PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Sort of yay? I mean I love a new core R&C game for $30 but I'd rather take a next gen launch R&C game for $60 that would be of huge interest to me and now it's one more reason to just wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would had been better for the PS Vita with cross buy for $29.99. Here we thought this was teasing a new game from Sony Santa Monica, lol.

Sort of yay? I mean I love a new core R&C game for $30 but I'd rather take a next gen launch R&C game for $60 that would be of huge interest to me and now it's one more reason to just wait.
I wasn't planning on getting a PS4 for awhile, so I'm glad it's on PS3.

Didn't hear about this til today. Sucks that I am usually super busy with panels but I did get out on the vendor/game floor for about 3 hours last time and played Tomb Raider. 
This year there doesn't seem to be as many panels that I want to go to so hopefully I get some time to get to the new systems.

I've never been a huge fan of the Dual Shock controllers, but the DS 4 is looking and sounding promising. From quotes in this post they really tested it heavily, especially for FPS games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622711

I still wish the analog stick were offset rather than side by side, but otherwise I think it's looking like a great controller.
Just as long as they fix those god-awful triggers from the DS3.

Just as long as they fix those god-awful triggers from the DS3.
Sounds/looks like they have.

If you have and are still playing a PS3, pick up some of these. Make a world of difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Triggers-Silicone-PlayStation-3-6304300/dp/B005D7G3LA/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374097165&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pelican+real+triggers+and+silcon+caps

Only problem is a lot of games still force you to use L1/R1 for aiming and shooting (Uncharted and TLOU both do) so you can't take advantage of the triggers in some games.

Sounds/looks like they have.

If you have and are still playing a PS3, pick up some of these. Make a world of difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Triggers-Silicone-PlayStation-3-6304300/dp/B005D7G3LA/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374097165&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pelican+real+triggers+and+silcon+caps

Only problem is a lot of games still force you to use L1/R1 for aiming and shooting (Uncharted and TLOU both do) so you can't take advantage of the triggers in some games.
I actually had those, and after a few weeks BOTH of them had cracked and broken off.

I haven't had any issues with the DS3, but maybe I have weird hands? I don't remember having any major issues with the N64 or the original "Duke" Xbox controller,both of which people seemed to hate.

I actually had those, and after a few weeks BOTH of them had cracked and broken off.
Mine have been fine, and they're well reviewed. Maybe you just got a bum set? Or an early run and they redid them?

I haven't had any issues with the DS3, but maybe I have weird hands? I don't remember having any major issues with the N64 or the original "Duke" Xbox controller,both of which people seemed to hate.
Mostly it's just personal preference. Other than the lack of real triggers as those do objectively suck compared to the 360 triggers if you play a lot of FPS or racing games that use them (or could). But I suppose some prefer shoulder buttons to triggers for aiming/shooting anyway. *shrugs*

Otherwise I just find the DS3 a bit small (and I don't have particularly big hands), prefer offset analog sticks to side by side (especially for FPS games) as it just feels more comfy for me, and prefer concave rather than convex numbs (which the DS4 has) as my thumbs slip off those less. The silicon stick caps that come with the trigger add ons do help a ton with that though.

Dang, the Sony Wireless Bluetooth 2.0 headset seems hard to find.  None at Target, even Amazon only has them through third party sellers (with the one decent price from a UK retailer with 2-3 week shipping.

Edit: Walmart.com (as much as I hate supporting them), has them for $29.99--$34.48 after shipping and tax for me.

While good news on the headsets, it's not really surprising. The PS3 allows you to use any standard Bluetooth headset, Sony or otherwise. I've paired several different brands to the PS3, and never had any problems. If you want a wireless Bluetooth headset for your Sony gaming experience, shop around for whichever you like the best. They'll all work.

That nice about the headsets but my thing is that I RARELY use voice chat. I've don't have friends who have PS3 so voice chat means almost nothing to me.

I never had one since I rarely did any MP on PS3.  But I want to check out Last of US MP at least briefly after beating since I redeemed the online pass, so with news that bluetooth ones will work on PS4 I figured I might as well grab one.

I'll probably use it more on PS4 as some of my gaming buddies are also switching from 360 to PS4 (at least as their first console).

I saw that any bluetooth head set would work, but I trust the first party one--and any thing cheaper I found had mixed (at best) reviews.  And I didn't want to pay more than $30ish tops as I don't do all that much online gaming these days, so no incentive to shell out for a nice set of Turtle Beach's or whatever.

I thought about just trying my phone usb head set that I never use, but I really need a mic mute button so I can kill it when talking to my girlfriend, clearing my throat, eating between matches etc.

I haven't had any issues with the DS3, but maybe I have weird hands?
Yeah, I never understood the (near) universal condemnation of the PS3 controller and love for the 360 controller. I switch back and forth all the time and don't really notice any difference other than the horrendous d-pad of the 360 controller. It is nice when using the PS3 controller for up to mean up (unlike on the 360 controller where it would go to one side or the other more often than not). My original white 360 controllers were the worst and it did seem to get better with the newer ones - but not as smooth as the PS3 controller.

I only posted this one here because the Kickstarter recently got approved by Sony for PS4 and Vita support for this upcoming RPG. Support toward a PS4/Vita copy is about 3/4 of the way. Game has a unique art style and has turn-based fighting. Check out the page and see what you think. $10 nets you a copy of the game, $25 nets a copy of all 3 games planned in the trilogy. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege

It really caught my eye, i normally don't pass things like this on but after checking it out and seeing what he had already accomplished, it was worth it to me to pass on.

Yeah, I never understood the (near) universal condemnation of the PS3 controller and love for the 360 controller.
I really think it's mostly FPS players. Most prefer triggers to shoulder buttons for aim/shooting, and L2/R2 on the DS suck (though the attachments help).

Rest is just whether you like the offset rather than side by side analog sticks more (or are indifferent) and whether the DS is too small for your hands.

I really think it's mostly FPS players. Most prefer triggers to shoulder buttons for aim/shooting, and L2/R2 on the DS suck (though the attachments help).

Rest is just whether you like the offset rather than side by side analog sticks more (or are indifferent) and whether the DS is too small for your hands.
A lot of people complain about the size of the DS3 compared to the 360 pad as well. I never had any issues switching between the two though. I do agree that the triggers on the PS3 were pretty bad, I'm so happy that they fixed that with the DS4.

I listed size by stating some feel it's too small for their hands.

I definitely have no problems switching either--but I do hate the lack of triggers and prefere offset analog sticks.  But neither make the controller a pain to use by any means.  Just less comfy/intuitive than the 360 controllers for some games--namely FPS games.

I listed size by stating some feel it's too small for their hands.

I definitely have no problems switching either--but I do hate the lack of triggers and prefere offset analog sticks. But neither make the controller a pain to use by any means. Just less comfy/intuitive than the 360 controllers for some games--namely FPS games.
Sorry, I missed that part for some reason haha. The DS4 does seem to be a bit bigger though so that should be a plus for people who disliked the DS3 due to the size factor.

Played Octodad at SDCC and I thought it was a really good game. Got to chat with some of the developers of the game and they seemed really excited about working with Sony. They really want to try and use everything the Ps4 has to offer. The DS4 triggers also seem to be easier to access than the DS3s.

Played Octodad at SDCC and I thought it was a really good game. Got to chat with some of the developers of the game and they seemed really excited about working with Sony. They really want to try and use everything the Ps4 has to offer. The DS4 triggers also seem to be easier to access than the DS3s.
How did the controller feel compared to the DS3?

The watch dogs CE is extremely nice, but after paying 400 for a console I really can't spend that much on a game. Actually makes me want to wait on the game until I can get the CE cheaper down the road :v

The watch dogs CE is extremely nice, but after paying 400 for a console I really can't spend that much on a game. Actually makes me want to wait on the game until I can get the CE cheaper down the road :v
I might throw in the required $25 down at some point, but I am glad that they are already releasing CEs for the next gen.

How did the controller feel compared to the DS3?

A lot better It didn't even feel like I was holding a controller just playing the game. A lot less akward than the DS3.

i love the size of ps4 gamepad when i got my hands on it at e3 it's really big and fits in your hand just like 360, but will say still not a fan on locations of thumb sticks still feels like i might still get cramps on ps4 like i did with ps3 gamepad.

Is something wrong with me? Ive never had any issues playing a game on the PS3.

Did people hate the ps2 controller too? Werent they both basically the same?

PS3 triggers were the only issues for me. For the 360 it was the d-pad. Both are being addressed with the next-gen system.

Covered in posts above.

Mostly just personal preference. I never liked the size of any of the PS controllers--even with not having big hands they feel a small to me. The triggers suck for FPS games (the snap on Pelican real triggers do help though) and I prefer off set to side by side analog sticks.

All fixed but the stick placement on the DS4, and that's the smallest of my gripes with the DS2 and DS3 so I'm sure I'll be fine with it.

PS3 triggers were the only issues for me. For the 360 it was the d-pad. Both are being addressed with the next-gen system.
Well, the X1 controller doesn't look like much of an improvement (if any). (Heck, during the Jimmy Fallen demo of Killer Instinct, they used fight sticks.) The D-pad for the X1 looks very similar to the original, non transforming, d-pad from the 360.

The only problem I have with the DS3 are the triggers. I also prefer the symmetric stick placement, I'm so glad Sony kept it that way. I honestly never got the universal praise for the 360 controller though. The dpad on it is an absolute joke, I think it will go down as the worst in history. The bumpers sucked too IMO, and I also hated the "bubble" face buttons. That being said I can't wait till I get hold the next gen controllers. :bouncy:

A lot of people never use the d-pad, as aside from fighters and 2D games it's not used in most games for more than quick-selecting weapons, calling in kill streak rewards etc., and the crappy one on the 360 was fine for that kind of stuff.  So basically it's an awesome controller for shooters especially--which is the bread and butter of the 360.

But definitely an awful d-pad if you had to use it to play a game.  I'm pretty sure they've fixed it on the X1 controller though (made it 4 way instead of disc base) as most write ups about it mention it being much improved:  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-xbox-one-controller-hands-on

So it looks like both controllers should be nice improvements over their current gen counterparts it seems.

I've never had an issue with the dual shock. Kind of excited to see what they've done to a controller that's basically stayed the exact same for 3 generations.

All-time favorite controller is the GameCube, though.

I liked the ergonomics of the GC controller.  Just needed a same size second analog stick for dual analog games (which became mostly what I played starting that generation).

Has a lot to do with the consoles library too like you mentioned before. The GC wasn't really shooter heavy, so using the c-stick for the camera where you aren't constantly looking around, or other uses like smash moves in SSBM felt fine. If the system was relying heavily on FPSes it probably would have posed a problem.

Yep, it definitely fit games that didn't have a lot of aiming/looking with the analog stick just fine.

I think that really hurt the GC in the west though as gaming here really started to shift to FPS games that generation and their controller was really not well suited for it vs. the PS2 or Xbox controllers.  Then they went further that way with the Wii as most people didn't like using the pointer in place of second stick.

Much more to it than that (pissing off third parties over the years, not putting out comparably powerful hardware to the competition etc.), but they really missed the shift in gaming genre interests in the west and are really floundering now with the Wii U as a result as they're just not getting third party support and have pretty much nothing in the genres that really sell gangbusters over here.

bread's done
Back