Pokemon Go

Just got back from a week in Tucson, AZ.  Like everywhere else but home the spawns there are more interesting and diverse.

For the first half of the week we still had the water event going on.  We didn't manage to find a single Lapras during the entire event, though, so that was disappointing.

My son and I did get shiny karps though (before we went on the trip).  I was hoping for another so I could evolve one.  Now I'm not sure since mine is CP 70 and 22-27% IV.  Pretty terrible.  I'd rather wait for another but the encounter rate is much less now.   We went to a water biome area 10+ miles from our house this weekend and encountered about 3 karp in an hour.  So we're not going to find many shinies that way.

In Tucson we managed to find a few things that never spawn near us: 1 x Miltank, 1 x Larvitar, 1 x Mareep, 1 x Flaafy.  That was the extent of it, pretty much.  Oh yeah, I did find one Chansey but cell reception was crappy there and my son couldn't get it.   And just as we suspected, the gym scene there is pretty much ruined because of all the Blisseys.  Fortunately it is not like that back home because of the utter lack of Chansey here.  We did manage to get ourselves into 2 high level gyms in Tucson, though, which we are still holding.  And we kept about 4 back home for the entire week we were gone.

During the trip we passed through SeaTac and SFO and both picked up 10km eggs from those places.  They all sucked (Gligars and Sudowoodos and the like).

I'm sure there will be some sort of egg event for Easter and it might involve incubators being on sale (or in packages like last time).  So I'm trying to build up some coins for that.

'm sure there will be some sort of egg event for Easter and it might involve incubators being on sale (or in packages like last time). So I'm trying to build up some coins for that.
I'm sure double candy bonus from eggs will be in effect. Also your trip to Tucson sounds all too familiar to my biome (obviously the same state here in Phoenix). Tyranitar is becoming another nuisance, pushing up the CP requirement gym scene here in addition to the Blissey overload.

My third 10km egg I was cooking turned into a good IV (15 Atk at least) Mareep, pretty happy about that. Also I caught a wild Pupitar just now, so everything is coming up Milhouse (for now).

I'm sure double candy bonus from eggs will be in effect.
I've also heard rumors about requiring 1/2 as much candy for evolutions/power-ups. So even though I'm bored now and want to evolve a bunch of stuff I'm going to hold off to see what (if anything) happens for the event.

I've also heard rumors about requiring 1/2 as much candy for evolutions/power-ups. So even though I'm bored now and want to evolve a bunch of stuff I'm going to hold off to see what (if anything) happens for the event.
While on one side of the coin that would be awesome with the 1/2 candy requirement, it could create alot of jaded gamers (and they don't need that with their user base) if they did some heavy candy investment into powering up any 'mon above level 25 prior to the event. Double candy / 0.25 or 0.5 buddy walking requirements are pretty safe though by comparison.

Don't forget the dust requirement to power up said pokemon. I think I spend 160k in dust just maxing out 2 high IV Gyarados and topping off other members of my collection.

The elite gym occupiers will continue to afford incubators, eggs, lures, etc and the benefits from that. Incubators being the most bang for your coin.

I'm waiting for double transfer candy event and currently harboring about 15 Abras and 18 Eevee's.

I was completely out of stardust a few weeks ago, but thanks to my Pogo+ I'm back up to 300,000 already.  I have lots of stuff that I want to power up (especially as I'm about to hit level 34).  I'm waiting to see what happens, though, first, with any event.  I was really hoping they'd start it tomorrow and run for 2 weeks, but it is more likely to start next week.

Edit: Dammit, missed the first Snorlax we've seen in months.  My son saw it at a nearby Starbucks stop but we were in the process of dropping my other son and his girlfriend off.  By the time we turned around to go get it, it fled (for real - we went there anyway and no sign of it).  That was seriously like the first decent spawn of anything we've seen in our town in months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually mildly annoyed that the Farfetch'd I saw in a local gym didn't register in my pokedex, yet Mr. Mime & Kang has.

My cousin caught a Snorlax but it's low IV & even lower CP so it's more just a trophy, while it might seem like the right move to make him a buddy...Larvitar is a much better investment it seems for him.

The only decent spawn in my area ever were, a 2691 Gyarados during the water event of which I failed to catch. Outside of the events, nothing that I've ever seen on the map or been able to catch let alone notice.

I started on 7/11/16 and still no sighting of Snorlax or Dragonite on the map...and I've been to Central Park many times. I just recently got enough candy to evolve a Dragonite. I've only seen Gyarados once and I thought it was an urban myth that s/he spawns.

I haven't seen a Lapras in the wild at all. One spawned near where I work about a month ago, but by the time I could leave work to get it, it was gone. 

Just hatched a 10km Lapras with 87% IV's.  Eh.  Guess it's better than Gligar or Pineco or Woody.

Also, it looks like most/all major retailers have Go Plus in stock?  I just ordered one for pickup at Best Buy.  I had passed a few times in the past, but I'm ready to just auto-pilot on my walks to/from work.  Will really only play on the phone during events.

I already had an 87%. I am happy with the candy though.
Just really need to hatch those Larvitar or Mareep. I don't have any Mareep.

I started on 7/11/16 and still no sighting of Snorlax or Dragonite on the map...and I've been to Central Park many times. I just recently got enough candy to evolve a Dragonite. I've only seen Gyarados once and I thought it was an urban myth that s/he spawns.
I've caught 786 Magikarp and only once did I ever see a Gyarados in the wild. It was when I was in Atlanta for work and I saw it from my hotel room at like 2am. I hopped in my rental car and drove down there and even though it was really low CP it ran after one attempt.

I haven't seen a Lapras in the wild at all. One spawned near where I work about a month ago, but by the time I could leave work to get it, it was gone.
Never seen one either. I've hatched 2 but my son has yet to hatch or catch one. It is really bugging him. It pisses me off that people are posting on reddit that they caught like 4 in one day during the water event. We were all over the place during that event (drove around here at home looking for stuff, went through SeaTac and SFO airports, drove all over Tucson) and never even saw one of the nearby. We used lures and incense. So it's not like we didn't try.

Also, it looks like most/all major retailers have Go Plus in stock? I just ordered one for pickup at Best Buy. I had passed a few times in the past, but I'm ready to just auto-pilot on my walks to/from work. Will really only play on the phone during events.
I picked one up at Gamestop for my son last week but they got very limited stock - like 2 per store. I swallowed the bullet and paid sales tax (yuck) and didn't use my GS credit (which was at home) so he could have one for the last few days of our trip. It was also available (last week) for order from Amazon with a 4/1 shipping date, but that seems to have passed. Now there are a whole bunch of third-party sellers listing them new for $2.88 on Amazon. I don't know what's up with that, but I'd be very suspicious. The first real listing looks like $42.82. Given that people were trying to get $100+ for them a few months ago I'd say the supply is finally starting to catch up.

but I'm ready to just auto-pilot on my walks to/from work. Will really only play on the phone during events.
I know you're talking about Pogo Plus, but I feel like that's how I play the game. Between events there is hardly anything to get excited for (keep waiting for the off chance of catching a perfect / near perfect IV Houndour / Snubbull is probably one of the daily goals), and 'mons I should be seeing in at least recordable levels (Mareep, Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Larvitar) have been in a record low since the water event ended. I did catch that random Pupitar though recently, but that was more fluke luck than something consistent.

I should be seeing at least one of those a day (not all four, but at least one of the four to get the blood pumping a bit), and even Pikachu and the Gen 1 starters have been much lower in occurrence it seems as of late. For now my only real drivers to play every day are the gym bonuses and letting my GPS drift hatch some eggs / buddy distance.

They need to introduce the rest of the shinies when they aren't otherwise having an event.  That would provide at least some more low-key, long-term interest to people.  Right now it is just.. blah... My son and I are still trying to take 6-10 gyms every day to build up coins, but that's about it.  Someone took the 3 closest gyms to us today. We've had them for 2 weeks.  So as soon as my wife gets back with the car, that's our mission.

We haven't seen a good Pokémon since we've been back from Tucson other than the one Snorlax we couldn't get to in time.  I don't think we'll ever see a Unown, let alone collect them all :roll:.

I did hit level 34 and while I am going to wait to see the details of the Easter event before I power up too many things, I couldn't resist doing a few of the ones I have a ton of candy for like my top two Gyarados and Vaporeons.  But, man, the stardust goes by fast when powering things up at this level.  It is 7000 a shot now (with 8 candies).  I'm holding off on my Dragonite and Snorlax upgrades for sure hoping that the candy requirements will be lowered for the event (but they probably won't be).

Yeah I haven't even thought about Unown yet, I'd think by now someone would of posted them in a gym to show them off, however I'm sure their low CP means they were kicked out before I had a chance to scan them.

Been saving up my coins per your suggestion, hopefully they have an incubator sale or something at the least.

Went to Milwaukee this weekend.  Saw the same garbage I see at home.  Best sighting was a Blastoise at a stop, and we didn't even go out for it. 

There's a red player that occupies gyms in my neighborhood that has 6 Blissey's, all near or over 3000 cp. Really? Seriously? 50 candy for each evolution, 150+ candy for each Blissey to max or near max out.

I have 1000+ Pinsir candy because Pinsir is so abundant near my job that I've caught him as many times as I probably caught pidegy. I even have a perfect IV Pinsir due to the frequency I've caught this guy.

...but Chansey though? I'm callin' shenanigans.

There's a red player that occupies gyms in my neighborhood that has 6 Blissey's, all near or over 3000 cp. Really? Seriously? 50 candy for each evolution, 150+ candy for each Blissey to max or near max out.

I have 1000+ Pinsir candy because Pinsir is so abundant near my job that I've caught him as many times as I probably caught pidegy. I even have a perfect IV Pinsir due to the frequency I've caught this guy.

...but Chansey though? I'm callin' shenanigans.
Probably spoofed during the Valentines event. In my biome I saw plenty of them, enough to catch around 40 (total caught 50 for me, two of which were hatches and the rest 8 I'm estimating I've caught during non-events). With double candy floating around that would be 7 per Chansey (6 plus transfer), so I personally gained about 280-ish candy from that event.

I was only moderately playing (maybe an hour or so a day at most), but if I was able to spend triple that time during the event, it may be possible to get that many candies (and in that catch rate get lucky with a decent IV / high level Chansey).

I'm certain the guy spoofed, but he would have to be catching alot if he was.

Yeah I even caught a Chansey in Tucson while I was there a few weeks back (not during the increased spawn event).  I'm sure it was amazing there during the event - not just Exeggcutes and Jigglypuffs like we got here (with the occasional Lickitung).  If I had been there during the Valentines event I would have stocked up pretty well I'm sure.  But I wouldn't have 6 3000+ ones because I wouldn't have the stardust for that no matter how many Chanseys I caught.  I just have the one, and it is only at 2400 due to lack of candy and stardust.  While, in general, I'm opposed to the biome-dependent events (where things just increase their rates so if you don't ever have them you still don't get them), I wouldn't mind if there was a Snorlax-based one to make up for the Chansey/Blissey one.  Snorlax is to us here in the grass biome as Chansey is to the people in the desert biome: rare, but not unheard of.

So, we are running out of time for an Easter event.  Most people figure it would start tomorrow (Weds) and there has been no leaked info about it as far as I can tell.  Maybe it will start on the weekend.  They might also hold off on Easter and do something for Earth Day instead (which is a week later).  Or possibly weekend-to-weekend to cover both.

I've just been keeping my catch and stop streaks going, and trying to maintain 7-8 gyms, which has been pretty easy as I've had 6 left alone for 2-3 days now, so I generally just need to get 1 or 2 as I'm out doing errands.  There's definitely a downturn in local players right now.  But as usual, an event will bring them back.

Gyms have stabilized (or, rather, stagnated) in our town with Instinct maintaining 5 level 10 gyms on the northeast side for the past few months, and us Mystics holding the 4 on the south side (mostly due to me as I take the ones closest to my house back as quickly as I can so I think I've gotten my point across).  Valor has been content to dominate the outlying gyms (some on farms, small airport, etc) for months now.  Downtown is usually up for grabs with its 5 gyms, but right now we have two level 10's there and Valor and Instinct each have another, which was just unheard of prior to this month.  Those used to be high turnover gyms that would change multiple times per day.

I got my last required evolution item this week and now have a Politoed.   So now those items are just piling up and soon I'll probably start deleting them.  The only one I haven't evolved yet is Porygon, but I have 3 Up-grades now.  My one sole Porygon has low IVs and I don't quite have enough candy either.  I stopped walking it because I'm determined to wait until I hatch a better one.  But considering I've only ever hatched one out of 600+ eggs, I'll probably be waiting a while.

Currently at 234 seen / 226 caught on the Pokedex.  I have not even seen a Corsola (surprised by that, as I figured our local spoofer would put him in a gym like he did with Heracross day 1) or an Unown.  My son saw a Unown in a gym in Tucson but I avoided looking at it so it wouldn't register.  As for ones I can actually get, eventually, I'm just missing Porygon 2, Hitmontop, Pupitar, Tyranitar, and Amphoros.

yay Team Mystic.

Currently Red is dominating my area...Normally it's Team Mystic, but I'm guessing the majority of them are on spring break or something. I had a good run of coin harvesting but now it's near impossible to wake up and cash in on stuff from previous night.

I have the mats for Pory 2 & Sunflora? I'm just waiting for a higher IV.

I'm tempted to as my friend stationed in Korea to login as me and catch some Far'fetched.

I'm at 216 Caught / 225 Seen, still missing a fair amount from Gen 2 (really surprised Phanpy are not more common around here being a pure ground type 'mon), but I have most all of the evolve item 'mons (holding off on a good IV hatch for Porygon 2.

Kind of bummed that my only 100% IV 'mon Seadra turned into a Dragon Breath / Blizzard Kingdra.  I was hoping for a double dragon moveset and then pumping my stardust in it, but now I might just wait for another scale and evolve my 93-94% one.

For the other evolve items, my third metal coat won't get much use (dumping any candy I get into maxing my current ones out), I might try for another Slowking (first one got Water Gun / Blizzard) if I get another King's rock, and any additional Sun stones I'll just randomly evolve a Sunkern.  Sunflora with the right moveset is actually a very good prestiger in the current meta, could be replacing my army of Parasects if I get enough of them.

221 Caught, 228 Seen for me.
Complete NA Gen 1 Pokédex. Could be at 224 caught, but saving for better IV's.

Caught: 210

Seen: 222

I saw a Farfetch'd in a gym but it didn't register after the big patch back during the Christmas event. Currently waiting for better IV's as well for Sunflora, Kingdra, and Porygon 2.

Gen 1 (missing): Snorlax, Farfethc'd, Mr. Mime, and Kang.

Latest rumor (at least there is one finally) is that starting tomorrow there will be double XP and higher-rarity hatches (so more Snorlax or Lapras for example).  Nothing about candy or incubator sales - both of which are way more useful to me that double XP.  I'm actually trying to slow my roll, now, on levelling up, especially since I have the Pogo+.  I don't want to rush to level 40 as that is the end.  Hopefully they will raise the level cap at some point though.

It is entirely thanks to our local spoofer that I have Kang, Farfetch'd, Mr Mime, and Heracross in my 'dex now.  I have maybe seen one of those in another gym once.  I'm trying to convince my daughter to catch me a Mr. Mime in Germany when she goes in about a month.  But she has no interest whatsoever in doing it so we'll see.  It would be hard for me to maintain the discipline for that as well.  I'd have to stop playing the day before she left, the entire time she is trying to catch one (and if she does agree, she will probably take her time), then another day after she catches one.  And I'd probably want her to catch 3, if possible, so I can trade them to my other kids eventually.  It probably makes more sense for me to have her use my little kids' account, since they don't play as actively.  But then I'd have to wait for trading to get one ;).

With a fair amount of regionals now it would make sense for a summer vacation themed week, where there would be an extra 5 pokemon (at most) for people to go out and hunt, to catch things not normally in their region.  Even Tauros has become pretty rare (used to be stupidly common before the semi-recent update) so I wouldn't mind seeing more of them in an event even, good gym fodder.

I've run into an interesting bug. Apparently the latest update has decided to not work on my phone- at first it gave the no GPS signal error and then it just stopped loading completely. Now, if you go to the login screen and click on the Google login it just spins and then throws up an Unable to Authenticate error. I've tried everything short of factory resetting my phone, which I'm really not inclined to do for this game. It's been "fun" carrying around 2 phones to play, but it's getting really old pretty fast.

I've been having pretty terrible luck with eggs lately, aside from hatching a 100% Togepi. I'm still missing Igglybuff of the babies, but I've amassed quite the Cleffa collection. Yay.

Funny...NYC has a lot of Tauros, though I haven't caught a Tauros by the Wall Street Bull yet. That may be AR picture worthy.

Was hoping more for double candy and 1/2 buddy walk rate vs. double xp. Water Event almost gave me a level due to the high volume of fish spawns.

And, we get an event!
More 2km's hatches (with more candy), double XP, and 50% off Lucky Eggs.

Blah, pretty much all XP based with only lucky eggs being on sale.  There's supposed to be extra candy from eggs and lots of stuff in 2km eggs.  This thread on reddit has the list of what's in 2km eggs now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/657rna/special_2k_egg_discussion/

So, yeah, I'm still glad I saved up my coins because otherwise I would have used them prior to this on incubators to hatch normal crap and would probably once again be full of older eggs but with no coins.  Now I'm full of older eggs but at least with 1100 coins.  I just bought a few incubators to clear out these old ones and then will try to hatch as many new 2km eggs as I can during the event.  So far there's nothing on that list that I really need (though Lapras will be nice for my son).  I don't see MF-ing Porygon on there for example.  Someone in the thread did just say they hatched a Larvitar from one though (as of now it is not on the list).

Edit: The candy reports from egg hatches on reddit are pretty low: 6 or 12 or 13, numbers like that.  Those don't seem to be boosted candy amounts so the only really good part of the event seems to be broken/bugged. Edit #2: so, apparently, this is "more" candy than before.  The max from 2km eggs was 10 - so people getting 12 or 13 is more than before.  The problem is that since these are all 2km eggs, the candy output is low compared to 5km and 10km eggs.  I never really noticed the difference in candy amounts from the different eggs before - probably because I nearly always get 5km eggs.

Bought a whole bunch of incubators and hatched my old 2km egg.  It was a Machop - which is exactly what I needed since I have a 93% IV Machamp to power up.  I think I got 16 candies which is pretty good for a 2km egg so that must be the extra candies in effect. 

But then I got my first new egg for the event: a 5km :roll:

I was hoping that an egg hatched during the event if though collected before 4/13 would yield bonus candy.

Nay.

However, after all those Gilgars I hatched my 2nd Chansey last night. 17 candy... le sigh but, Chansey tho. Now I can put her in the buddy slot and unleash my perfect Blissey unto the world.

Grabbed 2 incubators myself and spun 1 - 2km egg this event so far. Should hatch during my walk to lunch. Larvitar would be great another Chansey would be even better.

I'm surprised there isn't a holiday themed Pikachu w/bunny ears or a Chocolate Azmauril.

Happy Hunting ppl.

I'm surprised there isn't a holiday themed Pikachu w/bunny ears or a Chocolate Azmauril.
I thought the same exact thing, people like getting the special edition Pikachu when they come out.

Kind of bummed about the "no extra candy on older eggs" business, I was saving up two 10km eggs just in case before the event, but at the least I'll get 2K experience instead of 1K. I'm glad that I hoarded coins though, I'll be able to hatch the excess eggs quickly and work on the new ones as they come in. Don't think I want to put a 2km egg in a breakable incubator though...

I'll keep track of my new egg hatches here.  My first new egg was actually a 5km one.

As before, 10km, 5km, 2km color coding...

So far: Totodile, Phanpy, Sudowoodo, Charmander, Magby, Shellder, (Dratini from old 10km egg), Sneasel, Smoochum, Sneasel, Girafarig, Squirtle, Wooper, Elekid, Eevee, Miltank, Gastly, Tyrogue (that turned into my first Hitmontop), Girafarig, Growlithe, Misdreavus, Cleffa, Machop, Sneasel, Slowpoke, Wooper, Abra, Slowpoke, Eevee, Igglybuff, Magby, Charmander, Eevee

My son hatched a Lapras from one of his very first new 2km eggs, so he was pretty happy.  Says he's done now ;).

Pokestops during this event have pooped out all 2km eggs for me so far. There might (2) 5 km eggs mixed in there that were pulled pre-event.

So far: Grimer, Tenacool, Machop, Slowpoke, Wooper, Machop, Machop.

I'm pretty sure I hatched at least (2) more 2km eggs that were nothing to write home about...might have been a low cp Ryhorn.

If I could trade candy I would.

...that said, (2) Charmanders from the last 2 km eggs. One gave me 7 candy, the other 12. Their CP was 459 & 458...go figure.

Took the train to Chicago so my brother could try Chicago style pizza.
Hatched a 2km Miltank while there.

Then, turned around with a 5km Chikorita (finally good IV's). Snagged a Snorlax while riding Lyft. Good stuff.

2 more Charmanders from 2km eggs (non at the IV that I'm comfortable going full Charizard for)

Took down 7 gyms w/my little one last night, even saw they got occupied by the familiar locals who seems to have nothing less than 3100 cp everything. A few hours later, all taken down by the other familiar locals who seem to have nothing less than 3100 cp everything...at least my boy had a great time.

Caught: 212

Seen: 224

Still waiting on a higher eevee IV for Espeon & Umreon before naming her. A few more candy for Ursaring also.

After the 20th...my trainer is flying to Korea! (though I wish I were going too)

Apparently eggs are dropping from every stop spin now.  So make sure you fill up before the event ends Thurs at 1pm Pacific.

Apparently eggs are dropping from every stop spin now. So make sure you fill up before the event ends Thurs at 1pm Pacific.
I have noticed as soon as an egg hatches, I get one immediately after the next spin...also 5km are starting to fill up my carton lately.

Last 2 km eggs: slowpoke, phanpy, phanpy, slowpoke, girafarig.

That event was sort of meh but the game for sure dies off when there is NO event at all.

Anyway, I'm still working through my last eggs from the event as I don't have a bunch of incubators running now, but here's what I ended up with so far:

Totodile, Phanpy, Sudowoodo, Charmander, Magby, Shellder, Sneasel, Smoochum, Sneasel, Girafarig, Squirtle, Wooper, Elekid, Eevee, Miltank, Gastly, Tyrogue, Girafarig, Growlithe, Misdreavus, Cleffa, Machop, Sneasel, Slowpoke, Wooper, Abra, Slowpoke, Eevee, Igglybuff, Magby, Charmander, Eevee, Wooper, Tyrogue, Grimer, Abra

Still have 4 more 2km eggs and 2 5km eggs left to hatch from the event.  I didn't get any 10km eggs the whole time.  I don't know what the state of eggs is now - did it go back to the way it was before the event?  I won't find out for a while given I still have 6 of the old ones to get through with 1-2 incubators.

I burned around 1500 coins on incubators during the event.  All of those were coins from gyms that I had saved up in anticipation of the event or earned during it.  All in all, it really wasn't worth it, though, as the only decent things I've gotten are the Tyrogue that I evolved into a Hitmontop, the Miltank, and the one Machop (which hatched from 2km eggs before anyway).  That's 3 good things out of 36 eggs.  Yuck.

Same (egg reaction).

I bought 2 incubators more to clear my eggventory...but nothing really came out of the eggs that helped. I have a high IV rhydon but his CP is low, I'd likely run out of both candy and dust getting him to a decent IV. After the Water & Easter events, the bar in my area is now 2900+ and higher than my Gyarados is everywhere due to the higher leveled trainers.

Still have 5 - 2km Easter Eggs, and 4 - 5km Easter Eggs. If they even count. I'm hoping they do since I hatched Chansey from a 10km during the event but previously spun, she didn't yield any extra candy as I would have hoped.

I guess there's new behind the scenes changes in-game.

Apparently, under level 30 players will see different IV's and different moves from the same Pokemon.  Players above 30 will still have the same IV's and moves when they pick up the same Pokemon.

Interesting, as it looks like Niantic is trying to address low level botters IV scanning.

All in all the event was good for me, I liked the more rapid fire hatchings of multiple 2km eggs, although in the end I didn't get anything really exciting from them (only exceptions were two Togepi, one with high IVs).  Didn't pick up a single 5km egg during the whole event, so no Gen2 starters with high IVs...

The two sole 10km eggs I picked up during the event were good, one was a Snorlax (still cursed with Lick / EQ, but I appreciated the extra candy), but the other was a high IV Porygon that I immediately turned into a Porygon2 (decent moveset too of Charge Beam / Solar Beam).

That alone made the whole event worth it, along with, you know, all the extra XP to finally get to level 33.

Was at a park today with the kids and just catching Pokémon on the side.  So when I'm not even really trying I get something cool - a second, much higher CP, shiny Magikarp!  Not only was it high level (like 135 CP), it had 91% IV with max attack!  I couldn't have asked for anything better.  So I instantly evolved that and got Bite/Hydro Pump just like my 100% IV Gyarados.  I don't have enough stardust to max it out, but I pushed it to 2809 with several powerups still to go.

Pretty damn sweet!  Now I can keep my crappy shiny karp (70 CP, 22-27 % IV) and have a useful red Gyarados.  I almost evolved that one after the event ended since I thought my chances of getting another shiny any time soon were pretty slim - so glad I held off.  I've probably only caught about 10 Magikarp since the water event ended (after probably 400 during it) so that was some awesome luck.

Oh yeah, and my son caught a snake - a real one:

[attachment=26377:Joshua_snake_22Apr17_sm.jpg]

[attachment=26378:Shiny_Gyarados.PNG]

Egg update from event:

Totodile, Phanpy, Sudowoodo, Charmander, Magby, Shellder, Sneasel, Smoochum, Sneasel, Girafarig, Squirtle, Wooper, Elekid, Eevee, Miltank, Gastly, Tyrogue, Girafarig, Growlithe, Misdreavus, Cleffa, Machop, Sneasel, Slowpoke, Wooper, Abra, Slowpoke, Eevee, Igglybuff, Magby, Charmander, Eevee, Wooper, Tyrogue, Grimer, Abra, Cyndaquil, Gastly, Koffing, Tangela, Totodile

So, to summarize:

I got 41 eggs during the event and just ONE of them was what I would call excellent.  But even these rankings are dependent on what you have gotten before or can easily get in your biome.

Excellent: Tyrogue (that had max HP so it could be my first Hitmontop)

Good: Phanpy, Grimer, Miltank (only because these don't spawn near me too often), Machop (but these are in 2km normally anyway)

OK: Starters, Sneasel, Girafarig, Growlithe, Abra, Eevee, Koffing, Tangela, Shellder

Meh: Sudowoodo, Magby, Smoochum, Elekid, Misdreavus, Cleffa, Igglybuff

Utter crap: Wooper (which I got 3 of), Slowpoke, Gastly (x2)

So of the 41 eggs I only got 4 good-to-excellent hatches.  I could have lived without any of the OK ones.  Not a great return on all those incubators I bought ;).

sweet deal on the shiny & the snaky.

Carton after the last 2km Easter event egg hatched a low CP Eevee. Meh.

Last 10 km egg hatched into disappointment, a low cp Pinecone...because RNG said "hey at least it's not another Gilgar."

Now I have 8 - 5km eggs & a 10 km egg.

I rage quit someone who was trying to take down a gym the other day.

I saw a Blue gym being hammered and there was something a low CP pokemon for leveling up and a Blissey. Whoever was hitting it got it down to where I could pop in my own pokemon...once I got in range. Battle seemed to last a while, no doubt because of Blissey.

Once I got in range, I popped in my own 2641 Blissey...and a few seconds later I heard some kid scream "@#$K!"

Then all was quiet on the battlefield. He left.

lulz

I wonder if there was a slight change to spawn frequencies.  The last few days I've seen a slight uptick in desert spawns in my grass biome.  We rarely see any of these here but in the last couple days I've seen a few Houndoors, Vulpix, and even a Mareep, which we've only ever seen one of here before.  I think there were a few more oddballs too - all things that are from desert biomes I think.

bread's done
Back