Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I need help in Returnal. I am on the second level Crimson wastes and have been on this run for like 4 hours. Almost 2 full integrity bars and a lot of powerups and parasites. The problem is that I can't find the shop anywhere. I have 1,300 obilites and don't know where to spend them. The first time I did this level, I found the shop no problem. This time, I had to go through this barrier that takes away my dash and found a blue bubble warp thing that takes me directly into enemies so I had to warp back since I am beeping because my health is so low. The game played a dirty trick on me too. I left a large resin that was right at the beginning to save until I needed it later and when I went back, it turned into corrupted resin that gives low health but I had no choice and had to use ether on it. I have checked my map and I have gone in every door I can. Has anyone been on this variation of the Crimson wastes? Why would the devs make it this difficult to get to a shop? Is my only hope going back to that warp that puts me right into enemy fire? I do not have the astronaut and no health L1 items. I am really starting to get frustrated.

Part of the opening sequence and some gameplay has leaked for The Last of Us Part I, as well as screenshots showing the controls and graphics options.

There don't appear to be any actual changes for the raw gameplay, no additions to the control scheme like TLoU2 style dodging or going prone. Character animations being cranked up was the main noticeable change. I can't really make out any movement improvements and we don't see melee.

There are 60 and 40 FPS modes, no 120 or 30 options.

As far as the models they are more detailed but I think too heavily tweaked on the supporting characters, like Joel's family looks worse or at least different overall.

Unless there is something more substantial to be seen it sure seems closer to TLoU Re-Remastered than a remake.

Most of the leaks are in this article. All early game kind of stuff if any newcomers are worried about story spoilers.

comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/the-last-of-us-part-1-remake-gameplay-leak-combat/

Anybody have any idea or previous history to go by on whether the steelbook for Last of Us remake will go back in stock? I’m upset I missed my window and am now worried that it’ll remain sold out.

I need help in Returnal. I am on the second level Crimson wastes and have been on this run for like 4 hours. Almost 2 full integrity bars and a lot of powerups and parasites. The problem is that I can't find the shop anywhere. I have 1,300 obilites and don't know where to spend them. The first time I did this level, I found the shop no problem. This time, I had to go through this barrier that takes away my dash and found a blue bubble warp thing that takes me directly into enemies so I had to warp back since I am beeping because my health is so low. The game played a dirty trick on me too. I left a large resin that was right at the beginning to save until I needed it later and when I went back, it turned into corrupted resin that gives low health but I had no choice and had to use ether on it. I have checked my map and I have gone in every door I can. Has anyone been on this variation of the Crimson wastes? Why would the devs make it this difficult to get to a shop? Is my only hope going back to that warp that puts me right into enemy fire? I do not have the astronaut and no health L1 items. I am really starting to get frustrated.
Google

That's the first thing I did. No help.
There is nothing special about Crimson Wastes. Ignore the red water areas. The only thing I can think of is that you missed something in the desert, i.e. didn't get close enough to it to reveal it on the map. But since the levels are pretty much random, there's not exactly much you can get help with. Other than, treat it like a Souls game and embrace death.

The store isn't guaranteed to have health anyway, so...

Edit: If you're taking 4 hours and not even finishing Crimson Waste, you are taking a really long time. When I started, it was talking me like 3 hours to do the first 3 biomes, and that was actually still actually a long time. You're playing it both too carefully, and expecting to not die, which is not really the mindset going in to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing special about Crimson Wastes. Ignore the red water areas. The only thing I can think of is that you missed something in the desert, i.e. didn't get close enough to it to reveal it on the map. But since the levels are pretty much random, there's not exactly much you can get help with. Other than, treat it like a Souls game and embrace death.

The store isn't guaranteed to have health anyway, so...

Edit: If you're taking 4 hours and not even finishing Crimson Waste, you are taking a really long time. When I started, it was talking me like 3 hours to do the first 3 biomes, and that was actually still actually a long time. You're playing it both too carefully, and expecting to not die, which is not really the mindset going in to begin with.
I figured it out. There was a room I went in but it had a bunch of those red fire line things so I went to the room next to it and just forgot. Went back there and eventually found the shop and it was stacked with a lot of goodies. Beat the boss and now I am exploring with my new gadget before heading to the next level.

I don't like dying. I know this game wants you to die a lot but I am being very careful so I don't die.

I figured it out. There was a room I went in but it had a bunch of those red fire line things so I went to the room next to it and just forgot. Went back there and eventually found the shop and it was stacked with a lot of goodies. Beat the boss and now I am exploring with my new gadget before heading to the next level.

I don't like dying. I know this game wants you to die a lot but I am being very careful so I don't die.
Embrace death. I suck at Returnal and beat it fully many hours after many other people. Near the end I was just bum rushing everything. It's a rogue type game so it's better to die and learn stuff than go slow around. You unlock stuff and things become easier. The most important things are learning the enemies and how to dodge/fight them. The rest of the stuff unless it's environmental puzzles is trivial. Also there is only so much randomness, so you'll be able to see the same generated stuff over and over. I barely paid attention to the shops on my full run throughs other than the revive items and some other useful stuff now and then.

Stray is kind of an interesting experience but it isn't what I would call fun. Surprising it has reviewed pretty well.
I really wanna say mean things about it Stray, but lots of people are enjoying it so it's probably just not for me.

I tuned out pretty hard when I saw that its platforming is "on rails." Ended up quitting maybe 30 minutes in. Very boring to me.

I would literally rather play Mario 64.

Stray is fun because you're a cat and it's an adorable experience.

I don't know if it's fun independent of that.

Like, I like walking up to robots and meowing at them or discovering a new thing and meowing in wonder or just meowing in general.

If you want a meowing simulator, this is the "game" for you!

I really wanna say mean things about it Stray, but lots of people are enjoying it so it's probably just not for me.

I tuned out pretty hard when I saw that its platforming is "on rails." Ended up quitting maybe 30 minutes in. Very boring to me.

Mario 64 is still a great game. There's tons of video games I'd pick after another SM64 replay.

Stray looks like a good bundle game. Seems way to short, but high quality enough. Not a big fan of on rails platformers, unless the platforming sucks so much haha. I'm not much of a cat guy either, although I love a few I've met.

Yeah, it's best not to think of Stray as a platformer. I was disappointed to hear it was on rails (given all the cat stuff, I'm inclined to believe this was a decision made to appeal to a wider audience) but I was expecting to just be a stealth adventure game and not a platformer, so I don't feel as negatively about it.
Totally forgot this was a thing because of Shredder's Revenge (TMNT's Sonic Mania). I wonder if their releases being only about two months apart will be better or worse for sales.

OK, I apologize if this has been discussed at length in the past here, but I've been off CAG for a bit.  I did a Google search and no one seems to have covered this particular issue.

I really want to up my PS+ to Extra (that's the one that lets me play Demon's Souls, etc, right?).

I currently have PS+ until Sept. 2024.

I am being given this upgrade option: $46.46 due today, with normal price ($99.99) starting in Sept. 2023.  Yes, that's 2023, when my current subscription goes until Sept. 2024.  The upgrade price of $46.46 makes sense - it's $40 for Sept. 2022 to Sept. 2023 and a little bit of prorated cost for now until Sept. 2022.  But then it appears Sony is just negating my last year!  WTF!?  I expected to see that discussed in all the articles I just read about PS+ upgrades but can't find any mention of it.  The only thing I saw says you pay for the difference for any years you have left.  But that does not appear to be the case - they seem to be stealing that last year with no compensation.

I should be paying $86.46 and getting PS+ Extra through Sept. 2024.  Instead they are going to make me pay $46.46 + $99.99 = $146.45.  Is there some unwritten rule where you can't convert over 2 years?  If so, should I then wait until September and then hopefully be able to convert the rest of my 1.99 years over for just under $80? 

I've gotten my son into the whole Souls universe with Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and now Dark Souls Remastered.  Now he really wants to play Demon's Souls.  But if we have to wait until Sept., I can tide him over with Dark Souls 2 & 3. (I also wanted to play Stray!)

Edit: OK, their site is wonky as usual.  I need to verify if I actually have PS+ till Sept. 2023 or 2024.  On the "upgrade" section it is telling me my next charge for Essentials would be $59.99 in Sept. 2024 (whereas it tells me Sept. 2023 for Extra or Premium after I pay to upgrade).  But if I go to my account and go to subscriptions there it looks like it is Sept. 2023.  I was fairly sure I added another year to make it 2024 - but I can't find any confirmation of code redemption anywhere.

Everyone remember, one of the greatest wrasslin' games ever... SATURDAY NIGHT SLAM MASTERS ...drops tomorrow via Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 for only FOUR DOLLARS!!

saturday-night-slam-masters-jessica.gif

I have yet to play Stray, but I am looking forward to it. I am a cat person and graphically it looks quite beautiful, and to be honest, the fact that it is on rails is and not an overly long game is a positive for me. I like both open world games like the Assassin's Creeds, GTAs and all that, but there is always room for more narrative-driven games that take you from set-piece to set-piece in a linear style, like the Uncharted series does. If that's Stray's style, I embrace it.

Open worlds are great when done right, but can be a slog when done poorly. For example, I am currently playing through the PS5 version of Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Graphics are beautiful, story is decent, and humor is admittedly hit-or-miss (though mostly hit), and the world is pretty much completely open. Only two parts of the game world are locked off until near end-game conditions, but otherwise, if you've got the stamina, you can climb and access any part of the map. It's negative is that the gameplay can be downright tedious. When you're not doing a storyline quest, then you're exploring the map hunting down chests that usually require some kind of boring puzzle solving to open. And then there are countless tedious dungeons that are basically just puzzle areas where you're pushing, pulling or carrying giant blocks or balls to the right spots to light up a crystal to move onto the next boring puzzle. The open world was great, but because they didn't fill it with anything interesting, I think I would have rather played an on-rails game instead.

Isn't Mario 64 generally recognized as an all-time great game?
It is, but let's face it, it's not because it's genuinely a great game, but because people look at it through rose-tinted glasses and it was an incredibly ground-breaking title for its time. Kinda like Star Wars; boring freakin' series, but revolutionary for 1977 audiences who've never seen such a thing in their life before and we're had to suffer with the hype surrounding it for decades afterwards because of that.

Mario 64 took a beloved mascot whom even non-gamers have grown to recognize over the previous decade and done something relatively new; put him in a fully 3D environment, which most people hadn't seen utilized in such a way before. It had controls that were worlds ahead of other 3D games at the time -- but are downright clunky by today's standards. It had a camera system that was intuitive for it's time, but is incredibly unintuitive today. It had bright, detailed cartoony graphics that were pleasing at the time, but appear boxy and full of low-resolution textures (when textures even appeared) today. It's gameplay was open and encouraged exploration, but let's be honest, it was slow and by today's standards, tedious.

I criticize Mario with all due levels of love, though. I was a Nintendo fanboy from the NES all the way to the N64 and even still have this little guy dangling from my car's rearview mirror even today. But I've taken off my rose-tinted glasses when it comes to Mario 64. Not Super Mario All-Stars, however, those glasses will never come off.

It is, but let's face it, it's not because it's genuinely a great game, but because people look at it through rose-tinted glasses and it was an incredibly ground-breaking title for its time. Kinda like Star Wars; boring freakin' series, but revolutionary for 1977 audiences who've never seen such a thing in their life before and we're had to suffer with the hype surrounding it for decades afterwards because of that.

Mario 64 took a beloved mascot whom even non-gamers have grown to recognize over the previous decade and done something relatively new; put him in a fully 3D environment, which most people hadn't seen utilized in such a way before. It had controls that were worlds ahead of other 3D games at the time -- but are downright clunky by today's standards. It had a camera system that was intuitive for it's time, but is incredibly unintuitive today. It had bright, detailed cartoony graphics that were pleasing at the time, but appear boxy and full of low-resolution textures (when textures even appeared) today. It's gameplay was open and encouraged exploration, but let's be honest, it was slow and by today's standards, tedious.

I criticize Mario with all due levels of love, though. I was a Nintendo fanboy from the NES all the way to the N64 and even still have this little guy dangling from my car's rearview mirror even today. But I've taken off my rose-tinted glasses when it comes to Mario 64. Not Super Mario All-Stars, however, those glasses will never come off.
I read this in reverse and was kind of agreeing with you till you got to insulting the original Star Wars trilogy. I’ve never nerded out over Star Wars, and I certainly wouldn’t call it great cinema, but the original trilogy are certainly more than groundbreaking trendsetters, they’re honestly good movies in their own right. The story is fun and engaging, the plot beats are satisfying, the pacing is fast but not frenetic, the characters are memorable and likable, the effects (at least in Episodes V and VI) are great, and the score is fantastic. Sure the plot is messy, the hair is bad, there’s a lot of plagiarism, and a lot of things the trilogy did have become overused tropes, but the original movies bring their elements together in an engaging and pretty timeless way in spite of all of that.

And Mario 64 is still a better game than SMB 1, 2, or Lost Levels from All Stars. I’ll give you 3, though.

Have you ever almost put somebody on your ignore list, but mostly because you think they’re likely an idiot and not a troll? However, then you read that one thing that you know isn’t trolling and is in fact the final confirmation that they are actually an idiot? No, just me? Carry on.

Have you ever almost put somebody on your ignore list, but mostly because you think they’re likely an idiot and not a troll? However, then you read that one thing that you know isn’t trolling and is in fact the final confirmation that they are actually an idiot? No, just me? Carry on.
Unfortunately that person is both an idiot and a troll.

The Bonus stuff for Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium:

There’s also a ton of bonus content for players to enjoy! All players start out with SONSON, the 2D side-scrolling platformer first released in 1984, for free. Players can also download the “Special Display Frames Set” for free between July 22 and Aug. 5, 2022. Players who pre-order or purchase Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium before Aug. 5, 2022 will receive the “Display Frames Set 1,” which gives access to 32 title-specific display frames that open new customization options for the digital arcade cabinets.

Additionally, players who pre-order or purchase Capcom Fighting Collection before Sept. 30, 2022 will receive Three Wonders, which packs three arcade games into one, as a bonus game for Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium.

Lastly, original Capcom Arcade Stadium players receive bonus content, including Instruction Card Backgrounds (for players who purchased at least one Capcom Arcade Stadium title) and the ability to change the lights and music in the title select screen to that of the original Capcom Arcade Stadium (for players who have save data from Capcom Arcade Stadium).
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-CUSA30639_00-CAS2000000000001

bread's done
Back