PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I don't think we will see a price drop this year. A bigger 1TB HDD most likely.
It's already been leaked, there are two new models being released, one 500 gb model with a smaller internal power, and a 1 TB model with the same smaller internal power supply. That smaller power supply could allow for a drop in price without a change in revenue, so I could see a $50 price drop at some point this year.

Saw this on GAF:

nOUCgs9.gif

Fantastic work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDwu2HLUrA

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameplay trailer looks insane! R&C is Insomniac's best franchise for sure. I cant wait and $40 is a great price, even better if you have GCU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5KCB99ZLhY

And it's gonna sell like crazy. People ache for new games to play on their PS4, so there's no doubt this will be the best selling R&C game to date. If Sony and Insomniac were smart, they'd charge the full $60 for it because millions and millions of copies will sell on day 1 - even non-R&C fans will undoubtedly buy it so they can justify their PS4 purchase

And it's gonna sell like crazy. People ache for new games to play on their PS4, so there's no doubt this will be the best selling R&C game to date. If Sony and Insomniac were smart, they'd charge the full $60 for it because millions and millions of copies will sell on day 1 - even non-R&C fans will undoubtedly buy it so they can justify their PS4 purchase
So PS4 has no games.. yada yada.. ZZzz

This is kind of a stretch, but I'll be interested no doubt. Enjoyed my time with Up Your Arsenal.

I'm a fan of R&C, but the only way this sells "millions and millions" is if the movie becomes a smash hit.

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all and only learns about the numbers through this thread? Not insulting those who do care and post about that stuff. Just curious.

Nah there are a lot of people im sure that dont care. Some of us are just interested in the business accept of the video game industry.

Honestly im mostly glad to see how well Splatoon did. Not a huge install base and an new IP but its selling very well.

In Japan its exactly had a big impact on moving Wii U units.

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all and only learns about the numbers through this thread? Not insulting those who do care and post about that stuff. Just curious.
I don't really care either. Obviously, if I had to pick one I'd rather have higher sales, it'd be my console of choice... But I hardly await the news with bated breath nor do I seek it out on my own.

Gorilla just joined Twitter, a few days before E3, rumors swirling we may see their dinosaur Western RPG.... This could be big and we may finally figure out what all the first party studios are doing. Possibilities thus far,

Last Guardian, Gorilla's game, Sony Santa Monica's game, and Media Molecule. Going to be exciting!!

splatoon, a team based shooter where you need to coordinate without mics. yeah, no thanks.
No need to coordinate. Matches are short and 3 minutes long. You can do your own thing and still do well and be helpful.

Its actually really fun and addicting. Everyone who has actually given the game a chance has seen no need to be able to talk.

Gorilla just joined Twitter, a few days before E3, rumors swirling we may see their dinosaur Western RPG.... This could be big and we may finally figure out what all the first party studios are doing. Possibilities thus far,

Last Guardian, Gorilla's game, Sony Santa Monica's game, and Media Molecule. Going to be exciting!!
i wonder how credible the last guardian rumor is this time, and how long sony is going to string people along with the last guardian hopes.

Nah there are a lot of people im sure that dont care. Some of us are just interested in the business accept of the video game industry.

Honestly im mostly glad to see how well Splatoon did. Not a huge install base and an new IP but its selling very well.

In Japan its exactly had a big impact on moving Wii U units.
splatoon reminds me of nintendo's version of plants vs zombies garden warfare for some reason

I'm not really rooting for either company to sell more or anything. But you have to agree Microsoft has turned it around better then I would have thought. Coming out of e3 2013, I thought it'd be another Dreamcast situation. Phil Spencer has done a great job. It might not just be him, but the Xbox has looked better ever since. I own both consoles but I prefer my PS4 over Xbox One.

On the Tech side of things, I'm starting to wonder if they're really going to put Windows 10 on the Xbox as the Operating System. It could completely change the industry and the Xbox would basically be another Steam Machine.

Also with the Microsoft and Rift's new partnership, makes it seem like Xbox is a little worried about Project Morpheus. As someone that's really interested in VR, I hope Sony manages their time on stage next week well between Morpheus and standard games. I've never tried VR personally, besides those crazy games in arcades in the 90s. But I absolutely believe it's the future of gaming, just don't think anyone is ready for it completely for a couple years.

And about the Guriella game, I really hope it gets shown. Just hope it's not a online only type of game.

Thing is Xbox One was never really doing all that poorly. Its just not selling as well as the PS4. When you're new console is selling faster than your lat one you aren't really having a big issue.

Its only an issue if 3rd parties start to stop making games for them.

Funny thing is a lot of Xbox fans say they don't care about the numbers, but last month when the Xbox won all of a sudden many of them seemed to care.  But yeah if you legit don't care about the business side of gaming then the numbers talk is boring, but I personally find the business side of gaming almost as interesting as the games themselves.

It was fun watching Sony nearly destroy their brand with the PS3 launch and watch them turn it around, and it's even more entertaining to watch Microsoft go through the same thing especially because of their hubris.  And sure Xbox One is selling well, but it is far below Microsoft's expectations, Yusuf Mehdi was quoted as saying before the Xbox One launched that they would sell 400 million Xbox One consoles and could sell up to a billion units.  Article here

And sure Xbox One is selling well, but it is far below Microsoft's expectations, Yusuf Mehdi was quoted as saying before the Xbox One launched that they would sell 400 million Xbox One consoles and could sell up to a billion units. Article here.

Yeah, I doubt they really thought that would happen either.

i got a question here, first time ever trying to play a regular dvd in my ps4. says unsupported disc (foreign movie rec4). go try another dvd (fight club) and it works fine. what would make this other disc unsupported? theres no scratches on the dvd so i really cant think of a reason why it wouldnt be able to play. not like its region locked or some shit

also, it seems after i put this disc in, it bunks my dns server where i cant view trophies or friends list or download game updates.

I'm pretty excited that Tales of Zestiria is coming to PS4. I was probably going to skip it otherwise.

https://youtu.be/0u4Pm2vOD5o

With regards to Xbox One, I am glad that they reversed course on the DRM policies of E3 2013 and focused on games. I am also happy to see that they released a new console with a matte finish. However, there is still not enough on it that's exclusive to the system that makes me want to get another 8th generation console. I am interested to see if MS releases a SE Halo console, which may make me want to finally pull the trigger. 

Sales wise, it would be nice if everyone released the same data at regular intervals. Sony usually releases systems sold (22.3 million), but Microsoft and Nintendo releases systems shipped (10 million Xbox One and 9.54 million Wii U). Sony also releases their data pretty regularly, but Microsoft hasn't updated their numbers since October 2014 so who knows how many they really have shipped since then. I do think monthly regional data is interesting, but I think that the world wide data is much more significant. Regardless of who is "winning" the console war, a healthy console market is good for gamers. 

Hopefully E3 will show something for everyone. Right now my biggest concern is that there are not enough games for the 8th gen consoles that aren't sequels or ports.

Josh Holmes confirmed it on Twitter back in late April that one is being made.

With regards to Xbox One, I am glad that they reversed course on the DRM policies of E3 2013 and focused on games. I am also happy to see that they released a new console with a matte finish. However, there is still not enough on it that's exclusive to the system that makes me want to get another 8th generation console. I am interested to see if MS releases a SE Halo console, which may make me want to finally pull the trigger.

Couple of fun console war vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqucCVzP-Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8DNL2wFLY

Is there an app for E3 this year, or am I missing it? So far, just seems to be twitch. If there is an app, please guide me!

bread's done
Back