Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
We’ve been complaining about Sony’s (and specifically Jim Ryan’s) poor decisions for pages. If you read more than just most recent few posts you’d have the context to know that people are comparing Jim Ryan’s recent bad decision making to what Don Mattrick did to the Xbox brand.

You’re not better than anyone here.
Just because I'm not contributing to the pointless arguments and passive-aggressive speeches you children are posting with your hot takes on why Sony sucks, doesn't mean I didn't read the past few pages of posts. You pretending to lecture me on the comments while not even acknowledging the numerous posts where people DEFENDED the criticisms of others is laughable.

I am definitely better than you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because I'm not contributing to the pointless arguments and passive-aggressive speeches you children are posting with your hot takes on why Sony sucks, doesn't mean I didn't read the past few pages of posts. You pretending to lecture me on the comments while not even acknowledging the numerous posts where people DEFENDED the criticisms of others is laughable.

I am definitely better than you.
You're not better than anyone. You’re a troll who is desperate to feel superior to others because you’re miserable with your own life. Go back to lurking, dickhead.

I apologize to everyone else for entertaining this clown.

Looks like a solid $15-$20 title. Visually, at least the UI, looks exactly like every other game nowadays.

I know they've done it with Spiderman (and I'm sure another at least one more), but they REALLY are going to need to think about not pricing basically every first party game at $70. This is nowhere near a $70(!) game.
Lol......smh

I wonder if Returnal will kill Housemarque for good.  They stopped making cheap arcade style shooters because the sales were so bad, and now nobody wants to buy their big budget shooter.

I was looking forward to Returnal, but after seeing that preview and looking at what that developer has produced in the past ... definitely a wait and see for me. No way to justify a $70 purchase ... man, I can’t wait for E3, really hoping for some games that make me want to pay $70 at launch without hesitation by the end of this year.

You can argue all you want whether the $70 price for major games is justified this gen, but I don't see how people don't see that as a full sized game.  It looks pretty damn good, definitely in the realm of your average triple A faire.  And no one knows the length of the game or the complexity of the rogue like aspects.  We just know they in the past released more bite sized games.  If the game turns out decent length, and the roguelike elements mix things up enough to make it feel different on replays, this game could turn out to have lots of long term replayability.

I definitely understand the desire to wait and see if it lives up to this, but not the writing it off as budget quality.

I just got a PS4 again after not having one for a year and a half. I’d haven’t played many JRPGs in my life and Final Fantasy has done nothing for me. Persona 5 has intrigued me and I see it’s on sale for $10 but so is the Royal Deluxe edition for $20 more. Since I’ve never played them before would I be better off with the original one?

I just got a PS4 again after not having one for a year and a half. I’d haven’t played many JRPGs in my life and Final Fantasy has done nothing for me. Persona 5 has intrigued me and I see it’s on sale for $10 but so is the Royal Deluxe edition for $20 more. Since I’ve never played them before would I be better off with the original one?
I think if you're not sold, the $10 price might be right. But Royal is the base game with a ton of added material. So if you think you'll like it, I'd spring for Royal.

I was looking forward to Returnal, but after seeing that preview and looking at what that developer has produced in the past ... definitely a wait and see for me. No way to justify a $70 purchase ... man, I can’t wait for E3, really hoping for some games that make me want to pay $70 at launch without hesitation by the end of this year.
If you like Silent Hill, it's coming.

Even putting aside the fact that Royal has an extra semester's worth of content assuming you spend time with the new confidants, there's so many quality of life improvements that eliminate some of the more annoying aspects of playing Persona 5, I would never recommend the original.

Go with Royal.

Returnal looks good but I'm not paying $70, I'll wait till it's cheaper like I did with Matterfall, Alienation & Nex Machina.
Sounds like someone who really needs to get out of their bubble. Just go to the PS5 subreddit. Tons of people salivating to pay $70.

EDIT: This was the wrong post to quote. IDK how I messed this up.

Even putting aside the fact that Royal has an extra semester's worth of content assuming you spend time with the new confidants, there's so many quality of life improvements that eliminate some of the more annoying aspects of playing Persona 5, I would never recommend the original.

Go with Royal.
I was concerned about that. Here's where I'm personally torn... I got P5 launch steelbook near launch years ago. I opened it, ready to play it. Life happened and it went in a backlog of games. Now that P5R is out, I skipped it because I don't double dip on games I own, especially since I had already opened my original copy. I'd probably buy P5R if I didn't open mine, leaving my first copy in my sealed games pile.

What is so drastic in the QOL department, not including any DLC/expansions?

I was concerned about that. Here's where I'm personally torn... I got P5 launch steelbook near launch years ago. I opened it, ready to play it. Life happened and it went in a backlog of games. Now that P5R is out, I skipped it because I don't double dip on games I own, especially since I had already opened my original copy. I'd probably buy P5R if I didn't open mine, leaving my first copy in my sealed games pile.

Morgana isn't nearly as big a sleep monitor. You can do things at your pace, not his.

Blows my mind how people don’t think Returnal is a $70 game. Not everything is $15-20 bucks.
Just because it is a $70 game to you does not mean everyone else feels the same way. If it is a must play game for you and you want to buy it day one for full price that is great. But also if it does not look like a game you would not enjoy that much and will wait a year or two when you can get it for cheaper or free on PS+ that is okay too! This is why so many different game genres exist, not everyone enjoys the same thing.

Go with Royal.
That’s the consensus I keep reading. Am I correct in that it also reduces grinding in the game as well?

I think Returnal looks great and it is my type of game. I'm very excited for its release.

I have the game preordered at Target with some circle rewards, 10% off video game coupon they had and a gift card I got from the holidays. With that I'm paying $58 for the game but nothing out of pocket for me, so its a win-win.

I just wish Target offered release day delivery.

No one should be willing to spend $60 for a videogame in this day and age. It's harmful to the industry, as people buy fewer games, and mostly only big triple-A titles from developers that can afford to spend a few hundred million on a game to stuff it with "content" to make it worth the $60 tag. 

Those developers end up with absurd profit returns, while others with smaller budgets struggle. With the development numbers so large, it leads to way less innovation and experimentation. Even though Rockstar can easily expect to quadruple a few hundred million in development costs with a GTA release, if a big studio ends up releasing a flop at those development costs, they can go under. So you end up with extremely conservative publishers sticking to worn-out and boring ideas that they're sure will sell. 

Far from the idea some people here are spouting that gamers are "greedy" for being unwilling to spend $70 on a game, if consumers were more reasonable in what they were willing to spend, we'd be in a far better place in the industry. There's no reason why the industry can't remain incredibly healthy and profitable with even $20 games, if people were willing then to buy more games rather than being used to sticking it out for a few giant triple-A $60 titles every year.

If I got my entertainment through television or movies, I can buy a top-selling 40 inch HDTV for $150 and pay $9 a month to watch content that costs far more than videogames do to produce. A decade ago, the TV would have been $1000 and renting a single movie a week would have cost me $30 a month. 

The difference is that far more people are watching television than playing games. But that's the point: the cost of games should be going down with the increase in gamers, because higher volume means you can get the same profits at lower marginal rates. But it hasn't, and that's a serious problem. If there are four times as many gamers now than there were 20 years ago, game prices should be down by a factor of four. They aren't, they've been steady at $60 while people in the industry spread misinformation that somehow videogames should "keep up with inflation", as if serving up another zero-marginal-cost digital download is the same thing as harvesting another gallon of milk.

Video game prices should not be keeping up with inflation, they should be going dramatically down as the world gets far more and more gamers, and the reality of their failure to go dramatically down manifests itself in harmful conservatism and creative stagnation in big publishers.

Edit: Of course, the reality I think is that a lot of gamers aren't willing to pay $60 for a game, and the publishers know this. Which is why even a few weeks after release, games can plummet in price. The publishers are just smartly grabbing outrageous launch prices from the people who are willing to pay anything to get the game on day one, and then crashing the price to actually sustainable levels a few weeks later so they can continue making money from the rest of gamers. But if the majority of their profits still come from the day-one sales to people paying outrageous prices, then those consumers still drive the trends in the industry, like boring by-the-numbers first-person shooters.

To mirror others here. I don't care what game or franchise it is, $70 is a bridge to far for me. I have a big enough backlog and have no problem waiting for them to drop down to $40 range. 

To mirror others here. I don't care what game or franchise it is, $70 is a bridge to far for me. I have a big enough backlog and have no problem waiting for them to drop down to $40 range.
With PS+ and Game Pass having so many great games to keep me occupied, it would really take something special to get me to spend $70 on a video game.

To mirror others here. I don't care what game or franchise it is, $70 is a bridge to far for me. I have a big enough backlog and have no problem waiting for them to drop down to $40 range.
Tell that to those of us who paid $69 or $79 for N64 games back in the day.

Honestly, games are worth what you want to pay for them. If you see a brand new game that costs $70, and it's a franchise you love and/or a game that you really want... you can buy it and you're not a villain, destroying the industry, for doing so.

I get that people want to pay less for games and if that is what you want, all you have to do for that is wait for a price drop. Ranting about them being priced at that point when they come out is just confusing for me. You've already made up your mind on what you want to pay, so what good does it do to scream to the rafters about it. It's not like the companies will change their mind at this point.

I feel like my mom paid toys R us 80 bucks for a sega genesis version of Street fighter 2 special championship edition. what a ripoff. That was when everything else cost half the price as it does now.

I feel like my mom paid toys R us 80 bucks for a sega genesis version of Street fighter 2 special championship edition. what a ripoff. That was when everything else cost half the price as it does now.
spent $100 in birthday money on Back to the Future III for the Sega Genesis back in the day.

$70 for Returnal would be a steal by comparison, just on a $/hr played basis.

I somehow convinced my mom to get us a Sega Genesis version of Mortal Kombat 3 for $90. Didn't realized how much she paid until someone posted an old ad they had lying around a few years ago. We were poor so that money could definitely went else where.

As noted, you aren't forced to go to sleep nearly as much and waste time that could be used in the evenings for more useful things like ranking up confidants, or doing an activity like darts, pool, or going to a jazz club to boost up stats. (there's other activities, but darts, pool, and jazz club aren't even available to do in regular version).

In Royal, you're actually able to go out and do things at night after visiting a palace or mementos and aren't forced to sleep so long as you when you've ranked up one confidant with an ability to give you a massage.

In the original, once you used up gun ammo in a palace, you're out until you return and come back another day, which made guns pretty useless. In Royal, they reload after every battle.

Baton pass is available immediately, which allows when you hit an enemy's weakness to pass the next turn to a party member who can hit another enemy's weakness and so on, while boosting up the damage, and eventually after passing through enough party members, lets skills to be used without costing any SP. Baton pass makes the battles flow a lot quicker and easier.

Mementos, which is an dungeon area with randomly generated floors used to have the most godawful music and was the most bland-looking area. In Royal the music and look change up every 6 levels or so, and there's more useful items to gain from going there, so I didn't avoid it like the plague like I did in the original.

There's other improvements, but by far, these were the ones that I appreciated the most.

That’s the consensus I keep reading. Am I correct in that it also reduces grinding in the game as well?
I played on normal difficulty and there was absolutely no need to grind. There is one specific boss with a boss midway through Royal I had trouble with, and thought maybe I was underl-eveled, since I'd got impatient and avoided a lot of regular enemies at that point to get to the boss, but it turns out the solution was changing the difficulty to merciless (counter-intuitive, I know). After that the boss was simple. I actually forgot to change the difficulty setting back and didn't have much of any trouble I can recall playing the rest of the game.

$60 was too much for me. I only bought new games when best buy offered $10 rewards on top of the GCU discount. $38+tax. I haven't bought a new game since my GCU expired and I'm not one who has to have a game on release date so like you, I'll wait for the inevitable drop.

Saw this from the other thread from kcobra22,  shipping is free too.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1385310709039255557

Tell that to those of us who paid $69 or $79 for N64 games back in the day.
I remember saving up my lawn mowing money to buy Killer Instinct on SNES. That sexy black cart and pack in sound track, good times. I was also 14ish so time & money were still nebulous concepts. Often times I'd just end up borrowing games from others when they were done with them until Funco Land moved into town. Game changer right there and introduced me to Phalnax.

More power to folks that want to drop $70 on a game they like, I'm not mad at them. I just don't have that much time for games anymore so no reason to put that much down knowing it's going to take a few months to get to it anyway. The $60 price point already made me think about how badly I wanted it, $70 just made it an easy decision. Only instances I can immediately recall spending over $50 on a game is either it's a Compile Heart CE I want or is a first party game on the Switch since they never go on any meaningful sale.

I remember buying Breath of Fire 2 for 80 bucks at a KB toys 30 miles from my house because that's the only store who had it. We've been conditioned to have cheaper games since the PS1, so why is it so far fetched for people to be upset about spending that much on entertainment?

I'm not going to drop that kind of money on some flavor of the year game like CoD or a sports game. Give me a solid action/adventure or rpg and I might be more inclined. Isn't this site cheapassgamer?

The difference between a $70 N64 game and a $70 PS5 game is those games were a complete experience (no microtransations/dlc) and were mostly free of game breaking bugs (which would cause a costly recall with no patching back then). Too many people these days expect 50+ hours of game for that much.

bread's done
Back