Pokemon Black and White: General Discussion and Info: For Real This Time

ya i agree the guide is not the best
hopefully Vol 2 will be like the Platinum guide that came out
lov that thing

and whats up with rustling grass, only seen in once

i have 2 copies of white
gonna trade the opened one to toy r us for black and maybe get a layton game as part of the half off deal

then buy more on amazon as part of the half off deal since i have a $10 credit

So is White/Black good for Pokemon newbs?

I dabbled a little bit on Diamond and Pearl, but never really got into needing to "catch them all". But I did enjoy the game on a casual level.

[quote name='adriley313']
and whats up with rustling grass, only seen in once[/QUOTE]

you get to fight Audino, which gives you a lot of experience points

[quote name='Cheska19']Is anyone playing B/W on a DSiXL? I still can't get my connection to work with it, even though I configured it with WPA. I just keep getting an error telling me to check my system settings :([/QUOTE]

Mine's working fine, got the Liberty Pass and everything.

One thing that happened to me in the past is that the DS requires you to set the "Channel" on your wireless settings to 1, 6, or 11. If you have the router dynamically choose a channel every time it boots up, it might select one that isn't compatible with the DS so go in and manually change it (then save it so it stays on one of those three even after reboot).

Hope that helps :)

[quote name='62t']you get to fight Audino, which gives you a lot of experience points[/QUOTE]

How do you fight Audino? I stood right where the grass was moving but nothing happened.

It should have automatically put you in a battle, unless you're mistaking the moving grass for ones that you/npc ran through. The grass will continually rustle, you can't miss it and you'll go right into a battle.

[quote name='maigoyume']It should have automatically put you in a battle, unless you're mistaking the moving grass for ones that you/npc ran through. The grass will continually rustle, you can't miss it and you'll go right into a battle.[/QUOTE]

I noticed it moving when I walked down the road. I ran to the exact spot and no battle took place. Weird.

Sadly the shaking bush will disappear if you run into another battle before reaching it. But it'll reappear soon. Just run up and down along side (not in) the grass where it shook before, and it'll reappear within a minute or so.

I was able to pick up all of the monkeys pretty fast that way. Course, I just wanted to use my Pansear from the getgo anyways. No berries for my rivals :D.

Yeah, I might have gotten into a battle before I got to the spot. Does Audino appear in other locations?

Route 1,2,3,5,6,7, 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18, P2 Laboratory, Dreamyard, Pinwheel Forest, Frozen Contain, Dragonspiral Tower, Bridge, Giant Chasm, Abundant Shrine, Lostlorn Forest

All in rustling grass :p

Each zone ~might~ have other rare/evolved PKMN in rustling grass to, but for the most part it's Audino w/ a high % chance.

ive seen on audino and one rustling grass
seen tons of water holes but i dont know surf

at least the guides helps with pokemon locations
i want the battle stratgies and cant wait for smogon to update with all the new pokemon

Surprised I don't see any friend codes?
Mine for Pokemon White: 3439 2449 3334

I have no idea how I'm going to transfer my Pokemon from my HG to White. There really needs to be GTS-compatibility or a cloud-service.

So just went and got Black DSi Bundle with White for free at K-Mart.

Debating bringing White back, getting Gold, then buying a White DSi Bundle and getting Silver for free.

Two DSi's and four games, wouldn't be to bad.

[quote name='Dranakin']Surprised I don't see any friend codes?
Mine for Pokemon White: 3439 2449 3334

I have no idea how I'm going to transfer my Pokemon from my HG to White. There really needs to be GTS-compatibility or a cloud-service.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting that forever :( There should at least be a method to "lock" any Pokemon you put on the GTS to a specific Trainer ID you want to trade with.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Route 1,2,3,5,6,7, 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18, P2 Laboratory, Dreamyard, Pinwheel Forest, Frozen Contain, Dragonspiral Tower, Bridge, Giant Chasm, Abundant Shrine, Lostlorn Forest

All in rustling grass :p

Each zone ~might~ have other rare/evolved PKMN in rustling grass to, but for the most part it's Audino w/ a high % chance.
[/QUOTE]

I came across one earlier in Pinwheel. Layed the smackdown on it and got like close to 1200 XP.

Is it just me, or is some of the Pokemon capturing a bit ridiculous? I had a LV. 14 down to red health, used a Great Ball, and it immediately got out. I had to use 2 Greatballs and 1 regular just to capture it. What's next, Master Balls for LV. 20s? :D

that seems to be the case. I got lvl 2 and 3 pokemon breaking out of 2 pokeball, which is almost unheard of in previous games

[quote name='62t']that seems to be the case. I got lvl 2 and 3 pokemon breaking out of 2 pokeball, which is almost unheard of in previous games[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Man, I had the same thing happen when I first started. I couldn't believe it.

So far been enjoying the game I beaten the last gym leader and got all three starters now for my team so I can continue playing on my game.

My pokemon white game's trainer name is Anri team is Oshawott, Snivy, Tepig, Purloinn, patrat, and lilipup.

I'll keep one starter and change team up once I get going with the game.

I love the music just ordered Heargold soulsilver soundtrack off of yesasia and the black and white soundtrack off of play-asia can't wait for it to come!

Out of the three starters which ones do you like battle wise?

I love playing this game most of the pokemon I haven't seen except for the ones that was shown at mall tour and the starters and legendary so I get excited when I see poke'mon I haven't seen reminds of old pokemon red days..

Ever since they decided to show what kind of ball you used to catch a PKMN, I've been catching legendaries with Pokeballs exclusively... throwing and resetting a million times. I'm not too keen on the new catch %s to say the least -.-

At least I don't abide by that rule with breed-able PKMN :)

They introduced a critical capture in B/W. Here's the info from Bulbapedia:

In Generation V, there is a chance of a critical capture, where the Poké Ball will only shake once, thus providing a higher catch ratio. When a critical capture occurs, the Poké Ball will pause in mid-air and make a metal noise. Critical captures rarely fail and will almost always capture the Pokémon. Critical captures occur about as often as Critical hits, making them quite rare, however even with such a small chance of occurring, a critical capture still presents a massive boost to the overall chance of capture for Pokémon with a catch rate of 3, who may have odds as low as .4%.

Is there anyway to connect my DSi to a password protected Wifi even if i know the password?

Wanna trade but can't?
Besides a USB adapter.

[quote name='adriley313']Is there anyway to connect my DSi to a password protected Wifi even if i know the password?

Wanna trade but can't?
Besides a USB adapter.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to connect to a WEP or a WPA setting? WEP is connections 1-3, WPA is 4-6. My DSiXL connected to my wireless settings, but the game refuses to connect online >.>

nvm i fixed it and im on and all good

anyone wanna trade a Gothita for Solosis?
id rather have Gothita and she looks cool

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just after the fifth badge. My team is Pignite (29), Tirtouga (30), Tranquill (29), Krokorok (29), Leavanny (29) and Zebstrika (27).

I was originally planning on using Deerling when I came across it (and I just did), but me and Leavanny have become such bros that I don't think I can do it. I still plan on using Lightning Spider whenever I find it though, I have no attachment to Zebstrike.

[quote name='icedrake523']Why do a lot of people have Tirtouga? The fossil bird is so much better, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Cause it is a turtle.

Fair point. Didn't notice there weren't many options since I was planning on choosing Oshawott. It's good for me that so many people chose the turtle, have a lot of options to trade for it.

Victini is a mother fucking boss! Dual Psychic/Fire Type :drool:

I'm just about to face the 4th gym leader and my team so far is

Snivy (LV 29)
Tepig (LV 29)
Oshawott (29)
Victini (29)
(I dont like to evolve my pokemon right away cause I want them to learn new moves faster)

I'm waiting until I get to Chargestone Cave so I can catch a Tynamo. I also plan on waiting to catch Golett and Deino on my team as well. Once I get those three, I may ditch Tepig or may just train him on the side so I have a fighting type when he evolves into Emboar.

You should have evolve Tepig at level 17, as he gets fighting sub type and gains Arm Thrust, a very useful fighting move.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Timeos']How did you acquire all three starters?[/QUOTE]

I got both Black and White from Kmart from the Buy 1 get 1 50% off so I traded all three starters into my white game.

@ 62t fuck I didn't even think of that :cry:. I guess I could use a heart scale to acquire it.

I got a quick question, it says that Emboar learns Hammer Arm at level 1, but Pignite evolves at level 36. If you use a Heart Scale on Emboar will he be able to learn Hammer Arm? I'm pretty positive he will just want to make sure.

[quote name='Metal Militia']I got both Black and White from Kmart from the Buy 1 get 1 50% off so I traded all three starters into my white game.

@ 62t fuck I didn't even think of that :cry:. I guess I could use a heart scale to acquire it.

I got a quick question, it says that Emboar learns Hammer Arm at level 1, but Pignite evolves at level 36. If you use a Heart Scale on Emboar will he be able to learn Hammer Arm? I'm pretty positive he will just want to make sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that'll work. It'll also be a bred on move if you have two Emboars that know it and you use them to make an egg.

Edit - Or not. Tepig won't learn it at that stage. Guess it helps if you can use your arms for something other than walking.

Figure I'll jump in here with where I am. I just beat Elesa (my new favorite gym leader ever), and my team stands as follows, along with impressions:

(spoilered for hugeness)

Pignite - Lv. 30 - diverse powerhouse that can take down just about anything, though the general lack of psychic and water types in the game thus far is probably a big reason why he never gets OHKO'd. He went down from a trainer's Sigilyph in the Desert Resort and that was about it. I'm dreading the first mandatory cave as I'll probably have to deal with Woobat's evolution.

Audino - Lv. 30 - surprisingly solid defensively, and I seem to have luck inflicting status problems with Secret Power. He was a bitch to train initially when his only offensive move was DoubleSlap, but he's holding his weight now.

Boldore - Lv. 31 - Like Pignite, very solid as long as he's not up against his weaknesses. I'm hoping his movepool becomes better as he levels as, after learning Smack Down, Power Gem was useless because of his low SpAtk and Rock Slide was basically a somewhat stronger version of Smack Down with a chance of Flinch. I'm going to keep Iron Defense as I can probably wipe a couple of gym leaders who don't specialize in anti-rock types just by using Boldore as my lead, spamming Iron Defense, then spamming Rock Slide.

Petilil - Lv. 29 - I seem to never learn my lesson that grass types can rarely go the distance and Petilil is pretty standard. My only damaging attack is Magical Leaf right now, as I tend to choose Synthesis and pass on all the Drain moves so I can have one or two spaces for status effect moves. I have a sun stone and could evolve her at any time, but I sneaked a peek on Petilil's evo's movepool on Bulbapedia and it's terrible compared to keeping Petilil unevolved until around Lv. 50. Probably the most likely of my party to get ditched before the Elite 4 (and as much as I like him now, Audino as well just because you really have to fill your party with third-stage evolved Pokemon with powerful elemental attacks to survive.)

I have a Lv. 25 Pidove hanging around the party too, but I can't stand to evolve him because his first form is way nicer-looking compared to his evolutions, IMO. He'll probably just stick around long enough to be my initial Fly user until I encounter a cooler flying type.

I've also been training a Panpour, currently at Lv. 24. Seems to die easily, even when not in a bad type match-up, but I just need to find a good spot for Audino farming.

As for my next party member, I'm looking at Sigilyph and/or Dwebble, though with Dwebble I'd prefer not to have two rock types in my party yet. With Boldore and Pignite, that would make three water weaknesses in my party. I know that there's no water gym, but I just like spreading weakness around.

Game is awesome, already way better than DPPt to me and hopefully surpasses RSE for me as well. I haven't been this into capturing and training pretty much every new Pokemon I come across since GSC (probably has something to do with them having a high concentration of awesome new designs this time.)

Also, Audino farming ftw though it's almost making the game feel not grindy enough in spots, haha.

Hey guys

Just "beat" the game last night. What a crazy final battle. Spoiler tags around my craziest Pokemon moment for those who haven't beaten the game.

So, I catch Reshiram, beat N fairly easily, and get to Ghetsis. Everything goes fairly well halfway through the battle. Eventually, he throws out his MONSTER of a Hydriegon. Wipes out almost my entire team in one hit due to its speed, stats, and having a movepool of surf, fire blast, focus blast, and I believe Dragon Pulse. It gets down to my last guy, Stoutland. A normal type with intimidate and a decent special defense, but nothing to write home about. He focus blasts me, and Stoutland is left with ONE HP LEFT. Stoutland hits him with reversal, and one shots him. The Tympole evolution comes out, and I take the opportunity to max revive Serperior, and when Serperior comes out, Reshiram. End up sweeping the rest of his team.

Anyways, my current team:

Sawk Lv. 47 (He's always trailing behind in levels but consistently maintains the highest overall attack. The most boring one on my team, perhaps, but he always kicks ass. always)
Serperior Lv. 57 (Sweet jesus this guy has become awesome. It has kickass defenses and attack, and its leaf blade wipes the floor with everything that isnt carrying a resistance. Still needs better movepool)
Carracosta Lv. 50 (What a badass of a sea turtle this guy has become. It supports rock, water, and dark types with great stats everywhere but speed. fantastic)
Stoutland Lv. 50 (He has saved my ass on two different occasions carrying 1 HP left, and has provided an amazing wall for legendaries. He can learn SURF. Might be my MVP of this game)
Zebstrika Lv. 46 (Started as an underlevelled burden, became an overlevelled badass, then a burden, eventually ending up as an underleveled badass. Didn't get to do as much at the end due to a lack of appropriate situation, but he too has saved my ass a few times)

Reshiram Lv. 51? (I dont want a legendary on my team by the time I have to
beat the real elite four
. He is really kickass though.

For my last guy, I want Swanna, but its part water type. I also wanted Druddigon, but he, for some reason, can't learn fly. I have a Deino now, so Im thinking about Hydreigon.

[quote name='Timeos']How did you acquire all three starters?[/QUOTE]
Borrow the other starters from your friends and breed eggs from them.

I used to be a huge pokemon fan back when I played Red/Blue. I picked up SS last year and got bored of it somewhat quick since it felt the same as Red/Blue. However, I was able to pick up Black on launch, and wow, what a game! I love the new characters and game style. The new pokemon are amazing too. Very fun and addictive game that I've only put an hour into so far. I can't believe some people have already beaten the game! Damn!

This game has me hooked! I love it. :drool:

I've beaten the second gym and so far my team is the three starters they all evolved while fighting trainers and the gym and I got purloinn and now the electric zebra.

I can't wait for the CDS to come they ship on the 24th.

This Sunday I'm going to my brothers to see if his wifi works with my ds or dsi so I can get the liberty ticket, library and Starbucks wouldn't work for me. >.

I'm loving all the new stuff in the game, everything just feels so FRESH.

New graphics, new pokemon, excellent pacing, story is deeper, everything just works.

How many hours have you guys put in the game so far that you're already beating it?

When did DS games start supporting WPA? I know the DSi supports it but I haven't run across a game that supports it until Black/White.

Played for 3 hours last night. I'm about to enter the cave to follow Team Plasma after they stole the girl's Pokemon. I have captured 5 wild Pokemon, all on the first Poke Ball throw.

bread's done
Back