PlaySwitch.com - Register A New Free Trading Account, Get a $5 used game for free

sandman8288

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
PlaySwitch.com is running a promotion where new members get
1 trade credit, and $5 credit to order 1 free used PC or Video game.
Shipping is free on every game.

This is a game trading site similar to Goozex.

The selection is mostly older titles, and not the greatest,
and seems to be better for last-gen games.
But for free, who can complain? ;)

See the banner on the left side:
http://www.playswitch.com/

It's quite tedious to search through the games though....
I picked up Tiger Woods 06 for the 360.

so far picked up a few nice games (more then 5 each though)

Puzzle city for the ds 10 pts very fun game.... and backyard basketball Ds for 7 pts (didnt come yet)

[quote name='slidecage']so far picked up a few nice games (more then 5 each though)

Puzzle city for the ds 10 pts very fun game.... and backyard basketball Ds for 7 pts (didnt come yet)[/QUOTE]

Man, maybe I was just missing out on games. There were times I would search for games available under 10 sbucks and I'd see maybe 1 page of sports titles.

this site is horrible! i finally have the searching figured out, have tons of my own games added, but im not selling anything to anybody because i cant find anything i want for a decent price!

im sorry, goozex, ill never stray again

[quote name='namehater']this site is horrible! i finally have the searching figured out, have tons of my own games added, but im not selling anything to anybody because i cant find anything i want for a decent price!

im sorry, goozex, ill never stray again[/QUOTE]

Could you let me know which part of the searching was confusing to you? (We are always trying to make it better!) Right now we are working on growing our numbers. Much like any site, the more users we have, the more games available, the happier everybody is. Also, please notice, many games do not have prices associated, but users DO have them added to their list. Sometimes sellers are waiting for buyers to show interest before selling their game.

[quote name='playswitch']Could you let me know which part of the searching was confusing to you? (We are always trying to make it better!) Right now we are working on growing our numbers. Much like any site, the more users we have, the more games available, the happier everybody is. Also, please notice, many games do not have prices associated, but users DO have them added to their list. Sometimes sellers are waiting for buyers to show interest before selling their game.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but I had at least 7-8 open offers for unavailable games at what I deemed reasonable offers open for a good week and no one bit.

I think the reason being that even if they did think my offer was decent, they felt the Sbucks were worthless if they couldn't exchange them for something they wanted.

I understand it is tough to start anything from scratch, but at this point all you have a is a Goozex clone with very horrible selection. Giving away money to buyers will not improve the selection. You need to find a way to draw in sellers or post your own games.

Have you ever considered having something where people could trade their games in for cash and there would be some master playswitch account that would list those traded in games into the marketplace?

Even if temporarily that would kick start the trading of games from all sides.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I understand that, but I had at least 7-8 open offers for unavailable games at what I deemed reasonable offers open for a good week and no one bit.

I think the reason being that even if they did think my offer was decent, they felt the Sbucks were worthless if they couldn't exchange them for something they wanted.

I understand it is tough to start anything from scratch, but at this point all you have a is a Goozex clone with very horrible selection. Giving away money to buyers will not improve the selection. You need to find a way to draw in sellers or post your own games.

Have you ever considered having something where people could trade their games in for cash and there would be some master playswitch account that would list those traded in games into the marketplace?

Even if temporarily that would kick start the trading of games from all sides.[/QUOTE]

only games im posting is games i got off another trade site cheap...

so far traded 1 got 1 (one still in pending lady says she sent it BUT did not buy the DC so i doubt she sent it since its been about a week )

sending out a 2nd game that i paid 10 for at blockbuster..

So so far sent out 2 games that i paid 20 bucks for and in return ended up so far with Puzzle city and around 40 gamebuxs..... Doubt I sent out anything more (maybe 1 more game tops) before i stop sending games out til i find stuff in return....... dont feel like having a massive amount of points and just having the site disappear (like Switchplanet did)

some nice games up for sale now i seen (i only buy Ds and psp games)
DS

Puzzle kingdoms 10 pts Fun game
Naruto: Path of the Ninja 8 pts
LEGO Batman: The Videogame 14 pts (tempted to grab this one)

psp
Lumines for 12

about looking at the internet for cheap games to up their stockpile of games... HALFPRICEBOOKS is a good place to look for ps2 and xbox games.. you can pick up games there for 1.00 each sometimes

i grabbed 10 games for 8 bucks before thanksgiving ended up selling 2 of the games on ebay for 30 so i ended up with 6 free games and around 20 in pocket : )

about other trade sites... the one that stars with a G.. it used to be good last year but over the past 6 months i have not found ONE MAJOR game i want there and i have almost 30,000 pts just sitting in my account over there

Last edited by a moderator:
playswitch:
Any chance Playstation 1 games will be tradeable in the future. I know its an older system, but given the PS2, PSP and PS3's backward compatibility with PS1 games, PS1 games are still appealing among consumers.

hey playswitch

i got matched for a game on Jan 30 i find it very poor that i have to wait 3 weeks to get my points back.. Seller did not even buy DC and i doubt they even set the game...

I have already lost the rights to buy 2 other games due to my points being tied up...

the seller also has not responded to any post i made on their wall after the item was to be shipped

[quote name='slidecage']hey playswitch

i got matched for a game on Jan 30 i find it very poor that i have to wait 3 weeks to get my points back.. Seller did not even buy DC and i doubt they even set the game...

I have already lost the rights to buy 2 other games due to my points being tied up...

the seller also has not responded to any post i made on their wall after the item was to be shipped[/QUOTE]

Yeah i hope you fix that i never got the NFSU XBOX1 and i forgot about it. I checked the site and i had my points back. The game is no longer there to get from someone else sold out or higher price now. The long delay just to get the one game made me not care really anymore. If it gets fixed that you do not tie up the points with people never going to send the stuff i will add stuff to sell. I know you will be doing a big site upgrade and can not wait. I hope you kink out that huge delay in points held thing. You might want to give them 3 days to confirm shipment or it gets refunded back to the buyer type thing. It is just a thought.

WOW. Classic.

So I used my points to get Secret Service, which is listed with a picture of the newest Secret Service game, which is still nothing but cheap shovelware. I get it in the mail today and it is the original Secret Service from 10 years ago.

Dunno what to do. The listing says release date 11/2008. But I think the sender was genuinely confused.

Any advice? Reject it? Do I really want the $5 sbucks back?

UPDATE:
So I set my trade to "bad trade: wrong item received" since it was the best option. The site then asked me to confirm and threatened me with banning, a $50 charge, and notification to authorities if my feedback was found to fraudulent.

It took me well over a month to finally receive a match. I ended up getting a free copy of Time Splitters for the PS2. I had it shipped to my parent's house since I have time mailboxes at my apartment, so I haven't been able to test the game yet, but my parents definitely have a game I got for free waiting there for me.

I just received Madden 06 (360) today and i am going to leave positive feedback. Once i submitted it, it asked if i want to give tip and that it wouldnt be coming out of my account, can anyone comfirm this? I dont want to be charged anything but i dont want to screw over the seller who did send it pretty quickly.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I just received Madden 06 (360) today and i am going to leave positive feedback. Once i submitted it, it asked if i want to give tip and that it wouldnt be coming out of my account, can anyone comfirm this? I dont want to be charged anything but i dont want to screw over the seller who did send it pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

This is from their site:

What are tips?
Tips are currently a secret. However, the more tips you acquire the bigger the payoff! (Coming Soon!)

I assume from this statement that you can "tip" a seller for good service and they will eventually have some sort of reward system for the sellers with the most tips that would be sponsored by the site.

Sounds like a good idea to encourage sellers to sell good games and have good service. Should probably advertise it more if they really want it to work.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I just received Madden 06 (360) today and i am going to leave positive feedback. Once i submitted it, it asked if i want to give tip and that it wouldnt be coming out of my account, can anyone comfirm this? I dont want to be charged anything but i dont want to screw over the seller who did send it pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

why wouldnt it be coming out of your account?

i sent a game and it says i got 1 TIP but i never got any more bucks ...so maybe their system is messed up..

It still says i have 1 tip in my account yet it doesnt show anything

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I understand that, but I had at least 7-8 open offers for unavailable games at what I deemed reasonable offers open for a good week and no one bit.

Even if temporarily that would kick start the trading of games from all sides.[/QUOTE]

We have thought of many different scenarios for increasing the selection. (Including all you have mentioned.) What it really comes down to is the number of traders in the system (and turning on games). I'm sure our competitors didn't start with a huge inventory, but over time they grew and their inventory increased.

One thing that we are VERY careful of is giving away too many sbucks (please see an earlier post). We definitely do NOT want to devalue our currency by flooding the market.

We also believe (as do many of our users) that our system is quite unique and although we do trade games like our competition we did not try to "clone" anyone. We have built (and are always striving) to make the most complete game trading community available. Yes, we've hit a few bumps, but we are working to make the site better every day. Thanks again for your feedback.

[quote name='Survivalism']I'm not crazy about new pages loading at the bottom when you're browsing and having to click the "top" button.[/QUOTE]

We actually have this tweak on our things to do list. We'll get to it ASAP!

[quote name='playswitch']We have thought of many different scenarios for increasing the selection. (Including all you have mentioned.) What it really comes down to is the number of traders in the system (and turning on games). I'm sure our competitors didn't start with a huge inventory, but over time they grew and their inventory increased.

One thing that we are VERY careful of is giving away too many sbucks (please see an earlier post). We definitely do NOT want to devalue our currency by flooding the market.

We also believe (as do many of our users) that our system is quite unique and although we do trade games like our competition we did not try to "clone" anyone. We have built (and are always striving) to make the most complete game trading community available. Yes, we've hit a few bumps, but we are working to make the site better every day. Thanks again for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

my email might be blocking your emails but if you dont yet..

is there any way you can send emails if a price of a game has change...

like if i post a game for say 25 bucks and someone has a buy price for 10... say that person ups their buy price to 15 or 20, i migh want to jump on that (or if a seller has dropped their prices)

right now i think the only way to do this is to check the site every day

[quote name='dchrisd']playswitch:
Any chance Playstation 1 games will be tradeable in the future. I know its an older system, but given the PS2, PSP and PS3's backward compatibility with PS1 games, PS1 games are still appealing among consumers.[/QUOTE]

We have looked into expanding the system to include PS1 and N64 titles. We haven't had too many users ask for them at this point, but we will definitely look at it again soon. Thanks.

[quote name='slidecage']hey playswitch

the seller also has not responded to any post i made on their wall after the item was to be shipped[/QUOTE]

Right now we give the seller 5 days to respond and send the game. After the seller says the game is on route we allow up to 10 days to receive the game before we credit back sbucks (in the case the game does not arrive.) It is a very tricky subject trying to anticipate if a game is sent and when it was sent (especially without a DCN). I'm sure all peer to peer trading or action sites have the same issue. We have a couple adjustments we are going to make to the "on route" status soon to help speed up transactions.

(Recently, we have added and auto-tracker to all DCN so the system knows when a package reaches the buyer. Many users have told us how much this new features helps!)

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Yeah i hope you fix that i never got the NFSU XBOX1 and i forgot about it. I checked the site and i had my points back. The game is no longer there to get from someone else sold out or higher price now. The long delay just to get the one game made me not care really anymore. If it gets fixed that you do not tie up the points with people never going to send the stuff i will add stuff to sell. I know you will be doing a big site upgrade and can not wait. I hope you kink out that huge delay in points held thing. You might want to give them 3 days to confirm shipment or it gets refunded back to the buyer type thing. It is just a thought.[/QUOTE]

We will take a good look at the time frames and our stats to see how they add up. Right now we allow 5 days in the case of weekend and vacations. We do take care of seller who do not ship or respond. We actually deduct status from their account. After a few "bad moves" their account is closed, and their games are removed from the system.

I love playSwitch.com and find it a great alternative to other trading sites. Once the user base expands the deals will come more often, but this is how is in the beginning. It'll be huge before you know it. I sell all my games fairly easily and they go for decent prices (sbucks), too. Having a dedicated forum on-site wouldn't hurt, though. Otherwise, I've had a fantastic experience and I tell all my friends about it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']WOW. Classic.

So I used my points to get Secret Service, which is listed with a picture of the newest Secret Service game, which is still nothing but cheap shovelware. I get it in the mail today and it is the original Secret Service from 10 years ago.

Dunno what to do. The listing says release date 11/2008. But I think the sender was genuinely confused.

Any advice? Reject it? Do I really want the $5 sbucks back?

UPDATE:
So I set my trade to "bad trade: wrong item received" since it was the best option. The site then asked me to confirm and threatened me with banning, a $50 charge, and notification to authorities if my feedback was found to fraudulent.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there isn't too much we can do about sellers posting the wrong games. We try to give as much info as we can, but is sometimes still does happen.

About the message you received. We are very serious about fraudulent transactions on the site. And if a user IS fraudulent we will charge credit cards, sent to collection agencies, etc. If you are not fraudulent, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. We want to be very clear that fraudulent activity is not permitted. We want the site to be safe and secure for all gamers... it only takes a few "bad eggs" to hurt everyone.

Tips do not come out of your account. They are supplied by playSwitch to the seller. (If the buyer is happy with the transaction.)

[quote name='slidecage']why wouldnt it be coming out of your account?

i sent a game and it says i got 1 TIP but i never got any more bucks ...so maybe their system is messed up..

It still says i have 1 tip in my account yet it doesnt show anything[/QUOTE]

Each time you receive a tip it will be added to your "TIP" area. It is not an extra sbuck in your account. We have some features in the works that will utilize the tips you receive. However, I can't go into detail right now.

[quote name='slidecage']my email might be blocking your emails but if you dont yet..

is there any way you can send emails if a price of a game has change...

like if i post a game for say 25 bucks and someone has a buy price for 10... say that person ups their buy price to 15 or 20, i migh want to jump on that (or if a seller has dropped their prices)

right now i think the only way to do this is to check the site every day[/QUOTE]

We originally had an email that went out whenever a price went up or down. We received quite a bit of feedback saying that users didn't like this feature. (At the time it was on for all accounts.) We have thought about linking that feature to your wall so you would receive an update there (instead of an email), but haven't nailed down if it will happen or not at this point. We'll see what we can do!

[quote name='Ultra Woody']I love playSwitch.com and find it a great alternative to other trading sites. Once the user base expands the deals will come more often, but this is how is in the beginning. It'll be huge before you know it. I sell all my games fairly easily and they go for decent prices (sbucks), too. Having a dedicated forum on-site wouldn't hurt, though. Otherwise, I've had a fantastic experience and I tell all my friends about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear you like the site! We have thought about adding forums and will do our best to make it happen in the near future.

[quote name='Homerun17']I find annoying how you can't cancel a pending order....

Anyway redeemed Unreal Gold...hope it shows up[/QUOTE]
It's probably just like other trading sites; as soon as you having a pending order in the works, according the policies, this is a contract that you are required to follow through with. ALL trading sites do this, it's not uncommon at all. If you want the game, you want the game... why would you want to cancel on a game you want? Just saying.

people complainin about no games to pick from.. if you get a free game please toss up one of your games back on the site (even if its junk) instead of just taking the free game and not doing any trading (like some did with goozex)

keep the collection growing : )

[quote name='slidecage']people complainin about no games to pick from.. if you get a free game please toss up one of your games back on the site (even if its junk) instead of just taking the free game and not doing any trading (like some did with goozex)

keep the collection growing : )[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more. The site will grow if you let it, but you have to actively participate; games don't appear out of thin air.

[quote name='playswitch']Unfortunately, there isn't too much we can do about sellers posting the wrong games. We try to give as much info as we can, but is sometimes still does happen.

About the message you received. We are very serious about fraudulent transactions on the site. And if a user IS fraudulent we will charge credit cards, sent to collection agencies, etc. If you are not fraudulent, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. We want to be very clear that fraudulent activity is not permitted. We want the site to be safe and secure for all gamers... it only takes a few "bad eggs" to hurt everyone.[/QUOTE]

That will get a handful of legit people banned through which happens. Say if i trade 20-30 games for one month and since it is a new site say 5-10 come in bad shape aka unplayable or wrong items. Now since this is a new site this might happen more then others in the beginning. Now i would be freaked out to even report the 2 let alone 5-10 bad trades. This makes me want to hold off a little bit until the bugs get worked out so people do not do this and i have to deal with the cops banging at my door or whatever happens. Things happen and i doubt it will to me unless i do some serious trading on a new site that has users keep sending people rocks or wrong/broken items. I am not saying your site does this but it does make me go uhhh. You should do what half.com does which lets the user report 1 transaction every 30 days i believe? I order so much on there some people never send or send broken stuff. I just hope you guys are thinking about that side of things. I am a bit scared off on the whole online trading now a bit. I never got anything here but not worried about it anymore. I hope it works out and hope the ideas in emails helps. But it seems to troublesome for me to trade online right now anyways. Maybe in the near future.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']That will get a handful of legit people banned through which happens. Say if i trade 20-30 games for one month and since it is a new site say 5-10 come in bad shape aka unplayable or wrong items. Now since this is a new site this might happen more then others in the beginning. Now i would be freaked out to even report the 2 let alone 5-10 bad trades. This makes me want to hold off a little bit until the bugs get worked out so people do not do this and i have to deal with the cops banging at my door or whatever happens. Things happen and i doubt it will to me unless i do some serious trading on a new site that has users keep sending people rocks or wrong/broken items. I am not saying your site does this but it does make me go uhhh. You should do what half.com does which lets the user report 1 transaction every 30 days i believe? I order so much on there some people never send or send broken stuff. I just hope you guys are thinking about that side of things. I am a bit scared off on the whole online trading now a bit. I never got anything here but not worried about it anymore. I hope it works out and hope the ideas in emails helps. But it seems to troublesome for me to trade online right now anyways. Maybe in the near future.[/QUOTE]

The message is definitely not intended to scare everybody. It is just a word of warning to fraudulent traders. We have many different safeguards in place to know if a user is being fraudulent or not. One issue I see with only being able to report 1 transaction in 30 days is if you DO have a couple of bad transactions. We don't want to let the user who did nothing wrong get left holding a bad game. Our current system has been working EXTREMELY well. Our punishment is harsh for fraud, but it REALLY helps protect the honest traders.

[quote name='NewYorkelite']The site is "meh," but it has potential[/QUOTE]

Please send me a PM on ideas how we could make it better! We are always eager to get user feedback! We've had MANY great ideas from CAG members in the past (and implemented many of them).

[quote name='playswitch']Please send me a PM on ideas how we could make it better! We are always eager to get user feedback! We've had MANY great ideas from CAG members in the past (and implemented many of them).[/QUOTE]

The site is too confusing to use, ie. the learning curve is too high. With Goozex it's a fairly easy site to navigate and it's very easy to understand how the currency works. Your site should be at least as good as Goozex or no one will ever use it even if your promos are awesome.

[quote name='cheeky']The site is too confusing to use, ie. the learning curve is too high. With Goozex it's a fairly easy site to navigate and it's very easy to understand how the currency works. Your site should be at least as good as Goozex or no one will ever use it even if your promos are awesome.[/QUOTE]
I don't think this site is difficult to navigate at all. I'm a member of Goozex and playSwitch (although I def prefer playSwitch) and I thought Goozex's navigation was a bit odd, but not hard, just like playSwitch. Like most things, the more you use it the easier it'll get. If you think you have some good ideas on how to improve it, maybe you could post it here so we can all see it and comment what's good/bad about it. The more feedback the better.

[quote name='ezellaur']I'm assuming sellers can sit on bids for as long as they want?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it. The problem with these type of sites is that it is extremely easy for someone to make a website. The investment, as far as money, can be minimal.

We all appreciate the time put into designing and customer service, etc. etc., but these types of sites are basically no-risk. You have a couple of guys with an idea, they implement it, and if it goes wrong they can just shut it down with relatively little consequence of their own.

Any inventory is not theirs and any loss is not their since the people who would be screwed over are the people who converted their games into points that are rendered useless if the site goes belly up.

This is why people are wary of these trade sites and don't like to dive in.

If the owners showed at least some sort of personal investment into the whole scheme then it would give the site more credibility and the illusion that it might be around for a while since there is more than just a few people churning out code and responding to email invested in the company.

Why can't the tip system be in place already? What is holding that back?

How about a monthly or weekly raffle for a new game paid for by the site and for every trade you send (not receive) you get an entry?

That type of system seemed to work for gamedealdaily to get the site kick started.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Seems like it. The problem with these type of sites is that it is extremely easy for someone to make a website. The investment, as far as money, can be minimal.

We all appreciate the time put into designing and customer service, etc. etc., but these types of sites are basically no-risk. You have a couple of guys with an idea, they implement it, and if it goes wrong they can just shut it down with relatively little consequence of their own.

Any inventory is not theirs and any loss is not their since the people who would be screwed over are the people who converted their games into points that are rendered useless if the site goes belly up.

This is why people are wary of these trade sites and don't like to dive in.

If the owners showed at least some sort of personal investment into the whole scheme then it would give the site more credibility and the illusion that it might be around for a while since there is more than just a few people churning out code and responding to email invested in the company.

Why can't the tip system be in place already? What is holding that back?

How about a monthly or weekly raffle for a new game paid for by the site and for every trade you send (not receive) you get an entry?

That type of system seemed to work for gamedealdaily to get the site kick started.[/QUOTE]

i could see 1 trade = entry into a contest ... toss out a free game once a month to a random winner...

Hit up a sears and you can find some cheap games.. I found NBA 2009 the inside for the psp SEALED FOR 5 bucks..... there are tons of other games you can find sealed cheap... could get peopel to do more trades...

Im mostly going to try to do a 1 for 1 switch (maybe a 1.5 for 1 switch if the games are games i no longer want)

But learned from other sites the hard way... Do not stack up a ton of points .... I can see good things coming from this site if the owners keep up with the work and dont allow BUGS to get into their system and do nothing about it (like switchplanet did that is why it went belly up)

so far this is the 2nd best trade site i found (after goozex) i know of 1 or 2 others but dont really care for those at all

bread's done
Back