Playstation Vita WiFi $249.99 - 3G/WiFi $299.99 - February 22, 2012 Release

[quote name='bgame2']Preface: I have a psp go and will almost certainly get one of these so I am not trying to bash but...

I really did not like the whole "painting" your path thing that was show for Uncharted at E3. It really seemed like a dumbed-down experience. Obviously, pushing an analog stick isn't the same as climbing across a ledge either, but simply swiping your finger across the whole path seemed a little too easy.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you don't have to use it. I didn't think of this until you said that, but think of it as a great way to get both casuals and core gamers to play the same game, but use the type of gestures that they would prefer. I wouldn't stray too much from the sticks and actual buttons, but someone coming from the DS for instance may find using the touchscreen to be easier/more accessible for them. Best of both worlds basically :)

My main concern with having so many control options is that some developers will go crazy with it and require us to shake the system (sixaxis), use the touchscreen and touchpad all at once, rather than choosing which type you want. Sort of like what happened when the SIXAXIS was introduced for the PS3. Some devs used it badly in combination with the physical controls, but eventually it was just used here and there in optional ways, and now barely used at all.

nice catch

i too think the touchpad on the back would serve as L2/R2 if implemented right
Can you imagine switching weapons on an FPS, switching units on an RTS or drifting left or right on a racing game with that touchpad?

:O

The more i think bout it the more
harder
i get

[quote name='cRodz']

The more i think bout it the more
harder
i get[/QUOTE]

You're tense. I can help you
with acupuncture *stabs*

[quote name='iluvplaystation']Im very excited for this console. also excited for the wii u. ill probably get the wifi version since the 3g is att :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Noob question here: What is the difference? I know the Wifi one will allow me to play/download at my home or hotspots. If I get the 3G will that allow me to do this from anywhere? And if so, ther is probably a monthly plan with At&t right?

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Noob question here: What is the difference? I know the Wifi one will allow me to play/download at my home or hotspots. If I get the 3G will that allow me to do this from anywhere? And if so, ther is probably a monthly plan with At&t right?[/QUOTE]

You got it right there im sure there will be a month to month plan of some sort probably not a contract but you will have to pay something. Im interested in 3g becuase I like to be connected everywhere

Some applications require you to download via WIFI instead of 3g/4g connection. That should help keep data costs low. I think ATT's normal data plan is 200mb for $10 and 2gb for $25. It scares me considering the fact that data gets bigger in size all the time. This is one of the only times im glad to be with sprint.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Noob question here: What is the difference? I know the Wifi one will allow me to play/download at my home or hotspots. If I get the 3G will that allow me to do this from anywhere? And if so, ther is probably a monthly plan with At&t right?[/QUOTE]

Someone mentioned that the 3G will not allow you to play online. It's only intended for downloading.

[quote name='ajumbaje']Soooo, data will cost money(just makin sure :p)? I figure online games would make the data cap go higher[/QUOTE]

Note you can't play them online with 3G. So downloading 1-2 games here or there on it plus surfing the web isn't going to kill your data cap.

If they follow the apple model, you will only be able to download games of a certain size or less over 3G to help with customers going over their limits which is a plus imo

Or they could follow a google OS model and just tell you how much data you have used in real-time

I'll get my Vita from Best Buy. I bought a 2-year service plan with my PSP that I never used, so I'll probably won't get one for the vita. Then my Vita will stop working after 22 months and I'll wish I had.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I'll get my Vita from Best Buy. I bought a 2-year service plan with my PSP that I never used, so I'll probably won't get one for the vita. Then my Vita will stop working after 22 months and I'll wish I had.[/QUOTE]

You'll get it, and it'll stop working after 25 months. You'll never win.

Want to get the 3G, but only once I find out the plan details. I don't want to pay $15 a month to AT&T for access I'll seldom use. I want free 3G, like the Kindle. I won't pay more than $5 a month for 3G connectivity on this thing.

Had about hour with the Vita upstairs at Sony's VIP area today.

I'm assuming it was the final design. System was plenty powerful enough (smooth graphics, stunning screen, great sound), but let me say that playing on this system is going to take some getting used to. Feels a little cramped, wish the analog sticks came out up bit more, moving for the "X" button usually led me wrongly to the right analog stick, and using the back touchscreen had very mixed, unsatisfying results. I actually wish the system was a tiny bit thicker.

All personal gripes, but I'm probably not alone in them.

All told, a very competent little machine but, like I said, will take some getting used to.

Some games not on the normal show flooor:
- Shinobi 2. Was very glad to test this one, which is a actually a gameplay successor to Tenchu. Controls were a bit off, but the game holds promise. Looked and sounded great, though there were some polygon boundary issues. Game in early state, so this will certainly be fixed.
- Dynasty Warriors. In general, this is a very tired series - but I feel it lives better on the handheld. Typical camera issues for this type of game, as there is no lock-on or strafe-type mechanic. Special powers are activated using the touch screens, front and back. Boss fights ONLY use the touch screen, in a gameplay style reminiscent of Infinity Blade on iOS.
- Ruin. Excellent looking Diablo type. 3 classes (warrior, assassin, mage). Devs were really down with making sure the mage feels like a mage (ala Dragon Age, where they amass their power and unleash holy hell). Don't expect the standard fireball range attack. Great integration with the PS3 version. High hopes for this one.

Figure to keep the pre-order for now. Hopefully the MGS/ZOE re-releases will hit the Vita, as they'll play infinitely better here than on the 3DS. MGS especially and Snake Eater specifically, which on 3DS just did not work very well - controlling the camera with the A/B/X/Y buttons was pure hell, fire and brimstone. The 2nd analog is and will be the difference. (But don't get me wrong: 3DS has Luigi's Mansion 2, which has the pure charm and joy of an unselfish child.)

Vita looks pretty awesome and hopefully there will be some good games for it. My only other concern is that using the back touchpad looks really awkward and makes the system hard to grip. Maybe they'll add some wrist straps to keep the system securely in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Antipodes']Vita looks pretty awesome and hopefully there will be some good games for it. My only other concern is that the back touchpad looks really awkward and not secure. Maybe they'll add some wrist straps to keep it in place.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Isn't it built into the back of the system?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Huh? Isn't it built into the back of the system?[/QUOTE]

The back touchpad or wrist straps? If it's former, whenever I've seen demos of people using it (such as the climbing in uncharted), it looked like it was easy to drop. I mean, your grip won't be that secure when both hands are using the back touchpad right?

[quote name='Antipodes']The back touchpad or wrist straps? If it's former, whenever I've seen demos of people using it (such as the climbing in uncharted), it looked like it was easy to drop. I mean, your grip won't be that secure when both hands are using the back touchpad right?[/QUOTE]

Okay so you're talking about the system as a whole then? Because your wording above made it sound like you were just referring to the rear touchpads being insecure and needing a wrist strap.

Specifically:

my only other concern is that the back touchpad looks really awkward and not secure. Maybe they'll add some wrist straps to keep it in place
And I don't really see it making it hard to keep a grip on the thing. The touchpad is placed in a position where most people would naturally hold the system. You're still gripping the system with the majority of your hand, you're simply using your otherwise idle fingers to do some swiping motions. If you have a PSP, test it out. I just did and it felt fine

[quote name='Kylearan']Had about hour with the Vita upstairs at Sony's VIP area today.

I'm assuming it was the final design. System was plenty powerful enough (smooth graphics, stunning screen, great sound), but let me say that playing on this system is going to take some getting used to. Feels a little cramped, wish the analog sticks came out up bit more, moving for the "X" button usually led me wrongly to the right analog stick, and using the back touchscreen had very mixed, unsatisfying results. I actually wish the system was a tiny bit thicker.

All told, a very competent little machine but, like I said, will take some getting used to.

- Shinobi 2. Was very glad to test this one, which is a actually a gameplay successor to Tenchu. Controls were a bit off, but the game holds promise. Looked and sounded great, though there were some polygon boundary issues. Game in early state, so this will certainly be fixed.
- Dynasty Warriors. In general, this is a very tired series - but I feel it lives better on the handheld. Typical camera issues for this type of game, as there is no lock-on or strafe-type mechanic. Special powers are activated using the touch screens, front and back. Boss fights ONLY use the touch screen, in a gameplay style reminiscent of Infinity Blade on iOS.
- Ruin. Excellent looking Diablo type. 3 classes (warrior, assassin, mage). Devs were really down with making sure the mage feels like a mage (ala Dragon Age, where they amass their power and unleash holy hell). Don't expect the standard fireball range attack. Great integration with the PS3 version. High hopes for this one.

Figure to keep the pre-order for now. Hopefully the MGS/ZOE re-releases will hit the Vita, as they'll play infinitely better here than on the 3DS. MGS especially and Snake Eater specifically, which on 3DS just did not work very well - controlling the camera with the A/B/X/Y buttons was pure hell, fire and brimstone. The 2nd analog is and will be the difference. (But don't get me wrong: 3DS has Luigi's Mansion 2, which has the pure charm and joy of an unselfish child.)[/QUOTE]

wow that sound horrible for MGS3. I think i will cancel my preorder

[quote name='ssjmichael']Okay so you're talking about the system as a whole then? Because your wording above made it sound like you were just referring to the rear touchpads being insecure and needing a wrist strap.

Specifically:

And I don't really see it making it hard to keep a grip on the thing. The touchpad is placed in a position where most people would naturally hold the system. You're still gripping the system with the majority of your hand, you're simply using your otherwise idle fingers to do some swiping motions. If you have a PSP, test it out. I just did and it felt fine[/QUOTE]

Ah I see that now. I reworded my post.

So even if you were to do fast swiping motions with both hands, you could still maintain a good grip? And you would feel comfortable switching quickly between the normal controls to the back touchpad?

Back touchpad is a nice idea, so I'm hoping that the grip is good enough to access it fluidly.

3G will give you access to the internet, PSN, other online services via AT&T's cell network.

I would only look at a 3G model if you plan on playing multiplayer games away from home. The time it takes to download a title and the hit your battery is going to take will probably not make downloading via 3G worthwhile. There will probably be apps that use the internet constantly, but for me the amount that I take my handhelds out of the home is minimal so I can't imagine actually taking my PSV out and being upset that I don't have 3G for some app that needs online access.

[quote name='62t']wow that sound horrible for MGS3. I think i will cancel my preorder[/QUOTE]

yeah wtf.... I was going to buy this but no thanks now.

[quote name='omyard']3G will give you access to the internet, PSN, other online services via AT&T's cell network.

I would only look at a 3G model if you plan on playing multiplayer games away from home. The time it takes to download a title and the hit your battery is going to take will probably not make downloading via 3G worthwhile. There will probably be apps that use the internet constantly, but for me the amount that I take my handhelds out of the home is minimal so I can't imagine actually taking my PSV out and being upset that I don't have 3G for some app that needs online access.[/QUOTE]

You can't play online games via 3G, it has to be done via Wi fi.

[quote name='JSiggy']yeah wtf.... I was going to buy this but no thanks now.[/QUOTE]

What? Wasnnt the guy talkijg about mgs 3 for the 3ds and not psvita..

[quote name='giantqtipz']What? Wasnnt the guy talkijg about mgs 3 for the 3ds and not psvita..[/QUOTE]

I said I HOPE they bring the MGS re-release to Vita. I'll probably get it on the 360 or PS3, but PS3Vita integration would get me to go with the PS3 version for sure.

The 3DS version of MGS 3: Snake Eater is terrible. I'm very sorry to say this, but it is really, really bad.

It's not because the 3D is the worst I've seen: you can not move ONE CENTIMETER off center - and even if you don't move, you may lose the 3D effect just because. That certainly isn't enough to call it terrible, as you can turn off the 3D and it'll be fine. (For reference, I have no problem with the 3D effect on any other games, television or movies - no headaches, no cross-eyes, nothing; I've tested every 3DS game and this is the first time I've just plain LOST the 3D effect (images split), even with the slider all the way up. I brought the slider down and back up, but eventually lost the 3D no matter my setting.)

No, it's because of the camera and aiming system using the A/B/X/Y buttons makes it nigh unplayable. I cannot overstate how bad it is. The game absolutely requires a second analog stick to enjoy it. I play-tested it for close to 30 minutes, hoping my initial impression was wrong. It wasn't.

It'll play fine on Wii U, PS3, Vita and 360. But on the 3DS? Nay.

If you want some more thoughts on the 3DS version, check out the coverage at Joystiq. The article is called "MGS 3: Snake Eater 3D preview: Awkward Snake."

Yea, but those guys were saying that they want to cancel their vita preorder because they thought you were referring to mgs 3 for psvita as the terrible port.. I'm so confused now!

So far the PSP Vita sounds really good. However I will probably wait until the white one comes out and read the reviews on it before I purchase it. I preorder the PSP Go and that was a complete disappointment. The worse system I ever owned. If I do decide to get the Vita, I would go with the 3g version. For $50 more, it might come in handy if the plan is affordable and the features included.

[quote name='fezlopez']If you want 3G, you MUST pay for data plan. Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003O6EATE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

It says it right below the product description:

** 3G functionality and coverage requires purchase and activation of an additional AT&T data plan. Connectivity subject to 3G coverage limitations.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, 3G functionality requires an AT&T data plan. That does NOT mean you MUST get a AT&T data plan just because you have a 3G PSVita. You can still use it with Wifi regardless.

Just like the iPad, you can get a 3g device but not sign up for 3g coverage.

EDIT

I hate that Sony is not putting any onboard memory at all on this. It will be a complete deal breaker for me if they again refuse to support the SD format and force Memory Stick down our throats again.

Hmm, I don't see the benefit of 3g for this particular system. It's already been confirmed that wifi is required for multiplayer from what I've read, so that leaves 3G for surfing and downloads I would assume. If anything, it seems like wifi would be more efficient for that and free wifi is easy to find in most non-rural areas. Heck, between Starbucks, Barnes and Noble and Denny's it's tough to drive a few miles without stumbling onto wifi.

Until I hear a reason 3G will be a must have, I'm happy to stick with the Wifi model.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Yea, but those guys were saying that they want to cancel their vita preorder because they thought you were referring to mgs 3 for psvita as the terrible port.. I'm so confused now![/QUOTE]

Strange, as it seemed to me they were canceling their pre-orders of MGS 3: Snake Eater for the 3DS - NOT the PSV.

MGS 3: Snake Eater hasn't even been announced for the Vita. I'd be surprised if it wasn't released, though.

Thus, to clear up any confusion:

MGS 3: Snake Eater on the 3DS is terrible.
MGS 3: Snake Eater on the Vita has not even been announced, much less shown.

So, if you've canceled your Vita pre-order on account of purported news or opinions of MGS 3 for the Vita, take a deep breath, head back to Amazon or your retailer of choice, and replace your pre-order. There is NO news about MGS 3 for the Vita.

I dont think I am going to buy this yet, but any deal what so ever($30 off, free game with purchase etc etc)and I think I will have to cave on potential alone. Sony does a pretty good job at making it so their first SKU is not their best, but it does not have an 50% failure rate nor does it have any core design flaws. Basically it means you do not have to worry about stuff like RRoD nearly as much and equally important you dont have to worry about stuff like Nintendo and how their first design is always week with a smaller screen and missing features.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I hate that Sony is not putting any onboard memory at all on this. It will be a complete deal breaker for me if they again refuse to support the SD format and force Memory Stick down our throats again.[/QUOTE]
Sorry but your reasoning for not purchasing a Vita just because of the memory cards is silly. It will likely come with a 4GB card.

[quote name='Goodfella2487']Sorry but your reasoning for not purchasing a Vita just because of the memory cards is silly. It will likely come with a 4GB card.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I dont know. I had not even thought about the memory card issue. If it does come with a memory card then this really is not a big deal. However if Sony makes you purchase one separately and I have to go out and spend $30-$50 for an overpriced mem card then that is a deal breaker in my mind. Not saying I will never get one, just saying thats a hidden expense for the system.

[quote name='Goodfella2487']Sorry but your reasoning for not purchasing a Vita just because of the memory cards is silly. It will likely come with a 4GB card.[/QUOTE]
How's that silly? People don't like being forced to use proprietary crap. Especially when perfectly usable alternatives are available. It's surprising that Sony can get it right with hard drives in the PS3 but not with memory for their portable devices.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Sony does a pretty good job at making it so their first SKU is not their best, but it does not have an 50% failure rate nor does it have any core design flaws.[/QUOTE]

Sony had an issue with a design flaw of the original where the square button was notorious for being unresponsive at times. Handhelds in general don't seem to have much of an issue with failure rates when compared to something like the original Xbox 360s.

I'm inclined to think that there won't be any memory card included, seeing the very aggressive Vita pricing and that physical game cards will have space reserved on them for saves/patches/DLC.

[quote name='giantqtipz']What? Wasnnt the guy talkijg about mgs 3 for the 3ds and not psvita..[/QUOTE]

ya I meant I won't be buying 3ds mgs3 anymore. well, maybe not until it drops in $.

I just pre-ordered the wifi version. Now I just need to know whether it uses microSD or the micro memory stick so I can buy a 32GB one.

[quote name='Kylearan']Had about hour with the Vita upstairs at Sony's VIP area today.

Figure to keep the pre-order for now. Hopefully the MGS/ZOE re-releases will hit the Vita, as they'll play infinitely better here than on the 3DS. MGS especially and Snake Eater specifically, which on 3DS just did not work very well - controlling the camera with the A/B/X/Y buttons was pure hell, fire and brimstone. The 2nd analog is and will be the difference. (But don't get me wrong: 3DS has Luigi's Mansion 2, which has the pure charm and joy of an unselfish child.)[/QUOTE]

I had some time with the PSP Vita at E3 on Tuesday and I don't share the same "cramped" complaint. The controls were perfect for me. Also, the weight and thickness of the console was perfect. Not too light, not too heavy. I have really small hands though (for a man), so maybe that is why I didn't have any issues. I could see people with larger hands having problems with the vita, but then again, I could see them having problems with most handhelds.

My only gripe with the Vita was that the back touch screen feels a little wonky/ is going to take a some time to get used to. My fingers had to keep searching for the right spot for little deviants and then I would somehow lose the correct touch area again. Definitely something that will take some practice.

Overall though, I was most impressed with my hands on time with LittleBigPlanet, Virtua Tennis 4, and Uncharted. LittleBigPlanet (VITA) looks like it will be the best version of LBP yet, Virtua Tennis 4 looked fantastic and the touch controls felt like a dream. Finally, Uncharted looked just like the PS3 version and played almost flawlessly. The analog controls were a little iffy and jumpy though. The Sony rep I talked to said that they were still hard at work trying to tweak the responsiveness in the game and that it should be greatly improved when released. Hopefully that is true.

I do agree with your comment on MGS: 3DS though...the controls were crap. The 3D effect wasn't even any good either, as I could barely notice a change with in on/ with it off. Nothing compared to the 3D in Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Pilot Wings, etc. I was actually going to pick this up before going to E3, but it is now a big pass for me on the 3DS.

bread's done
Back