PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Just 100% my first PS4 game, Contrast.  The game isn't very polished and I got trapped in the environment a few times but was able to free myself.  I did have the game glitch on me towards the end of the final act and I had to redo part of it.  Overall I would give the game a 5/10.

The game did have a few clever trophies though. 
They gave nods to Pitfall! and Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple weird issues today. 

First my PS4 would not display on my HDTV. The light was white. Turned it off to standby mode, turned it on again and it worked on.

Later on when I tried to set up my internet connection it froze. Couldn't power it off with the button so I had to unplug it.

Count me as well! Fun and cute story line. Of course every time I get one of the items, The sound it makes when it is going into your inventory reminds me of Dark Cloud. :)

All my downloaded games have two entries in the dl list. Once as downloaded ane another as installed. Perhaps this is what you saw?

One download is the game the other is the patch.

My Contrast had 2 files too; I thought it was a repeat but I looked closer, and one was 2+GB and the other was about 600MB i think...maybe one was a "setup" file or something.

I believe the smaller one is the title update like version 1.01. Same for resogun and black light
Thanks guys. I could have swore the file sizes were the same, but you're probably right.

For anyone that pre ordered there ps4 at target, did you have any trouble picking one up? I know when the wii u came out some targets were letting people pick up there pre orders at a different store then they pre ordered at by mistake. My brother has a xbox one pre ordered at target and we just want to know if he will run into any problems.
I preordered and had no issues. Picked mine up about 2 hours after store opening. I have an X1 preordered with them as well.

My PS4 has this weird fan thing going on during NBA. It would turn on for a few seconds along with the high pitched whirring and turn off just as quickly. I feel like this will wear it down very quickly

Zazoo said:
I didn't even realize that was a trophy until it popped up,on my screen. I realized quickly how long it takes to power them back up, so I just stopped using them lol. Basically they are my hail mary pass. Since I didn't use them to much in the beginning of the game, I usually find other ways, even if I die several times. Just makes me more determined :D
So there's another trophy for using ONLY crystal power-up attacks. I don't see how that one is possible given how hard it is to fill the meters before using them. But maybe some of the upgrades you can find help with that. While I wouldn't use them very much, there were a few places last night where we kept getting one-hit killed and they are nice to use there.

LordVila said:
Just 100% my first PS4 game, Contrast. The game isn't very polished and I got trapped in the environment a few times but was able to free myself. I did have the game glitch on me towards the end of the final act and I had to redo part of it. Overall I would give the game a 5/10.

The game did have a few clever trophies though.
They gave nods to Pitfall! and Banjo-Kazooie.
I have all but one trophy - the "2012 logo" one. Do you remember where that was?

After about 10 hours of combined use Friday and Saturday, my PS4 made a loud "pop" last night and immediately shut off. After that, no power would go to the unit at all.

I called Sony support, but it looked like it would take at least a couple of weeks to get a replacement. Instead, I brought it into the Sony Store today. While they were out of replacement units, they said I should be getting one in the shipment after next, sometime in the next 2 to 4 days (the queue of broken consoles is long enough that the whole next shipment is already allocated).

If you have a dead PS4 and a Sony Store near you, that's probably the fastest way to get a replacement.

darkshadow88 said:
After about 10 hours of combined use Friday and Saturday, my PS4 made a loud "pop" last night and immediately shut off. After that, no power would go to the unit at all.
Ouch - if this starts happening more and more that is not good. It is one thing for there to be a relatively large amount of DOA consoles - as long as the ones that work are solid that isn't too huge of an issue. But if they now start failing after moderate use then that is a different story. I'll keep stress-testing mine I suppose (by not only playing games on it but watching movies, etc).

Couple weird issues today. 

First my PS4 would not display on my HDTV. The light was white. Turned it off to standby mode, turned it on again and it worked on.

Later on when I tried to set up my internet connection it froze. Couldn't power it off with the button so I had to unplug it.

from reading all these horror stories of the ps4, sony really need to address the issue quickly with some kind of solution, either offer replacement, or tack on another year of free warranty, before this ends up like the xbox 360 rrod fiasco all over again.

from reading all these horror stories of the ps4, sony really need to address the issue quickly with some kind of solution, either offer replacement, or tack on another year of free warranty, before this ends up like the xbox 360 rrod fiasco all over again.
While it is likely the vocal minority we are hearing from, it has been enough for me to keep my PS4 unopened in its box.

Annoyed today. I had 3 PS4's on pre-order. One for me one for my sister. I was going to cancel the third, but my friend told me to keep it he wants to buy it from me and sell it. I said nah, I don't have that kind of money to burn in case you back out. He insisted and insisted. I said "fine" and decided to keep it.

It arrives on Monday from Amazon and he tells me he doesn't want it anymore. Nice. Now I have to pay return shipping probably since it "wasn't my fault."

Not a happy person
You should have no problem selling in it for $500 on CL. Make a little profit out of it & get ur friend jelly.

While it is likely the vocal minority we are hearing from, it has been enough for me to keep my PS4 unopened in its box.
i understand it is/might be in the minority, but it still looks really bad on the company as a whole. especially in this day and age, with social media. some people on the internet are now reporting that instead of offering free replacement, the sony rep they spoke them are trying to sell them a 2 year plan warranty at a discount. LOL

I have all but one trophy - the "2012 logo" one. Do you remember where that was?
It is near the beginning of the game. You activate the Phonograph to get to a Luminary and then you jump over a iron gate and go up some stairs and flip a switch and the trophy should pop.

They sold 1 million consoles in 1 day, not everyone will get a working unit. Thats just how it is with electronics, so calm down and lets give it some more time before we start comparing it to the RROD.

So I finally got around to hooking up my PS4 I got from Amazon on Friday and I connected everything correctly, yet I am not getting any picture on my TV yet I can hear the sound from the PS4.  The system is glowing with a white light and I am not sure what could be wrong with it.

I looked a couple pages back and did see someone a couple posts above me have the same problem but I cant get mine to show up on the tv.  Any one have any other fix for this?

Edit:  System is now working.  I had my PS4 running through my Sony sub and it wasn't displaying a picture yet my PS3 does just fine so I just connected my PS4 directly to my TV and that seems to be working just fine now.

What purpose does leaving it in the box serve? If you never try it out you'll never know if yours is faulty or not. Which means that if it is you're waiting even longer to get a replacement or to get it fixed.

What purpose does leaving it in the box serve? If you never try it out you'll never know if yours is faulty or not. Which means that if it is you're waiting even longer to get a replacement or to get it fixed.
I assumed he was trying to decide whether to sell it and have it be someone else's problem, or keep it.

So there's another trophy for using ONLY crystal power-up attacks. I don't see how that one is possible given how hard it is to fill the meters before using them. But maybe some of the upgrades you can find help with that. While I wouldn't use them very much, there were a few places last night where we kept getting one-hit killed and they are nice to use there.
Yea the only way I see it possible for getting that trophy is after you have collected all the items for these 2 gadgets.

Harvester - lets Knack collect Sunstones from defeated enemies.

& another one that allows you to have 4 dials of collected sunstone power (cant remember the name of it)

Yea the 1 hit kills can get old after the 5th or 6th time. Ive used the power ups a couple times in situations like that. Plus i sheepishly admit I used them the first time I encountered the bats. UGG i don't know what it was but i just couldn't get it through my brain back to my hands in time to kill them at first. Stupid Sonar.

Annoyed today. I had 3 PS4's on pre-order. One for me one for my sister. I was going to cancel the third, but my friend told me to keep it he wants to buy it from me and sell it. I said nah, I don't have that kind of money to burn in case you back out. He insisted and insisted. I said "fine" and decided to keep it.

It arrives on Monday from Amazon and he tells me he doesn't want it anymore. Nice. Now I have to pay return shipping probably since it "wasn't my fault."

Not a happy person
You should probably look at that friendship again and see if it's worth having.

I played a good chunk of AC4 today and I gotta say it looks fantastic.  I know its a "port" but I played the 360 version as well and to me the PS4 version blows it out of the water.

are you guys having trouble connecting to the "conquest"mode on BF 4?? I can't. all the other modes work just fine..

They're making the gaming equivalent of schrodinger's cat. There is nothing wrong with that and it might even become a meme! Don't stop progress.

You should probably look at that friendship again and see if it's worth having.
This. My one "friend" pull the same shit and I love how I get burned and have a bunch of problems because that dude is a fuck ing c**t.

NFS Rivals is a lot of fun. Last one I played was Hot Pursuit and that game got old quick. At least with this one, there is so much more to do.

Far as my PS4, I have run it for nearly 30 hours now and played multiple games without any issues. Hopefully it stays this way.

For some reason, it feels like standby mode is still glitchy. I tried it earlier and when i went active, i had to redo my network connection. It also takes a long time to be on again. Im gonna avoid it until a new patch is released that wil address other issues post launch.

For some reason, it feels like standby mode is still glitchy. I tried it earlier and when i went active, i had to redo my network connection. It also takes a long time to be on again. Im gonna avoid it until a new patch is released that wil address other issues post launch.

can standby mode be turned off? Mine comes tomorrow and I'd prefer to just not mess with it

Seriously, does anyone have one that doesn't say Yantai in Sept. 2013?
Just checked mine: Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013. Underside of shiny top is scratched up a lot.

Does anyone else's PS4 have a rectangle that looks different from the rest and changes in size as you tilt the PS4, immediately to the right of the power button?

In the options under PSN you can add a pin.
Is adding a PIN the only way to prevent people from gaining access to your account if you need to return your PS4? No option to not auto sign-in?
can standby mode be turned off? Mine comes tomorrow and I'd prefer to just not mess with it
I looked into this yesterday.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5050

• Hint: If there are no check-marks set in the settings under (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], there is no need for Standby Mode and the system turns off completely.

I had the PS4 on for about 8-9 hours now, not a problem. Although I notice the back is throwing some hot air.

Not worried or anything, just noticed. Love the console.

I also love how the gamercards in our sigs have PS4 built right in so it connects between PS3 and PS4.

Just checked mine: Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013. Underside of shiny top is scratched up a lot.

Does anyone else's PS4 have a rectangle that looks different from the rest and changes in size as you tilt the PS4, immediately to the right of the power button?

Is adding a PIN the only way to prevent people from gaining access to your account if you need to return your PS4? No option to not auto sign-in?

I looked into this yesterday.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5050
  • Hint: If there are no check-marks set in the settings under (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], there is no need for Standby Mode and the system turns off completely.

excellent info. Thank you 👍👍

Apparently, the issues with the flickering, losing power, blue light of death is all from a large batch of PS4's with power supplies not calibrated correctly.

Not officially confirmed by Sony via statement.

On a side note, Amazon told me today that they will be very generous with the return policy for PS4's because of the issues. Amazon is aware of it and especially around the holiday, they will not screw people over if they are Christmas presents that are beyond the 30 day return period.

The CS rep I talked to said to me "don't worry, I'm here for you. We'd never let you down"

I felt so loved. Almost felt like sending some sexts the female CS rep's way

IGN, GameSpot and Kotaku have addressed the BLOD already and said that it appears to be a small but vocal minority who have had problems.  Time will tell, but it would be interesting to hear from CAGs who work in retail that might be able to nail down how many of the PS4s their store has sold has been returned.  Of course, that's not scientific either.  At any rate, apparently the Sony Store techs can fix your console on site and save you the trouble of sending it off.  Must not be TOO big of a technical issue.

Btw, where did you hear about the calibrated power supplies being the culprit?

There was a post I read on another board about someone contacting Sony about the issue and they said they were informed that the issue is power supplies not being calibrated correctly.

I don't know how any website or Sony for that matter could tell us how many PS4's are faulty, or what percentage is faulty. That's impossible until there is a long enough period of time to judge after they start receiving units for repair/return over several months.

On a side note, Amazon told me today that they will be very generous with the return policy for PS4's because of the issues. Amazon is aware of it and especially around the holiday, they will not screw people over if they are Christmas presents that are beyond the 30 day return period.
They're also in their holiday return period which means you have through the end of January.

If you need to return the PS4, you can start it up in safe mode by holding down the power for seven seconds. You should be able to restore it to factory settings that way. If worse comes to worst, you can re-install the operating system that way by downloading it off of the Sony website onto a flash drive. That will definitely restore it to factory settings.

So, when do you y'all think the next shipment will be? As in, when do you think we will be able to get a console in a store?
1 week, 2 weeks tops. Or even just find one still in stores right now. Maybe TRU, Costco, BJ's, Target, Walmart still in stock.

Unless you're looking for a model that was made after they made changes to make sure it doesn't end up like the early broken models. In that case it could be 2-6 weeks, but not sure you'd be able to tell unless Sony marked them.

If you need to return the PS4, you can start it up in safe mode by holding down the power for seven seconds. You should be able to restore it to factory settings that way. If worse comes to worst, you can re-install the operating system that way by downloading it off of the Sony website onto a flash drive. That will definitely restore it to factory settings.
Thanks! I take it if it won't display to TV there's nothing I can do?

bread's done
Back