Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
This feels like a rebranding more than a new service to compete with Game Pass. Sony just isn't trying if they aren't willing to put day 1 releases on there and they don't have a robust reward system like Mircrosoft does.
This stuff is great and I'd love to see a PS reward system, but again, we're CAG. The devil customers. None of my friends use Bing rewards, hell most don't have Gamepass and the ones that do don't bother with the quests. Most normal people just don't care. They pay full price for subscriptions and auto renew.

For day 1 releases it's good marketing but MS doesn't have to do it, Sony certainly doesn't have to. Think about if they just delayed it to 6 months or even a year - day 1 folks would still buy it anyway and those of us that were just curious would wait. It wouldn't change my subscription habits if I had to wait a bit, there's always something else to play.

Ni no Kuni II Deluxe has been down to $11.99 multiple times over the past year, there’s every reason to believe it’ll get there again in the next few months, rather than paying $18.98 for the base game and pass separately.
I watch the psn sales often and had not seen the deluxe on sale but then again I was in hospital for 6 months with covid so had no access to anything much but figured after seeing gameplay and reading reviews that this game will be a lot of fun and take months to finish. I probably should have waited for a sale on the deluxe though. I have the big box collectors edition sealed so don't mind spending $20 to keep it sealed. Seems that's one collectors edition that's not went crazy high yet and I stress yet.

I care. Detroit: Become Human is one of my favorite games of all time. I hope they're still able to make big narrative games unlike Supermassive Games, the developer of Until Dawn, which makes smaller games now. Detroit was like a Telltale game where the choices actually mattered.

Is there a way to activate P5 without a PS5?
I don't think so. Unless someone's found a workaround very recently, you need a PS5 to activate the games in that collection.

But if it makes you feel better, that version of Persona 5 is arguably pointless. There's a newer standalone version, Persona 5 Royal, that goes on sale for cheap, has a ton of added content, and doesn't support migrating saves from the vanilla version. Almost feels like the original version should come with a giant warning at the start that says "hey are you sure you don't want to pay $20 to play the expanded version before you lock yourself into a non-transferrable 60 hour playthrough of this one?" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a lot of PS3/4/5 games as those were my only consoles until 2 years ago when I got a Switch and Series X. I have Gamepass since my XBOX library was empty pretty much (used it to play through all the Halo and Gears of War games I missed out on over the years) and Gamepass gives you PC games too (Humankind, Age of Empires 4, Crusader Kings 3, Football Manager, etc being good values as day 1 releases).

I honestly don't think the higher tiers of PS Plus would be worth it to me. I only bought PS Plus to be able to play FIFA online. The monthly free games are a nice add-on but the nice thing is that Playstation games get much cheaper (compared to Nintendo games) with time so I can just buy them eventually. 

I can't think of many games on Playstation's subscription service that I either don't own already (disc or digital) or could play by other means (PS1/2/3) on original hardware or through emulation or through the PSN store buying individually. 

I am probably not the target demographic audience for this but I imagine a lot of CAGs are in my same position.

Hood is actually really fun.  Just the devs dropped the ball and didn't put out enough content.  Hopefully it being free will bump the player base up.

My ps now expired...boo :(  I guess I won't be finishing Shadow Warrior 3 until they launch the new service.  If I even decide to fork out the cash for it.

Good chill game (20% off with PS+):

https://twitter.com/SkyhookGames/status/1509556553233444868?t=YHcmRSWSJLsIfayNzQ0Xiw&s=19

The way it works is this: corporations suffer massive losses as they move into a new market and only tell their shareholders how much marketshare they've gained (aka subscribers numbers--the only thing we know about gamepass, and massively distorted by free trials and $1 renewals). They get investment from the stock market which helps them continue to fund the expansion even though they're losing money technically in that division. Investors bet on them because of the hope of future profitability. Eventually people become so attached to the service that they can't imagine living without it. That's when they raise the prices and the goodwill dies, but it doesn't matter because they don't need it--just money.

Sony is doing this now because they won last generation. Microsoft did it last generation because they won before that, Etc.
I don't think a lot of people realize that market leaders can't just abandon something that works. If you're Mercedes, you don't suddenly make cheap cars because they sell a higher volume.

For now, I think GP is awesome and have considered getting a Series X even though i hated my OG XB1. The backwards compat and GP make it an excellent value.

Good chill game (20% off with PS+):

https://twitter.com/SkyhookGames/status/1509556553233444868?t=YHcmRSWSJLsIfayNzQ0Xiw&s=19
Just saw this. Might have to snag it for those nights I am too baked to play Elden Ring lol.

Here is hoping they bring over Powerwash Simulator next.

I don't think a lot of people realize that market leaders can't just abandon something that works. If you're Mercedes, you don't suddenly make cheap cars because they sell a higher volume.
Mercedes isn't a market leader, it's a luxury brand. You're confusing quality with value.

Companies raise prices and worsen values all the time. Netflix, Amazon Prime, even PS+ have all increased their sub fees in the past few years. Sony knocked up prices of their first party games for PS5 by $10. Steam recently capped the amount you can set your games on sale, and set it to max at 90%, and in general their sales have gotten worse year by year.

If you think Game Pass isn't going to get more expensive I admire your optimism.

I mean, Epic has literally been giving away more free games than PS+ every month to get people to use their platform. They offered endless $10 off coupons on several sales. That is not going to be happening in a few years.

Generosity is ALWAYS short-term strategy aimed at customer acquisition. Always.

To be clear, I am subbed to Game Pass. I use it all the time. I pay $1 a month--turn off recurring. Wait for it to expire, and then reup for another $1 (sometimes for 3 months). I am well aware this gravy train has an expiration date. I am not a Game Pass hater. It's a great value while it lasts.

I mean, Epic has literally been giving away more free games than PS+ every month to get people to use their platform. They offered endless $10 off coupons on several sales. That is not going to be happening in a few years.
That depends a lot on on whether Epic begins to actually compete with Steam in sales figures, whether Fortnite continues doing well enough to prop the store up, and whether Sweeney can continue to placate his investors.

That depends a lot on on whether Epic begins to actually compete with Steam in sales figures, whether Fortnite continues doing well enough to prop the store up, and whether Sweeney can continue to placate his investors.
I imagine epic will give up on the store entirely after a few years. It's still missing incredibly basic features and only a handful of games feature achievements currently. You can't get people to buy from your store based on 1 year timed exclusives alone, you need a halfway decent client and epic can't compete in that area yet. I'm willing to buy a few games dirt cheap with their coupons, but that's about it. I'd never buy anything anywhere close to full price until they start investing their Fortnite money into a good client. But even then, I'm not sure how long the coupons will last.

Anyone else remember when the PlayStation store used to have shit like screenshots and trailers in the product description? Used to be whenever I clicked on a page for a game I didn't know anything about, I could get a fairly quick feel for whether I wanted to look more into that game or not.

Now I generally just scroll past whatever I haven't heard of.

Nice advantage of the PS+/PSNow merger is that hopefully the PS+ additions won't be titles that are already on PS Now anymore.  Seems like there's one of those every month lately (Slay the Spire this time).

Somebody on twitter at the crack of dawn today posted as Playstation and said Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2 was coming to the PS5 in 2023 with a mockup of all the characters.

I had 3, maybe even 5 seconds of pure joy.

Anyone else remember when the PlayStation store used to have shit like screenshots and trailers in the product description? Used to be whenever I clicked on a page for a game I didn't know anything about, I could get a fairly quick feel for whether I wanted to look more into that game or not.

Now I generally just scroll past whatever I haven't heard of.
They made their webstore worse with the re-brand update for sure which was only done to remove PS3/VITA content and not for consumer benefit. I pretty much just use DekuDeals now for online deal shopping/organization as it covers PS/XBOX/SWITCH and can help me sort out what I own and don't own as well as my wishlist for when sales hit. I also have PSPRICES but dekudeals is more convenient as it is multiplatform.

Three-wheeled limited time mode for April Fool's Day:

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/1509924868225175557

Ahh nice, didn't know that. That shows how little I play my Xbox.. lol
It's a dirty secret for both consoles actually, which allows married couples like myself the option to buy a single digital copy of a game and play it simultaneously on separate consoles. Did it with Far Cry 6 and Tiny Tina as of late with no reason to stop anytime soon ha.

BC is cool but people act like it actually matters to the general video game playing public and it doesn't. There is a reason that Xbox stopped adding more titles and it's because somebody finally looked at it from a ROI standpoint. Sony doesn't have the money to play around with what is essentially a pet project like that.
People are focusing on what was announced, which is silly because it's what wasn't announced that matters. BC is a small piece of the pie (which still matters going forward for library protection) but it's day one games that are critical to GPU, and not something Sony is willing (or able) to provide. They also seem to be confused what decade it is because "streaming" is a dirty word for games, something MS has addressed with "Cloud" gaming. It's the same thing but they've done a great job marketing it as simply playing online vs streaming to your console.

This is the divide between the companies and shows how little Sony has actually grown in 10 years. They think 1st party exclusives are still paramount; they're not. They begrudgingly support BC with no real understanding why it's important for the future and customer retention. And my personal biggest complaint is diversity of portfolio: STOP. MAKING. 3RD PERSON. ACTION. ADVENTURE. GAMES. They're literally Ubisoft with excellent writers at this point and Ubisoft isn't looking too good these days. Realistically, nothing will change until they cut the cancer that is Jim Ryan out though.

Wario posted a link to get a year of PS Now for $60 still. If you don't have years of PS Plus stacked, you should get this since each service comes out to just $30/year: https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/1510661773065555969
I am still not quite sure how this converts. I think it's supposed to turn into the $119.99 Premium in June correct? I should have bought some years on cdkeys and the other sites selling codes. None have any available now though so this would be the best deal.

Same, that hot came directly from Sony.

But they have not told us what will happen to people who have PS+ subs, what tier we will be pushed into :(
Since Essential is supposedly the same thing as basic +, it stands to reason that that's where Plus subs will go, with possibly upgrade opportunities.

Now is getting converted to Premium likely because there is no other tier that preserves that specific service for those legacy users.

Did they ever say if you had to have ps now at a certain time to later be eligible for the free premium? Or can u just buy one now or later and get upgraded?

Fairly certain how this will go. 

Any PSNow subs will be converted 1:1 to the highest tier on new system. One year of PSNow will be one year of premium. 

Any PS plus subs will be converted 1:1 to the lowest tier on new system which is identical to the current PS plus level. One year of PSPlus will be one year of the lowest tier.  You will likely have the option to upgrade to premium for $60 a year. 

if you have both PS plus AND PSNow, your PSNow will convert 1:1 to the new highest tier and your remaining PSPlus will convert at 2:1 to the highest tier. So if you had a year of both PSNow and a year of PS plus you will get 18 months of premium. 

I suppose if you had both they could just convert the PS Now and make you eat the PS plus but I don’t think they’ll do that.  People would go ape shit. 

bread's done
Back