PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I dont know if this has been said a few times already, but I gotta be honest man. I just found out that the ps4 cant play ps3 games, not even digital. (you can skip the next paragraph and over to the third if youve heard the noise already lol)

wtf were they thinking? i dont wanna hear about all the advanced processing power being the reason, cuz its not the same magnitutde of a jump between ps2 and the ps3 next gen consoles, theres an improvement graphically, but nothing major, (and yes, u dont have to tell me, I know the ps4 is a super machine, def on paper and well see what programmers can do with it soon enuff...but thats not my point; what is is that a supermachine of this power should be able to handle non x86 software, i mean with all its abilitiy, they couldnt make a virtual machine!!!!!??duh?! as an ex programmer, play devils advocate, too much resources....fine...how about just a simpler emulation, even if then it sacrificed some smoothness?! w/e....

i dont know if others feel the same but besides all the DOA consoles, this has made me very annoyed now because i wanted one for christmas, the only thing i was looking forward to, but now i dont know if its worth it for slightly better graphics.....but anyway instead of ranting, i thought id ask a question and be of some use to maybe some other person who didnt know because i coudlnt find an answer on future plans regaurding this issue:

will the ps4 eventually have backward compatibility, either with a hardware upgrade or software/firmware update? does anyone have any idea if that has been discussed or even planned?

thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING CAG
As far as the reasoning for why it is not backwards compatible, another reason is the difference in processor. Not the power, but they went from their stupid propritary Core processor, to a regular more powerful processor. That was the biggest reason they couldn't do backwards compatible gaming. Everyone complained the Core was too confusing and difficult to develop for, the games on it were very complex and different. Going to the new processor is a fast AMD processor that is already getting rave reviews from developers with how easy it is to make games for.

As for backwards compatibility going forward, Gaikai was purchased by Sony to allow us to stream any Sony game straight to your console. Honestly it will be a better deal than just regular backwards compatibility. No word on price of it, but if it is similar in price to Netflix, I am definitely in! So far Sony has done everything right and it is not like 360 offers backwards compatibility on the One, they don't.

There is a lot more to the PS4 then SLIGHTLY better graphics. Honestly there has been a pretty good leap in graphics with it going full HD at 60 FPS. Not to mention the DS4 is honestly now the best controller on the market and most people are saying better than the One's controller due to the bad bumpers. The UI is super fast and makes sense which is totally not Sony, but they did it. and truthfully the PSN works better with faster downloads and background updates. If backwards comp is the biggest reason you won't switch that is dumb, just keep your PS3 and buy a PS4... Eventually Gaikai will come, but right now it is still worth it.

As far as the reasoning for why it is not backwards compatible, another reason is the difference in processor. Not the power, but they went from their stupid propritary Core processor, to a regular more powerful processor. That was the biggest reason they couldn't do backwards compatible gaming. Everyone complained the Core was too confusing and difficult to develop for, the games on it were very complex and different. Going to the new processor is a fast AMD processor that is already getting rave reviews from developers with how easy it is to make games for.

As for backwards compatibility going forward, Gaikai was purchased by Sony to allow us to stream any Sony game straight to your console. Honestly it will be a better deal than just regular backwards compatibility. No word on price of it, but if it is similar in price to Netflix, I am definitely in! So far Sony has done everything right and it is not like 360 offers backwards compatibility on the One, they don't.

There is a lot more to the PS4 then SLIGHTLY better graphics. Honestly there has been a pretty good leap in graphics with it going full HD at 60 FPS. Not to mention the DS4 is honestly now the best controller on the market and most people are saying better than the One's controller due to the bad bumpers. The UI is super fast and makes sense which is totally not Sony, but they did it. and truthfully the PSN works better with faster downloads and background updates. If backwards comp is the biggest reason you won't switch that is dumb, just keep your PS3 and buy a PS4... Eventually Gaikai will come, but right now it is still worth it.
Thanks for that very informative reply. I suppose if the proprietary archiecture and native coding for the ps3 cpu would be too expensive to "port" over, that does make sense indeed. i never heard of this gaikai option though, so i will look into it and i think ill get a ps4 as long as they lemme play my old godamn games, with my back log of ps3 games, if i even tried to finish them all before getting a ps4, id be buying half price 2015 holiday bundles lol. thanks again pal

So I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but how is everyone doing with keeping the backlog away? There have been a few tempting sales (B2G1, Skylanders Swapforce for $38, Ghosts for $40, lots of $50 games from Walmart), but surely you didn't buy all of them or did you? We also got free copies of Resogun and Contrast from PS+ and some crossplay games like Flower and Soundshapes. 

Anyway, I took advantage of the B2G1 sale from Amazon and got Killzone: Shadowfall, Need for Speed Rivals and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. So far I've finished with Assassin's Creed IV and Flower, so I still have Killzone, NFS, Resogun and Contrast.

How is gaikai a better deal? No matter how good the streaming get's it will never be as good as playing locally. There will always be some kind of delay or bandwith limitation on how good game looks

Last edited by a moderator:
How is gaikai a better deal? No matter how good the streaming get's it will never be as good as playing locally. There will always be some kind of delay or bandwith limitation on how good game looks
True, but its better then nothing I suppose. It would also be amazing if the Gaikai streaming service is included with a plus membership. It probably wont happen but I can dream haha.

I really wish Sony and MS both released a version of their new console that was fully backwards compatable. I'd gladly pay the extra $ to have the extra chips inside to make it happen.

How do you know? Have you played it? The PS Vita Remote play is run of gaikai technology and works perfectly! I say it will be a good deal if it is a good price, $10 a month to play any PS1, PS2, or PS3 game? Even if you have a backlog, you'll get way more games for the price. But we don't know all the details so it's a moot point. I just don't know how you can say there will be a delay or bandwith issues if you have never used it yet.

I really wish Sony and MS both released a version of their new console that was fully backwards compatable. I'd gladly pay the extra $ to have the extra chips inside to make it happen.
I think the real problem is those who actually did make use of it were an incredibly small minority, like not even 10%, that's why they stopped trying on the 360 after awhile and aren't even trying on the Xbox One and they completely dropped it from the PS3 after a little bit. So for all the noise a few of us disgruntled internet nerds makes it's not worth the hassle for them. I think a lot of us are just going to be hanging on to our old consoles a bit longer this round...

Small correction - it was the Cell processor. Not core. :) Carry on!

Game install time comparison for Xbone and PS4. Good thing Xboners can snap TV while they wait. :lol:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

That's until they can start the game right? Because I'm pretty sure my games took longer than that to fully install but I could usually play in under a minute.

That's until they can start the game right? Because I'm pretty sure my games took longer than that to fully install but I could usually play in under a minute.
Yea.

"So both consoles have a feature that allows you to launch a game as soon as enough content is installed to begin running it, while the rest of the data continues to install in the background. Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet."

The Toy Maker is now available on the Playstation Store as a free addon.

It lets you draw items on the Playstation App on your Vita, Apple or Android device and then send them to the Playroom.  

There is not really any where online that you can for sure get a PS4 at this stage...

Like someone said, Walmart, and if you don't get ont, they will get it to you bysecond week of December I believe.  Target is supposed to get some, and same with Best Buy... The only way you get one is to join a waiting list online at like Amazon, or stand in line at a store.

I wish I knew if Amazon was gonna have some PS4s tonight at midnight or at a certain time. All PS4s come with 30 days of PS+ right? Also, does anyone know if the $29 for PS+ on Black Friday will be available online anywhere?

I wish I knew if Amazon was gonna have some PS4s tonight at midnight or at a certain time. All PS4s come with 30 days of PS+ right? Also, does anyone know if the $29 for PS+ on Black Friday will be available online anywhere?
Yes to the first question, and BB is supposed to have it as their deal of the day which is always online...

Hi,

You must be new. Welcome to every console launch since the dawn of gaming.
I remember N64 having releases each month after launch and that was notorious for lack of support. Sure only 2 at launch but support monthly. I believe PS1 also had releases in the immediate months after launch.

I see a handful of games for PS4 coming Feb and March. That's over 2 months of no releases and then only a couple by the end of March. That seems lower than usual or you could say common for recent game consoles.

upgrading my ps4 HDD to 1TB. do i have to deactivate my accounts? or just swap them out?
You just swap it out. It formats the drive and the PS4 acts like a brand new system after the swap. Unfortunately there is no backup/restore option like there is on the PS3.

Here's the guide if you need it.

Anyone else getting very slow internet for somethings on ps4?  I'm downloading fifa update right now and it's taking forever.   I did speedtest.net on this pc that is connected to same exact router about 5 feet from ps4 and internet is fine.  

Anyone else getting very slow internet for somethings on ps4? I'm downloading fifa update right now and it's taking forever. I did speedtest.net on this pc that is connected to same exact router about 5 feet from ps4 and internet is fine.
Mine has been pretty good, but my PS4 is using a wired connection.

Ironically, the company I bitched about with their terrible holiday bundle pre-order idea ended up getting my PS4 business.

Got to Walmart (a 24 hour store) at 4 PM and got the 4th wristband (out of 6 PS4s available) for the 6 PM BF event 1.  Drove home, got dessert and went back.  Place was an absolute zoo.  20 minutes later, I got my PS4...  So stoked!!!

Finally got one. Downloading the PS+ games now. I'm an Xbox convert, need some PS friends, feel free to add me Fudge0Packer, that is the numeral zero in the middle : )

I didn't realize I had to enter my credit card info with the 30 day trial. It said something about auto billing for renewal, but that you can turn that off in account settings. Problem is I can't find the account management anywhere to do that. Can someone direct me? Thanks.

Finally got one. Downloading the PS+ games now. I'm an Xbox convert, need some PS friends, feel free to add me Fudge0Packer, that is the numeral zero in the middle : )

I didn't realize I had to enter my credit card info with the 30 day trial. It said something about auto billing for renewal, but that you can turn that off in account settings. Problem is I can't find the account management anywhere to do that. Can someone direct me? Thanks.
Settings > PSN > Account Information > Services List

Click on Playstation Plus then select the first entry. Inside there you should see "Cancel Automatic Renewal"

Anyone else getting very slow internet for somethings on ps4? I'm downloading fifa update right now and it's taking forever. I did speedtest.net on this pc that is connected to same exact router about 5 feet from ps4 and internet is fine.

I'm not getting slow speeds but it does take a few seconds to recognize that I have it hooked up through a cable.

yup - I signed up for it... so now mine expires 9/2016...
Im good through at least 2017 and maybe 2018. I dont remember as I have bought ps+ cards and havent used them all yet, I think I already have 2 years already and 3 more cards to enter. Just bought 2 yesterday at walmart for 60.

Needless to say, I am good on ps+ for a long time.

People complained a little about MP being behind paywall for ps4, but then here come the best deals ever on ps+ (minus some target fiasco where they were like 10 bucks). ps+ was never discounted previously much, or at least no where near as often as Live. I hope sony keeps putting out good + games going forward and that part of the service doesnt start to suck.

So if I buy a PS+ card is it good forever?  What I mean is can I add this to my account in 6 months and it won't be expired?

I just got some error codes trying to enter the codes I got off amazon. I wonder if sony's servers are getting hammered?

I just got some error codes trying to enter the codes I got off amazon. I wonder if sony's servers are getting hammered?
Same. I copied and pasted it into a text file so it better work when i try again after work. I refuse to call tech support over something so stupid

Same. I copied and pasted it into a text file so it better work when i try again after work. I refuse to call tech support over something so stupid
Just to let you guys know, I think it has to do with the PS4. I tried 3-4 times last night, and 2 more times agin this morning - each time getting the same error code.

I just now tried it on my PS3 and it went through without even a small problem.

Just to let you guys know, I think it has to do with the PS4. I tried 3-4 times last night, and 2 more times agin this morning - each time getting the same error code.

I just now tried it on my PS3 and it went through without even a small problem.
I can't even access the store on the ps3 the screen just stays black

bread's done
Back