Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
The season pass for Middle Earth: Shadow of War is on sale for $7.99. I got the base game free from PS+ a few months ago. I went to purchase the season pass but it’s showing “not available for purchase”. Does anyone else see this?

PS. I’m trying to buy it from the mobile app.

The story behind how all those names happened is pretty funny. The actress who voiced Claire Redfield was married to the guy who was localizing the game, and she decided to pitch in in a unique way:

https://www.rockman-corner.com/2011/04/alyson-court-talks-mega-man-x5-guns-n.html
That's nuts. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that's how it happened. I always assumed it was some decision at Capcom. Companies are so well known for making absurd decisions (heck, even Sony moving headquarters to USA and officially switching the X and O on the controllers away from their logical Japanese senses). I just assumed this was another one. What a weird story! I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. They did localization, translation, both? Of just games, or of media in general? I wonder if they generally did shit work, or just out of touch work. I don't remember it being shit. Resident Evil 1's localization was shit, but that's sort of like... duh... I remember RE 2 being superior, but my flame for the X games sort of died after 3, and I never played 4 or 5 much.

Oh well. Just more proof of how weird life is. We take these things so seriously, and oftentimes they are influenced by well-meant but half-baked whims of folks who don't know any better and aren't actually trying to mess things up.

The PS1 section has been messed up for a while. Alot of games you can only find by specifically searching for them.
Thank you for this. Searched manually and found the PS1 games and many other PS1 titles not showing under PS1.

Sony just making a mess of everything these days from the store not working properly, to soon shutting them down (PS3, PSP, PS Vita), to forcing crappy new website (no longer can access older version). At least they made some improvements to the PS5 with the latest update. External storage should have been a day 1 feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of finally supporting external drives on the PS5 -- according to tests done by Digital Foundry, PS4 games often load faster on external SSD's rather than the internal. Kinda crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBteyaSCTfU

Speaking of finally supporting external drives on the PS5 -- according to tests done by Digital Foundry, PS4 games often load faster on external SSD's rather than the internal. Kinda crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBteyaSCTfU
I can see that being a thing with PS4, but WTF PS5. Maybe there is an optimization that hasn't been done yet to make them run faster from the internal.

I have a 5 terabyte external hard drive. Some users here told me load times for PS4 games off the external HHD are nearly identical to load times straight from the internal SSD on the PS5. That's not true according to that digital foundry vid.

It likely won't do anything, but if you enjoyed Days Gone like I did, there's a petition going around to get a sequel. More support might convince Sony to green light ithttp://chng.it/GnpjcPwx48
I'm kind of shocked how many people still don't know what this change.org site is for.

But anyway, sony will reveal a sequel at E3 or some show in a year or two and it'll get the "fans wanted it and you made your voices heard so here it is" treatment and people on the internet will think they had a hand in making it happen.

I'm kind of shocked how many people still don't know what this change.org site is for.

But anyway, sony will reveal a sequel at E3 or some show in a year or two and it'll get the "fans wanted it and you made your voices heard so here it is" treatment and people on the internet will think they had a hand in making it happen.
So, you are saying the petition will work then?

I do not get into that petition stuff so I do not know what this change.org site is for. I assume people make petitions to try to get their way. I assume this is incorrect in your view. Please enlighten me on what this site is actually for. Thank you, Professor.

I have a 5 terabyte external hard drive. Some users here told me load times for PS4 games off the external HHD are nearly identical to load times straight from the internal SSD on the PS5. That's not true according to that digital foundry vid.
A SSD external drive

Wouldn't that vary by the model of ps4, the quality of the hard drive and possibly the game?

Most of these videos don't bother to cover all the bases in my experience.

A SSD external drive
You clearly didn't watch the video. They also tested non SSD.
I'm not sure what you were told, but they were either wrong or you misunderstood them. If the PS5 could magically make load times on a HDD match that of an SSD, then that's what they would have used for internal storage since it's significantly cheaper. HDDs are old technology at this point and are a bottleneck for load times and read/write speeds. SSDs are significantly faster with read/write which is what benefits the load times. I definitely don't need to watch a digital foundry video to tell me HDDs are slower than SSDs. If you want to increase load times of PS4 games on the PS5 you either need to run them off internal storage or use an external SSD.

Yes, it works fine on an external drive. I keep all of my PS4 games on my external SSD and all of the games with unlocked framerates run great on it.

Other details probably play a part like brand/quality and speed. Assuming they wern't identical externals in the vids.

I'm not sure what you were told, but they were either wrong or you misunderstood them. If the PS5 could magically make load times on a HDD match that of an SSD, then that's what they would have used for internal storage since it's significantly cheaper. HDDs are old technology at this point and are a bottleneck for load times and read/write speeds. SSDs are significantly faster with read/write which is what benefits the load times. I definitely don't need to watch a digital foundry video to tell me HDDs are slower than SSDs. If you want to increase load times of PS4 games on the PS5 you either need to run them off internal storage or use an external SSD.
Those are some of the quotes I found. I know SSD's are faster but I asked about external HDD on a PS5 because I figured maybe the extra power of the PS5 would help with the external HDD. I guess I will have to do my own tests to be sure but the digital foundry vids aren't promising. It's also possible the users that replied just assumed they were the same and never really tested out or timed the difference between the load times. A 15 second difference might not be noticeable to them. I have been complaining about long load times in games ever since the PS3 area and most users got all defensive telling me it's no big deal and to just go get a drink or sandwich. Now that Sony and MS made a big deal about shorter load times, all of a sudden everyone here is saying oh yeah I couldn't stand long load times and I am glad they are shorter now. It's pretty pathetic really.

Those are some of the quotes I found. I know SSD's are faster but I asked about external HDD on a PS5 because I figured maybe the extra power of the PS5 would help with the external HDD. I guess I will have to do my own tests to be sure but the digital foundry vids aren't promising. It's also possible the users that replied just assumed they were the same and never really tested out or timed the difference between the load times. A 15 second difference might not be noticeable to them. I have been complaining about long load times in games ever since the PS3 area and most users got all defensive telling me it's no big deal and to just go get a drink or sandwich. Now that Sony and MS made a big deal about shorter load times, all of a sudden everyone here is saying oh yeah I couldn't stand long load times and I am glad they are shorter now. It's pretty pathetic really.

You quoted Frisky saying he keeps his games on an external SSD. Not sure how you thought that meant an external HDD would make games load faster

You quoted Frisky saying he keeps his games on an external SSD. Not sure how you thought that meant an external HDD would make games load faster
I only asked about HDD. Why would he reply about a SSD? I never once even mentioned SSD.

I tried out Rise of the Tomb Raider on my PS5. The following load times are all rounded. For example, if it took 32.40 seconds, I would round down to 32. If it took 32.65, I would round up to 33.

To boot to the start menu off external HDD it took a tad over 13 seconds. Clicking start took 5 seconds to get to the menu. Clicking continue took 38 seconds to get to geothermal valley part of the game. The first time I booted it was actually 47 seconds but that was because it booted to a cut scene. I tried again with no cut scene and I got the 38 second time. I exited out of the game and clicked on continue and it took 32 seconds to boot to the game. Fast traveling to the siberian wilderness took 34 seconds. I then fast traveled to the lost city and it took 43 seconds. I fast traveled back to Geothermal valley and it took 34 seconds.

I then moved the game to the internal (that took 1 min and 58 seconds) and got the following load times doing everything I did before; cold boot 10 seconds, clicking start 7 seconds, continue(no cut scene) 31 seconds, exit out and continue again 26 seconds, fast travel 26 seconds, fast travel 32 seconds, last fast travel 26 seconds.

So there's my little comparison of just one PS4 game from external HDD to internal HDD. Other than the 2 seconds longer it took to get to the start menu, internal was faster like we suspected. Around 8-10 seconds faster with the boot to game and fast travel. Obviously, it is going to depend on the game but I obviously wasn't clear with what I was asking because I even stated that youtube vids showed external HDD PS4 games loading slower than internal but again, I was assured here that most games load the exact same as from an internal PS5 so I went ahead with my purchase. Either they were confused or just wrong or maybe the one game they tested showed no real difference.

I have no problem just moving the games I want to play over as I suspect most of the PSVR games are going to load drastically faster on internal. The big test will be Iron Man VR. It had PATHETIC load times on my PS4 Pro so it will be interesting to see how it loads off the external. I already tried it PS5 internal and it's loads soooooooo much faster. I have to think all PS4 games are going to load quicker off external PS5 just because it's more powerful. I did not time the loading Tomb Raider off my PS4 Pro to compare but I am sure someone has done that. I will look for a youtube vid.

So I gabbed a few ps1 titles that were available that I wanted.

Now searching PS store for a few PS3 games that I never grabbed digitally. Odd they have Little Big Planet 1 & 3 but not 2. Ugh.

Notice no digital for all 3 Resistance games. Was there a reason for that? 

Been running my PS4 games on PS5 off of an external 2TB SSD.  The internal HD is just way too small to waste space on PS4 games.

Zero point to use an external NON SSD with the PS5. That DF video clearly explains it.
Well, I bought that 5TB Seagate external HDD for $89.99 and considering you can MAYBE get a 1TB external SSD for the same price, SSD just isn't cost efficient yet. Plus, it doesn't take very long to move games from external to internal. Like my previous post showed, it took me just under 2 min to move ROTTR to the internal from my external HDD. Now, that game is only like 15 GBs so bigger games will take a couple more min but my point is, it's not that big of a deal to move the games around. Granted, if you want to play the game right away and never worry about moving then sure, by SSD but you are going to be spending WAY more money and I am okay with having 5 TB and moving games. I couldn't find even a 1TB SSD external or internal for the $90 I spent on 5TB. Cheapest I found was $115 for an external SSD.

Well, I bought that 5TB Seagate external HDD for $89.99 and considering you can MAYBE get a 1TB external SSD for the same price, SSD just isn't cost efficient yet. Plus, it doesn't take very long to move games from external to internal. Like my previous post showed, it took me just under 2 min to move ROTTR to the internal from my external HDD. Now, that game is only like 15 GBs so bigger games will take a couple more min but my point is, it's not that big of a deal to move the games around. Granted, if you want to play the game right away and never worry about moving then sure, by SSD but you are going to be spending WAY more money and I am okay with having 5 TB and moving games. I couldn't find even a 1TB SSD external or internal for the $90 I spent on 5TB. Cheapest I found was $115 for an external SSD.
What are you doing in the couple minutes it takes to move the game? Getting a sandwich? 😆

That price is soso for 5tb. I got a 10tb one for that price from best buy last year iirc. which I use for my ps4. works great so far. No complaints only filled 4 tb on it since good sales have died and outside of plus stuff or the occasional freebies I haven't put much on it since. Thinking about taking it off the ps4 and using it for the gamepass stuff instead.

Of course this only matters to us digital hoarders.

Thanks and bummer.

Odd as some of the games on that list are still available to purchase when searching by name.
The delisted website is more of an information source then just an outright list of games unavailable. Sometimes delisted games will come back. If you click on a specific game it'll give you info on when and why it was gone (to the best of their knowledge, since some games literally just disappear at random and people don't find out until later) and when it came back.

Ugh, I didn't realize the Atelier Ryza sale was not part of the Spring Sale and ended already. Did they already add more stuff for the Spring Sale?

Of course I went to check out Oddworld Soulstorm for nostalgia purposes and of course it's a PS5 exclusive! Geez! Like really they couldn't make a 2D game playable on PS4?

I've looked around the internet and don't see any recent (or useful) information. Is there any way to take a PS4 soundtrack and copy it to USB for play outside of the PS4? Specifically I'm talking about Infamous: Second Son. Since it plays in its own app I doubt I can copy it, but if I can I'd like to.
You can copy it with Limewire. :cool:

That price is soso for 5tb. I got a 10tb one for that price from best buy last year iirc. which I use for my ps4. works great so far. No complaints only filled 4 tb on it since good sales have died and outside of plus stuff or the occasional freebies I haven't put much on it since. Thinking about taking it off the ps4 and using it for the gamepass stuff instead.

Of course this only matters to us digital hoarders.
I thought the PS4 had an 8TB limit for external HDD?

I thought the PS4 had an 8TB limit for external HDD?
8TB is the max with only 1 external HD being accessible at a time.

I have two 8TB externals hooked up to my Pro currently with the alphabet split between each. I have every game downloaded so all I need to do is transfer it to my 2TB internal SSD. But with my PS5, I never use the Pro anymore lol.

Not as blown away by the RE8 demo as I had hoped. Seems like they’re taking a page out of Bloodborne’s playbook, but the art and designs aren’t nearly as interesting. The AI for enemies seems questionable and the shooting mechanic felt pretty bad.

Overall it definitely feels more like an extension of RE7 than an evolution. I already have it preordered and wouldn’t say it’s bad, but I was hoping the new console generation might push the envelope for what might be possible. I’m also really sick of narratives where a character is searching for a lost wife or daughter. And this is the same dude who lost his gf/wife, who is now searching for his daughter. Can we ever just have a character go somewhere who isn’t searching for someone ... and constantly laments about it every 5 minutes. Also, I hate games that introduce characters and then kill them off after 1/2 an hour ... seems like the Resident Evil series has always been kind of guilty of this, but it eventually gets to a point where you meet someone and immediately think “oh look, more grist for the mill.”

Maybe the castle section will blow me away next week, who knows ...

How do I know what PS3 games I own are PS+, and which I actually own?
If you happened to ever let your PS+ expire, then the date you renewed it will reissue all your PS+ purchases on that date. So they will all show as purchased in your download list on that date. The only other way I know of checking is to have the game downloaded, click triangle, go to info and see if the game says it will expire. If it has an expiration date it’s obviously a PS+.

Speaking of PS Plus games on PS4.

How can you purchase a previous PS Plus game when they have a great sale price? When I am on the Sony PC store or PS 4 store it shows that I already purchased it (But as a PS Plus title).

Driving me nuts as Xbox gives you a choice to buy the game if you currently own it as part of Gold or Gamepass.

On ps3 and vita the purchase date for all ps plus games will update to whatever the date was that you last entered a code for plus. i.e. if you entered a code on 4/15/2021 all of your plus titles will update the expiration date and show as being "purchased" that day. They should all be in one block of you download list.

Looking for some help... I dug my old 80gb fat out of storage and hooked it up in my game room to a Vizio 4K tv. I have attempted to play a few games off disc and they all suffer the same jagged spikes shooting out of images. I had my 320gb slim hooked up to the same tv without issues. I’ve swapped inputs, cables, etc. no change. Anyone experience anything like this? Is the optical drive going out?

Looking for some help... I dug my old 80gb fat out of storage and hooked it up in my game room to a Vizio 4K tv. I have attempted to play a few games off disc and they all suffer the same jagged spikes shooting out of images. I had my 320gb slim hooked up to the same tv without issues. I’ve swapped inputs, cables, etc. no change. Anyone experience anything like this? Is the optical drive going out?
I hate to say it & someone correct me if I'm wrong but off the top of my head that sounds like a gpu failure. Do you have a digital only game you could run & see if it has the same issues? If it does then it would help to narrow it down a little. If it doesn't then it's probably the optical drive. If it does then it could be the gpu, maybe hardrive issues or the ram. I'm not a expert so I just be guessing.

bread's done
Back