nearby, but for those who do they are having a Buy One Get One for a $.01 sale. Here is a link to the promo/sale, but no titles are listed so you have to head to your local store for more details: http://www.playntrade.com/Topic/34-penny-power.aspx

If this has been posted already I apologize. When I tried to search for the topic my browser returned the following:

The website cannot display the page
HTTP 500
Most likely causes:
The website is under maintenance.
The website has a programming error.

[quote name='vafongulo']Is it the one in Franklin Square?[/QUOTE]

Closest one is in Smithtown so I'll stop by there tomorrow afternoon and see what deals they have.

[quote name='fortunado']Okay, $3.50, feels like $75 though![/QUOTE]
Holy crap its practically free over here. And nice ill stop in I have one at the corner of my street.

[quote name='Trance Addix']What baffles me is how PnT survived this long by using the same business model (to my limited, third-hand, knowledge) as GS. They don't have any discerning quality that will set them up apart from competitors, and with no specialties the consumers have no reason to shop at PnT. The only good thing is the one near me sells games early.[/QUOTE]

the key differences between them and gamestop are that PnT offers console repair, disc repair (which is really usefull with the perfect circle scratch from the 360), tons of TVs letting you try before you buy the game (gamestop does not let you try ANY game you want), and they sell retro games, and have in store / national tournaments....id say those are discerning qualities that set them apart from the competitors

[quote name='pladman']the key differences between them and gamestop are that PnT offers console repair, disc repair (which is really usefull with the perfect circle scratch from the 360), tons of TVs letting you try before you buy the game (gamestop does not let you try ANY game you want), and they sell retro games, and have in store / national tournaments....id say those are discerning qualities that set them apart from the competitors[/QUOTE]

Gamestop by me has most of that. They repair consoles, clean discs, and host tournaments. If you buy a used game you have a week to return it for any reason and get a full refund, so it's kind of like a try before you buy.

PnT prices and trade in values always seemed a little higher/lower, so I don't go there.

[quote name='Solder']There is one about a half hour from me in Saratoga Springs; I've never been.

Are these worth checking out usually?[/QUOTE]

That one closed.

I called my Play N' Trade on Tuesday to see if they have the promo, and they actually do. Since the store is like 3 stores down from when I work, I didn't go to check it out today, but totally forgot about the deal. Now what they talk about on the phone is every game, now I will have to see if it's new or used or both.

Now they have some really rare retro games that I may picked up if they actually do let me pick one for 0.01 cents.

I want Suikoden 1, and Vandal Heart, or I will have to see what they have for the rest of the consoles.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Sorry to be off-topic, but Panera is a blessing to fast food.[/QUOTE]

This plz, with a side of broc & cheese soup.

I went to Play N Trade in Pasadena, CA (didn't even know they were there) spent $.75 on parking hoping for super deal. But my excitement faded quickly.

There was a sign promoting the one cent sale, so I asked the guy behind the counter for further details. He said that it applies only to older systems and not for ps3, 360 or Wii. And that the one cent game have to be under $4.95 to qualify. Right then I noticed a copy of SNES FF2 for $64.00 and realized then that the sale pretty much only applies to ps2 and og Xbox.

He did say that they were doing a b2g1 free for all systems.

So I checked out the ps3 used/new section and it was piss poor, “I HAVE MORE PS3 GAMES ON MY WALL THAN THIS STORE!!”. Also, all of the used and new prices were WAY over priced, such as Tornado Outbreak was priced used for $34.99 and I just saw it new at Frys for $9.99. Or a used copy of RE5 for $39.99. Even their new section had year old games at full MSRP $59.99. They also didn't even have newer games like Dragon Age 2, or Mass Effect 2 etc.

Even if they did have b1g1 one cent on ps3 you would still be getting ripped off! I wish I had only put a dime in the meter :( Never again PNT

Man, I really miss my old Play N Trade. They had so many good deals. Their prices were high for the most part, but they had enough sales that if you waited just a little while you could find some great prices. There is only one near me now, but it is a little too far away to get to regularly enough to find good deals and when I was there their prices were even higher.

Anyway, nice find. I have to head to the area where my Play N Trade is, so if they still have the deal going on maybe I can snag of a few good deals :D

[quote name='fortunado']This plz, with a side of broc & cheese soup.[/QUOTE]

My gf swears by that soup -- I'm more of a tomato basil guy :cool:

In terms of PnT business model: neither stores that I have went to advertised their specialty in repairing, but they did have some older, rare games.

Every PnT is different. Prices vary from store to store so if one PnT has bad prices that doesn't mean the others will. The two in my town are pretty fair for the most part so I am considering going in to both the ones in my town and seeing what they have going on for this sale.

[quote name='david12795']wouldnt it be a good idea to call? or should just go right in?[/QUOTE]

For the most part yeah it would be a good idea to call, but it's been 3-4 months since I been to my local PnTs, but I might just call to save myself a little trip.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']For the most part yeah it would be a good idea to call, but it's been 3-4 months since I been to my local PnTs, but I might just call to save myself a little trip.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully your PnTs are still in business. 3 months is a lot of time and these stores tend to go under real quickly and with little warning.

[quote name='Josef']Hopefully your PnTs are still in business. 3 months is a lot of time and these stores tend to go under real quickly and with little warning.[/QUOTE]

Considering one is 3 minutes from my house and I pass it every time I leave my house and the other is near the busiest part of town that I go by once a week or so yeah they are in business still. The guy who ones the one at the busiest part of town owns the 2nd store that he opened this past summer. I doubt he would do that if it the first store wasn't making a profit.

I am surprised they are making it in my town considering there are four gamestops within 5 miles of one another (2 near each PnT), two Super Wal-Mart's about 5 miles apart (1 near each PnT), two K-Marts (one near each PnT), Target, BB, Toys R Us (all 3 of those are near the original PnT in my town). So there is a lot of competition, but they seem to make it work so kudos to them.

Theres a relatively new play n trade here in south Austin. I never would have even realized it was there, but they had some dude standing on the street corner probably sweating his balls off in a full body Mario mascot costume holding a sign. The staff were nice but the selection sucked, no deals, and the place was empty. I really don't expect them to make it but I hope they can prove me wrong. Even if they are doing this sale at my location, I don't think I'll bother because the selection was so limited.

[quote name='fortunado']I have a store about 25 miles from me. Are there any deals worth that trip? Remember, gas costs about $75/gallon right now. ;([/QUOTE]

If you have to worry about gas that much perhaps you shouldn't be spending your money on videogames.

called my pnt that was on the way. they do have a B1G1aP for current gen games $30 or more.

and a b1g1 free for retro games (no certain amount on the cost of the game). but i didnt bother to stop by because i knew i wouldnt buy anything :roll:

The one in Union Square, NY closed some time ago. A shame, but there was no incentive to go there other than to avoid the nearby Gamestop.

bread's done
Back