Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruh roh...my brand new display has now experienced the black flashing screen twice in the last 2 hours. Should I contact Sony?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report that this is my 48 hours of usage.. so far, noticed to 2 blank blinks.. where the screen will go dark with red lights on. then.. 5 secs later, it came back online.

Also, been checking with my PC on HDMI port 2.. the text is awful to read..
much worst than my older 22" LCD monitor, using 1920x1080. Only readable if I lower the resolution to 1280x768 but the text looks bigger now and not much space to work with on the desktop.

I think I'm going to check out the Samsung 24" HDTV monitor from Sams and try to compare with this one... that's only $198 this week.

does this come with uncharted 3? I think they had a deal with a bunch of games before like killzone 3 and such. dont remember though. This will make it a better deal although i just cant picture myself using a tv smaller then 32 in.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']does this come with uncharted 3? I think they had a deal with a bunch of games before like killzone 3 and such. dont remember though. This will make it a better deal although i just cant picture myself using a tv smaller then 32 in.[/QUOTE]

No uncharted 3. The tv has an amazing picture, especially in 3d

There is only one pair of 3D glasses that comes in the box.

Does anyone know if one can get the cheaper 'passive' 3d glasses to work on this or must this be another 'active' sony 3d glasses?

[quote name='cagfansub']There is only one pair of 3D glasses that comes in the box.

Does anyone know if one can get the cheaper 'passive' 3d glasses to work on this or must this be another 'active' sony 3d glasses?[/QUOTE]

Trust me active is a lot better, you retain all of the resolution while using 3d unlike passive which divides the resolutions, half for each eye.

On the other hand, does anyone know the best configuration for the tv to play normal games with 3D off? i.e. brightness, picture, etc.

so this may be a dumb question but can all games be played in 3d? i know some games are made in 3d (uncharted 3, killzone 3, wipeout)

but can other games be played in a 3d mode?

also same question but can i play 360 games in 3d?
i know some games like batman and assassins creed support it but can it be applied to all?

like if i want to play xbla games in 3d?

[quote name='violentfox']so this may be a dumb question but can all games be played in 3d? i know some games are made in 3d (uncharted 3, killzone 3, wipeout)

i know some games like batman and assassins creed support it but c@ be be applied to all?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by the first question. I mean, sure, I suppose you can play them in 3D mode but you won't see anything in 3D if the game doesn't support it.

I can answer the second part, though - yes, you can play 3D-compatible 360 games on it (in 3D). The first thing my son wanted to do was play Halo CE Anniversary in 3D so that's what we did right out of the box.

BTW, my coffin should arrive in a few days - will let you guys know the turnaround for the inevitable warranty call most of you will have to make ;).

[quote name='violentfox']so this may be a dumb question but can all games be played in 3d? i know some games are made in 3d (uncharted 3, killzone 3, wipeout)

i know some games like batman and assassins creed support it but can it be applied to all?

like if i want to play xbla games in 3d?[/QUOTE]

I think it specifies it in front of the game case if its playable in 3D or not. In the case of the Uncharted series, 1 and 2 does not have the "3D compatible label" while 3 does. So i guess only the games with those labels are playable in 3D.

Here's a list: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-ps3-updated-list-of-all-3d-games-and-movies/

So I was luckily able to find one in stock at a local best Buy which i used to exchange the one I had that had dust stuck under the screen.

We are driving out to Vegas tonight for EVO this weekend, and I am taking the display with us, I am going to wait to open it until we get there. I hope it is perfect and I hope it isnt worse than my first one -_-

basically my question is this:

does the tv convert 2d content to 3d like some televisions do?

if not, the games have to be certified 3d to be played in 3d correct?

[quote name='violentfox']basically my question is this:

does the tv convert 2d content to 3d like some televisions do?

if not, the games have to be certified 3d to be played in 3d correct?[/QUOTE]

No this tv will not convert 2d content into 3d, and yes the games need to be certified 3D to play them in that mode.

Bought two to use as monitors as I'm building a new rig...

...and my god this screen is beautiful. Absolutely amazing. Bought the warranties for peace of mind, but for the price of one IPS I got two of these. Obviously I understand the risk, here's hoping I get lucky ones.

[quote name='io']BTW, my coffin should arrive in a few days - will let you guys know the turnaround for the inevitable warranty call most of you will have to make ;).[/QUOTE]

This I'd like to know as a future reference. Keep us posted and good luck to you.

[quote name='crypto186']I bought one already and planning to get a second from BB.[/QUOTE]

I'm sooo tempted to do the same. Hell, tempted for three actually. The one we already picked up replaced the Mrs. crap non-HD 20" flat panel in the bedroom. I think I'd be quite happy with one of these for my PS3 once I get my "office" back together when I'd be sitting closer to it, as opposed to the living room I hang out in now, where it would be way too small. And maybe a third one for the kid's PS3, since he now upgraded to the Mrs. crap non-HD 20" flat panel. #-o

When this thing works, its beautiful... if I go in expecting, and possibly hoping for :whistle2:s, the black screen problem quickly just to get the RMA to Sony done and over with, it very well may be worth it. :pray:

[quote name='io']BTW, my coffin should arrive in a few days - will let you guys know the turnaround for the inevitable warranty call most of you will have to make ;).[/QUOTE]

Yes, please keep us updated. Mrs. said ours has done the black screen once in the week or so we've had it, and it would be nice to see how a current experience goes for the inevitable. Might also help me decide if I pick up the 2nd or third one :cool:

[quote name='io']I'm not sure what you mean by the first question. I mean, sure, I suppose you can play them in 3D mode but you won't see anything in 3D if the game doesn't support it.

I can answer the second part, though - yes, you can play 3D-compatible 360 games on it (in 3D). The first thing my son wanted to do was play Halo CE Anniversary in 3D so that's what we did right out of the box.

BTW, my coffin should arrive in a few days - will let you guys know the turnaround for the inevitable warranty call most of you will have to make ;).[/QUOTE]

wait io what happened to the tv? ive heard peeps in here talking about this having a high defective rate. I got some giftcards to burn so kinda interested to know if its gonna breakdown on me

[quote name='bringerofdeath']wait io what happened to the tv? ive heard peeps in here talking about this having a high defective rate. I got some giftcards to burn so kinda interested to know if its gonna breakdown on me[/QUOTE]
http://community.us.playstation.com...-Black-Screen/td-p/36454018?start=30&tstart=0

I'm chancing it with mine. This thing is such a fun little toy that I'm considering buying a second as a backup for the inevitable demise of mine. My Best Buy had quite a few and there seem to be a lot in the area, so hopefully they'll clearance them off eventually.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']wait io what happened to the tv? ive heard peeps in here talking about this having a high defective rate. I got some giftcards to burn so kinda interested to know if its gonna breakdown on me[/QUOTE]

It just stopped working after a month and a half. My boys used it almost daily and then the other day it simply wouldn't turn on. By the way, the "RROD" for this thing is flashing red lights (under the front of the monitor). So if you see that it is dead. The manual does not mention this - I only found out after reading through tons of forum posts (probably at the place simmias linked).

Where can I contact Sony to get an RMA for the display? Can't find it on sony.com or playstation.com. I've had my display for about a week and my screen kept flickering while I was watching a stream. I thought it might be just be flash because the new version keeps crashing on me but then the screen went black for about 2 seconds and came back on while I was watching a movie on WMP. After my PS3 YLOD'd on me multiple times, I'm extremely paranoid when it comes to Sony products. Honestly they're about to lose me as a customer for good if another product of theirs breaks down on me.

Hi guys, I wanted to report after 72 hours of use.. I got 4 more times of black screen of death so far. Basically, it gone dark.. then a few secs later, it comes back. I think whatever that is defective inside the system.. it is starting to get worse.

In the week or so I've had mine, I had the black screen a few times. But, in the past 3 days (knock on wood) I haven't had it at all. I'm using mine as a PC monitor, so it's on quite a bit too.

I've read there quite a few pages here and from the main Playstation forum thread regarding this monitor, but I'm still not quite sure of this: Has the problem with the black screen been fixed on replacement screens?

Just bought the screen and I'm going to run it nonstop to see if I get the problem and RMA it if doing so means I will get a fixed screen.

Wow. Sounds like it is just a matter of time before any of them go out then. So I should use sony's warranty instead of my best buy one right, so the problem can be fixed? I don't understand why they didn't just recall the damn thing.

[quote name='samusaran226']Where can I contact Sony to get an RMA for the display?[/QUOTE]

There is a number in the manual under the "Limited Warranty" section. And by "manual" I mean that little fold-out piece of paper.

1-800-345-7669

Note that they will ask you for your PS3 serial number when doing the RMA. I didn't have it handy and they said that was OK. I did have the SN for the display of course, so make sure you have that before calling.

[quote name='jling84']I've read there quite a few pages here and from the main Playstation forum thread regarding this monitor, but I'm still not quite sure of this: Has the problem with the black screen been fixed on replacement screens?

Just bought the screen and I'm going to run it nonstop to see if I get the problem and RMA it if doing so means I will get a fixed screen.[/QUOTE]

Just note that I had to run mine for a while (a few hours each day for 1 1/2 months) before mine failed. I never had the flickering/temporary black screen thing either. Mine worked perfectly until it wouldn't turn on one day.

Have a couple of these and one only seems to black out when listening to MP3s. I've never had it blackout during a game or casual surfing oddly enough.

It makes me think that it's an HDMI secure connection problem at least in my case.

I've been using mine several hours a day to watch netflix while I play Final Fantasy XI. Haven't experienced any quirks yet other than the fact that I can see myself while i'm on the computer -.-

I had the display for about a week now and have used it for only a few hours. I already got the black screen happen to me about 3 times. It's definitely annoying.

[quote name='io']There is a number in the manual under the "Limited Warranty" section. And by "manual" I mean that little fold-out piece of paper.

1-800-345-7669

Note that they will ask you for your PS3 serial number when doing the RMA. I didn't have it handy and they said that was OK. I did have the SN for the display of course, so make sure you have that before calling.

[/QUOTE]

I don't even own a PS3 yet. :cry:

This may have been mentioned but I read somewhere that the issue is a poorly designed power supply.

I would love to have this but am not interested in crossing my fingers every time I turn it on.

after reading through your guys issues i think im gonna hold on getting this. Maybe it will drop more but im doubtful. I think ill just wait until a reg 3d tv 40in or more goes on sale later on the year

[quote name='crypto186']risk=reward.

I am enjoying 2 of these tvs! 3D is spectacular![/QUOTE]

Wow, you're a shoddy manufacturer's wet dream.

TVs have tuners. This one, no.

[quote name='io']There is a number in the manual under the "Limited Warranty" section. And by "manual" I mean that little fold-out piece of paper.

1-800-345-7669

Just note that I had to run mine for a while (a few hours each day for 1 1/2 months) before mine failed. I never had the flickering/temporary black screen thing either. Mine worked perfectly until it wouldn't turn on one day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Haven't had the flicker at all (at least not while I was looking at the display) since I posted about it on here. Hopefully it was just a one day random occurrence. The same thing was happening to my old monitor a bit frequently for about a week but then it just stopped for good. Maybe it was my video card or something. I dunno, I'm thinking too much about it now. So the warranty on these things is a full year right? I'll feel a little better knowing I have at least a year to get this repair by Sony when it breaks down.

[quote name='thetruth1983']Newegg has price matched with no tax in some states (also free shipping)!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314[/QUOTE]

Damn, could've gotten it for no tax. Is it worth the hassle to purchase from Newegg and return to BestBuy? Lol.

[quote name='samusaran226']Damn, could've gotten it for no tax. Is it worth the hassle to purchase from Newegg and return to BestBuy? Lol.[/QUOTE]

The ease of returning it to Best Buy carries a lot of weight with this product - particularly if you're Premier Silver and have 60 days. I'd say "exchanging" instead of "returning" but it sounds like the exchange is as likely to have the issue as the original.

Newegg's policy is replacement only.

[quote name='sp00ge']In the week or so I've had mine, I had the black screen a few times. But, in the past 3 days (knock on wood) I haven't had it at all. I'm using mine as a PC monitor, so it's on quite a bit too.[/QUOTE]

As a PC monitor, were you able to get it to display 1920x1080 mode occupying the whole screen? Were the text clear to you?

When I did that (1920x1080), I still get the black bars on top and side. The text looks blurry on mine.

[quote name='Nephilim']I would love to have this but am not interested in crossing my fingers every time I turn it on.[/QUOTE]

This. I was in the market for a new monitor and was looking into this. But I decided that the failure rate and dealing with returns and warranty claims was not worth my $200. So I ended up just getting the ASUS MLG monitor (from last year) from Amazon using credit.

[quote name='cagfansub']As a PC monitor, were you able to get it to display 1920x1080 mode occupying the whole screen? Were the text clear to you?

When I did that (1920x1080), I still get the black bars on top and side. The text looks blurry on mine.[/QUOTE]

I was going to test tonight w/ my PC as I've only been able to test it using ps3, 360 and TV. All of those looked great but I'm really curious as to how the PC stuff looks. Everything I've read from other sources said to fix bad text, just lower sharpness to 0 and then it looks fine.

I did see other reports of people claiming 1920x1080 issues and they claimed changing video cards resolved that. Does your vid card have on-board HDMI or you running an adapter / cable conversion? I'm using an old 9800GT and looking to test that tonight.

Proper 1920x1080 resolution on PC w/ crisp text is what's standing between me keeping or returning it. I have no desire to keep it if it'll fail as a monitor. I mainly got it because I had a ton of BB credit to use and as everyone knows, buying anything NOT on sale at BB is simply paying more than newegg or amazon's regular price (not even considering tax)

[quote name='cagfansub']As a PC monitor, were you able to get it to display 1920x1080 mode occupying the whole screen? Were the text clear to you?

When I did that (1920x1080), I still get the black bars on top and side. The text looks blurry on mine.[/QUOTE]

I have mine at 1920x1080 and it's full screen. I am also running it dual screen, with my HP 2009m, but I don't think that would make a difference.

The text is very clear, except for red'ish fonts on dark backgrounds, which tend to be a bit blurred, although not unreadable. Just enough to be annoying.

A few pics in stunning (crappy) iPhone 4 quality!

Up close:

Shot to show full screen:

[quote name='gantt']The ease of returning it to Best Buy carries a lot of weight with this product - particularly if you're Premier Silver and have 60 days. I'd say "exchanging" instead of "returning" but it sounds like the exchange is as likely to have the issue as the original.

Newegg's policy is replacement only.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but pretty much every Best Buy around me has already sold out of these things. And I've already traded in the damn game so I probably wouldn't even be able to return it at this point. Oh well, I'll just hope that I have no more issues with the display. I haven't seen the screen flicker at all the last few days and it's on for a lot of the day since I use it as a PC monitor.

[quote name='KryllFood']I was going to test tonight w/ my PC as I've only been able to test it using ps3, 360 and TV. All of those looked great but I'm really curious as to how the PC stuff looks. Everything I've read from other sources said to fix bad text, just lower sharpness to 0 and then it looks fine.

I did see other reports of people claiming 1920x1080 issues and they claimed changing video cards resolved that. Does your vid card have on-board HDMI or you running an adapter / cable conversion? I'm using an old 9800GT and looking to test that tonight.

Proper 1920x1080 resolution on PC w/ crisp text is what's standing between me keeping or returning it. I have no desire to keep it if it'll fail as a monitor. I mainly got it because I had a ton of BB credit to use and as everyone knows, buying anything NOT on sale at BB is simply paying more than newegg or amazon's regular price (not even considering tax)[/QUOTE]

I'm using it with an HDMI to DVI on I believe an old Nvidia Geforce (forget which one, on my laptop now so I can't check). Have the resolution on my PC set to 1080p and the text looks perfectly fine. Didn't have to do anything with the sharpness.

Anyone have any tips on toning down how much of a reflection this thing casts though? When I first got the display, the brightness seemed to be so high that I didn't notice a reflection at first but now that I've lowered the brightness it gets annoying at times, especially on sites like this with dark backgrounds.

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']This. I was in the market for a new monitor and was looking into this. But I decided that the failure rate and dealing with returns and warranty claims was not worth my $200. So I ended up just getting the ASUS MLG monitor (from last year) from Amazon using credit.[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you want to use it with the PC and possible HDTV.. check out the
Samsung 24" T24B350 (price $199).. it has a ATSC TV Tuner as well but unfortunately no 3D feature.

[quote name='samusaran226']That's true, but pretty much every Best Buy around me has already sold out of these things. And I've already traded in the damn game so I probably wouldn't even be able to return it at this point. Oh well, I'll just hope that I have no more issues with the display. I haven't seen the screen flicker at all the last few days and it's on for a lot of the day since I use it as a PC monitor.

I'm using it with an HDMI to DVI on I believe an old Nvidia Geforce (forget which one, on my laptop now so I can't check). Have the resolution on my PC set to 1080p and the text looks perfectly fine. Didn't have to do anything with the sharpness.

Anyone have any tips on toning down how much of a reflection this thing casts though? When I first got the display, the brightness seemed to be so high that I didn't notice a reflection at first but now that I've lowered the brightness it gets annoying at times, especially on sites like this with dark backgrounds.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too.. I've tried lowering down the brightness.. 'coz it was hurting my eyes.. now the reflection on the screen seems pretty annoying.

When I tested this on my PC, I have to use DVI-to-HDMI. I wish this has a PC VGA input. When compared to the Samsung T24B350 LED monitor, the text on the Samsung monitor is much better and clearer.

[quote name='cagfansub']I noticed that too.. I've tried lowering down the brightness.. 'coz it was hurting my eyes.. now the reflection on the screen seems pretty annoying.

When I tested this on my PC, I have to use DVI-to-HDMI. I wish this has a PC VGA input. When compared to the Samsung T24B350 LED monitor, the text on the Samsung monitor is much better and clearer.[/QUOTE]

Have you adjusted sharpness? It's way too sharp out of the box, ends up artifacting text when used as a PC monitor.

bread's done
Back