Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I got the first Deponia game in a PlayStation Humble bundle way back when. I see that the Deponia games are on sale now, but noticed that one of them is missing. Looks like Goodbye Deponia was delisted last year. From what I've read, it was probably removed for having some blatant racist depictions in it.
Odd, Goodbye Deponia is on the Switch eshop of course its listed at 19.99 compared to the 1.29 for each version on psn.

My Kohl's has a clearance shelf near the video game section. Very small selection of mostly old junk, but picked up Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and Little Big Planet 3 for $4.39 ea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh no. There are tons of high quality indie games in this sale. Also "shovelware" is one of the most overused terms in gaming. Basically people use it to describe any game they are not interested in.

Turns out I was just referring to the indie games on sale for PS5. I actually haven't used that term in years. I agree it's overused, but not by me. The grand majority of these games come from devs with no pedigree and absolutely harken back to Wii shovelware days. Most of them have this same-y Unity asset flip vibe to them
I agree with you both, in the words of that Reddit person, but at the same time, I think sometimes people mean the sheer breadth of these sales, everything plus the kitchen sink and donkey, the terrible website and filters... Every sale starts to feel like a "shovelware" sale when there are like 1000 items and it's difficult to sort through. It's tedious as hell, and a lot of it is complete crap, and of course a lot of it some of us may already have, and of course some of what we do want might be out of our cheap range.

I know all that contributes to overusing the term, but when I see 1100 games in a sale...

Family Mysteries 1 is part of their 'Summer of Adventure' bundle, which is on sale for $15. The other Secret Order game is also part of the bundle.
Hm, you bring upon me an interesting dilemma. The Summer of Adventure bundle packs together six Artifex Mundi games. Four of those games, I already bought when they went on sale individually prior to the bundle's release. Family Mysteries 1 and King's Heir never went on sale individually and are quite literally the last two Artifex Mundi games I need to complete the entire AM collection (thus far.)

So, do I buy a bundle that I already own 66% of just for two games (making them each 50% off) and complete my AM collection, or do I continue to hold out in the hopes that the individual games go on sale for 60%-75% off, like most AM games eventually seem to do. Hmmm...

I picked up Aragami with the dlc and Outlast 2.  I enjoy stealth games and Aragami looked cool.  Outlast 2 never seems to go below $6 so I did it.  I was going to get it a few months ago but went with the horrible Vanishing of Ethan Carter instead.

Checked out a few dozen and they’re mostly shovelware or way over-priced. With gaming time limited I can’t see spending much time with any of these with such great games out there for the same money. Lots of cheap me-too cash grabs IMO.

That said, are there any 16-bit plat formers or Metroidvanias or schmups that I may have missed that you’d recommend?

If you want some RE Village avatars or a PS4 theme, there are some easy quests to complete to get codes for them:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1401282721654181890

This is also the first time in a long time that some of the Pinball Arcade and Stern Pinball table packs have been on sale, and I'm going to hop on those along with several of the games that you mentioned in your post.
I picked up a bunch of the Pinball arcade table packs as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Checked out a few dozen and they’re mostly shovelware or way over-priced. With gaming time limited I can’t see spending much time with any of these with such great games out there for the same money. Lots of cheap me-too cash grabs IMO.

That said, are there any 16-bit plat formers or Metroidvanias or schmups that I may have missed that you’d recommend?
Vasara Collection is a decent set of shmups for 99 cents. Downwell is a great single screen platformer for $1.49. And GoNNer is one of my favorite games of last gen for $1.99, kind of a cross between Spelunky and Contra.

Also, if there is a game that you're curious about, I would check the Steam store to see if the game has a profile there. Usually, you can watch a trailer or read some reviews. I think Sony thinks that none of the games would ever sell a single copy if they allowed users to provide ratings and reviews. That's stupid.

One Step From Eden, Iconoclasts, and Ace of Seafood are all amazing games. Eden is an amazing Megaman Battle Network-inspired game, Iconoclasts is a great story driven game (though it takes a bit to get started, it gets insanely good), and Ace of Seafood is...weird. I loved it, but it’s really weird. Outward is also great, plus some other games that I can’t recall the name of.

Lotta great games on sale, here. Not enough money in this month’s budget to get everything I want, which is a rarity these days.

Those less than a dollar games are tempting, even if they probably are terrible. Really wish you could add more than 10 things to your cart, but that's an issue I've had for a long time.

Opinion Time! -  Here's what I'm semi-interested in

• Super Epic
  • Figment
  • Everspace (open world space shoot em up? )
  • Mercenaries Wings The false phoenix (seems like a generic J-SRPG that's not worth my time, but...)
  • Vambrace
  • Max & The Book of Chaos

Glad I picked up Disco Elysium from the sale. I knew it would be good but what I didn’t expect was it to be so funny. The writing is amazing.

On another note, I finally got past the first boss on Returnal. I’ve loved the game since release but I also suck at it. It’s a great game with some of the best feeling combat I’ve played in a while.

Looking through the Indies sale, here are the games I'd recommend checking out (not really paying attention to prices, so do your own research on that):

PS5/PS4 stuff

• Disco Elysium - Well done story-focused CRPG that lets you get weird and silly with it
  • Jydge - Judge Dredd-themed dual stick shooter from the Crimsonland/Tesla vs Lovecraft devs
  • The Pathless - Great mix of Breath of the Wild puzzles and freedom of exploration with Shadow of the Colossus focus on boss fights with a lot of speed and style
  • Tesla vs Lovecraft - Great dual stick shooter with a very long campaign
  • Tesla Force - Sequel to Tesla vs Lovecraft turned into a roguelite
PS4 stuff

• Abzu - Journey-style exploration game set underwater that is a great chill experience
  • Aerea: Deluxe Edition - Decent little action-RPG that is music-themed. Nothing flashy about it.
  • A Hat in Time - What if Super Mario Sunshine didn't have FLUDD and controlled well? This game.
  • Aqua Kitty DX - Defender but with cats and underwater. Good arcade action
  • Astroneer - Great crafting exploration game with great terrain deformation, inventory system, and style
  • Axiom Verge - One of the best Metroidlikes out there and it's worth checking out before the sequel is out at some point
  • Bit.Trip Presents.... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Great rhythm platformer with plenty of challenge to it
  • Brothers: a Tale of two Sons - A classic solo co-op adventure game
  • Cat Quest & Cat Quest II - Great action-RPGs with cute style and lots of puns
  • Children of Morta - Great action roguelite with a story that keeps going even if you die a lot and a variety of family members with different weapons
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 - Great restaurant cooking game with a nice adaptation to controller
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer - Great rhythm roguelite
  • Curse of the Dead Gods - Great action roguelite with some Hades to it
  • Dandara - Fun Metroidlike where you can't move around, but have to cling to walls and move between them at angles
  • Dangerous Driving - Solid Burnout-style arcade racing game from some of the old leads on those games
  • Danger Zone/2 - Burnout's crash mode spun out into its own game with the first being set in test facilities while DZ2 is out on the road
  • Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours - Great sidescrolling shmup with a lot of DLC that pays homage to various classic series
  • Darkest Dungeon - Great dungeon crawling roguelite about dealing with your team's various mental health issues that is very depressing and nervewracking
  • Dead Cells - Great action roguelike that has great action, lots of varying paths, great variety of weapons and perks, and a lot of great post-launch content that's been added
  • Donut County - Funny game about moving a hole around and watching stuff fall into it that's pretty short but an easy platinum
  • Downwell - Great arcadey roguelite about going down a well with your weird gun shoes that is really hard
  • Far: Lone Sails - Neat game about going on a journey in this weird whale vehicle that you have to take keep in good shape
  • Felix The Reaper - Great puzzle game where you manipulate the environment to let you kill your targets and achieve your goals
  • Frostpunk CE - Great survival city management game set in a post-apocalyptic world where the world's frozen over
  • Gonner/2 - Tough roguelite shooter platformer where your head, backpack, and gun changes the abilities you have
  • Guacamelee/2 - Great luchadore-themed Metroidlike with a lot of style and silliness to it
  • Hand of Fate - If you somehow merged D&D, deckbuilding, and some action in their unique roguelite
  • Headmaster - Great PSVR game where you're going through challenges as you headbutt soccer balls to knock stuff over as a Glados-style AI tells you what to do
  • Horizon Chase Turbo - Great arcade racer inspired by classics like Out Run, Top Gear SNES (same composer), and with a lot of content in the game
  • Hue - Puzzle Metroidlike where you're changing the background color help you solve puzzles
  • I Expect You To Die - Great PSVR game that is Bond-themed as you try to solve escape room-style puzzles to get out of Bond traps
  • Ikenfell - Fun little RPG about students at a magic school and a unique battle system

I'll add more as I get through the list tomorrow.

Wow, this really is a good sale. Here's what I went with if anyone wants ideas:

Savage Halloween ($0.49 :hot: )

Looking through the Indies sale, here are the games I'd recommend checking out (not really paying attention to prices, so do your own research on that):

PS5/PS4 stuff

• Disco Elysium - Well done story-focused CRPG that lets you get weird and silly with it
  • Jydge - Judge Dredd-themed dual stick shooter from the Crimsonland/Tesla vs Lovecraft devs
  • The Pathless - Great mix of Breath of the Wild puzzles and freedom of exploration with Shadow of the Colossus focus on boss fights with a lot of speed and style
  • Tesla vs Lovecraft - Great dual stick shooter with a very long campaign
  • Tesla Force - Sequel to Tesla vs Lovecraft turned into a roguelite
PS4 stuff

• Abzu - Journey-style exploration game set underwater that is a great chill experience
  • Aerea: Deluxe Edition - Decent little action-RPG that is music-themed. Nothing flashy about it.
  • A Hat in Time - What if Super Mario Sunshine didn't have FLUDD and controlled well? This game.
  • Aqua Kitty DX - Defender but with cats and underwater. Good arcade action
  • Astroneer - Great crafting exploration game with great terrain deformation, inventory system, and style
  • Axiom Verge - One of the best Metroidlikes out there and it's worth checking out before the sequel is out at some point
  • Bit.Trip Presents.... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Great rhythm platformer with plenty of challenge to it
  • Brothers: a Tale of two Sons - A classic solo co-op adventure game
  • Cat Quest & Cat Quest II - Great action-RPGs with cute style and lots of puns
  • Children of Morta - Great action roguelite with a story that keeps going even if you die a lot and a variety of family members with different weapons
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 - Great restaurant cooking game with a nice adaptation to controller
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer - Great rhythm roguelite
  • Curse of the Dead Gods - Great action roguelite with some Hades to it
  • Dandara - Fun Metroidlike where you can't move around, but have to cling to walls and move between them at angles
  • Dangerous Driving - Solid Burnout-style arcade racing game from some of the old leads on those games
  • Danger Zone/2 - Burnout's crash mode spun out into its own game with the first being set in test facilities while DZ2 is out on the road
  • Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours - Great sidescrolling shmup with a lot of DLC that pays homage to various classic series
  • Darkest Dungeon - Great dungeon crawling roguelite about dealing with your team's various mental health issues that is very depressing and nervewracking
  • Dead Cells - Great action roguelike that has great action, lots of varying paths, great variety of weapons and perks, and a lot of great post-launch content that's been added
  • Donut County - Funny game about moving a hole around and watching stuff fall into it that's pretty short but an easy platinum
  • Downwell - Great arcadey roguelite about going down a well with your weird gun shoes that is really hard
  • Far: Lone Sails - Neat game about going on a journey in this weird whale vehicle that you have to take keep in good shape
  • Felix The Reaper - Great puzzle game where you manipulate the environment to let you kill your targets and achieve your goals
  • Frostpunk CE - Great survival city management game set in a post-apocalyptic world where the world's frozen over
  • Gonner/2 - Tough roguelite shooter platformer where your head, backpack, and gun changes the abilities you have
  • Guacamelee/2 - Great luchadore-themed Metroidlike with a lot of style and silliness to it
  • Hand of Fate - If you somehow merged D&D, deckbuilding, and some action in their unique roguelite
  • Headmaster - Great PSVR game where you're going through challenges as you headbutt soccer balls to knock stuff over as a Glados-style AI tells you what to do
  • Horizon Chase Turbo - Great arcade racer inspired by classics like Out Run, Top Gear SNES (same composer), and with a lot of content in the game
  • Hue - Puzzle Metroidlike where you're changing the background color help you solve puzzles
  • I Expect You To Die - Great PSVR game that is Bond-themed as you try to solve escape room-style puzzles to get out of Bond traps
  • Ikenfell - Fun little RPG about students at a magic school and a unique battle system

I'll add more as I get through the list tomorrow.
I know you haven't gotten to the "S" titles yet, but I'm also going to recommend Savage Halloween. It came out in April and is a Metroidvania with combat abilities more akin to Contra. Every other level has an homage in some fashion to another classic game, as you can see from the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuVl5b8rmR0

I played it for about an hour and a half yesterday morning. Very much worth the two quarters, imo.

Savage Halloween - $0.49

Eneba has $50 psn codes for $43.xx after coupon code DAYSOFPLAYPROMO. The discount seems to be dynamic. Tried it on the first three sellers and it puts them all within a few cents of each other, even though their starting price is within a few dollars.
I’ve ordered multiple codes though this site with no issues but there are minor reports of getting sent bad codes so use at your own discretion.
https://www.eneba.com/us/psn-playstation-network-card-psn-50-usa-psn-key-united-states

While everyone is talking about recommendations from the sale I have a few of my own. I would recommend Crossing Souls gameplay reminds me of the Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana battle system, Flipping Death quirky game about reversing death and Remothered Tormented Fathers nicely done survival horror game that's a mix of the old Clock Tower games and Outlast

Well, I tried going through the PSN sale page after adding a couple of filters, and it decided to fail loading the next page after I'd scanned through about a third of the entries, and when I tried to reload the filters had been cleared. Considering there don't seem to be any options to sort anything in any way that makes any sense, I'm just not gonna bother trying again. Besides, everything I'd seen to that point that I had any interest in was either too expensive in general, or has been cheaper on PC, so whatever.

You win the game of getting me not to spend money yet again, new PSN storefront.

While everyone is talking about recommendations from the sale I have a few of my own. I would recommend Crossing Souls gameplay reminds me of the Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana battle system, Flipping Death quirky game about reversing death and Remothered Tormented Fathers nicely done survival horror game that's a mix of the old Clock Tower games and Outlast
I'm confused, Chrono trigger is turn based and secret of mana is real time/action rpg. I'll have to look into it none the less.

But...Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are two vastly different games. The only similarities they share are that they have spells and are RPGs on the SNES. Not even the same subgenre of RPG, at that.

Well, I tried going through the PSN sale page after adding a couple of filters, and it decided to fail loading the next page after I'd scanned through about a third of the entries, and when I tried to reload the filters had been cleared. Considering there don't seem to be any options to sort anything in any way that makes any sense, I'm just not gonna bother trying again. Besides, everything I'd seen to that point that I had any interest in was either too expensive in general, or has been cheaper on PC, so whatever.

You win the game of getting me not to spend money yet again, new PSN storefront.
I mentioned the same thing. I'm just using PSPrices to see what's on sale.

Was looking through the PSVR spotlight stuff and saw a couple interesting games:

Wind & Leaves, which is survival game of sorts where you're trying to regrow forests across a number of biomes but you need to keep planting trees to be able to explore more of the world. It's out 7/27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4C2AZU3oco

Sniper Elite VR brings that brand of absurd sniping fun complete with stealth and x-ray sniper kill cams to see the effects of your well-placed shots. It even has AIM controller support. It's out 7/8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtIIjuKRb8

I mentioned the same thing. I'm just using PSPrices to see what's on sale.
Yes, both PS Prices and PlatPrices are superior to the PSN Webstore. Even the built-in store on the PS5, and I don't think I've ever said that about a console's built-in store before.

Thanks to those who mentioned One Step from Eden. For some reason, I hadn’t heard of it. Kind of a weird mix of Slay the Spire, Crypt of the Necrodancer and a shmup, but it’s fantastic. Still need to understand how some things work but great pick up!

I played and gave impressions of One Step From Eden ages ago, but I played it a good amount on Switch and PC. I recommend as well as it's a pretty neat feeling deck builder with a movement like system that mimics Mega Man Battle Network on crack. It's worth sale prices and obviously when it was bundled in a Humble Bundle ages ago.

I'm confused, Chrono trigger is turn based and secret of mana is real time/action rpg. I'll have to look into it none the less.

But...Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are two vastly different games. The only similarities they share are that they have spells and are RPGs on the SNES. Not even the same subgenre of RPG, at that.
I was talking about Chrono Trigger and The Legend of Zelda 3's puzzle system mixed together with Secret of Mana's combat system my mistake

With the exception of the Pinball Arcade table packs, I'd say most of these games have been or will be cheaper on PC, but my PS4 has been getting more play time lately than any of my computers, all of which are really low-end. And start-up is way faster on a PS4.

Unless I am reading PlatPrices wrong, that’s an unfortunate yes.
As far as statistics like that go, I would use PS Prices. PlatPrices seems to only have the statistics as far back as the site was launched, so any lower prices before that aren't shown. PS Prices goes much further back.

Does anyone know if PSP game patches have the same problem that PS3 game patches had back in April? I just tried 10 new to me UMD games and all 10 said already using the latest version, which I find hard to believe.

Why is it hard to believe? Most PSP games don't have patches. They would only have system firmware updates. The days when games actually came complete on disc.

<p>

Those less than a dollar games are tempting, even if they probably are terrible. Really wish you could add more than 10 things to your cart, but that's an issue I've had for a long time.

Opinion Time! - Here's what I'm semi-interested in

• Super Epic
  • Figment
  • Everspace (open world space shoot em up? )
  • Mercenaries Wings The false phoenix (seems like a generic J-SRPG that's not worth my time, but...)
  • Vambrace
  • Max & The Book of Chaos
I really liked Everspace. It was leaving Game Pass months ago so I gave it a shot. I think it took me like 30 hours to beat.

Why is it hard to believe? Most PSP games don't have patches. They would only have system firmware updates. The days when games actually came complete on disc.
PSP supports game patches just like PS3 so while some games may have system firmware updates, they would not "only have" updates that way. Three games I know of are LittleBigPlanet at version 2.05, Pinball Hereos at v3.00, and Killzone Liberation, which oddly had everyone download the patch on PC and transfer over to MemoryStick. If I can find two games using the standard game patch process, I suspect other games use it too. That's why I found it odd that 10 out of 10 had no update when I tried for the first time on my PSP this weekend. Certainly possible but suspicious - even more so given that PS3 game patches had issues recently.

The games that caught my eyes that I don't think anyone's mentioned:

Coffee Talk ($5.59) - Haven't played it, but it's reminiscent of VA-11 HALL-A

MUSYNX ($4.49) - Rhythm game

Pantsu Hunter ($7.79) - lol

Sparklite ($6.24) - Moonlighter-esque with ok reviews

Strawberry Vinegar ($5.49) - Very saccharin visual novel

Shadow Tactics ($4.99) - Highly rated, been on my list of to plays for awhile

I eventually got fatigued browsing, and it never seemed to end.

I think it's like 55 pages or so. Like you I got fatigued and had to take a break so I just copied and pasted the address of the page I was on and came later. It'd be easier if you could select any page numerically but we all know Sony doesn't do easier when it comes to web store.

I got the first Deponia game in a PlayStation Humble bundle way back when. I see that the Deponia games are on sale now, but noticed that one of them is missing. Looks like Goodbye Deponia was delisted last year. From what I've read, it was probably removed for having some blatant racist depictions in it.
Goodbye Deponia can still be had from the Hong Kong PS store. I had some HK$ credit left over from when I bought a DLC for X-Com that had been delisted in North America...but I didn't think to check the HK store until two days after their last sale ended.

Coffee Talk is pretty great and a definite rec if you want something similar to Valhalla’s experience. Strawberry Vinegar has an interesting premise (though it’s listed as yuri despite the casts’ ages, which makes me think it’s not for me), and as for Pantsu Hunter...honestly, that’s activated my morbid curiosity ever since I first saw it. If only it weren’t so expensive.

As far as statistics like that go, I would use PS Prices. PlatPrices seems to only have the statistics as far back as the site was launched, so any lower prices before that aren't shown. PS Prices goes much further back.
Thanks. According to PSPrices, it’s the lowest for HGH Ultimate edition. Regular HGH has been $10 before. Pirate’s Curse was $5 at some point in 2017.

Does anyone know if PSP game patches have the same problem that PS3 game patches had back in April? I just tried 10 new to me UMD games and all 10 said already using the latest version, which I find hard to believe.
If I remember correctly, very few PSP games actually had patches.

bread's done
Back