Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
No I think they're saying all 4 of those games is 438gb total
Ah ok. Thanks

I was. And this is assuming his 4th game is a PS5 game. There are PS4 games larger than Hitman.
I'm glad I never buy COD. Borderlands 3 is 90 GB (smaller than on the PS4 100+ GB) and I can't wait to finish it to free up that space. I wonder if God of War Ragnarok & Horizon Forbidden West will be reasonable with the better compression of current gen games. By then the SSD slot will be accessible for expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Immortals, Miles Morales and Borderlands 3 Installed. I had Destruction whatever installed too, but I deleted it. Returnal actually complained about installing the patch at first because of the lack of space when I bought it even though I had I believe 90 gigs free or so. Think right now I'm rocking about 100 gigs to go till it's full. It's just going to become more of a problem, but I hope they open up the other slot before it becomes a lesser problem. Of course I'm not sure how much a 1TB SSD goes for nowadays, but I believe it's about close to $300? Whatever the price that upgrade is going to be a nasty bullet to bite especially since not all SSDs are compatible.

M.2 1TB are about between $100-$140 right now. Some of them can be up to $200 depending on the speed.

The SSDs that will work with the PS5 will be more expensive than that. There aren't many that could be compatible with the PS5 yet, so the cost will probably be prohibitive for many. That's why the ability to move PS5 games to the external is a good compromise for the time being.

I forgot about that. May get another external. I have too many though lol. Oh well likely another 4TB one like I use for the PS4 games.

Yeah I figure an extra TB would be enough to last me the Gen. I delete most things off my SSD when I beat it. I'll wait for the $150 price range for a internal SSD. 

People like to make excuses for games lacking basic features. I remember catching hell years ago for saying that you should be able to pause in Dark Souls if you're playing offline.

They kept saying it wasn't designed for offline and death is cheap anyway. None of that matters. If it CAN be played offline, then you should be able to pause it, period.
Pause in any Dark Souls game is basically "save+quit". The game is constantly auto-saving after every relevant action. So if you have to do something, it's a couple button clicks to quit to the game's main menu, and then you'll be right back where you were with no progress lost (except during boss battles) when you load back up. Quitting during a boss battle puts you back outside the fog gate and resets the boss to full health. Not ideal, but only a few minutes lost. The only time you can't quit at will is if you are invaded or engaging in co-op.

Just finished Returnal. I think I'll be hard pressed to find a game I liked better in 2021. And if we do get some games that top it, then it's going to be a very good year.

Just started RE7 to prepare for RE8. fuck my life. I’m too old for this shit especially in the dark. I’ll prob have a heart attack before I finish it lol

Chia coin mining requires proof of storage rather than GPU cycles, so if that takes off it's going to wreck the SSD market just in time for PS5s to become expandable. Prepare for a possible bloodbath.

The SSDs that will work with the PS5 will be more expensive than that. There aren't many that could be compatible with the PS5 yet, so the cost will probably be prohibitive for many. That's why the ability to move PS5 games to the external is a good compromise for the time being.
That's why Sony has a good compression system. The game sizes are way lower then MS XB series.

Just finished Returnal. I think I'll be hard pressed to find a game I liked better in 2021. And if we do get some games that top it, then it's going to be a very good year.
Nice. I finished Act 1 yesterday and unlocked a whole bunch of new weapons and the grappling hook.
I was surprised I was able to beat both the 2nd and 3rd biomes bosses on my first try getting to them.

I did have a good set of artifacts and parasites with the Astronaut so I was prepared to die and I didn't.

I even wasted some ether in the reconstructor in the 2nd biome just to play it safe.

The fourth biome was not nice to me and I got killed pretty quickly.

In total that was probably about a 3-4 hour run in two days before I died in the Echoing Ruins.

I'm glad I didn't experience any issues while playing that run. It was really amazing.

Can't wait to did in deeper in the future. The Cycle Continues.

I also haven't updated the game to any of the latest patches.

Nice. I finished Act 1 yesterday and unlocked a whole bunch of new weapons and the grappling hook.
I was surprised I was able to beat both the 2nd and 3rd biomes bosses on my first try getting to them.

I did have a good set of artifacts and parasites with the Astronaut so I was prepared to die and I didn't.

I even wasted some ether in the reconstructor in the 2nd biome just to play it safe.

The fourth biome was not nice to me and I got killed pretty quickly.

In total that was probably about a 3-4 hour run in two days before I died in the Echoing Ruins.

I'm glad I didn't experience any issues while playing that run. It was really amazing.

Can't wait to did in deeper in the future. The Cycle Continues.

I also haven't updated the game to any of the latest patches.
All in all I died 15 times in my playthrough, and it was all in the biomes as I never died fighting a boss. For the most part the bosses seemed to get easier, oddly enough. Most my deaths came in the third and fifth biomes (can't remember their names). Those robot drones that shoot bursts of little rockets and kamikaze at low health really gave me fits.

Pause in any Dark Souls game is basically "save+quit". The game is constantly auto-saving after every relevant action. So if you have to do something, it's a couple button clicks to quit to the game's main menu, and then you'll be right back where you were with no progress lost (except during boss battles) when you load back up. Quitting during a boss battle puts you back outside the fog gate and resets the boss to full health. Not ideal, but only a few minutes lost. The only time you can't quit at will is if you are invaded or engaging in co-op.
Okay, we're just going in circles.

I must just suck at Returnal. I probably just am not as good at shooters. I'm still trying to beat the 3rd biome though getting a bit closer each time.

It's gonna be a variant basically like the pros were then. Or the phat ps3s but without removing the bc stuff between models hopefully.

I find it strange that only some used games on GameFly have free shipping.  We thinking about buying a couple games from their used game sale that started yesterday, but the ones I chose, it charge shipping.  It isn't much, $4-$5, but that kills the deals.

Zero chance they'll remove BC. It'll probably be impossible to tell which chip you have without opening it.
Assuming it doesn't do anything with the fans or games specifically. Like if you play last of us 2 or spiderman on it and hear the disc spin rapidly or something. As I'm sure someone will figure out a way to tell eventually. Reddit and such is pretty dilligent.

As far as bc is concerned if there's a way to remove it and sell the systems right now and make a profit Sony would do it so long as the backlash was minimal.

Assuming it doesn't do anything with the fans or games specifically. Like if you play last of us 2 or spiderman on it and hear the disc spin rapidly or something. As I'm sure someone will figure out a way to tell eventually. Reddit and such is pretty dilligent.

As far as bc is concerned if there's a way to remove it and sell the systems right now and make a profit Sony would do it so long as the backlash was minimal.
But the disc spin bug is already there, and is an OS/software bug. It won't change if you change chips.

But I'll admit, impossible was a poor choice of word. It'll likely be something you can't tell apart without digging very specifically, like measuring wattage or something.

And BC removal is unlikely because it's the chip architecture. To block PS4 games from running on a PS5 would take actual work. There'd be no reason for them to do it. Versus the PS3 scenario, being a different architecture from PS/PS2 -and- PS4/PS5, -and- needing an expensive Emotion chip from the PS2 for backwards compatibility (not counting the software emulated PS2 on the intermediary PS3s).

tl;dr: Most people won't notice a difference. And they won't take away BC on the variant.

I think I'm just cursed in Returnal. Finally made it right before the 3rd boss and my game glitches out where I can't move and am stuck in a spot. Such time wasted. Hurts so much and ugg if the shooting wasn't decent I'd rage and just auto sell this game. Just wasted like about 2 hours.

Urghh. I had an amazing run going on Returnal then got a online disconnect error that made the screen go black. Forced fo do the new update. I love the game but lack of even an auto save to prevent crap like this is really making it more of a love-hate relationship.

Urghh. I had an amazing run going on Returnal then got a online disconnect error that made the screen go black. Forced fo do the new update. I love the game but lack of even an auto save to prevent crap like this is really making it more of a love-hate relationship.
Yeah. Pretty ridiculous. There have been several games that let you have one save spot and when you restart, that save is deleted. Should’ve been in here from the start.

I bet you everybody thought that there was zero chance that Sony would remove BC from PS2 and PS3 as well. Just saying...
Welp, you just lost that bet. I knew they would.

There is absolutely zero chance that Sony won't eventually remove BC from PS5.

I doubt it will come with this upcoming hardware revision, but that's simply because this upcoming hardware revision isn't much of a revision at all, just them sourcing some components from another manufacturer. But Sony is certainly not going to eschew removing BC simply because users wouldn't be able to tell what features their console has without opening it. Sony couldn't give two shits about that.

In another year or so, certainly within two years, being able to play PS4 titles on PS5 won't be much of a selling point, especially as more of the main PS4 titles get PS5 upgrades. At that point, they'll get rid of it.

And I'd peg it at about 90% certainty it will start with SKUs that are indiscernible which have it and which don't, probably varying by region, and we as a customer base will get to write up obscure Wiki's testing hardware and sniffing out SKU feature sets.

From what I understand, unlike the PS2, PS3 and PS4, which featured brand new architecture with each generation, the PS5 is basically the same architecture as a PS4, just more powerful.  The hardware is beefier, the GUI is different and it has additional functionality, but under the hood, it's essentially a PS4 Pro Pro.  The native PS4 backward compatibility works the way it does because you're essentially playing on a more powerful PS4. Theoretically, Sony could add a software check that could disable games from working if they're not flagged as a PS5 game, but no hardware change could remove backward compatibility without completely breaking the PS5's ability to play PS5 games.

[FF7 Remake Intergrade Final Trailer]
This probably goes without saying based on Square-Enix's past launch trailers, but this one spoils quite a bit from FF7 Remake and even some boss encounters from the Yuffie DLC, so don't watch if you want to remain spoiler-free.

I would be so much better at returnal on my elite xbox controller with back paddles for jump and dash....

Fun game so far though.  Frustrating, but doesn't feel impossible yet...

From what I understand, unlike the PS2, PS3 and PS4, which featured brand new architecture with each generation, the PS5 is basically the same architecture as a PS4, just more powerful. The hardware is beefier, the GUI is different and it has additional functionality, but under the hood, it's essentially a PS4 Pro Pro. The native PS4 backward compatibility works the way it does because you're essentially playing on a more powerful PS4. Theoretically, Sony could add a software check that could disable games from working if they're not flagged as a PS5 game, but no hardware change could remove backward compatibility without completely breaking the PS5's ability to play PS5 games.
If you're only considering CPU architecture, then you could just as well say the PS5 is "essentially" an Xbox One Pro. Doesn't mean you can run Xbox One games without some additional effort (obviously ignoring licensing for this analogy).

There are plenty of compatibility layers above the instruction set architecture, and whenever they make real hardware revisions, they have to put in development effort to get all of their services supported, both the PS5 and the PS4 compatibility layers.

I'm reasonably certain, from experience, that not everything that goes into the PS4 layers comes completely for free with the PS5 services, so I expect they'll decide against putting in that effort for the PS4 layers in future hardware revisions.

The safest bet, I think, is for developers to keep putting in the little bit of effort to port over their PS4 software to native PS5 services right now.

If you're only considering CPU architecture, then you could just as well say the PS5 is "essentially" an Xbox One Pro. Doesn't mean you can run Xbox One games without some additional effort (obviously ignoring licensing for this analogy).

There are plenty of compatibility layers above the instruction set architecture, and whenever they make real hardware revisions, they have to put in development effort to get all of their services supported, both the PS5 and the PS4 compatibility layers.

I'm reasonably certain, from experience, that not everything that goes into the PS4 layers comes completely for free with the PS5 services, so I expect they'll decide against putting in that effort for the PS4 layers in future hardware revisions.

The safest bet, I think, is for developers to keep putting in the little bit of effort to port over their PS4 software to native PS5 services right now.
The thing, the launch PS3 had backward compatibility because it literally had all the PS2 hardware stuffed into it in order to have access to the Emotion Engine required to natively play PS2 games. That's not the case with the PS5. There is no extra hardware added to the PS5 to play PS4 games, so there is nothing to remove that could get rid of the PS4 support. Anything that they were to remove now via hardware changes would also affect the system's ability to play PS5 games.

Realistically, Sony can choose to do whatever they want to do.

PS5 and PS4 use the same hardware?  Put some software code in an update preventing it from loading a PS4 game.  Maybe they make it that there's some software key that you only get by downloading a newly bought game on the PSN store.  They even did a very similar thing when an update removed Linux support from PS3.

PS4 can run PS2 games via emulation.  I've bought a few but it only works from PSN.

Why didn't they make it so we can play our PS2 discs?  Why can't I play PS2 games other than the 54 listed on Wikipedia?

Why couldn't I play PS1 games?  Why can't I play PS2 or PS1 games on PS5?

The answer to all of this is Sony does what it wants to do.

I don't think they will remove backwards compatibility but I know they will find a way to do so if it suits their needs.

bread's done
Back