PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Another 360 convert here. Does anyone know if the PS4 will support custom soundtracks? I mean will all the games support it like the 360? The PS3 was game by game wether it supported custom soundtracks right?

Another 360 convert here. Does anyone know if the PS4 will support custom soundtracks? I mean will all the games support it like the 360? The PS3 was game by game wether it supported custom soundtracks right?
I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The PS3 was left up to the developer to implement it.

Haha, I guess you could consider me a converter, but I have owned a PS3 for years, but barely touch it lol.

My collection is (well - was. Traded most of it in in prep of E3.) primarily 360. However I am already making strides towards Sony. Started playing my VITA again at least, lol.

It is good to see so many new converts! :lol:

Of course I'm saying that as a Sony fan & staunch supporter of the PS3, but it's also good to see so many people switch over as a stand against the anti-consumerism that MS is beginning to roll out.  After all, if they really got away with it and came out on top again, then everyone would get away with it and that's just not a direction I'd like to see the industry go in.

Welcome to the fold, guys!

Lol. I found it funny, that, when I called GS about game trade values, the employee mentioned a 30% trade in bonus toward a PS4. No other system. Even though it's available for that other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. I found it funny, that, when I called GS about game trade values, the employee mentioned a 30% trade in bonus toward a PS4. No other system. Even though it's available for that other one.
Well that's a bad employee then. Have to mention both. Trying to get business for the company you work for.

I went to Best Buy today, they had PS4 & X1 available for preorder $25 down, GS had 2 X1's left & 21 PS4 left, $100 down. I was shocked Bestbuy had both systems available for preorder and GS still had over 20 PS4's available, and when I was at each store someone was preordering a PS4 ahead of me. It seems that Sony may have a huge number of systems ready for launch.
I don't know how it is at every store, but at my Gamestop we got 10 Xbox One preorder slots to fill and 52 PS4 spots, so it was literally 5:1 in PS4 reserves favor. Our Xbox spots were gone day one, and I'm pretty sure we have a few PS4's left. The problem is Dudebro McFrathouse Xbox gamer doesn't watch E3 and hasn't heard of all the anti-consumer restrictions in the new system, so when I mention we've got the PS4 still available for preorder he scoffs at the idea that he would ever buy such a console.

It's cool though. It's his money and I'm not going to tell him how to spend it.

That's also probably the reason they didn't mention the Xbox. Probably out of preorder spots, so no point in mentioning it if you can't put money towards it.

I went to Best Buy today, they had PS4 & X1 available for preorder $25 down, GS had 2 X1's left & 21 PS4 left, $100 down. I was shocked Bestbuy had both systems available for preorder and GS still had over 20 PS4's available, and when I was at each store someone was preordering a PS4 ahead of me. It seems that Sony may have a huge number of systems ready for launch.
I don't know how it is at every store, but at my Gamestop we got 10 Xbox One preorder slots to fill and 52 PS4 spots, so it was literally 5:1 in PS4 reserves favor. Our Xbox spots were gone day one, and I'm pretty sure we have a few PS4's left. The problem is Dudebro McFrathouse Xbox gamer doesn't watch E3 and hasn't heard of all the anti-consumer restrictions in the new system, so when I mention we've got the PS4 still available for preorder he scoffs at the idea that he would ever buy such a console.

That's also probably the reason they didn't mention the Xbox. Probably out of preorder spots, so no point in mentioning it if you can't put money towards it.
I wonder how most of these guys are going to feel about the Xbox One once they get it?

Just so I can put this in perspective and do some mental math, how many Wii U's did you have for pre-order last year?

Doesn't anyone have any links to info about the Move on PS4? I've done a little searching myself but I haven't found much. Do the old Move controllers work with the PS4? If so, will it require the new camera, or will the PS3's work as well?

I believe I read you'll need the new camera, and the dualshock 4 will have move functionality (but don't quote me, I could be completely remembering wrong).

Yeah, it was implied that the old controllers would work back in February but we do know that the new camera is needed. And yes, aptanor is correct, DS4 has Move functionality(to an extent, anyway) built in.

I'll get the camera, but I doubt I'll use it much. I liked Move & have a good amount of Move only/compatible games, but it almost never gets used. I have a feeling this gen will be the same, but we'll see.

I wonder how most of these guys are going to feel about the Xbox One once they get it?

Just so I can put this in perspective and do some mental math, how many Wii U's did you have for pre-order last year?
Some people I talked to were totally fine with all of the restrictions on the console. They just want their Halo and other Microsoft exclusives. I mean, me personally I don't buy many used games, but I tend to sell off the ones I have finished on Amazon or ebay to finance future purchases, so that's where they lose my console purchase.

Honestly, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the Wii U while we were preordering it because I had no interest in picking up the system whatsoever. Plus, there were different models and we were preordering people to be on different shipment waves, so it was really messy. But, I think for the sake of what you're trying to figure out it might have been somewhere in the range of 25-30 systems in our store on launch day proper.

I was actually really surprised at just how many systems we actually had available for preorder for the PS4. 52 sounds like a ton for my tiny store.

Some people I talked to were totally fine with all of the restrictions on the console. They just want their Halo and other Microsoft exclusives. I mean, me personally I don't buy many used games, but I tend to sell off the ones I have finished on Amazon or ebay to finance future purchases, so that's where they lose my console purchase.

Honestly, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the Wii U while we were preordering it because I had no interest in picking up the system whatsoever. Plus, there were different models and we were preordering people to be on different shipment waves, so it was really messy. But, I think for the sake of what you're trying to figure out it might have been somewhere in the range of 25-30 systems in our store on launch day proper.

I was actually really surprised at just how many systems we actually had available for preorder for the PS4. 52 sounds like a ton for my tiny store.
Yeah unless Sony is already sitting on a mountain of them and are just waiting to beat Microsoft to the punch on release date, I don't see them producing this many units to cover all of the preorders on a first wave shipment basis.

Yeah unless Sony is already sitting on a mountain of them and are just waiting to beat Microsoft to the punch on release date, I don't see them producing this many units to cover all of the preorders on a first wave shipment basis.
i doubt there is going to be a shortage of console, like ppl are saying with the ps3. Maybe not every1 will be able to get one on release date. But there should be plentiful amount for purchase.

New information regarding PS+ for PS4.

• Social features will not require PS+.
  • Auto-update feature will not require PS+ on PS4.
  • Media Apps like Netflix will not require PS+.
"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_details_ps4_playstation_plus_changes.html
Sony is still working out on if Gaikai will be included with PS+ or be charged seperately for PS3 backwards compatibility streaming.

Also here is the packaging for the PS4.

h6yn.png

My ideal gaikai scenario is that the PS4 would recognize if a legit PS3 disc is in the drive, and then allow you to stream the game as long as you have the disc in the drive. This would be a PS+ exclusive benefit.

My ideal gaikai scenario is that the PS4 would recognize if a legit PS3 disc is in the drive, and then allow you to stream the game as long as you have the disc in the drive. This would be a PS+ exclusive benefit.

Isnt this how they will implement BC for ps4? Stream ps3 games over the internet.

On top of that, if they can judge which games were digitally purchased on your PS3 using your account, have the ability to play those games over Gaikai as well.

Isnt this how they will implement BC for ps4? Stream ps3 games over the internet.
Yes, but how they implement it is still not known. The could very easily treat them like re-released PS2/PS1 games and just have you pay for them. Just how onlive does it now.

On top of that, if they can judge which games were digitally purchased on your PS3 using your account, have the ability to play those games over Gaikai as well.
If they go this route this would have to be the case and even be marketed with them on PS3. "Buy X game and have it on PS4 too!!!"

"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."
Sony is still working out on if Gaikai will be included with PS+ or be charged seperately for PS3 backwards compatibility streaming.

h6yn.png
Ah. That Sony. Always creating decor friendly, superior products. :)

"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_details_ps4_playstation_plus_changes.html

h6yn.png
Ah. That Sony. Always creating decor friendly, superior products. :)

Ok. 1 strike for the PS1 decor-ism, lol.
Ok. I still haven't figured out how to quote properly and I'll add edit properly!

Any word on Hawken for the PS4? Would love for that to be a launch title. My dream would be Chu Chu Rocket for a PSN launch title. Can't beleive that game never made the current PSN/XBLA generation.

http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

^More good news for us PS4 folks. The worst thing a third party publisher can implement for used games on PS4 is online pass.
and in case you are Kotaku, and that is still too confusing for you it was clarified even further since some people seem to think they're only talking bout first-party games:

Tretton: "Any game that is made for PS4 that is physical goods, whether first-party or third-party, can go into a PS4 and play regardless of where it came from. The first player will play it, no problem, the second player will play it, no problem. What I was referring to was the online proposition."
source: http://kotaku.com/sony-still-a-little-vague-about-third-party-used-games-513032471

Man I wish these articles came up earlier lol, thanks for another one.

Edit: The AllthingsD article which kotaku sourced even have the PR rep give an example.

This example was later given to me by a Sony spokesman: If you buy a used disc from GameStop, you’ll have no problem popping that disc in and playing it from your PlayStation 4. The issue may arise when you try to jump online and play with other players. At that point, a third-party publisher may impose a fee or not allow that. The easiest way to explain it is — if you understand how it works on PlayStation 3, then that’s the same way it will work on PlayStation 4. No changes there. We’ve been out for six and a half years. It’s the same experience.

The PS4 won't have the same online store as the PS3, right? Due to the different architecture etc of the system?

The PS4 won't have the same online store as the PS3, right? Due to the different architecture etc of the system?

They've shown a few screens and it seems pretty different but with some similarities.

I tend to think that the revamp of the PS Store a few months back was more or less of a beta test for how they want things to work in the future. I expect since it'll be built right in to the architecture this time around, it should be a bit more streamlined and much more snappy.

They've shown a few screens and it seems pretty different but with some similarities.

I tend to think that the revamp of the PS Store a few months back was more or less of a beta test for how they want things to work in the future. I expect since it'll be built right in to the architecture this time around, it should be a bit more streamlined and much more snappy.
Good lord, I hope it is more "snappy". That thing lags so much on me I never know if I pressed a button or not and then end up doing it 3 more times and going past what I wanted. Yeah, they need to fix that.

As for Gaikai, if it is a PS+ benefit and allows play when PS3 discs are inserted that would be awesome. But much like the ephemeral supposed future benefits of the X1, I'll take a wait and see approach on that one. We have the dual problem of how they will make you pay for it plus skepticism on how well this streaming/cloud-based approach will work in the first place.

I really hope the thing about only one person needing PS+ is true because I have 2 kids that do online multiplayer on the PS3 and of course I am the only one with PS+ right now. It sounds like Microsoft might even be doing the same thing (one gold account per box) which is a plus for them. If that is the case, I could drop my older son from Xbox Live gold which would save me some money.

The problem with both comes later when I may end up with 2 of each system as I do now - would the PS+ benefits go on both machines for all users as it does now? (Ie, my kids can play my PS+ freebie games on either machine right now). But that's a ways off - I don't plan on buying multiple consoles any time soon.

Haha, no kidding...  The storefront in it's current state on the PS3 is just awful.

I don't think the architecture for the PS3 was built for an online storefront, I think that was just something that wound up getting shoehorned in because of the popularity of XBLA.  With all the excitement surrounding the "press a button & play" philosophy, having multiple things running at once(like a Vita or smartphone) and the beefed up RAM, I see no reason why the store shouldn't be much improved along with everything else.

As for Gaikai, if it is a PS+ benefit and allows play when PS3 discs are inserted that would be awesome. But much like the ephemeral supposed future benefits of the X1, I'll take a wait and see approach on that one. We have the dual problem of how they will make you pay for it plus skepticism on how well this streaming/cloud-based approach will work in the first place.
I can't wait until Gaikai gets worked out. As someone jumping ship from the 360 to PS4 (most likely), I really want to catch up on some PS3 games I've missed. If I have to hunt the discs down I will even though I don't care for used, but I really hope they get it working properly and with no lag. Hope they can get PS2 and PS1 games back on there too.

h6yn.png
i have always loved ps boxes always look sweet and seeing im a person that has my game system boxes on shelf to show off i like great looking boxes. this kind of looks like ps2 box with the mostly all blue. First the system looks like ps2 now the box

OK, two questions. What's a gaikai that I keep seeing mentioned, and will the PS4 require PS+? I don't pay for it now, I won't pay for it on the next system....

OK, two questions. What's a gaikai that I keep seeing mentioned, and will the PS4 require PS+? I don't pay for it now, I won't pay for it on the next system....
Gaikai is the streaming service that PS4 will use to play PS1, PS2, & PS3 games over the internet. PS+ is not required for single-player and local multi-player, it is required for online multi-player.

Well that puts a big tarnish on my wanting a PS4. I don't do much multiplayer but having the option there was always nice on the PS3. Def not wanting an xboxone but now even the PS4 has something against it. The initial game lineup also has zero games I want to play as well. First time ever that I'm not excited about any new console on the horizon.

Even that streaming game service isn't interesting me. I've no interest in ps1\ps2 games, and if I want a ps3 game I imagine gamestop will be cheaper than having what I assume will be yet another monthly fee. Ugh...

I know i'm late but I just got back in town from a 10 day vacation and I'm shocked Sony isn't implementing DRM rules that Microsoft is doing.  I'm relieved and very pleasantly surprised to hear the news about the PS4.  As a gamer I'll be supporting Sony's PS4 undoubtedly for the next gen. 

Folks might want to read this....

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Giant Bomb News 166 Comments
Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies
by Patrick Klepek on June 19, 2013

Sources indicate Microsoft is going to move away from what's caused the company so much headache.
UPDATED: Microsoft has confirmed these policy changes are happening.

--

The tug-of-war between Microsoft and Sony just got more interesting. Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
It is unclear what caused this huge change in policy right after E3, a week where Microsoft executives spent days explaining, justifying, and talking about its policies to the press. I suspect Microsoft’s official announcement will say something to the effect of “we've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”

Based on what I’m being told, that’s definitely true.

I've reached out to Microsoft for comment.

Microsoft has taken an enormous amount of heat regarding DRM policies with its new console. Sony became consumer heroes at E3, announcing PlayStation 4 would not treat used games differently, and the status quo would reign. The company released this video, twisting the knife:

Of course, Xbox One is still $499 and PlayStation 4 is still $399. But today moves the needle.

Filed under: Xbox One PlayStation 4

Interesting... However, there is just too much of a bromance on the Live community. I think I am still sticking to my guns on the PS4 and would be more inclined to pick up the X1, if these details of DRM changes are true, after price drops / holiday (or exclusive) bundles.

The only game I want for my PS4 is Infamous Second Son. I wish it was a launch title, guess I'll settle for DriveClub which we get free or something like that with PS Plus.

bread's done
Back