PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

I preordered a PS4 at BB in-store months ago (in june); I actually have one on amazon though (launch edition), and so I was thinking of returning my BB one. Is it possible to return a preorder at BB even 3 months later? (I would assume you should be able to; but BB has a 30(?) day return policy...)
15 unless you're "elite" (bah) but like Timbo said the pre-order is just a deposit and you haven't actually purchased anything until you pay for it in full and pick it up.

I imagine by November 1st we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Thankfully some retail stores don't mind inquiries about the amount of units in transit nor the number of imprisoned consoles being held in the backroom by a mere 'street date'.

For the fortunate that were able to purchase a PS4/X1 reservation card from Target; be sure to call your store a week before launch and a second time the night before launch. Remind them to look at the address on the reservation cards as customers show up to redeem their resevered consoles. Sadly enough the only thing stopping someone from taking your beloved reservation is the employee's attention to detail. All cards have the same barcode which means the scanner will be unbiased to where the card originated and since the physical cards will be returned to the customer as a "collector's card" there will be no way of tracking the unaccounted console at the other Target.
I remember people were taking Wii U pre-order cards at one Target and redeeming it at another. Then do it again at another Target. The same thing will probably happen to Walmart, the pre-order slips are being sold on eBay right now.

15 unless you're "elite" (bah) but like Timbo said the pre-order is just a deposit and you haven't actually purchased anything until you pay for it in full and pick it up.
Logic would dictate that a pre-order is not a purchase but in the past (not sure if it is still true) best buy's computer system defines pre-orders as purchases. If you are past the return policy date, you won't be able to get your deposit back. Manager override will be needed to give you store credit from past experiences with video game pre-orders I done that I wanted to cancel after the return policy of 15-60 days (depending on if you have premiere silver).

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember people were taking Wii U pre-order cards at one Target and redeeming it at another. Then do it again at another Target. The same thing will probably happen to Walmart, the pre-order slips are being sold on eBay right now.

Logic would dictate that a pre-order is not a purchase but in the past (not sure if it is still true) best buy's computer system defines pre-orders as purchases. If you are past the return policy date, you won't be able to get your deposit back. Manager override will be needed to give you store credit from past experiences with video game pre-orders I done that I wanted to cancel after the return policy of 15-60 days (depending on if you have premiere silver).
Im LMAO on these dumbasses that are actually bidding on a ticket. People cant wait a couple of weeks or months to buy a console at MSRP.

I have two xbox ones already paid for, can anyone tell me a reason why i could need a ps4 ( not interested in any exclusives already announced). Still have a bunch of credit at a b&m store and trying to decide if i should pull the trigger on a zelda wii u or get the ps4.

This is coming from a owner of 3 ps3's and 3 xbox 360's, i am too lazy to move my systems from room to room in my house.

I have two xbox ones already paid for, can anyone tell me a reason why i could need a ps4 ( not interested in any exclusives already announced). Still have a bunch of credit at a b&m store and trying to decide if i should pull the trigger on a zelda wii u or get the ps4.

This is coming from a owner of 3 ps3's and 3 xbox 360's, i am too lazy to move my systems from room to room in my house.
Haha, wow. Well if you don't care about exclusives then probably not since that's the main reason you buy a console.

Haha, wow. Well if you don't care about exclusives then probably not since that's the main reason you buy a console.
Right, just wasn't sure if there was a nice vita tv feature or future exclusive just announced i might be missing out on, Huge Gran Turismo fan but looks like that will be coming out on the ps3, just haven't really paid any attention to the PS4 news of late. Mostly used my ps3 for racing games, and mlb** each year as xbox had really no worthy baseball games, of course I played some ot the 100ish free ps plus games I have and all the final fantasy psn games

Would say I spend more than 50% of my time playing Halo (swat) or NHL/Fifa

Right, just wasn't sure if there was a nice vita tv feature or future exclusive just announced i might be missing out on, Huge Gran Turismo fan but looks like that will be coming out on the ps3, just haven't really paid any attention to the PS4 news of late. Mostly used my ps3 for racing games, and mlb** each year as xbox had really no worthy baseball games, of course I played some ot the 100ish free ps plus games I have and all the final fantasy psn games

Would say I spend more than 50% of my time playing Halo (swat) or NHL/Fifa
Well here's the problem, we just don't really know how a lot of the features that could be really cool are actually going to work. Being able to play everything on Vita sounds great but if it's anything like with the PS3 no one will want to use it. We know the PS4 will have a suite of media features similar to the Xone but unlike Microsoft they haven't spent a whole press conference talking them up so we don't really know what that entails. Driveclub has the potential to be pretty amazing but Forza 5 naturally looks really good as well and if you're platform agnostic you at least know what you're getting with a Forza game. MLB The Show is a big advantage if you're into baseball games and one of the main reasons I switched to PS3 after having a 360 for years and Plus will hopefully continue to be well worth the subscription cost. Killzone looks like it might finally be the challenger to Halo that Sony's wanted it to be since it's conception but again we just don't know.

Sharing all those details really bit MS in the butt from a PR standpoint but we do know a lot more about the Xone than the PS4 two months from launch.

Well here's the problem, we just don't really know how a lot of the features that could be really cool are actually going to work. Being able to play everything on Vita sounds great but if it's anything like with the PS3 no one will want to use it. We know the PS4 will have a suite of media features similar to the Xone but unlike Microsoft they haven't spent a whole press conference talking them up so we don't really know what that entails. Driveclub has the potential to be pretty amazing but Forza 5 naturally looks really good as well and if you're platform agnostic you at least know what you're getting with a Forza game. MLB The Show is a big advantage if you're into baseball games and one of the main reasons I switched to PS3 after having a 360 for years and Plus will hopefully continue to be well worth the subscription cost. Killzone looks like it might finally be the challenger to Halo that Sony's wanted it to be since it's conception but again we just don't know.

Sharing all those details really bit MS in the butt from a PR standpoint but we do know a lot more about the Xone than the PS4 two months from launch.
Awesome, I still can't decide if I want one at launch or not, This is coming from someone with there 60gb launch ps3 unit still being used as the main ps3 machine, Sony has just not done enough to convince me, really wish you guys could :)

I know most will say its what Sony did not do that should have made my decision, but atleast thats behind us now

Awesome, I still can't decide if I want one at launch or not, This is coming from someone with there 60gb launch ps3 unit still being used as the main ps3 machine, Sony has just not done enough to convince me, really wish you guys could :)

I know most will say its what Sony did not do that should have made my decision, but atleast thats behind us now
You might as well wait. Nothing big is really coming out and it could be months before you have a real reason to purchase one.

Dumb question but you guys think target or walmart still have in store pre-orders? Looks like my options for pre-ordering now are quite slim. Would rather not have to go hunting.

Im LMAO on these dumbasses that are actually bidding on a ticket. People cant wait a couple of weeks or months to buy a console at MSRP.
I can't laugh at them, usually I would. But when people are paying money for a UPC code printed on a piece of paper...its hard to make light of it. The auction ones being sold at least don't look like legit buyers. At least those being exploited for a PS4 preorder will theoretically get the system. I hope any idiot who actually bought one of the UPCs knows how to try and get their money back.

Walmart associate here. Our department lead got the word PS4 pre-orders were cut off for our store yesterday morning. We hadn't sold one for over a week (very small town), so I'm assuming it's at least regional, quite possibly the whole allocation is spoken for.

Re: UPC tickets--pre-orders are through the layaway system. Name, phone number and address are attached to each order. Your Electronics department will have to be seriously incompetent to mess up those pre-orders, as the layaway tickets are supposed to be attached to the special allocation for pre-orders as they come in. No employee should take the UPC ticket alone.

We have a launch console ordered since the first day ordering opened up, but I'm trying to decide if I want to cancel or not.

We have a game backlog months long, and ps+ adding more to that pile every month isn't helping.

If we could play our ps3 library on the ps4, I wouldn't blink an eye, but I haven't seen one MUST HAVE game coming out for the ps4 at launch yet.

I was going to hold out on diablo 3 for the ps4 enhanced version, but I think we won't want to wait that long. (And I haven't seen any upgrade policy going from the ps3 diablo 3 to the ps4 diablo anywhere yet.)

I like that the ps4 looks to be the new powerhouse console, but I'm thinking w might not see something we HAVE to have on it till 1st quarter 1014, and there might be bundle deal$ by then.

Dumb question but you guys think target or walmart still have in store pre-orders? Looks like my options for pre-ordering now are quite slim. Would rather not have to go hunting.
On Monday, I preordered at Wal-Mart. They still had a buttload. Target, on the other hand, only had like two left (as of August 31st).

I wa in GS today and the Sony rep (who already has a PS4) told them the Demo units would be in the store October 22nd. (I'm getting an X1, but this was news to me.)

This is what I want to know, history tells us that we don't see ANY deals for games for consoles that just launched. The Wii and PS3 had 0 deals for games, last year the Wii U had none.

The interesting thing is that say we do see BF4 for PS3/360 for $30. We could actually buy that version and then do the digital upgrade for $10. I know bestbuy and gamestop are doing those programs. I know PSN is to digitally. In turn this would actually force retailers to do PS4 and XB1 deals anyway in order to match PS3+360 games +$10 upgrade.

I plan on buying BF4 with my PS4, but if I can snag Madden or COD at black friday for $30 or $40, I will do that.

PS4 to support unencrypted HDMI output for gameplay !!!!!

For anyone who cares, who does video capturing, who makes Youtube videos, etc., this is HUGE news and a major improvement over the PS3.  Blu-ray movies will continue to be encrypted, but gameplay HDMI output will be unencrypted.  You can capture in full HDMI glory without jumping through hoops like on the PS3.

More here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/sony-ps4-hdmi-capture-gesture-control/#continued

(eyeroll b4noobs ask "why don't u just use the Share feature")

For anyone who cares, who does video capturing, who makes Youtube videos, etc., this is HUGE news and a major improvement over the PS3. Blu-ray movies will continue to be encrypted, but gameplay HDMI output will be unencrypted. You can capture in full HDMI glory without jumping through hoops like on the PS3.

More here:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/sony-ps4-hdmi-capture-gesture-control/#continued

Very nice! Glad to hear this!

And for all that don't know the difference, capturing raw footage with a capture card allows for video editing.

For anyone who cares, who does video capturing, who makes Youtube videos, etc., this is HUGE news and a major improvement over the PS3. Blu-ray movies will continue to be encrypted, but gameplay HDMI output will be unencrypted. You can capture in full HDMI glory without jumping through hoops like on the PS3.

More here:

LOL. I remember the rumor from just a few days ago that said Sony was having trouble adding gameplay capturing and it probably wouldn't be available until next year.

This is what I want to know, history tells us that we don't see ANY deals for games for consoles that just launched. The Wii and PS3 had 0 deals for games, last year the Wii U had none.

The interesting thing is that say we do see BF4 for PS3/360 for $30. We could actually buy that version and then do the digital upgrade for $10. I know bestbuy and gamestop are doing those programs. I know PSN is to digitally. In turn this would actually force retailers to do PS4 and XB1 deals anyway in order to match PS3+360 games +$10 upgrade.

I plan on buying BF4 with my PS4, but if I can snag Madden or COD at black friday for $30 or $40, I will do that.
Thats actually not true. Shortly after the Vita launch (like 2 weeks), Target had a B2G1 free deal, which also happened for the WIi U I believe. Also we have those semi cross buy games this gen, which could ultimately lead to a good deal with Black Friday and such.

most people found ways to work around it for ps3 and would have found ways for ps4
True. The change in the PS4 though means way less hassle, less cables running back and forth, and no need to buy anything extra. My interest in a PS4 has increased by a ton after learning this.

most people found ways to work around it for ps3 and would have found ways for ps4
The work around was to use composite cables... Which the PS4 doesn't have this ability natively.

In theory, you could buy an HDMI to composite converter, but there is no telling if that would have actually worked.

There were only two work arounds and neither was exactly amazing.

The first and most common was simply using composite cables. This typically resulted in having to find / buy them for the PS3, which wasn't hard, but you generally didn't want to cheap out and get some that hamper your footage either. This also resulted in companies like Elgato tossing in a convertor to allow nonHDMI capture.

The other was getting a splitter / sometimes that removes the HDCP signal. These can range 20+ dollars and I might be overly cautious, but I rather not have a record of buying one. I rather not have to explain why I am trying to circumvent HDCP when I have simpler solutions.

The work around was to use composite cables... Which the PS4 doesn't have this ability natively.

In theory, you could buy an HDMI to composite converter, but there is no telling if that would have actually worked.
There is also the splitter like I mentioned.

Sony confirms that they'll start using Gaikai cloud services to stream certain PS3 games to PS4, Vita and Vita TV devices in North America starting next year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/sony-plans-to-launch-gaikai-ps3-library-in-2014
Hell to the yes. The last ball I was waiting for to drop was they mentioned a Gaikai annoucement might come at TGS. This is great news. Downside for those who have tons of PS3 games and do not want to re-buy them, suppose they can just plug in the PS3. But for me I entered PS3's generation around halfway through so I missed out on a ton of good games.

Anyone know if Sony will be making/selling wired controllers for the PS4?  Every retailer I've searched only shows the wireless controller.  (FYI.  I would only be interested in Sony controllers; not interested in any third party ones.  Thx)

Edit:

I just found out that Sony never even made wired controllers for the PS3?!?!  WTF.  I HATE wireless.  Damn.  I can't believe that's going to be the reason I get an XB1. I pray MS doesn't make a wired controller for the XB1 so I don't have to go there...  :cry:

Anyone know if Sony will be making/selling wired controllers for the PS4? Every retailer I've searched only shows the wireless controller. (FYI. I would only be interested in Sony controllers; not interested in any third party ones. Thx)

Edit:

I just found out that Sony never even made wired controllers for the PS3?!?! WTF. I HATE wireless. Damn. I can't believe that's going to be the reason I get an XB1. I pray MS doesn't make a wired controller for the XB1 so I don't have to go there... :cry:
The wireless controller can be used wireless or wired. Just stick a USB cable into the PS4 and a Mini-USB into the DualShock 4. That's the way it was with PS3 and the same with PS4.

The wireless controller can be used wireless or wired. Just stick a USB cable into the PS4 and a Mini-USB into the DualShock 4. That's the way it was with PS3 and the same with PS4.
Oh. Whew. Now I feel like I sounded too melodramatic in my previous post. Thanks for that great news! Still on the PS4 train then! :razz:

Anyone know if Sony will be making/selling wired controllers for the PS4? Every retailer I've searched only shows the wireless controller. (FYI. I would only be interested in Sony controllers; not interested in any third party ones. Thx)

Edit:

I just found out that Sony never even made wired controllers for the PS3?!?! WTF. I HATE wireless. Damn. I can't believe that's going to be the reason I get an XB1. I pray MS doesn't make a wired controller for the XB1 so I don't have to go there... :cry:

even Thu am little late replying i use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053U9ZH6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works great too play while charging use it in my pulse headset also

Ah, thanks! I'll have to see how I plan to layout my console and play area. This one is 6' long while the other is 15'. I'll have to see how much I really need.
Make sure you buy a Micro USB cord for the PS4, not the Mini USB that the PS3 uses.

Make sure you buy a Micro USB cord for the PS4, not the Mini USB that the PS3 uses.

Ah yes, it seems that Sony changed it from mini USB to micro USB. A welcomed changed as micro USBs are a lot more common since smartphones use them.

thank you for sharing that missed that detail, thought it would been the same. either way search amazon for a longer cord, their $10 or less an are nice for when you forget too charge.

bread's done
Back