Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

Folks on SD are saying you get in the queue and then eventually go to a page that says OOS. I had it open for a bit and decided not worth the trouble.
That happened to me. I think the que is just because the site is under heavy traffic. It has nothing to do with them opening up more preorders soon.

I've heard a lot of people saying that this second preorder wave isn't gonna be a launch day pickup but a week later? Then I heard that was a mincing of words, and that it wasn't true.

Anyone have official black and white words on this?

I've heard a lot of people saying that this second preorder wave isn't gonna be a launch day pickup but a week later? Then I heard that was a mincing of words, and that it wasn't true.

Anyone have official black and white words on this?
I really think it's going to be launch day. Wario64 has already corrected himself saying it was a Gamestop error that led to the memo that it would be a week or two later. You could ask the Gamestop employee taking your preorder though, when it comes in.

I'm still excited for the PS5, even if I won't be picking it up until next holiday season.  I'll definitely be getting the disc version (I'm a physical media dinosaur), mostly so that I have a back-up PS4 and (finally!) a 4K player.

I've noticed a lot of bemoaning over the $100 gap for the disc drive.  It's certainly another indication of how little customers today care about physical media.  I recall during the PS2 days how excited everyone was for the DVD functionality, but fast forward to today and it appears few folks care at all that the console will provide 4K playback.  The standalone 4k players still cost a pretty penny, so from that perspective, the extra $100 isn't out-of-place, but for the fact that people don't much care for it anymore.

With the developer arms race now in full swing after Microsoft's acquisition, and an even bigger giant in Amazon's Luna entering the gaming subscription space, this generation is already primed to be a massively transformative one (and it technically hasn't even started!).

Sony is undeniably coming in as the most traditional console, albeit with a nod to the reality that is knocking harder on its door.  As things appear to be going now, it's hard not to envision most, if not all, of Sony's big titles appearing (at least) on PC.  How fast that happens may depend on how well PS5 sells during the first 1-2 years. If sales stagger badly compared to PS4, Sony may have little choice but to release their titles on PC, though I presume it'll have to get really bad for them to do this since every PC release will take a bit away from those looking to buy a PS5.

I do wonder how hard Sony will push into its own subscription service like Game Pass.  I'm not sure whether Sony has the fiscal stomach to build out a Game Pass competitor, and frankly, question whether that's even a smart move.  Its recent cloud partnership with Microsoft was a strange announcement given their counter-positions in the gaming space.  I could see, instead, Sony partnering with Amazon to deliver may be select titles of its gaming content through Luna.  Building out an online service like Game Pass is a formidable investment, and if Sony's music and movie divisions are any indication, the company would much prefer to stick to making content and rely on others to handle distribution.

One could argue gaming is the only place Sony still plays in distribution, but that is clearly now being challenged by companies that are several magnitudes larger.  There was a time Sony easily out-sized its competitors, but not anymore.  There was also a moment this current gen when some believed Microsoft was going to retreat from games, but the Bethesda purchase now demonstrates the opposite.  MS is going all-in.  Add Google (yes, Stadia is a mess but don't underestimate the disposable income Google has) and Amazon, and let's not forget Steam and Epic, and the fight for dominance in the distribution channel increasingly looks like one Sony couldn't win anyways.

Again, excited for the PS5 but also partly deflated that this may be the last and final generation of the PlayStation console.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in no hurry to get a PS5, but I was tempted by the 200 trade credit for my ps4 pro. Then I looked at the site and it's $175 trade normally.  I'm down with skipping the $25 to avoid all the pre-order drama.  Heck I could make the difference selling the box it came in.

Was that ever in stock? Has anything been in stock yet today?

After getting to the product page and refreshing there for a while I got kicked back out to the queue twice now and have never seen anything show in stock
It was in stock. Had the red pre-order button

It's going in and out of stock for now. Was able to add to cart

I was able to get that GameStop Bundle just now. I had it in the cart earlier before it quickly went out of stock. Thanks, all.

I settled for the bundle since I have a friend who really wanted one .. can we really return the games separately if we don't want them?

oh nice...

Message last updated: 10:07 AM

Please remain on this page to keep your place in the queue. We are experiencing some technical difficulties and working to resolve as quickly as we can.

I really think it's going to be launch day. Wario64 has already corrected himself saying it was a Gamestop error that led to the memo that it would be a week or two later. You could ask the Gamestop employee taking your preorder though, when it comes in.
Thanks for that and yeah anyone wondering also and hearing the original misinformation my receipt says 11/12 on it.

i think this is finally it! 

Reminder: Be sure to have your credit card details ready. And remember, we only accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover credit cards.

got one from Sony too and received confirmation email, looks like it will be shipped for delivery on launch date for free if you have PSPlus so I think I will cancel my other preorder from Amazon then

interesting... i was able to come back in to the queue via the email invite from sony and throw another ps5 in the cart.

Be careful about multiple orders on the same account from Sony direct, I’ve seen a lot of people post on social media all of their orders ended up getting cancelled when they ordered more than 1.

bread's done
Back