PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Still sticking with the PS4 as my launch console but will now definitely look at the XBOne after it drops in price a bit. I really did like the look of that Spark game as I love building things on my own. MS will most likely be used for exclusives only with multi-platform on the PS4 for me. 

I really wish they would release some more information on the Gaikai service. If it becomes a reasonable way to pick up a few of the rpg i missed on the ps2 i would be extremely happy. I would also wonder if its going to be tied into the trophy system they were playing around with for ps1 and ps2 games. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still with Playstation for console choice, 100 bucks cheaper and I can game naked in peace with no spy cam! :)

Misinformation again - you can turn off the kinect and turn off the privacy features. This has been said multiple times.

I had a 360 this gen but I'm going with PS4 next gen. I feel like Microsoft would've gotten away with something terrible if they could have and I can't support that.

Still with Playstation for console choice, 100 bucks cheaper and I can game naked in peace with no spy cam! :)
Misinformation again - you can turn off the kinect and turn off the privacy features. This has been said multiple times.
You can turn off the Kinect when you turn off the system itself. But while the system is on, it can only be "paused", not "off".

Not to mention, they don't go into detail exactly what privacy features can be changed. So it may very well still pick up key stuff while it's "paused". They never clarified that. And frankly with as much as they have lied in recent weeks, I don't know why anyone would trust their word anymore.

You can turn off the Kinect when you turn off the system itself. But while the system is on, it can only be "paused", not "off".

Not to mention, they don't go into detail exactly what privacy features can be changed. So it may very well still pick up key stuff while it's "paused". They never clarified that. And frankly with as much as they have lied in recent weeks, I don't know why anyone would trust their word anymore.

When have they lied? Come on.

I love how Sony has never done anything wrong or stumbled/lied

4e5ema8y.jpg

9u8eve8u.jpg

I love how Sony has never done anything wrong or stumbled/lied

4e5ema8y.jpg

9u8eve8u.jpg
Yesterday was a great example of when they lied. A console they were happy and confident would bring in the future of gaming that they kept referwncing their broadband choice with. A console that was built from the ground up with all of this always-on/DRM stuff in it and couldnt be switched off. Ta da! Switched off without having to start over. Take off your blinders and face reality.

And I like how you bring up Sony although nobody has defended their dumb mistakes like a controller introduced a couple years before the console released (as opposed to 5 months) and the $600 fiasco.

Grasping at straws. Desperate much to defend,MS?

Dude they didn't lie yesterday. They shifted their strategy. The console is still set up to do all of the things they announced and in a few years can easily add some of these features. I really don't get how you think me lied to you :lol:

xbox-180-meme.jpg

And Sony paid for that pretty harshly. They might've actually crushed the 360 has they not been full of shit and launched at a competitive price point.

Dude they didn't lie yesterday. They shifted their strategy. The console is still set up to do all of the things they announced and in a few years can easily add some of these features. I really don't get how you think me lied to you :lol:
Except now it isn't set up for game sharing, installing games from the disc, or playing your game disc library on any console without the disc.

Except now it isn't set up for game sharing, installing games from the disc, or playing your game disc library on any console without the disc.
Forget E3. It never happened.

M$ pretty much just announced a new console but forgot to kill off kinect, add free games to Xbox Live Gold and offer free streaming for everyone. Oh yeah and they also forgot to drop the price $100.

Too bad there is already a device that does all of these things...probably better.

Forget E3. It never happened.

M$ pretty much just announced a new console but forgot to kill off kinect, add free games to Xbox Live Gold and offer free streaming for everyone. Oh yeah and they also forgot to drop the price $100.

Too bad there is already a device that does all of these things...probably better.
But, but TV!!!

Lol at all these technologically inept people who are now saying they are basically the same now. Probably the same people that think a celeron is pretty much as fast an an i3

I think most understand that they aren't the same on certain levels but they will have similar functionality to a large extent and play mostly the same games except for a few select exclusives. That's what the majority will care about and take away.

Lol at all these technologically inept people who are now saying they are basically the same now. Probably the same people that think a celeron is pretty much as fast an an i3
Third party developers over the years have shown a tendency to develop to the lowest common denominator. They do this because it's easier and saves money. So all that extra power just goes to waste. Outside of exclusives, everything else will be about the same. Just like it is now.

I'm sticking with the PS4 pre-order. For me it's just Sony has been doing a better job with their ecosystem for me. PS3, PS4, and Vita PS+ for one price of $50? Seems insane to me to get all that for so little. I also like the approach they have been taking later in the gen (new good exclusives still coming) and the whole courting the heck out of indies. I'm not one of those everything indie is amazing but their have been some real gems that I've loved. I think Sony will be getting more of those exclusives in the future. Although $100 won't break the bank it's also a nice incentive when both systems will have vastly identical libraries. The only XBOX exclusives I'm interested in right now would be Quantuam Break and maybe Sunset Overdrive but I'm going to try my best to stick to one console next gen. We shall see.

Third party developers over the years have shown a tendency to develop to the lowest common denominator. They do this because it's easier and saves money. So all that extra power just goes to waste. Outside of exclusives, everything else will be about the same. Just like it is now.
It is true that third-party developers rarely ever put extra effort into using a console's additional features. However, you are wrong in saying that it will be just like it is now. The current situation has the 360 at a noticeable advantage on multi-platform titles. The situation on the PS4 and XBox One will be much closer to parity. This will work in favor of the PS4, as its pricing is more competitive. (gamers will be able to purchase a PS4 for $100 less, and get multi-plat games that run just as well)

Sony's glaring mistakes on the design of the PS3 cost them dearly in multi-platform support. (as well as exclusive development) But they haven't made the same mistakes with the PS4. Sony's next box is a much more competitive package. The biggest obstacles for the XBox One now is the $100 difference, and possible hardware issues. The exterior of the XBox One has me concerned that the hardware design might have been rushed.

Installing from the disc is still happening. You can be certain of that. There's no reason for Microsoft to stop that policy. You will simply have to still have the disc in the system to play your installed copy.

Game sharing was always a ruse. The only way it is actually useful is if everyone buys in to the $500 hardware. If you are the only person you know who goes out and gets an XBox One, the proposed game "sharing" would have been completely useless. A feature that can only be used if everyone drinks the Kool-Aid.

Playing your game library without the disc? That is nice, but it also plays into Microsoft's tendency to release proprietary hard drives. Have fun constantly deleting games to make room for new ones, or paying through the nose to upgrade the HDD on your XBox One.

The "advantages" that Microsoft was promising weren't worth the costs they were demanding.

It is true that third-party developers rarely ever put extra effort into using a console's additional features. However, you are wrong in saying that it will be just like it is now. The current situation has the 360 at a noticeable advantage on multi-platform titles. The situation on the PS4 and XBox One will be much closer to parity. This will work in favor of the PS4, as its pricing is more competitive. (gamers will be able to purchase a PS4 for $100 less, and get multi-plat games that run just as well)

Sony's glaring mistakes on the design of the PS3 cost them dearly in multi-platform support. (as well as exclusive development) But they haven't made the same mistakes with the PS4. Sony's next box is a much more competitive package. The biggest obstacles for the XBox One now is the $100 difference, and possible hardware issues. The exterior of the XBox One has me concerned that the hardware design might have been rushed.
Right, but how exactly does that answer the original posters question/statement. The price point difference says nothing about the hardware and what it has to offer from a technological perspective. He was strictly talking about hardware tech.

Many developers/publishers have asked for more power and they got it with the X1/PS4, but yeah, I can see that most third party companies will end up taking lazy shortcuts so that they don't have to explain why one looks/runs better than the other.

Right, but how exactly does that answer the original posters question/statement. The price point difference says nothing about the hardware and what it has to offer from a technological perspective. He was strictly talking about hardware tech.
In terms of hardware tech, it seems clear that Sony has put considerably more engineering into the PS4 than Microsoft has put into the XBox One. The PS4's specs strongly indicate that it will be at least slightly more capable than the XBox One for those developers who go to the trouble of really pushing its hardware. The big advantage that the PS4 will have in terms of performance will be due to the application of the processing power as dictated by the OS. Microsoft is going so deeply into its commitment to multimedia that it is sacrificing some of the XBox One's processing power in favor of multimedia applicatoins. This makes insta-switching possible for different media programs, but it comes at a cost. Game's won't run quite as well on the XBox One due to its need for running other applications in tandem.

The real strength for the PS4 in terms of technology is its design, and its tighter focus on games. Sony has gone out of its way to make the PS4 more developer-friendly. They have designed the technology from the ground up to make as much of the system's power accessible immediately, with no need for coding tricks or workarounds. This makes the PS4 a much friendlier platform for ports. (as well as exclusive titles)

For the time being, the hardware technology advantage for the PS4 will be negligible. A few first-party titles will utilize the extra power it provides, but the majority of third party developers will just try to gain parity between XBox One and PC ports. Even more will be held back by cross-generational ports for the PS3 and 360. The PS4 does have a technology advantage over its competitor. But the price point is a more significant advantage where the general consumer is concerned.

It's looking like the European release date might be 11/13, considering there are a number of retailers displaying that date including one with an actual store sign. 

THese consoles are not using proprietary graphics or processing technology. They are x86 based, like a PC is. That is why they are not BC. You will soon be able to buy the same architecture family of AMD parts for a PC soon.

Your statement is like saying PC makers only develop for integrated graphics, so having a GTX680 doesn't matter.

Peter Moleneaux, long time xbox guy, has said himself the PS4 can run games faster in terms of framerate just based on its DDR5 alone. I believe his statement was the difference could be 30 vs 60 FPS

Now throw in 33% more processing power.

THese consoles are not using proprietary graphics or processing technology. They are x86 based, like a PC is. That is why they are not BC. You will soon be able to buy the same architecture family of AMD parts for a PC soon.

Your statement is like saying PC makers only develop for integrated graphics, so having a GTX680 doesn't matter.

Peter Moleneaux, long time xbox guy, has said himself the PS4 can run games faster in terms of framerate just based on its DDR5 alone. I believe his statement was the difference could be 30 vs 60 FPS

Now throw in 33% more processing power.
On the flip side, it was Peter Molyneux that said it. ;)

a9N5xQP.jpg

That's a bunch of horseshit. Faster RAM is not a huge bottleneck for FPS at all lol. GPU processing power is. Faster RAM will allow for quicker caching of assets and reduce load times. It also means pop-in and those nasty low-res textures will be a thing of the past. Welcome to PC gaming master race; the consoles finally made it.

Well, almost made it. ;)

That's a bunch of horseshit. Faster RAM is not a huge bottleneck for FPS at all lol. GPU processing power is. Faster RAM will allow for quicker caching of assets and reduce load times. It also means pop-in and those nasty low-res textures will be a thing of the past. Welcome to PC gaming master race; the consoles finally made it.

Well, almost made it. ;)
If it's anything like the other APUs then the ram does help, but from 30 to 60..... I don't think so.

Also looks like November 13th is the release date for the PS4.

I've been destroying my backlog by my own standards and yet I'll still have one in November. fuck you backlog. Next-gen resolution, do not start a backlog.
Same here. My backlog isn't too crazy, probably in the 15-20 range. But I'm definitely just buying one game at at time on the PS4.

I came close to doing that for a couple of years this gen when all I had was a 360--never had a backlog of more than 2-3 games. Gaming was more enjoyable as I didn't feel any pressure to get through a game to get to the next one on the shelf (I don't like having unused stuff like unplayed games cluttering up the condo).

I've been destroying my backlog by my own standards and yet I'll still have one in November. fuck you backlog. Next-gen resolution, do not start a backlog.
Hard to do when semi-interesting or triple A titles hit clearance or on sale for $5-15. I know that was my original plot for the 360, but then I got far behind in terms of what I wanted to play, then the sales just kept rolling in... Lol

PS+ is what's built up my backlog.  Along with just getting a PS3 in 2012 and buying games like the Uncharted Series, Killzone series, Infamous etc. super cheap.

I think with getting a PS4 day one I'll be able to keep up with it better.  Getting through my PS3 backlog will be the main harm to that as there's no way I'll be done with that by the time the PS4 is here.

Same here. My backlog isn't too crazy, probably in the 15-20 range. But I'm definitely just buying one game at at time on the PS4.

I came close to doing that for a couple of years this gen when all I had was a 360--never had a backlog of more than 2-3 games. Gaming was more enjoyable as I didn't feel any pressure to get through a game to get to the next one on the shelf (I don't like having unused stuff like unplayed games cluttering up the condo).
You're better off then me. I'm currently hovering around 38. I'd say 2 of those I'll probably keep forever, Spider-Man (PS1) and Ninja Gaiden Black (XBOX) which I've finished but don't want to part with for some reason. Luckily all my games are in a closet but still I hate looking at them...lol, too much clutter.

Hard to do when semi-interesting or triple A titles hit clearance or on sale for $5-15. I know that was my original plot for the 360, but then I got far behind in terms of what I wanted to play, then the sales just kept rolling in... Lol
Yeah I know this is what always gets me too...but I'm thinking for the PS4 I want to attempt to stop that cycle. 2,3, maybe maybe even 5 but beyond that it's just a waste at this point.

Yeah I know this is what always gets me too...but I'm thinking for the PS4 I want to attempt to stop that cycle. 2,3, maybe maybe even 5 but beyond that it's just a waste at this point.
Definitely. I've learned there's just no point in jumping on deals when I don't plan on playing the game right away.

Games are always going to get cheaper--at least for me since I pretty much only play the AAA games. So no rare JRPGs etc. that may jump in price or go out of print.

To many times I've jumped on a game for $30, and by the time I get around to playing it it's down to $20 everywhere and probably been on sale for even less.

PS+ is what's built up my backlog. Along with just getting a PS3 in 2012 and buying games like the Uncharted Series, Killzone series, Infamous etc. super cheap.

I think with getting a PS4 day one I'll be able to keep up with it better. Getting through my PS3 backlog will be the main harm to that as there's no way I'll be done with that by the time the PS4 is here.
I tend not to count PS+ towards my backlog, granted there are games I want to play in there but I think I'd get depressed if I counted every digital game as well. I guess it could be worse, currently my backlog spans 7 systems with a handful of PS1 games and Xbox games (like Brave Fencer Musashi & Hulk Ultimate Destruction) that I've yet to play.

I could probably even cut down a bit more if I did the right thing and outright purged games like Iron Man (360) but ya know sometimes you need to see how bad a game is for yourself. I've also knocked it down from over 100 games that I had last year so I'm headed in the right direction.

I think the real trouble started for everyone when in addition to a million cheap games we started getting all this smaller downloadable games that are awesome, Limbo, Journey, etc. etc.

It's good though because I find myself playing what I want now (just started The Last Of Us) as that is what this should all be about :)

Yeah, my backlog is at least pretty much only AAA titles at least. :D

Stuff like Killzone 2 & 3, Infamous 1&2, Resistance 1 & 2 and so on.  Just the big PS3 games I missed out on from not getting one until 2012.

Yeah Infamous 1&2...I need to get to those...as well as Fesitval Of Blood. I need to be ready for Second Son...lol. I need a gamecation! There are only so many hours in the day though :)

I've been toying with the idea of going Digital only next gen mainly to force myself to buy less or buy only what I have time to play. If I do go that route though I hope we'll continue to see some of the great deals that we've been getting recently on the PS store.

http://youtu.be/Csr6ahk5RMg

I don't really watch Jimmy Fallon, but I think the live Knack demo is worth watching. It looks promising. 

Also Watchdogs on PS4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox One

http://youtu.be/gRxkBVrJWuQ

http://youtu.be/TA2uMyBgABg

People don't understand that this isn't going to be the case this generation. Gone are the days of compressing textures to fit on a dvd. Gone are the days of programing for a weak architecture then converting it to another. They can now program for a high end PC, then basically adjust the visual slider lower for the PS4 and adjust it even lower for the 180 and the wii u. Can't wait until the first side by side comparisons of PS4 and 180 games.

So many great games to look forward to on the PS4! I want to play KNACK, The Order, Infamous Second Son, Killzone and more.

Out of all the games coming out on the PS4, I'm really looking forward to hearing more about The Order 1886. Going with how much is implied in the trailer, I can assume that it's going to be an online co-op game. Maybe it's just wishful thinking =P~

Out of all the games coming out on the PS4, I'm really looking forward to hearing more about The Order 1886. Going with how much is implied in the trailer, I can assume that it's going to be an online co-op game. Maybe it's just wishful thinking =P~
It's probably what I'm most excited about too. The trailer was obviously short and didn't show a whole lot, but the little bit we saw looked like more what I had hoped Dishonored would have been like.

bread's done
Back