Playstation 15 year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFWRX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5633974/fifteen-y.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sony invites fans to help celebrate the fifteen year anniversary with several special discounts and free items available through the PlayStation Network.

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStation Store starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 - through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation® (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.

Man, I wish I had fond memories of the PlayStation launch like most of you. My parents went through this period of not buying us a new console for 5 years straight. I'm not really sure what our financial situation was because I was only 6 in '95, but the Super Nintendo was the newest console in our household until 2000.

My first experience with the PlayStation was when my brother (who is 11 years older than me and no longer lived at home) bought one back in 1999. After he bought it he took me to Blockbuster and we picked out 5 games to rent. If I remember correctly they were Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Bubsy 3D, a WWF game, and football game. Me and my sister beat Crash Bandicoot almost completely in one night it was so much fun, and me and my brother were blown away by the huge roster in Trilogy and played it for hours. Bubsy 3D was probably the worst made game I ever saw. The next year my parents finally bought me a slim PlayStation with Crash Bandicoot Warped (note that at this point the PS2 had already been released, so even then we weren't really getting current gen consoles). I ended up getting all of the Crash and Spyro games and me and my best friend spent an insane amount of time playing CTR. When I got to high school I started hanging out with a different group of friends. My new best friend introduced me to the Silent Hill series, and as far as I'm concerned the first Silent Hill is the best PS1 game I've played to date.

I hope for a discount on the Spyro and Crash games, they were included in my 30+ PS1 collection I foolishly gave away and the asshole pawned every last one of them before I learned what I just did.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Man, I wish I had fond memories of the PlayStation launch like most of you. My parents went through this period of not buying us a new console for 5 years straight. I'm not really sure what our financial situation was because I was only 6 in '95, but the Super Nintendo was the newest console in our household until 2000.

My first experience with the PlayStation was when my brother (who is 11 years older than me and no longer lived at home) bought one back in 1999. After he bought it he took me to Blockbuster and we picked out 5 games to rent. If I remember correctly they were Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Bubsy 3D, a WWF game, and football game. Me and my sister beat Crash Bandicoot almost completely in one night it was so much fun, and me and my brother were blown away by the huge roster in Trilogy and played it for hours. Bubsy 3D was probably the worst made game I ever saw. The next year my parents finally bought me a slim PlayStation with Crash Bandicoot Warped (note that at this point the PS2 had already been released, so even then we weren't really getting current gen consoles). I ended up getting all of the Crash and Spyro games and me and my best friend spent an insane amount of time playing CTR. When I got to high school I started hanging out with a different group of friends. My new best friend introduced me to the Silent Hill series, and as far as I'm concerned the first Silent Hill is the best PS1 game I've played to date.[/QUOTE]

Haha, at least you had some memories with the PlayStation. I went from an Atari/Sega Master System (1990, both belonged to my brother) to a PlayStation 2 (purchased in 2002). So I have a huge gap of games I never played. I'm just catching up on some old games.

Since I love rpgs and I have always wanted to play Suikoden, at 2.99, that was a no brainer for me. :D

[quote name='djduke316']The Playstation was the first console I bought with my own money. I was so excited when I came home with it. I didn't even have a game for it for a week! Luckily they put demo discs in the boxes back then![/QUOTE]

Ahh, memories. I remember when pack-in games were considered the norm.

If there's no pack-in, then there needs to be some sort of promo offer to get me to buy a console (not made by Nintendo that is;)) besides a good line up of games or at least the potential of a good line up.

Bought the Dreamcast for 150 when Fry's gave you RE: Code Veronica for free. Bought the original Xbox for 200 when they threw in the JSRF/GT2000 combo game disc.

I didn't buy the PS1 until 1997 (maybe '98) because of this. By that point it dropped to 130 and MGS was nearing its release date.

I'd love to see Fear Effect and R4 get a deal, just so that I don't have to go digging around to find my copies.

I believe Tekken 2 was my first game, and Arc the Lad was my last. Fighting games came into prominence for me on the PSX. Bushido Blade, Tekken, DOA, Darkstalkers, Bloody Roar, Steet Fighter EX, etc.. It was also the first system I was aware of what an RPG was, since I had played and enjoyed Super Mario RPG. Opened the door for me to the Final Fantasy series, Dragon Warrior VII, Lunar Silver Star, and Arc the Lad.

What was the worst game you guys had/played for the psx? I remember having more fun playing the little racing mini-game during the long load times in Fantastic Four than playing the actual game.

Ah, bushido blade! I had a serious love hate relationship with that game. oh how many times i restarted a level because the first thing the enemy did was score a cheap hit to my sword arm. grr. and the tower bonus game thingy...there's nothing worse than almost completing the entire blasted thing, only to be killed in one hit by some random goon.

I remember buying my PSX (that's what everyone called it back in the day kids) from Best Buy in late 96. Man, everything about it was amazing compared to the SNES and Genesis... too bad most games haven't aged well at all. If I remember correctly Tekken 2 was my first game.

The PS 1 was a blessing in disguise for me. I remember when i picked it up. I was 12 and got a ton of B'day monies and hit KB toy store with my pops. I really really wanted a N64 but it was sold out. I had rented the system plenty of times from my local video store and fell in love with games like Twisted Metal and Bushido blade. So really wanted a next gen system and i thought it was the next best thing. First thing i bought was Tekken 2 and i have never looked back. This system has brought so many fond memories just like the previous era before it. I still have my whole Ps 1 library and will never get rid of it. hope PSN will give out some great deals on games.

[quote name='Optical']I remember buying my PSX (that's what everyone called it back in the day kids) from Best Buy in late 96. Man, everything about it was amazing compared to the SNES and Genesis... too bad most games haven't aged well at all. If I remember correctly Tekken 2 was my first game.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth. I remember being absolutely blown away by the leap from my SNES to the PlayStation and Saturn. It was like my friends and I were all convinced games could not possibly look or sound any better. Now, you'd have to force me to play most of my old games. I'll still pop in some of the old PS1 RPGs. They have stood the test of time, in my opinion. Early 3D games, though, like Tomb Raider...ugh...don't even try it...

How do you download the psp theme without having an actual PSP? I want to save a copy of the PSP theme file before it disappears. I tried to download from my PS3 and it says "Connect storage media device at save location". I tried with Media Go on the PC and it wants to connect to the PSP via USB. Any way?

[quote name='eau']How do you download the psp theme without having an actual PSP? I want to save a copy of the PSP theme file before it disappears. I tried to download from my PS3 and it says "Connect storage media device at save location". I tried with Media Go on the PC and it wants to connect to the PSP via USB. Any way?[/QUOTE]

No, you can only save PSP Themes directly to the system itself.

[quote name='g-man']Ah, bushido blade! I had a serious love hate relationship with that game. oh how many times i restarted a level because the first thing the enemy did was score a cheap hit to my sword arm. grr. and the tower bonus game thingy...there's nothing worse than almost completing the entire blasted thing, only to be killed in one hit by some random goon.[/QUOTE]

My brother gave me bushido blade as a gift when I was seven and the only thing I remember about that game is seeing a bridge, a beach, cutting down bamboo trees and jumping down into some area and getting dirty with mud. I can remember spending hours just walking around the environment but I have no memories of a story mode, the characters or anything else...Can someone who has played it confirm that what I remember is actually part of the game because I think I am going crazy.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Isn't that the truth. I remember being absolutely blown away by the leap from my SNES to the PlayStation and Saturn. It was like my friends and I were all convinced games could not possibly look or sound any better. Now, you'd have to force me to play most of my old games. I'll still pop in some of the old PS1 RPGs. They have stood the test of time, in my opinion. Early 3D games, though, like Tomb Raider...ugh...don't even try it...[/QUOTE]

this, holy crap this.

i remember being blown away by some of FF6's (FF3 in US) graphics on the SNES. I recently downloaded Silent Hill off PSN, hoping to replay some fond memories. Jeebus, THOSE graphics take getting used to again.

They should put the first Need for Speed up on the PS Store with the horn code intact as well.

It's so funny thinking that the PS1 was $299 when it came out (I think).

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Arg! I already paid $5.99 for Suikoden

And I own the discs of every other PSOne Classic (that are any good)[/QUOTE]

Same here (the day it first released on PSN), and I don't regret having done so either. Well worth $5.99, and $2.99 is a "no-brainer"! :booty:

Wow...15 years already...the Psx was very interesting for me, in the sense that I never truly played a popular game on it. Almost every game I had on it was an "underrated gem" as it were. I bought Final Fantasy VII in 2003 when I already had a PS2. I bought Metal Gear Solid in like 2007 or so. For me, My psx days were spent playing Tomba, Tomba 2, and Legend of Legaia. Man how I miss those days. Its funny, since then I dont think Ive ever been as into video games as I was during the 32-bit era. It may be that I was a kid back then and Ive grown up now and dont like games as much anymore, but give me almost any ps1 rpg over ANY current gen games any day... Oh yeah, and I hope Final Fantasy IX gets a discount so even more people can enjoy it. To this day, even though I played it in like 2004ish, its my favorite video game period.

Is anyone else having trouble adding funds to their wallet? I keep getting the same "cannot add funds" message, and I feel like I have done everything right.

[quote name='rbarba4']Ahh, memories. I remember when pack-in games were considered the norm.

If there's no pack-in, then there needs to be some sort of promo offer to get me to buy a console (not made by Nintendo that is;)) besides a good line up of games or at least the potential of a good line up.

Bought the Dreamcast for 150 when Fry's gave you RE: Code Veronica for free. Bought the original Xbox for 200 when they threw in the JSRF/GT2000 combo game disc.

I didn't buy the PS1 until 1997 (maybe '98) because of this. By that point it dropped to 130 and MGS was nearing its release date.

I'd love to see Fear Effect and R4 get a deal, just so that I don't have to go digging around to find my copies.[/QUOTE]

Well, launch PS1s came with Ridge Racer.

[quote name='integralsmatic']The PS 1 was a blessing in disguise for me. I remember when i picked it up. I was 12 and got a ton of B'day monies and hit KB toy store with my pops. I really really wanted a N64 but it was sold out. I had rented the system plenty of times from my local video store and fell in love with games like Twisted Metal and Bushido blade. So really wanted a next gen system and i thought it was the next best thing. First thing i bought was Tekken 2 and i have never looked back. This system has brought so many fond memories just like the previous era before it. I still have my whole Ps 1 library and will never get rid of it. hope PSN will give out some great deals on games.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except the system I wanted at the time was the Jaguar because I got this cool ass post card in the mail and I was a dumbass kid. Man, my dad saved me with that one.

1995? I was still playing Genesis and my Jaguar (which I got with 20 games for less than $150, gotta love toy stores going out of business)
I never played a Sony game until 2000 when I got a launch PS2.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Really? I think the PS2 was Sony's highest point. PS1 was a great system, and I really like my PS3, but I think the PS2 was their best system. Just like I feel the SNES was Nintendo's highest point. ;)[/QUOTE]

Truer words have never been spoken. The SNES was my all-time favorite system, but the PS2 definitely took it up even higher.

But that takes nothing away from the PS1 of course. It truly was an RPG fan's heaven!

[quote name='askz']Is anyone else having trouble adding funds to their wallet? I keep getting the same "cannot add funds" message, and I feel like I have done everything right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had to go into my account and update my cc. It had expired. Might check that.

I've never played Suikoden.
DEFINITELY buying it the second I get home (if I can get my internet working again).

Also, I might be the only person in the world to think this, but I always preferred the original Xbox to the PS2, always thought it was (and still do) a better console; obviously PS2 had better games, but I always enjoyed the memory card-less Xbox1 idea and interface. Funny thing, I always wanted a Saturn over a PS1, but my parents bought me a PS1 and I hated it cause I didn't know any good games for it. Later in its life, I played RE2, and I was happy ever since.

[quote name='Lost Loser']I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet, but PlayStation tweeted 15 minutes ago that the first PS One classic on sale is Suikoden for $3.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I still got that on original . Though it maybe worth getting just to put onto my PSP.

[quote name='Buuhan1']We DO need more PSone classics, but sales on ones I haven't bought are welcomed. Give us the Megaman Legends series, already?[/QUOTE]
Legend of Tron Bonne was tits. Wonder if Sony will ever revive the Jet Moto franchise. . .

I didn't think the PS was a legit console when I initially heard of it. I first read about it in one of those high priced gadget magazines (I think it was Sharper Image) where they had it listed for $500, which of course made it instantly unobtainable for a 9 year old kid. Regardless I wasn't really interested anyways at first because when I read about it, it sounded to me like another edutainment system (this was around the time of cd-i and 3DO mind you). Jump a year forward and I'm at some mall electronics store and they have it set up with twisted metal and it was love at first sight.

Suikoden for $3? I bought but never finished that...I may do that.

Okay, so semi-dumb questions... I don't currently have a Playstation 3. The Playstation Portable doesn't work with modern encrypted networks. So that leaves that Media Manager program.

Does anyone have complaints with it? Does it install weird drivers or services or anything nasty?

How does activation work through it? Like does the program itself take up one of your 5 activation "slots"? Can you activate/deactivate your PSP through it just like on a PS3?

Regarding the Playstation itself...it was probably the best designed system of that generation (I'd argue maybe the worst of the next generation, and the best of the current portables). No doubt it was a great system, EXCEPT what stinks is it killed Sega. The Saturn was more complicated hardware, but still a great system hardware-wise, and awesome software-wise too. If not for the Playstation, the Saturn probably would have been the number one system that generation...meaning we would have had a successful Saturn 2, and we'd still be playing Sega consoles. No crappy period with bad Sega games followed by a slow recovery. None of that.

So while the Playstation was great...everything that was great about it pretty much would have been on Saturn instead, in addition to the awesome games Saturn already had. Final Fantasy 7, the first release of Resident Evil, all that stuff would have been Saturn exclusives instead, and then you'd have just needed two systems that gen...

So I'm going with I wish it hadn't existed.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Really? I think the PS2 was Sony's highest point. PS1 was a great system, and I really like my PS3, but I think the PS2 was their best system.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 might have been the best Sony system so far (and perhaps the greatest home console ever), but the legacy of the PlayStation is one that pretty much stands alone. First home console to ship 100 million units. First CD-based console to experience sustainable successful. The system that knocked Nintendo off its pedestal.

I think the Playstation 2 was less dominant (at least that's how it felt in terms of games released...maybe not for sales, but then I don't care about that). It was also a lot worse hardware than the Gamecube or Xbox, so...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I think the Playstation 2 was less dominant (at least that's how it felt in terms of games released...maybe not for sales, but then I don't care about that). It was also a lot worse hardware than the Gamecube or Xbox, so...[/QUOTE]

Really? Its game library is huge and full of wonderful titles,t dominating the other consoles for that generation. Heck they are still releasing games for it after all these years. The Xbox and GC certainly had great games of their own, but they didn't come near to amount for the PS2.

Also while there was definitely some quality of hardware issues (DVD lens mostly), the hardware was impressive but difficult to program. It was not a lot worse than the other systems. In fact the place where I worked in the past had a project of trying to create a cluster out of PS2s because the emotion engine had so much potential. If only accessing it through Linux on PS2 wouldn't have been so piss poor...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Suikoden for $3? I bought but never finished that...I may do that.

Okay, so semi-dumb questions... I don't currently have a Playstation 3. The Playstation Portable doesn't work with modern encrypted networks. So that leaves that Media Manager program.

Does anyone have complaints with it? Does it install weird drivers or services or anything nasty?

How does activation work through it? Like does the program itself take up one of your 5 activation "slots"? Can you activate/deactivate your PSP through it just like on a PS3?

Regarding the Playstation itself...it was probably the best designed system of that generation (I'd argue maybe the worst of the next generation, and the best of the current portables). No doubt it was a great system, EXCEPT what stinks is it killed Sega. The Saturn was more complicated hardware, but still a great system hardware-wise, and awesome software-wise too. If not for the Playstation, the Saturn probably would have been the number one system that generation...meaning we would have had a successful Saturn 2, and we'd still be playing Sega consoles. No crappy period with bad Sega games followed by a slow recovery. None of that.

So while the Playstation was great...everything that was great about it pretty much would have been on Saturn instead, in addition to the awesome games Saturn already had. Final Fantasy 7, the first release of Resident Evil, all that stuff would have been Saturn exclusives instead, and then you'd have just needed two systems that gen...

So I'm going with I wish it hadn't existed.[/QUOTE]

the first Playstation had overheating problems , and laser issues with the first model, due to heat vents on the bottom of the console, and the laser being on a diagonal track. they fixed the laser track by putting it horizontal but kept the vents on the bottom of the system. i don't think it could be considered the best designed of that gen because of that.

as far as hardware goes, if i remember correctly the Saturn could not handle the 3d games as well as the PS1 and would not have been able to properly render games like ff7 and all the 3d worlds which is why ps1 did so well for its time.

The Saturn was much better with 2d visuals, which is why it was a better system for 2d fighters, and games like Castlevania:SOTN.

[quote name='Saablic']Really? Its game library is huge and full of wonderful titles,t dominating the other consoles for that generation. Heck they are still releasing games for it after all these years. The Xbox and GC certainly had great games of their own, but they didn't come near to amount for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Nothing in gaming history (so far) stands up to the PS2's library of titles.

[quote name='wolfpup']i think the playstation 2 was less dominant (at least that's how it felt in terms of games released...maybe not for sales, but then i don't care about that). It was also a lot worse hardware than the gamecube or xbox, so...[/quote]

lol

Can anyone answer anything about Media Manager for me? :( I really want to get in on those PS1 deals :(

[quote name='Saablic']Really? Its game library is huge and full of wonderful titles,t dominating the other consoles for that generation.[/quote]

It could just be that there weren't many PS2 exclusives I cared about. Off hand all I'm actually remembering is Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2, though I'm sure I'd think of others if I saw my PS2 library. Lots more exclusives on the PS1 it seems like.

Also while there was definitely some quality of hardware issues (DVD lens mostly), the hardware was impressive but difficult to program. It was not a lot worse than the other systems. In fact the place where I worked in the past had a project of trying to create a cluster out of PS2s because the emotion engine had so much potential. If only accessing it through Linux on PS2 wouldn't have been so piss poor...

That's pretty awesome :whistle2:D

[quote name='ctrek3']the first Playstation had overheating problems , and laser issues with the first model, due to heat vents on the bottom of the console, and the laser being on a diagonal track. they fixed the laser track by putting it horizontal but kept the vents on the bottom of the system. i don't think it could be considered the best designed of that gen because of that.[/quote]

As far as I know they fixed that (by the 5000 series?) The PS1 was the last one I bought, and I THINK they'd fixed it by then.

At any rate, by best designed I didn't mean reliability (the launch units were clearly much worse than Saturn or N64). I mean in terms of best designed for making games on it. The Saturn could achieve just as good or better results, but was a lot harder to code for...I mean it had three CPUs and two GPUs...actually that's normal NOW, but... :lol: The N64 was technically more powerful, but used cartridges which were even more expensive back then (seems like DS cartriges are a lot bigger now, and sell for less?). Even in terms of CPU/GPU, the N64 wasn't clear cut better than the Saturn and Playstation IMO, as it had texture issues of it's own, iffy polygon issues, etc.

Between the three the PS1 was probably the most sensible design, is what I was getting at.

as far as hardware goes, if i remember correctly the Saturn could not handle the 3d games as well as the PS1 and would not have been able to properly render games like ff7 and all the 3d worlds which is why ps1 did so well for its time.

The Saturn was harder to code for, but could definitely do as good or better results with 3D. It really depended on the developer, how much they could dig into it, since it's relying on 3 CPUs and 2 GPUs...the Playstation was a lot easier to code for.

There's no question at all Final Fantasy 7 could have been done on Saturn...I mean there's nothing there that would have been unusual for it. My point with that is if the PS1 didn't exist, Final Fantasy 7 would have been a Saturn exclusive instead. Same for virtually all PS1 exclusives.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. Nothing in gaming history (so far) stands up to the PS2's library of titles.[/QUOTE]

Then why am I only thinking of two exclusives I cared about? I mean...okay, there was a Pilot Wings style game that was pretty cool. That Gradius Collection was neat, but it doesn't feel like it had all that many exclusives in comparison to the Playstation 1. There just used to be more exclusives I think.

[quote name='ssjmichael']lol[/QUOTE]

It's funny because...?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Then why am I only thinking of two exclusives I cared about? I mean...okay, there was a Pilot Wings style game that was pretty cool. That Gradius Collection was neat, but it doesn't feel like it had all that many exclusives in comparison to the Playstation 1. There just used to be more exclusives I think.

[/QUOTE]

There are a bunch if you think about it for a little bit. Some of them ended up being only exclusive for a couple of years like Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear 2 but you still have Metal Gear 3, God of War 1&2, Devil May Cry games, Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud Games, Disgaea games, Persona games, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak games and Rachet and Clank games.

Those are just games off the top of my head. There are tons more if I really wanted to get into it. It really was a very strong library.

[quote name='Saablic']There are a bunch if you think about it for a little bit. Some of them ended up being only exclusive for a couple of years like Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear 2 but you still have Metal Gear 3, God of War 1&2, Devil May Cry games, Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud Games, Disgaea games, Persona games, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak games and Rachet and Clank games.

Those are just games off the top of my head. There are tons more if I really wanted to get into it. It really was a very strong library.[/QUOTE]
Gran Turismo 3 & 4, Sly Cooper 1, 2, and 3, Gitaroo Man, Rez, Twisted Metal, Rogue Galaxy.

Too me, PS2 was/is one of the best systems. Gamecube was good, Xbox was just...LOL. I guess it had the Halo and SW: KotOR series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back