Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kart007k']you are lucky mine died exactly after 31 days. i just feel bad for all the idiots who jumped on this scam TV deal.[/QUOTE]

Nice job including yourself in the "idiot" column, considering yours died first.

Just picked up one of these displays at best buy along with a 4 year warranty for $30. The picture quality is phenomenal and Killzone 3 looks absolutely nuts in 3D. I'm hoping that my string of luck with Sony products holds true for this device. I have a 40GB PS3 fat I bought at launch (expanded the HD to 500GB) and it has never given me a single issue despite many crapping out due to YLOD. Even if the display does give out however the warranty gives some peace of mind.

Those of you looking for a small display should jump on this at the $199 price point since its a steal.

Ok, I've returned mine to BestBuy. I think I'm going to wait a few days to get another one so that the 30 days clock can reset. I thinking this time, should I get the ext. warranty (2 yrs - $20, 4 yrs - $30) ? The problem is if BestBuy only allows you to return the same one with the serial number.. their in stock ones aren't the ones that have the defect fixed. If I return to Sony, get their RMA and if Sony send me a new one, then the ext. warranty from Best Buy wouldn't be valid anymore because the serial number has changed, would it?

[quote name='Argento28']I actually just remapped my generic cable box DVR remote to work with it. The code is just the standard Sony 0000.[/QUOTE]

I got my Dish Network remote (TV button) to work with it but it is only able to turn off/on, Volume up/down, Input and Menu and Enter. The The only bad thing is, the arrows keys (up/down/left/right) can't work when you're in the Menu option. Tried various Sony TV codes as well from the manual but none of them can control the menu navigation using the arrows keys.

Wondering for those of you who were able to get the Universal remote to work, does the arrows keys (while in Menu option) work for you?

[quote name='KryllFood']I just tried it in side-by-side mode with Trine 2 on the PC @ 720p60 (I didn't bother to try 1080p) and it was pretty sweet. The resolution sucked (which was going to be a given at the lower res + sbs) but I enjoyed seeing 3D on a PC game w/o any monitor or nvidia hacks.[/QUOTE]

From my experience with the display, it seems that 1080p works for SBS 3D at 60hz as well, so you might want to give that a try next time.

[quote name='anthonyd46']im assuming you can't buy this 4 year warranty thing online?[/QUOTE]

It will show up as an option in your BB cart when you start going thru to purchase it. Last I saw it tho, it was $10 more expensive online.

Just set this up with a PC. For $199, it looks pretty decent. The only config change I made was changing to the "Cinema" preset. No dead pixels. Black levels look pretty nice and colors are good. It is glossy, as expected. Speakers are nothing to write home about, but I just use my 5.1 setup instead. Overall, seems to be running well at 1080p via HDMI.

Shows up in the Catalyst Control Center as an SCEI Montor: max res 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. Haven't tried it with any 3D content yet.

[quote name='cagfansub']Ok, I've returned mine to BestBuy. I think I'm going to wait a few days to get another one so that the 30 days clock can reset. I thinking this time, should I get the ext. warranty (2 yrs - $20, 4 yrs - $30) ? The problem is if BestBuy only allows you to return the same one with the serial number.. their in stock ones aren't the ones that have the defect fixed. If I return to Sony, get their RMA and if Sony send me a new one, then the ext. warranty from Best Buy wouldn't be valid anymore because the serial number has changed, would it?[/QUOTE]

I tried answering this a few days ago:

"I specifically asked a couple different CSRs in regards to the warranty still being in effect if I sent it in to Sony, because that is exactly what I plan on doing. I was told that the warranties are based on sku, not serial number. One of the CSRs went as far to say that if I bought 3 of an item, but only ONE warranty, the warranty could be used on any one of said item.

Someone else please feel free to double check with their local CSR, because it would certainly be nice to hear that it is the policy company wide, vs some CSRs just BSin' me :) "

But please, someone please still feel free to double check! Lol

I think I experience my first black out playing Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet on PC, had two playstation displays in duplicate mode and the older one blacked out for a moment and of course took the second one with it for a smaller moment. I have 2 of these I've left on for like 48 hours. I'm wondering if there is any log file for monitor disconnects on PC or some program that would show me how many times this happens in a day?

Switched the PC's DVI HDMI and PS3's around different ways, the older one definitely looks different on default settings. Maybe sony found a cheaper means to manufacture these.

[quote name='godsmack13']It will show up as an option in your BB cart when you start going thru to purchase it. Last I saw it tho, it was $10 more expensive online.[/QUOTE]

that sucks but its almost 20 miles away to go to best buy so i guess the $10 would compensate to the gas if thats the case where is it though i add to cart i sign in then it just goes to the payment info page and submit order is on the bottom nothing with the warranty

[quote name='Argento28']Nice job including yourself in the "idiot" column, considering yours died first.[/QUOTE]

Three weeks = 24 days < 31 days no?

[quote name='slugboss']An update from my last post on pg 31, the new monitor I have has several differences compared to the one I got before the restock. I have them setting right next to eachother now.

3. The configuration is exactly the same in the picture settings on both, on standard with cool temperature. Except the colors are much different, I plugged 2 different ps3s through hdmi with also the same display settings in the XMB and was looking at 1080p photos. The one I got before restock is much more vivid or pink toned. I thought it had better colors at first, but looking at some of the web pages in a dual monitor display I set up with a 5770, the whites are all pinkish and its annoying. The new display may be tinted too green though. If this proves one thing it is that adjusting your display according to some review could yield completely different results.

I think I'll keep the new display for the lack of dead pixels, weird that the colors seem more vivid on the other though. I've tried to get the new display to look identical messing about with all the picture settings, but havn't had much luck yet. The other always looks a little richer color. Although, looking at these pinkish white web pages, maybe I've been trying to duplicate wrong colors. I'll still mess about for a few days, probably will look for something that tested contrast.[/QUOTE]

I had 2 of them at one point and noticed differences too. The easiest thing to compare was brightness. Default brightness at 50 was different, and were only the same when I adjusted one -5 lower. I also thought there were subtle differences in vividness and overall picture quality, but after staring at them for so long it got too hard to tell if it was just in my head.

Been thinking of getting one of these, but I just cant justify paying $50+ extra for a game and 3D I dont want. It does have composite, which would be useful if I ever wanted to use my Wii again. Anyways, I'll stick with my 25" lcd for now.

Going on three weeks now, no problems. Watching my first 3D movie and it's amazing. Hoping I got a good one. Any idea what the failure rate might be? Close to 100% like the original Xbox 360? Hope not.

Anyone here able to use this with a PC with the GeForce GTX 550i and ablet get 1920x1080 in full screen mode or in 3D?

[quote name='cagfansub']Anyone here able to use this with a PC with the GeForce GTX 550i and ablet get 1920x1080 in full screen mode or in 3D?[/QUOTE]
not at 60HZ its a bandwidth issue of hdmi1.4 you can however get it 24hz

[quote name='Animefalcon']not at 60HZ its a bandwidth issue of hdmi1.4 you can however get it 24hz[/QUOTE]

So, have to reduce this to 24hz for full 1080p (1920x1080) display?

[quote name='anthonyd46']that sucks but its almost 20 miles away to go to best buy so i guess the $10 would compensate to the gas if thats the case where is it though i add to cart i sign in then it just goes to the payment info page and submit order is on the bottom nothing with the warranty[/QUOTE]

My apologies, just double checked, it is actually on the product page, right hand side under the add to cart button. Looks like the fixed the price for it tho, $20 for 2 yrs, $30 for 4 yrs :)

[quote name='Kendro']Three weeks = 24 days < 31 days no?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that was a tongue-in-cheek Beatles reference or not, but there's certainly not eight days a week. ;)

[quote name='cagfansub']So, have to reduce this to 24hz for full 1080p (1920x1080) display?[/QUOTE]
if u want the 3d effect yes

just an update the 4 year thing is now showing on the page for best buy and it is 29.99 and also free shipping so pretty good since my best buy is 20 miles away didn't pay anything extra either we will see who this turns out

[quote name='cagfansub']Anyone here able to use this with a PC with the GeForce GTX 550i and ablet get 1920x1080 in full screen mode or in 3D?[/QUOTE]

Technically, you could do a manual 3D mode, such as side by side 3D. This would give you 960x1080 resolution at 60 Hz that looks pretty good.

I've tried this on Trine 2 with a relatively old Radeon card. Just select 1920x1080 resolution at 60 Hz with side-by-side 3D in Trine 2 setup. Then, press the 3D mode button on the TV to select side-by-side.

[quote name='Kolgar']Going on three weeks now, no problems. Watching my first 3D movie and it's amazing. Hoping I got a good one. Any idea what the failure rate might be? Close to 100% like the original Xbox 360? Hope not.[/QUOTE]

Which 3D movie is amazing on it?

Watched the "Hugo" demo in BB yesterday (on a 3D HDTV, not this display) and it was underwhelming, mostly looking like 2D set in two discrete planes.

Are you experiencing problems doing standard 2D 1920x1080 full screen? Or just with 3D.

As per others, I can also verify that 3D 1080p60 works in SBS w/ Trine 2. It looks cool because it looks like a "pop-up story book" but it isn't exactly the "HOLY CRAP MUST HAVE" of 3D.

I've had mine for about two weeks now and it is still going strong. The only issue I've noticed is that it takes significant time to "warm up". If I turn it on and immediately do things involving quick-moving blacks, I get heavy heavy dark red ghosting. If it warms up for 10-20mins, the ghosting reduces significantly.

I first noticed during the steam sale, scrolling the store up and down after I had just turned it on vs having had it on for a while. After 10-20mins, scrolling looks normal.

Considering people's problems, I've still been thinking about returning it but I already traded in motorstorm. I'm not sure if I should first try to return it w/o motorstorm or just buy it on ebay.

Considering people's problems, I've still been thinking about returning it but I already traded in motorstorm. I'm not sure if I should first try to return it w/o motorstorm or just buy it on ebay.

Re: your question. I would think they'd reject it w/o Motorstorm as they do have someone go over the contents of most electronic returns.

I returned mine yesterday unopened. Too much potential hassle plus it was $200 I didn't need to spend. It's at the Santana Row store if anyone is looking for one.

[quote name='KryllFood']

Considering people's problems, I've still been thinking about returning it but I already traded in motorstorm. I'm not sure if I should first try to return it w/o motorstorm or just buy it on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Oh silly me... you mean steal it right? Just so everyone knows what your about.

[quote name='exceed19']Oh silly me... you mean steal it right? Just so everyone knows what your about.[/QUOTE]

check your hypocritical self-righteousness at the door. Returning something missing a component for being defective isn't stealing. I never claimed I was going to reseal it and say I never used it. Before you jump to conclusions and make a fool of yourself, you should know what you're talking about first.

Even if I did decide to return it for full refund, it's still not my problem if I traded in a bundled item prior to finding out there was a countdown to defect. In the case where a manufacturer goes out of their way to mass-produce a faulty product and attempt to sell as many as they could, I consider THEM the thieves.

Finally caved in and bought this bad boy yesterday with 2 year warranty. I'm hoping for the best but you never know.........

[quote name='KryllFood']check your hypocritical self-righteousness at the door. Returning something missing a component for being defective isn't stealing. I never claimed I was going to reseal it and say I never used it. Before you jump to conclusions and make a fool of yourself, you should know what you're talking about first.

Even if I did decide to return it for full refund, it's still not my problem if I traded in a bundled item prior to finding out there was a countdown to defect. In the case where a manufacturer goes out of their way to mass-produce a faulty product and attempt to sell as many as they could, I consider THEM the thieves.[/QUOTE]

Hey dumbf*ck. YOU said you might return it WITHOUT the game. That means you are knowingly trying to defraud a store ie: THEFT. You wont see me posting anywhere of "how can I return an item, missing stuff that its supposed to be returned with".

Also, your poor usage of "hypocritical" is a joke. Where do you see me promoting doing whats right, then doing whats wrong???? You need to play the "definition" game with yourself and figure out how words are used.

This isnt thiefassgamer.com -- so CHECK YOURSELF at the door.. dick.

You are correct where if you took it back (and included everything it comes with, and NOT steal the game) within the return period because you found out there are a bunch of defective units, and you dont want to run the chance of yours being defective. I am all for that. I wouldnt want to get stuck with a 3d paper weight.

But what you said is you "didnt know if you were going to return it with all contents".. Which, again - I dont care how stupid you are - you have to understand that KEEPING something you didnt pay for is STEALING, bundled item or not.

Do we need to take a poll for you to realize how moronic your statements are?

Hypothetical situation - You buy a brand new washer, and it "comes" with a free dryer. You then return the washer, and keep the bundled dryer. Did you steal the dryer? Or did the company give it to you because they like you? It could be because your mom gave a backroom BJ to the clerk, but I can assure you companies are not around to give you free items. Get it yet?? Or do you need more examples involving your sister?

[quote name='exceed19']hey dumbf*ck. You said you might return it without the game. That means you are knowingly trying to defraud a store ie: Theft. You wont see me posting anywhere of "how can i return an item, missing stuff that its supposed to be returned with".

Also, your poor usage of "hypocritical" is a joke. Where do you see me promoting doing whats right, then doing whats wrong???? You need to play the "definition" game with yourself and figure out how words are used.

This isnt thiefassgamer.com -- so check yourself at the door.. Dick.

You are correct where if you took it back (and included everything it comes with, and not steal the game) within the return period because you found out there are a bunch of defective units, and you dont want to run the chance of yours being defective. I am all for that. I wouldnt want to get stuck with a 3d paper weight.

But what you said is you "didnt know if you were going to return it with all contents".. Which, again - i dont care how stupid you are - you have to understand that keeping something you didnt pay for is stealing, bundled item or not.

Do we need to take a poll for you to realize how moronic your statements are?

Hypothetical situation - you buy a brand new washer, and it "comes" with a free dryer. You then return the washer, and keep the bundled dryer. Did you steal the dryer? Or did the company give it to you because they like you? It could be because your mom gave a backroom bj to the clerk, but i can assure you companies are not around to give you free items. Get it yet?? Or do you need more examples involving your sister?[/quote]

+1

When I took mine back for an exchange, I had already traded in the game. I told this to the clerk as he was checking it and even offered to replace the game by buying it. I was told not to worry about it, and they didn't even take the copy out of the new one they exchanged it for. Maybe I just got a cool clerk. I had completely returned the TV yesterday due to the same breaking issues. The person didn't even check the TV for problems, he just took my word for it.

^^ you brought it to their attention, so thats different - atleast they had a chance to deny you based upon knowledge of the missing contents, but made the exception. They chose to accept your item as it was, and yeah you got a cool clerk. Most would not take the item back missing a significant "value" portion of the bundle. You also exchanged it for another unit, and not your money back w/ free items. In your case, they could of just kept the game to make it even-steven.

Another example - you get a $20 gift card from toys r us, with the purchase of a $60 game . You return the game. Can you keep the gift card? Simple answer - NO. it is on the receipt. They will adjust the price of the returned game, and give you $20 LESS than what you paid in cash for the game.

[quote name='exceed19']TL;DR---
Hypothetical situation - You buy a brand new washer, and it "comes" with a free dryer. You then return the washer, and keep the bundled dryer. Did you steal the dryer? Or did the company give it to you because they like you? It could be because your mom gave a backroom BJ to the clerk, but I can assure you companies are not around to give you free items. Get it yet?? Or do you need more examples involving your sister?[/QUOTE]

Whoa...guy...reading comprehension. Again, I never said I was trying to return it without anything. Yet again you are throwing around demeaning remarks and a poorly paraphrased version of what I said to fit your argument. What I was going to do was exactly what the other guy said. "Hey, I already traded in motorstorm, will you still accept the return?"

I never said I was going to try and sneak it past them. I was only commenting on whether or not I'd buy it back from eBay before seeing what they advised. It makes my life a lot easier w/o going through that hassle.

Since you like "hypothetical" examples...how's this one?

I go to return it without Motorstorm and say "hey, I already traded in Motorstorm before I knew of the defective rate." And they say, "no big deal, we'll just deduct the trade value from your refund." Great...problem solved. I guess your expert detective abilities of internet morality policing couldn't possibly consider that situation. golf clap.

I reiterate, self-righteous hypocrisy...Before you fly off the handle on a moral high-ground that isn't even accurate, you should first consider what others actually had in mind. I use the word hypocrisy because that's exactly what it is. I say it because unless you are the virgin mary, you are no one to be calling out someone else's morality without any proof of what was actually done.

I'd also like to mention while we're going off such extreme stances of morality, I have kept to defending my point like an adult. I guess demeaning others and persecuting them off false information ranks somewhere between thief and holy warrior on your morality scale.

[quote name='gantt']Which 3D movie is amazing on it?

Watched the "Hugo" demo in BB yesterday (on a 3D HDTV, not this display) and it was underwhelming, mostly looking like 2D set in two discrete planes.[/QUOTE]

Kung Fu Panda 2 and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. AWESOME in 3D. fuck this 3D Display TV. I got a 47" LG Cinema 3D TV for $800 last Black Friday :)

[quote name='KryllFood']Whoa...guy...reading comprehension. Again, I never said I was trying to return it without anything. Yet again you are throwing around demeaning remarks and a poorly paraphrased version of what I said to fit your argument. What I was going to do was exactly what the other guy said. "Hey, I already traded in motorstorm, will you still accept the return?"

I never said I was going to try and sneak it past them. I was only commenting on whether or not I'd buy it back from eBay before seeing what they advised. It makes my life a lot easier w/o going through that hassle.

I go to return it without Motorstorm and say "hey, I already traded in Motorstorm before I knew of the defective rate." And they say, "no big deal, we'll just deduct the trade value from your refund." Great...problem solved. I guess your expert detective abilities of internet morality policing couldn't possibly consider that situation. golf clap.

I reiterate, self-righteous hypocrisy...Before you fly off the handle on a moral high-ground that isn't even accurate, you should first consider what others actually had in mind. I use the word hypocrisy because that's exactly what it is. I say it because unless you are the virgin mary, you are no one to be calling out someone else's morality without any proof of what was actually done.

I'd also like to mention while we're going off such extreme stances of morality, I have kept to defending my point like an adult. I guess demeaning others and persecuting them off false information ranks somewhere between thief and holy warrior on your morality scale.[/QUOTE]

no matter how we slice it. returning an item with pieces of it missing is a form of theft unless the item came without those items and that is why you are returning it. so your argument fails.

the other exception is if the company lets you do it after you ask them upfront. whether you did this or not? who knows? its the internet 98% of what is said on internet forums is largely crap.

either way this has been lulz worthy

[quote name='KryllFood']
Considering people's problems, I've still been thinking about returning it but I already traded in motorstorm. I'm not sure if I should first try to return it w/o motorstorm or just buy it on ebay.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='exceed19']Oh silly me... you mean steal it right? Just so everyone knows what your about.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KryllFood']check your hypocritical self-righteousness at the door. Returning something missing a component for being defective isn't stealing. I never claimed I was going to reseal it and say I never used it. Before you jump to conclusions and make a fool of yourself, you should know what you're talking about first.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KryllFood']Whoa...guy...reading comprehension. Again, I never said I was trying to return it without anything. Yet again you are throwing around demeaning remarks and a poorly paraphrased version of what I said to fit your argument. What I was going to do was exactly what the other guy said. "Hey, I already traded in motorstorm, will you still accept the return?"

I'd also like to mention while we're going off such extreme stances of morality, I have kept to defending my point like an adult. I guess demeaning others and persecuting them off false information ranks somewhere between thief and holy warrior on your morality scale.[/QUOTE]

KryllFood, don't compare yourself to the other guys because it's very different. You need to understand that it's completely different!!

1. The other guys had problems with their displays and they went to exchange the displays. You stated "Considering people's problems, I've still been thinking about returning it but I already traded in motorstorm."
Exchanging does not equal returning.

2. You stated "I've had mine for about two weeks now and it is still going strong. " Your display doesn't even have a problem. So you are trying to "return" a working item. Why do you think this would be ok with BestBuy?

3. You stated "I'm not sure if I should first try to return it w/o motorstorm or just buy it on ebay." so you are acknowledging the fact that you need all the missing pieces for a RETURN. But you are considering "first try" and hoping you get lucky. So then why would you state "Returning something missing a component for being defective isn't stealing."?

4. Exceed19 never wrote that you were going to reseal and say that you never used it. He wrote "Oh silly me... you mean steal it right? " and you made the assumption and you jumped to conclusions. This idea of resealing is from your mind, not his.

I'll write/edit more a little later.

Readthepost : You are 100% correct. The guy just doesnt get it. You cant come in to CAG, post your going to steal, then everyone is going to think your cool. Our CAG brothers are cheap, but most dont come here to steal like this guy was trying to do.

Every single person that commented has said what he was attempting/thinking about doing was wrong, and in fact, illegal. He just doesnt have the brain power to comprehend it. Then he is going back, and adding parts to his story to try and make it more like he "meant something else". CLEARLY we all see how this guy operates.

The reason this is important here with the CAG community? Is WE ARE a community. We all trade games here, and I sure as shit wouldnt trade with this J/O.

Super glad I bought the 4yr warranty at BBY for this monitor for $30. Just noticed some dust particles trapped under the screen ... near the center (very distracting and noticeable up close). Luckily, most BBYs around here seem to have restocked on this item. Hopefully, it will be a smooth exchange.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Super glad I bought the 4yr warranty at BBY for this monitor for $30. Just noticed some dust particles trapped under the screen ... near the center (very distracting and noticeable up close). Luckily, most BBYs around here seem to have restocked on this item. Hopefully, it will be a smooth exchange.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you can do an even exchange. The way I thought BB Extended warranties work now is that they try to repair it first, and if they can't then they will replace it or give you store credit on the purchase amount...

I HAD a smooth exchange, though it should have been smoother. Walked into BB, explained why I wanted to exchange, and showed the rep a video that I had taken of the issues I had. He checked out the display, made sure everything was there, gave the OK, said get what you want, and we'll do the exchange.

Well it started raining out, so I asked him if it was ok if I wandered around the store while I waited for the rain to let up. He said no prob, take your time. So i went and grabbed the replacement, brought it to the rep, and he held onto it while I walked around. When the rain stopped, I headed back over. New rep there now (one who was helping me was helping someone else). She starts to open it up, check it again, and the previous rep comes back, says he did that already, and the exchange is good to go.

She gives this suspicious look and says did you check it out? He said, he showed me a video, it's all messed up. She then said she was on her "last return", and didn't want to get fired for a fradulant exchange. The rep who was helping me before said just do it on my number, I don't care, it's all good to go. She then insisted that it be tested. Well she took 10 minutes testing it, then tried to point out a small nick in the display, saying that they shouldn't exchange it because of a cosmetic issue, and that it worked. Seems like her manager was ok with the exchange, though when she did it, she said, well it does work but we'll do the exchange.

I had tested this thing for 4-5 hours and couldn't get the thing to hold onto a connection, green screen, snow, display cutting out, blinking red light, the whole nine yards of issues. Seems like they might try to re-sell it based on her "testing", so be wary of this. I was in Braintree, MA, for reference.

TL:DR - had a good exchange, different rep insisted on testing and tried to say I was doing a fradulant return. Got my exchange, but beware of BB trying to re-sell bad displays.

[quote name='SuperSonic128']When I took mine back for an exchange, I had already traded in the game. I told this to the clerk as he was checking it and even offered to replace the game by buying it. I was told not to worry about it, and they didn't even take the copy out of the new one they exchanged it for. Maybe I just got a cool clerk. I had completely returned the TV yesterday due to the same breaking issues. The person didn't even check the TV for problems, he just took my word for it.[/QUOTE]

You got a super cool clerk working at the return desk. My was bad. When I took my in, he insisted that it must be in resalable condition. I returned everything (motorstom game, glasses, hdmi cable) but took off the motorstorm shrinkwrap for testing and the protective plastic off the glasses. He didn't like the fact that I took off the shrinkwrap the game and try deduct 10% off my return. I was not happy and told him that it was defective. I just want to exchange for another one, not return and rebuy. He said he must process it this way but after arguing for a while and he scanned my driver's license and give another one from the shelf to me and wrote down my receipt - customer has returned one 7/23/2012. WTF? He's like tagging me for return defective unit.

Sheeshh...

[quote name='garrett007']Finally able to go to a sams club today but the price is up to $238 now. I even checked last night at 11 to make sure the price was still $198, which it was but I went today and if you check te price it is now $238. I didn't even get to check it out in hd because they all had iron man 2 playing from a cheap DVD player. Oh well[/QUOTE]

Sams Club has just lowered the price to $198 again. This is good if you also want to hookup a PC via the VGA port and HDTV thru the tuner. Absence the 3D capability, connecting via HDMI looks as good as the PS3 display monitor (no reflection too because it is matte).

Just had my first blink after about a month of use. I'm starting to wish I had just saved my money >.>

EDIT: And yesterday was my last day to return it >.

[quote name='Shaq-Funaki']How reliable are these 3d displays?[/QUOTE]

Ive had mine almost a year. I use it for my second ps3 in my office and also use it as a dual display for my macbook pro. I have never had a problem. I love it.

So, just a follow-up on my Sony warranty repair/replacement. I'm sure everyone here has forgotten since it has been so long, but some wanted me to update so here you go.

Recap:

1) Bought the display in mid-May, probably hooked it up around May 20th.
2) My boys used it nearly every day from then until it just suddenly stopped turning on - on June 28th. We didn't get any flickering or warning whatsoever - it just didn't work one morning.
3) Called them and got a service order on July 29th.
4) They sent a coffin via Pony Express (really Fedex Ground) supposedly on July 2nd (when I got an email to that effect), but I didn't get it until around July 11th.
5) I sent it back probably the beginning of the following week (so July 16th).

New info:

6) Got an email on June 20th that they received the display but that my proof of purchase was denied. I had included the packing slip from the Sony Store (which showed shipping date). I didn't have a receipt since I bought it online and I had no email from the Sony Store showing the purchase - I thought the packing slip from their own store would suffice but I guess not.
7) I emailed them a screen cap from my store account and then on July 23rd got an email back saying my display would ship within 24-48 hours.
8) Got the display back this Tuesday (July 31st).

So, all in all, it took about a month, with the greatest amount of time occuring between when I called and got the service order created until when I got the coffin. So it started out slow, but once they actually got the display, then sent it back pretty quickly despite the hiccup of the proof of purchase. Hasn't the display not even been out for a full year yet (and certainly not at the time I called in June)? So kind of odd they even need to bother with proof of purchase at this time, especially given all the problems, but whatever.

I'd imagine your location will have a big effect on the turnaround time since they use Fedex Ground 3 times in the process (sending the coffin, you sending it back, and them sending the "fixed" display back). I don't even remember where it was but since I'm on the west coast it seems like Fedex or UPS Ground always takes 8-9 days to get just about anywhere. Though it seems my shipment of the dead display to them only took about 3-4 days - it is possible this step was not via Ground shipping.

I plugged it in and turned it on and yay - I got the "No signal" screen so at least it is powering up. I haven't tried connecting a system yet as I'm afraid I'll now see stuck pixels or something (my original was perfect in that regard).

So who here recommends the purchase of the TV for $200? Or should I just save myself the time and money and steer clear? Sorry if its been asked.

Display still hanging in there, though I am discovering the limits of my ps2 slim as a DVD player. (It's not as good at what I think is error correction..)

bread's done
Back