PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

On my "Your Orders" page on amazon it says my estimated delivery date is Nov. 18th.

I didnt select anything more than the free 2 day shipping, is that what EVERYONES standard edition PS4 says or do you think I really will get it that soon ? I didnt preorder mine till July 8th.

I'm just wondering: when has the most expensive system done the best? To my knowledge, going by past generations, the less expensive ones always did better. Not trying to start a flame war with anyone, but I just don't see how the Xbox One will outsell the PS4. I couldn't care less about which console sells however much; it's just interesting to watch unfold.
To my knowledge it hasn't ever happened, but this has a lot to do with both market size and where interest lie. Like I always find it funny when people nail the Wii U for being a slightly more powerful 360 / PS3 or nail the XB1 for being weaker than the PS4 (though we will see if this even comes into play...), yet sales have historically shown that people don't really care about specs.

This can be seen as early as the GameBoy in black and white beating the full color, rechargeable battery (it was an optional add on), back lit super brick known as the GameGear. If I recall correctly the GB was like $50, where as the GameGear was like $250, so it just got killed in sales. Years later, the Vita is far more powerful than the 3DS (This isn't even up for debate), but the mere $50 - $90 dollar (lets not debate about memory cards in this figure) difference in price was more than enough to make people turn away from it.

This isn't to say the Xbox One can't pull it off, but at the same time I don't think the Wii U (aka the cheapest) will be the sales machine the Wii was in the slightest either.

Maybe they don't want someone to go into a store looking for a PS4, finding it unavailable and picking up a X1 or WiiU instead, especially parents. In any case, it doesn't seem good to release a product and then have none on shelves. If that was the case they should've announced it would only be available for preorder until a date it's actually on shelves.

Not sure they're holding back shipments. I took their words to mean they're just holding back PS4's from the preorders, but still being shipped to retailers at same time. I see no reason to hold back actual shipments.
Well it's possible they might withhold stock to make the PS4 seem more popular than it "actually" is. Sort of like how we knew the Wii U was doing bad when every place still had stock on release, week later, on Xmas, etc.

To my knowledge it hasn't ever happened, but this has a lot to do with both market size and where interest lie. Like I always find it funny when people nail the Wii U for being a slightly more powerful 360 / PS3 or nail the XB1 for being weaker than the PS4 (though we will see if this even comes into play...), yet sales have historically shown that people don't really care about specs.

This can be seen as early as the GameBoy in black and white beating the full color, rechargeable battery (it was an optional add on), back lit super brick known as the GameGear. If I recall correctly the GB was like $50, where as the GameGear was like $250, so it just got killed in sales. Years later, the Vita is far more powerful than the 3DS (This isn't even up for debate), but the mere $50 - $90 dollar (lets not debate about memory cards in this figure) difference in price was more than enough to make people turn away from it.

This isn't to say the Xbox One can't pull it off, but at the same time I don't think the Wii U (aka the cheapest) will be the sales machine the Wii was in the slightest either.

Well it's possible they might withhold stock to make the PS4 seem more popular than it "actually" is. Sort of like how we knew the Wii U was doing bad when every place still had stock on release, week later, on Xmas, etc.
agree on the price point, $100 might not seem like a lot to some cag members, but to your everyday casual gamers who only gets a few games a year like the typical call of duty, madden, nba 2k. $100 could be a deal breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just wondering: when has the most expensive system done the best? To my knowledge, going by past generations, the less expensive ones always did better. Not trying to start a flame war with anyone, but I just don't see how the Xbox One will outsell the PS4. I couldn't care less about which console sells however much; it's just interesting to watch unfold.
NES, SNES sort of, PS2 sort of, possibly PS3. Though I agree price usually trumps all other factors for sales.

They won't withhold stock this time. Demand is too high and they know the opportunity is there to achieve an early lead. No way they're going to withhold after everything that's happened between them and MS and WiiU. After E3, I'm sure they increased production above what they had originally planned.

NES, SNES sort of, PS2 sort of, possibly PS3. Though I agree price usually trumps all other factors for sales.

They won't withhold stock this time. Demand is too high and they know the opportunity is there to achieve an early lead. No way they're going to withhold after everything that's happened between them and MS and WiiU. After E3, I'm sure they increased production above what they had originally planned.
I agree. Just throwing it out there as a possible reason.

Wouldn't it be obvious they are holding stock back so mainstream consumers have the option to pre-order one when they do the marketing stuff? What's the point of them advertising the PS4 later on if nobody can buy one at that point? Might as well save the advertising money, put one ad out like Nintendo with the Wii U, and have most stores not do a midnight launch, lol.

Sometimes the "Your Orders" page on Amazon just shows orders placed in the last 30 days, there's a tab on the top of the page that you can change to "last 6 months," 2013, 2012, etc. If you didn't, you should check to see if that is all that happened. I'm surprised Amazon would just delete an order without any kind of notification.
Thanks for the tip, but that was the first thing I tried. To be fair, Amazon *might* have sent an e-mail regarding the two orders' cancellations, but since my Amazon account is tied to my sister's college e-mail address (dat Prime) I probably wouldn't know.

I told my dad about it yesterday, and he took the initiative in sending customer service an e-mail about it, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post once we hear back from Amazon about it.

Thanks for the tip, but that was the first thing I tried. To be fair, Amazon *might* have sent an e-mail regarding the two orders' cancellations, but since my Amazon account is tied to my sister's college e-mail address (dat Prime) I probably wouldn't know.

I told my dad about it yesterday, and he took the initiative in sending customer service an e-mail about it, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post once we hear back from Amazon about it.
Good luck. When I talked to Amazon customer service regarding them cancelling my xbox one order, they pretty much said "too bad" and told me I could sign up to be notified if it becomes available again.

I preordered PS4 launch edition awhile back but now am considering cancelling it since I realized I don't really need it now. I wanted to ask if anyone thinks this will be hard to find on release day? Thought of selling my preorder on eBay but noticed that lot of them have been relisted due to buyers not paying. Thoughts?

Got an email just now that my standard edition pre-order on Amazon has been guaranteed launch day delivery.  I only pre-ordered two or three days before they announced the date so I'm probably in the back half of that line so things are looking good for early availability.

I preordered PS4 launch edition awhile back but now am considering cancelling it since I realized I don't really need it now. I wanted to ask if anyone thinks this will be hard to find on release day? Thought of selling my preorder on eBay but noticed that lot of them have been relisted due to buyers not paying. Thoughts?
I would think they're going to be incredibly hard to find on release date. I'm looking back to when the Wii was just released, it was near impossible to find for at least 2 months. The PS4/XBone is going to be just as popular if not more so.

the pre order cards have a number on them and a set limit of cards so i doudt their will be any problems

The Target preorder cards have two numbers: a UPC to sell the pre-order and a coupon code to redeem formthe $25 gift card at console pickup. I have two cards from the same store. Nothing unique about either. They weren't writing names down or tracking order of sale.

Here's to hoping I get one on launch day

The Target preorder cards have two numbers: a UPC to sell the pre-order and a coupon code to redeem formthe $25 gift card at console pickup. I have two cards from the same store. Nothing unique about either. They weren't writing names down or tracking order of sale.

Here's to hoping I get one on launch day
But each card has the store address, and they know how many pre-sale cards they received. Since it's not an item they stick on the shelf it's pretty easy to deal with. Had no problem getting my Wii U at Target.

To those that pre-ordered at Walmart, I would suggest having a back up plan or something. I work there and I was talking to a buddy that is working in layaway this year and apparently they took six more pre-orders than we can fill because the managers and associates don't know what theyre doing. Basically even though all our pre-orders are full, the system will still allow you to pre-order one.

To those that pre-ordered at Walmart, I would suggest having a back up plan or something. I work there and I was talking to a buddy that is working in layaway this year and apparently they took six more pre-orders than we can fill because the managers and associates don't know what theyre doing. Basically even though all our pre-orders are full, the system will still allow you to pre-order one.
I preordered my xbox one the day they started taking orders in store, 1 week later they still were taking them. Will the people who ordered first get theres in order of who pre ordered? Im sure i was one of the first 3 who did order and if i dont get mine and someone who pre ordered later got theres i would not be happy.

With Wal-mart, it will be first come first serve. Most will likely give you your console as soon as they get it as long as its paid off.
But arent the stores suppose to hold the console for you on release day? it states that they will hold ur pre order till like october 10th or so then it will be returned to the sals floor.

With Wal-mart, it will be first come first serve. Most will likely give you your console as soon as they get it as long as its paid off.
man thats BS i was the 10th person to pre order at my walmart, im going to be pissed if they sell mine because aren't they suppose to hold it since its layaway. and i work that day to so i wont be able to pick it up later on that day around 5.

I preordered my xbox one the day they started taking orders in store, 1 week later they still were taking them. Will the people who ordered first get theres in order of who pre ordered? Im sure i was one of the first 3 who did order and if i dont get mine and someone who pre ordered later got theres i would not be happy.
To be honest I dont know what they're going to do to try and rectify the situation. But I know they aren't keeping track of when you pre-ordered, just that you did pre-order. So I would probably go early if I where you. I do know they have a certain amount held for pre-orders and some that were just going to be put on the shelf. So hopefully they'll just pull six from the ones that are supposed to be put on the shelf.

But who knows maybe your local Walmart actually has a competent management team and stopped taking pre-orders when they sold out.

EDIT: When you "pre-order" a PS4 or XB1 at Walmart your essentailly just putting it on layaway, so you should have until December 12 or something to finish paying it off.

But each card has the store address, and they know how many pre-sale cards they received. Since it's not an item they stick on the shelf it's pretty easy to deal with. Had no problem getting my Wii U at Target.

They have/had it on the shelves at 2 of 3 Targets in my area. Saw one on the peg myself 90 mins ago.

Target Cards are numbered on the back. My Xbox One card is 1 of 10.

Maybe some stores are numbering them. I have 3 from 2 diff stores. None are numbered.

agree on the price point, $100 might not seem like a lot to some cag members, but to your everyday casual gamers who only gets a few games a year like the typical call of duty, madden, nba 2k. $100 could be a deal breaker.
so a launch of a system says what the system will do in liveof the gen? look at ps3 it has been catching up to 360 thanks to price drops lol. mostof the people buying launch systems are die hard fans not causal people.

To be honest I dont know what they're going to do to try and rectify the situation. But I know they aren't keeping track of when you pre-ordered, just that you did pre-order. So I would probably go early if I where you. I do know they have a certain amount held for pre-orders and some that were just going to be put on the shelf. So hopefully they'll just pull six from the ones that are supposed to be put on the shelf.

But who knows maybe your local Walmart actually has a competent management team and stopped taking pre-orders when they sold out.

EDIT: When you "pre-order" a PS4 or XB1 at Walmart your essentailly just putting it on layaway, so you should have until December 12 or something to finish paying it off.
When i pre ordered they seemed pretty clueless on what to do, took me 35 mins to checkout. I also never did grab one of the pre order slips in the cardbopard ad since they told me i didnt need to, i was just told to goto layaway area and ask about it.

To those getting launch edition confirmation, what exactly is coming up for you in the email/on the order? I pre-ordered standard on July 30th, a while back I got an email saying they'd try to get me a system before December, and then the very next day I got an email with estimated delivery date of November 21, 2013 - November 23, 2013 (FSSS). That's still what it says on my order, but it also still says 'standard edition'. Is everyone just getting the email with the estimated delivery date, and it stays as standard edition, or am I out of luck?

Got an email just now that my standard edition pre-order on Amazon has been guaranteed launch day delivery. I only pre-ordered two or three days before they announced the date so I'm probably in the back half of that line so things are looking good for early availability.
Do you mean in late August? If so I guess I should definitely have a launch ship then. XD I'll probably move it up to 1 day, if I can raise the extra cash. I'm super pinching pennies as it is.

To those getting launch edition confirmation, what exactly is coming up for you in the email/on the order? I pre-ordered standard on July 30th, a while back I got an email saying they'd try to get me a system before December, and then the very next day I got an email with estimated delivery date of November 21, 2013 - November 23, 2013 (FSSS). That's still what it says on my order, but it also still says 'standard edition'. Is everyone just getting the email with the estimated delivery date, and it stays as standard edition, or am I out of luck?

Do you mean in late August? If so I guess I should definitely have a launch ship then. XD I'll probably move it up to 1 day, if I can raise the extra cash. I'm super pinching pennies as it is.
It was literally two or three days before they announced the launch date and I just figured hey why not at least put a pre-order in.

Here's the email:

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"PlayStation 4 (PS4): Standard Edition"
Estimated arrival date: November 15, 2013

Please visit Your Account (www.amazon.com/youraccount) for the most up-to-date delivery information about this order. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account at no additional cost.

if Sony was holding back tons of these systems they wouldn't have pushed back Japan's release until February. I don't think it will be hard to get one but it won't be easy.

It was literally two or three days before they announced the launch date and I just figured hey why not at least put a pre-order in.

Here's the email:
Well they definitely didn't upgrade me to release date, but like I said I was using FSSS, so that's probably why. My email didn't quite look like that though... do you mind telling me your order date? Just in case I decide to talk to CS. Also it still says standard edition for you, right?

Told my dad? Sister's e-mail? Wow....

if Sony was holding back tons of these systems they wouldn't have pushed back Japan's release until February. I don't think it will be hard to get one but it won't be easy.
There is an interview with Jack Tretton on ign where he says they are holding back stock so there will be plenty for the holiday season.

here is the article

There is an interview with Jack Tretton on ign where he says they are holding back stock so there will be plenty for the holiday season.

here is the article
It depends on what people mean when they say holding back stock. I think some here are referring to stock that is still shipped, but held back from preorders, is held back, while others think Sony is holding back actual shipments. I highly doubt they would hold back any shipments.

Well they definitely didn't upgrade me to release date, but like I said I was using FSSS, so that's probably why. My email didn't quite look like that though... do you mind telling me your order date? Just in case I decide to talk to CS. Also it still says standard edition for you, right?
August 15th, so five days I guess, and it definitely still says standard edition.

They upgraded me to launch day shipping, which added 20 more dollars than 2 day shipping in tax when they made the upgrade. @_@ So I asked them about it, and he said they'd refund me the extra paid amount after it ships. Amazon CS is the best. :D

Told my dad? Sister's e-mail? Wow....
Haha, yeah, if you don't apply anything I said to the context of what I actually said, that does sound pretty silly. But as it is and I'm sure you know, the reason I told my dad was because one of the two PS4s canceled was his, and because I already exhausted my "trial" of Prime with my own college e-mail address, it only made sense to use my sister's e-mail address and account for her trial of Prime too.

It depends on what people mean when they say holding back stock. I think some here are referring to stock that is still shipped, but held back from preorders, is held back, while others think Sony is holding back actual shipments. I highly doubt they would hold back any shipments.
I believe Sony has an estimated amount of PS4's they can produce by year's end. Let's say that amount is 3 million. If their plan is to hold back some inventory then I imagine that translates to releasing 2 million units initially and dripping the remaining 1 million units into distrubution between post-launch and 12/31.

Post-launch I think stores will get '6-unit shipments' every other week followed by weekly '6-unit shipemnts' the last two weeks before xmas.

SHOUT OUT to Cheapy/Abrams

I believe Sony has an estimated amount of PS4's they can produce by year's end. Let's say that amount is 3 million. If their plan is to hold back some inventory then I imagine that translates to releasing 2 million units initially and dripping the remaining 1 million units into distrubution between post-launch and 12/31.

Post-launch I think stores will get '6-unit shipments' every other week followed by weekly '6-unit shipemnts' the last two weeks before xmas.

SHOUT OUT to Cheapy/Abrams
They have months worth of preorders to fill. They are holding back inventory to have consoles on shelves at launch and throughout the weeks after. Thus, they ship all the consoles they have each week and some go towards preorders while some go on shelves.

Everything they produce will be sent. They won't hold back 1 million for later. The consoles that ship in December won't be produced until just before they ship.

They have months worth of preorders to fill. They are holding back inventory to have consoles on shelves at launch and throughout the weeks after. Thus, they ship all the consoles they have each week and some go towards preorders while some go on shelves.

Everything they produce will be sent. They won't hold back 1 million for later. The consoles that ship in December won't be produced until just before they ship.
Wait... what??? Half of your reply agrees with what I said and the other half is you contradicting yourself.

Wait... what??? Half of your reply agrees with what I said and the other half is you contradicting yourself.
Not contradicting myself at all. They're holding back consoles for launch, meaning they're holding back selling preorders right now in order to have consoles on shelves at launch and each week thereafter. They're still shipping every console, they're just dividing the shipments into preorder units and shelf units.

They're not going to produce millions of units and then hold them back for a few months from retail. They will get each batch of systems shipped to retailers asap for them. They can only produce ~1 million per month.

Not contradicting myself at all. They're holding back consoles for launch, meaning they're holding back selling preorders right now in order to have consoles on shelves at launch and each week thereafter. They're still shipping every console, they're just dividing the shipments into preorder units and shelf units.

They're not going to produce millions of units and then hold them back for a few months from retail. They will get each batch of systems shipped to retailers asap for them. They can only produce ~1 million per month.
I imagine by November 1st we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Thankfully some retail stores don't mind inquiries about the amount of units in transit nor the number of imprisoned consoles being held in the backroom by a mere 'street date'.

For the fortunate that were able to purchase a PS4/X1 reservation card from Target; be sure to call your store a week before launch and a second time the night before launch. Remind them to look at the address on the reservation cards as customers show up to redeem their resevered consoles. Sadly enough the only thing stopping someone from taking your beloved reservation is the employee's attention to detail. All cards have the same barcode which means the scanner will be unbiased to where the card originated and since the physical cards will be returned to the customer as a "collector's card" there will be no way of tracking the unaccounted console at the other Target.

I imagine by November 1st we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Thankfully some retail stores don't mind inquiries about the amount of units in transit nor the number of imprisoned consoles being held in the backroom by a mere 'street date'.

For the fortunate that were able to purchase a PS4/X1 reservation card from Target; be sure to call your store a week before launch and a second time the night before launch. Remind them to look at the address on the reservation cards as customers show up to redeem their resevered consoles. Sadly enough the only thing stopping someone from taking your beloved reservation is the employee's attention to detail. All cards have the same barcode which means the scanner will be unbiased to where the card originated and since the physical cards will be returned to the customer as a "collector's card" there will be no way of tracking the unaccounted console at the other Target.
I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson from the Wii U debacle, and aren't doing that this time around.

I preordered a PS4 at BB in-store months ago (in june); I actually have one on amazon though (launch edition), and so I was thinking of returning my BB one. Is it possible to return a preorder at BB even 3 months later? (I would assume you should be able to; but BB has a 30(?) day return policy...)

bread's done
Back