PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

pixel density is different from screen resolution.
Right, but when people are talking about whether resolution makes a difference or not relative to screen size, typically the argument is over pixel density. If you take the same image (or game) and one is 1280x720 over say a 17 inch screen and the other is 1920x1080 over that same 17 inches, there is definitely a noticeable difference of course if you move too far back the difference in clarity is negligible, but if it's say a laptop you should definitely notice and if it's a monitor you'd quickly notice. I guess as a TV it depends on how far back you are sitting, but playing a good twelve-fifteen feet away isn't very comfortable to me anyway. It's too easy to become distracted.

Has it been stated anywhere that entire PS4 games HAVE to be completely installed from disc? Sure the XB1 versions do, but I have heard nothing to that effect on the PS4 end. Since they were able to design the PS4 with loading off the disc from the get go, I don't know of any reason they won't allow devs to do the same thing again unless they specifically state otherwise. I don't want to assume anything, but I think it's safer to say that you won't have to install the entire game than to say on PS4 that you will have to. So far these next gen platforms should have taught to not assume anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some advice..since I belong to Dell preferred advantage..they sent me an email this morning offering me the PS4 bundle with killzone and an extra controller for $519.97 but I also have a 200 egift card I can use on this purchase what do you think..good deal?

I ordered the Watch Dogs bundle, since it was delayed amazon switched me to the regular launch edition, it to is showing me the DS4 bundle when I click on it.

I contact Amazon Customer Support and they told me that I will get 2 controllers, and I asked if this was a glitch in the system (the glitch being my order on one page says the regular launch edition but then that taking me to the DS4 bundle) and they basically said to not worry, I will get two controllers and if anything is wrong with my order that I can contact them when my order arrives and get it fixed.

I think if you can contact CS and get them to say you will get two controllers you are golden. And save the transcript. :) Going to be a fun Nov 15 :)
Just contact them. Amazon says its a known issue and the link will be updated shortly. Good luck to anyone thinking Amazon will credit them $60.

I have never ordered a console from Dell before..I assume when they say they will have it on the 15th that they are telling the truth and that I wont lose my egift card if the order is never placed

Yea if they cancel you should get your gift card back. Don't see why you wouldn't. Would be extremely shady.

If your not worried about a day one kind of thing then get it. Hell I would to save $200.

Just went to my local Costco to get candy for the kids. I figured I would ask about stock and be told they have no idea what a playstation 4 is. In fact the guy in charge of electronics there mentioned he gets asked every day if they have pre-orders and is pretty sure they won't know if it's in Stock until at least the week of. Also he warned that in previous years at my Costco the manager had received a pallet of 30 Wii units and employees bought them for themselves before the door even opened.

Sent a pm to the guy earlier in the thread. Curious about his response to this.

Is anyone getting the PS4 Camera? Are there even any day-one uses for it? The most recent articles I find mention PlayRoom and game launching. Wondering if I should pre-order it, but I don't want to get burned again (bought Move for my PS3 and that was terrible).

Is anyone getting the PS4 Camera? Are there even any day-one uses for it? The most recent articles I find mention PlayRoom and game launching. Wondering if I should pre-order it, but I don't want to get burned again (bought Move for my PS3 and that was terrible).
Well all controllers support it, but I expect it to be worthless. There is just no need and the install base will probably be very small.

Yes, all games that you buy on a disk will have to be installed to the HDD. Don't be naive, that number estimate does not include DLC either. In order for the massive games to work properly they need to be put on a HDD were the data can be read at a much faster speed then in the bluray disk drive. 

I can not confirm this on the PS4 side, but on the Xbox One side of things the game will partially install the critical needed files first so you can start playing the game as the rest of the files are installed in the background. I am assuming its the same on the PS4 since its not a new tech process but I could be wrong. 

I would just wait then

Yes, all games that you buy on a disk will have to be installed to the HDD. Don't be naive, that number estimate does not include DLC either. In order for the massive games to work properly they need to be put on a HDD were the data can be read at a much faster speed then in the bluray disk drive.

I can not confirm this on the PS4 side, but on the Xbox One side of things the game will partially install the critical needed files first so you can start playing the game as the rest of the files are installed in the background. I am assuming its the same on the PS4 since its not a new tech process but I could be wrong.
Don't forget patches.

Just went to my local Costco to get candy for the kids. I figured I would ask about stock and be told they have no idea what a playstation 4 is. In fact the guy in charge of electronics there mentioned he gets asked every day if they have pre-orders and is pretty sure they won't know if it's in Stock until at least the week of. Also he warned that in previous years at my Costco the manager had received a pallet of 30 Wii units and employees bought them for themselves before the door even opened.

Sent a pm to the guy earlier in the thread. Curious about his response to this.

Depends what kind of store you have. I know some employees are dicks if they can make money. Easy way to solve that. Call the corporate number and express your concern.

A lot of people follow corporate to the letter. I just got to work so if I can figure out the store number I can check.

We don't know anything about numbers until they pop up in the system. Which could be anytime.

Why sell a Sony HD when Sony has been nice enough to allow us to use any regular HD, which aren't that expensive!  I fell bad for Xbox owners who would have to install the games?  They don't get that choice with their hard drive!

This could be bad as we get closer...  the 500 gb hd's are meaningless!  10 games max?  Plus PS+ games we will get, by the time Drive Club does come out we will all need new HD's!

Right, but when people are talking about whether resolution makes a difference or not relative to screen size, typically the argument is over pixel density. If you take the same image (or game) and one is 1280x720 over say a 17 inch screen and the other is 1920x1080 over that same 17 inches, there is definitely a noticeable difference of course if you move too far back the difference in clarity is negligible, but if it's say a laptop you should definitely notice and if it's a monitor you'd quickly notice. I guess as a TV it depends on how far back you are sitting, but playing a good twelve-fifteen feet away isn't very comfortable to me anyway. It's too easy to become distracted.
I agree. Viewing distance is the biggest factor, along with screen size. Playing any more than 2 or 3 feet away from my computer monitor is neigh impossible. Sitting 10 feet away from a 60" tv isn't terrible.

I wish there was something coming out that I wanted to play on PS4. There isn't much doubt in my mind that games are going to look better initially.

Finally got my paws on the DS4 and I gotta say that thing is awesome!!! It just felt so amazing in my hands. Plus the trackpad was very easy to reach, I thought it might feel awkward to use but it doesn't. I do however wish the triggers had a tiny bit more resistance to them, but its not really a big issue for me. I'm hoping Sony patches it to work fully with the PS3 soon.

I wish there was something coming out that I wanted to play on PS4. There isn't much doubt in my mind that games are going to look better initially.
Initially? :razz:

optkeu.jpg

Depends what kind of store you have. I know some employees are dicks if they can make money. Easy way to solve that. Call the corporate number and express your concern.

A lot of people follow corporate to the letter. I just got to work so if I can figure out the store number I can check.

We don't know anything about numbers until they pop up in the system. Which could be anytime.

I sent you a PM with the store location. The website has nothing about the store numbers sadly just locations. The guy did mention that the manager when faced with a mob of angry people out front tried to make things right and get them off employees but by then they had hidden them all around the store.

Initially? :razz:

optkeu.jpg
Yes, initially. I see this going the same way PS3 went, except it appears X1 is getting shortchanged this time around. Things will level out once developers have time with both systems.

What is everyone planning on getting with their PS4 at launch? Is it mainly Killzone that is drawing everyone?

ps4 not listed on dell website yet but i got a email from dell prefered saying ps4 coming soon the already sold out of x1 pre orders
yeah it says "Sold out" but I already have it saved in my shopping cart dont know if that means I can still go ahead and order it

Edit: well I lost out on it..its sold out..I didnt think so many people would try to get it considering the deal isnt all that great, only I would get it from them because of the gift card that I have

A 7GB install is 30 minutes on 8 year old hardware. Keep that in mind.

I'm just fine with it, I've been PC gaming since 04. This is nothing new.
Do remember though that the HDDs in the systems will be basically the same (it's still a 5400RPM drive) and it's unlikely that the drive will be that much faster. Which would also be a major reason why you would have to have these huge installs.

I sent you a PM with the store location. The website has nothing about the store numbers sadly just locations. The guy did mention that the manager when faced with a mob of angry people out front tried to make things right and get them off employees but by then they had hidden them all around the store.

Working on it for you, but if your worried I would seriously call corp.

Get it started so the word can go through the grape vine.

I guess I am just nervous about the quality of the downloaded PS4 games compared to the disc versions. For example, GTAV had all kinds of problems with its downloaded version.
If you have to install the entire game before you can play it off the disc it will make no difference which version you get. GTA V suffered because it was designed to load from two different sources and frankly Rockstar botched it and should have designed with single data sources in mind or prioritized the streaming so that the pop in was minimized.

Just contact them. Amazon says its a known issue and the link will be updated shortly. Good luck to anyone thinking Amazon will credit them $60.
If Amazon told people that they will receive 2 controllers, I guarantee you that Amazon will either ship out a 2nd controller, or give credit to buy another one. They always stick to their word, even if something turns out to be a mistake.

Working on it for you, but if your worried I would seriously call corp.

Get it started so the word can go through the grape vine.
Thank you for doing this again.

I called corporate and they said they would send the warehouse supervisor a notice about the situation letting them know that corporate will be keeping an eye for complaints with this should they occur near launch date.

from reading the discussion, i think i might the only person who has no problem deleting data from hd after i am done with the game. I rarely download dlcs for games, or any digital games at all. As of right now i own a 160gb ps3, anytime i see that i am running low on space, i just deleted the files.

Has anyone ever dealt with Squaretrade before?  I purchased an accidental damage protection plan for my ps4, and got the information on it today.  I only bought and purchased one, but they've sent me two, with two different policy numbers, one starting today, and one starting on the 15th.  Is this normal with them to be a bit redundant?

Got one of the bundles from Dell before they sold out!
Awesome u lucked out..note to self..if you see a deal, get it immediately..I seriously had NO idea it would sell out THAT quick since your not really saving anything..I was going to do it since I have my 200 egift card to use, but as soon as I decided to go for it, bam, its all sold out..learned a very important lesson here, hope they have other bundles soon for purchase

from reading the discussion, i think i might the only person who has no problem deleting data from hd after i am done with the game. I rarely download dlcs for games, or any digital games at all. As of right now i own a 160gb ps3, anytime i see that i am running low on space, i just deleted the files.
You are the only one. I literally have everything from PSN, save the two or three things I know I will never ever have even a desire to play, on my PS3.

I'm the same way, having 10 installed full games on my console will in no way really be a hindrance to me since I usually only focus on 1 or 2 games at a time between my WoW raiding and other interests. I mean its not like you uninstall the game and its suddenly gone forever, if you get the urge just uninstall a game you have not played in the last 10 weeks and reinstall a old game.

I really don;t think the install process is going to be a big pain either, I am fairly sure they will be using the chapterdized install method so that you can start playing pretty quickly while the rest of the game installs / downloads.

I'm the same way, having 10 installed full games on my console will in no way really be a hindrance to me since I usually only focus on 1 or 2 games at a time between my WoW raiding and other interests. I mean its not like you uninstall the game and its suddenly gone forever, if you get the urge just uninstall a game you have not played in the last 10 weeks and reinstall a old game.

I really don;t think the install process is going to be a big pain either, I am fairly sure they will be using the chapterdized install method so that you can start playing pretty quickly while the rest of the game installs / downloads.
I've been sitting here 10 minutes waiting for Batman to install and this is still pretty annoying. Not to go back to the ISP cap discussion again but also consider those sorts of factors into only being able to have a 8-9 games on your system. Hopefully you're right though and all the games will go to a brief initial install and then do the rest in the background.

I've been sitting here 10 minutes waiting for Batman to install and this is still pretty annoying. Not to go back to the ISP cap discussion again but also consider those sorts of factors into only being able to have a 8-9 games on your system. Hopefully you're right though and all the games will go to a brief initial install and then do the rest in the background.
i cannot remember the last time, i went baCK, and replay a game after i finish the single player story/ campaign. sometimes, i have the urge to just delete games, after i finish it, because i know i only have 160gb on my harddrive.

and they only give a 500 gb hd :/ they plan on selling giant 1 tb hard drives with sony name on it i bet
how disappointed are you with the news that BF4 PS4 multiplayer looks way better than even XB1's single player? I know you didnt care about the COD differences, because you were all about BF4.

how disappointed are you with the news that BF4 PS4 multiplayer looks way better than even XB1's single player? I know you didnt care about the COD differences, because you were all about BF4.
i play bf games on pc in ultra so my version smokes your version out of the water nice try :D

i am actually disappointed in the bf4 campaign length, it seemed even shorter than bf3

Oh wait, you actually play your games and don't just download them?

As you should.
like i said, the only downloadable/digital games i own are from voucher from certain collection games like the god of war saga. i rarely even participate in flips, unless i am running low on store credit from certain retailers like gs, or bb. I will actually sit out / ignore certain profitable trade, if i feel i have enough credit. I know it might sound weird , and strange, but that is how i am.

yes ps4 and x1 might have 64 players just like pc, But nothing beats all the servers pc bf games have and the great talented community pc has and makes it fun. i had bf3 on 360 when it came out in 2011 and got it on pc when i got my gaming rig this past feb and i was just amazed how better game was. Call of duty is my system game and bf is my fps pc game.

Don't have steam installed eh? :p
Oh Origin is so much better than Steam, I'm so glad I have to deal with it every day when I want to play Battlefield. :whee:

like i said, the only downloadable/digital games i own are from voucher from certain collection games like the god of war saga.
No PS+? You're doing it wrong then.

Five more hours and then hours of frustration when it doesn't work!!!

5ulrwg.jpg

bread's done
Back