Pokken Tournment $40 GameStop (PM anywhere)

Legendarytjf

CAGiversary!
Browsing Reddit today I found this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4azqc7/pokken_tourney_for_3999/

GameStop had a misprint in their flyer for Pokken Tournament $39.99.  It's a Spring Deals flyer and not a weekly ad.  It's viewable on their site, but they fixed the pricing.  I found a physical copy of the flyer in store and asked if I could have it, then took it to Target for the PM.

If you're interested in the cards or 3DS Pokemon games, Target is also doing b2g1 on all Pokemon cards and 3DS games until tomorrow (when they are also handing out free things for a limited time.)

If you can't get a hold of a physical flyer, here's a pic you can try:

http://imgur.com/L1L3Qbq

Thanks to /u/nellymac87 on Reddit

First gamestop i checked some poor employee had gone through every single ad on the shelf and crossed out the price with a sharpie. Next gamestop had it unredacted, and i had no issue getting wal mart to pm. Thanks for the heads up OP.
Anyway you can scan it and post it?

My Toys R Us honored this, didn't question it at all. I got my cel art as well, and I think that the game is going to sell well. It's Pokemon, age rating aside (which parents ignore since you can see kids playing CoD and GTA), it's gonna print money no problem. Most of my stores were running a little low, and the first run amiibo card is going to factor in for the crazy collectors lol.

The GameStops in my area were alerted ahead of time though, so it's probably no go for most of them. Worth noting that a GameStop gave me the poster free since no one was coming in anymore for the game, not sure why. But great that I got so much today.
Cel art?

Lamestop false ad. They should honor or they get SUE. Trick peoples to they store and Charge Full Price.
By law, if they don't post the correction sign (with the ads out) they have to honor the price. Otherwise it's bait and switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to my two local Walmarts yesterday. The first one turned me down even though I showed them a picture of the ad on my phone, because they got customer service involved and actually called both Gamestops in town and they quoted the Walmart rep at the $59.99 price tag. I tried making a case that the ad mentions the valid dates very specifically in the top right, that the Gamestop logo can very clearly be seen in the bottom left, and they just might not have the price updated in their system yet. It wasn't good enough.

The next Walmart I went to gave me no problems at all. The guy just rung me up at the register after seeing the ad on my phone. I felt a little bad leaving, though. The guy was like, "I might pick one up at that price." And I was like, "Oh, why don't you let me text a picture of the ad to you? I know you can't get the ads at either of our Gamestops right now." He replied "Nah, they'll believe me when I tell them it was that price." Poor guy. I hope he didn't get in any trouble if he tried to buy one at this price.

Any advice on how I can convince Walmart #1 for next time, though? I'm starting to think they recognize me for situations like these, because the past four or five times I've tried to price match for situations like these they've denied me on the spot.

I got the ad at my local GS and had Walmart price match it with no issues. The GS had the flyer, but stapled a print out stating the incorrect prices were shown. Just tossed that

[attachment=21099:image.jpeg]

Is it possible to stack the Toys “R” Us: BOGO 40% off Wii U, Wii, and 3DS games plus amiibo deal with a pricematch?  If so, the sale would be a great incentive to pick up a Mega Yarn Yoshi and the Pokken Game for a fair price...

I can't believe they tried selling this joke for $60. Only 16 characters and two are the same as another two? $30 at best. I won't pay more than $10.
That and they have a amiibo card of shadow mewtwo who is already in the game hahaha i canceled my order after thinking it wasn't worth it

That and they have a amiibo card of shadow mewtwo who is already in the game hahaha i canceled my order after thinking it wasn't worth it
Pokemon Fans: Please Vote your favorite pokemon for DLC's. I sure they will pull out lots of DLC's on this game. Soon we will see Pokken Tournament Super Edition on NX in 2017 includes on DLC's with extra exclusive characters & stages.

Pokemon Fans: Please Vote your favorite pokemon for DLC's. I sure they will pull out lots of DLC's on this game. Soon we will see Pokken Tournament Super Edition on NX in 2017 includes on DLC's with extra exclusive characters & stages.
Lol pretty sure that actually might happen

I am confident that DLC will eventually come, but I believe it won't be until the late Summer at the very earliest.

Is it possible to stack the Toys “R” Us: BOGO 40% off Wii U, Wii, and 3DS games plus amiibo deal with a pricematch? If so, the sale would be a great incentive to pick up a Mega Yarn Yoshi and the Pokken Game for a fair price...
tried a price match and bought another wii u game to test that theory out. No dice. I believe the register kicks out the discount when the cashier did a price overide.

As long as it's free. If they charge for it, I'm not buying the game. And if the DLC prices are Evolve-format and outrageous, I'll skip the entirety of 7th Gen Pokemon.

The fuck does Pokken Tournament have to do with Sun/Moon? That's like saying you're not gonna buy Zelda Wii U because of Hyrule Warriors' DLC. That's beyond idiotic.

If there is any DLC for the game, it's better to look at Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors than Evolve.

Oh yeah I know why cel art is, I should have asked if you were referring to the GameStop poster, because it sounded like it was another poster.
They have the same artwork, if not similar but yeah.

HxcwAVs.jpg

Long story for me. Friday I went to GS to trade in some games, and got wind of the deal just as I left the store. Unfortunately, they were about to close up, so I asked them if they had Pokken for $40 and they said they knew it was an error. I exchanged the credit for an eBay GC and went on my way. However, I took a picture of their only print ad in the store which showed the misprinted price. J then went to BB, Target, and Walmart, all of which denied me for a price match, citing that they don't price match GS. Whatever.

Two days later (Sunday) I went to a different GS to trade in some more games, fully expecting to get a copy of M&L: Paper Jam. I asked him to hold the used copy of the game over the phone earlier. The guy then scanned my two games I brought, then for some reason accidentally scanned Paper Jam as a trade in, then put down that I was purchasing Paper Jam too. I expected to pay some $4-$5 out of pocket for it, but after this mistake he said I have $10 remaining. Then he asked if I wanted to put it toward a preorder, so I asked where the flyers were. Looking through I immediately saw the misprinted price for Pokken. I acted surprised when asking if it was $40. He said he knew there were some typos in the ad but didn't know Pokken was one of them, but be said since it's in the ad, he would give me that price. I then went to the mobile app and redeemed a $10 off and $15 off coupon using my PUR points. Ended up getting Paper Jam and Pokken for $9 (and two old games I stopped playing).

Game is really fun!

Long story for me. Friday I went to GS to trade in some games, and got wind of the deal just as I left the store. Unfortunately, they were about to close up, so I asked them if they had Pokken for $40 and they said they knew it was an error. I exchanged the credit for an eBay GC and went on my way. However, I took a picture of their only print ad in the store which showed the misprinted price. J then went to BB, Target, and Walmart, all of which denied me for a price match, citing that they don't price match GS. Whatever.

Two days later (Sunday) I went to a different GS to trade in some more games, fully expecting to get a copy of M&L: Paper Jam. I asked him to hold the used copy of the game over the phone earlier. The guy then scanned my two games I brought, then for some reason accidentally scanned Paper Jam as a trade in, then put down that I was purchasing Paper Jam too. I expected to pay some $4-$5 out of pocket for it, but after this mistake he said I have $10 remaining. Then he asked if I wanted to put it toward a preorder, so I asked where the flyers were. Looking through I immediately saw the misprinted price for Pokken. I acted surprised when asking if it was $40. He said he knew there were some typos in the ad but didn't know Pokken was one of them, but be said since it's in the ad, he would give me that price. I then went to the mobile app and redeemed a $10 off and $15 off coupon using my PUR points. Ended up getting Paper Jam and Pokken for $9 (and two old games I stopped playing).

Game is really fun!
You could have said "Oh you scanned Paper Jam as a trade". I mean really you took the $22.50.

Game is really fun!
Good for you! I would have done the exact same shit -_-

You could have said "Oh you scanned Paper Jam as a trade". I mean really you took the $22.50.
Well to be honest, they should check what they are doing since its their job on the line. A similar situation happened to me one time was when I was trading in a ton of games (40+) while having a separate set of games to trade after it (4) and the employee went through every game from the large set checking the discs closely and finally when I saw the credit I was gonna get ($100) I said forget that set and handed him the four 360 games I had in my bag. (Prototype 2, Saints Row The Third, Red Dead Redemption, and Inversion) With this set, he didn't even look through the cases and just rung them up and I left with $80ish credit. When I got home, I was going to insert another disc in my 360 and when I opened my disc tray, I saw Inversion in it and realized I had forgotten to put it in the case. So in reality, I got $20 credit for an empty case because the employee didn't realize what he was doing. I gladly traded in the disc for another $20 the next day

Well to be honest, they should check what they are doing since its their job on the line. A similar situation happened to me one time was when I was trading in a ton of games (40+) while having a separate set of games to trade after it (4) and the employee went through every game from the large set checking the discs closely and finally when I saw the credit I was gonna get ($100) I said forget that set and handed him the four 360 games I had in my bag. (Prototype 2, Saints Row The Third, Red Dead Redemption, and Inversion) With this set, he didn't even look through the cases and just rung them up and I left with $80ish credit. When I got home, I was going to insert another disc in my 360 and when I opened my disc tray, I saw Inversion in it and realized I had forgotten to put it in the case. So in reality, I got $20 credit for an empty case because the employee didn't realize what he was doing. I gladly traded in the disc for another $20 the next day
Is it weird that I wouldn't say anything nor feel bad about getting the paper jam value but I would feel like a complete jerk about bringing in 40+ games only to say never mind?

I guess I just can't imagine bringing in that many games without doing the math first and knowing what I'd get.

We all have our own codes of ethics, it seems. Personally i could not have taken the credit if i realized it as it was happening, i would have said something. But if i didnt notice it until i got home i certainly would not have gone back.

I also would never trade in an empty case. Even by accident, if i found out i forgot to put the disc in, i would go back and give them the disc. You know, unless it was like a half hour drive......

Is it weird that I wouldn't say anything nor feel bad about getting the paper jam value but I would feel like a complete jerk about bringing in 40+ games only to say never mind?

I guess I just can't imagine bringing in that many games without doing the math first and knowing what I'd get.
Yeah, when I went to trade in all those games, they didn't have the Trade Estimate nor the app they have now so I had to go in blind.

I remember once at a GameStop, I was buying Splinter Cell Double Agent PS2 and trading in a game plus using a prepaid card that had very little left. The employee rung up the game twice and it came to $5 (from $17 or more I think). GameStop employees...vary, a lot. You get the incompetent ones who either don't know games at all or don't know how to work (or both), you get the ones who blatantly lie to your face or are rude (one tried ripping me off with the Hyrule Edition New 3DS, said there was no sale when it was labeled on his right!), or the ones who are nice and helpful, like the one who gave me the Pokken poster for free. I think there's a reason why most stores aren't taking in GameStop prices anymore, most of the employees at Best Buy and Toys R Us these days tell me how awful they find the GameStop corporation and employees, most of them actually sympathize with me for how bad I have it with gamestop too.

One retro store near me tries to beat GameStop prices all the time by lowering his -$5 less, says he can't really stand the store near him. Nice guy though, helps me out a bunch.

So my local GameStop had just put their flyers out today. I grabbed one and pocketed it. When I asked about Pokken Tournament, she texted another employee. Apparently no one else tried to get it from there. She quickly pulled all of the flyers and told me no go. I called bullshit because she was ready to give it to me until she couldn't ring it up.

So, I took the flyer to Walmart across the street and got it without as much as a question.

The GameStop I went to had replaced the original flyers with some janky-looking photocopies that had the price corrected.

No pricey matchy for me. : (

My store manager said that they were aware of the wrong price but their DM said to honor it for anyone that asks. They had a stack sitting out in front of the store. I took it and did a price adjustment at best buy

Show me a new release fighting game that has more than 16 out the gate?
Mortal Kombat X? King of Fighters 13? Street Fighter x Tekken? Injustice? Marvel vs Capcom 3?

I matched this flyer at BB with no issue. Thanks, OP.

Show me a new release fighting game that has more than 16 out the gate?
Lol dead or alive 5 had like 20 characters on launch back in 2012. Should be higher than that by today's standard even for new releases

He means new franchise. So, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 1, Dead or Alive 1, Tekken 1, Soul Edge, etc.
No he doesn't. He said new release. That means a fighting game released recently. In any case, midloo and ilostmyemail has all the bases covered. Calling it a new game isn't even really valid as in any case the francise has over 700 characters that could be in play, and that's only just counting the Pokemon. Humans with special abilities could be in it as well. Like Sabrina, Riley, and Anabel. Or just really strong humans that can compete with Pokemon. Like Bruno, Marshall, or that guy in Johto Journeys who wanted to catch that super-strong Tyrogue. No matter what though, just 16 Pokemon in this game, is lazy, stupid, and negligent. You don't pull stuff like that and expect fans to take it lying down. I know it's not a fair comparison, but I always look towards DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 during times like this. What was it, 162 playable characters? Insane. That's more than 10 times what we got here.

The fuck does Pokken Tournament have to do with Sun/Moon? That's like saying you're not gonna buy Zelda Wii U because of Hyrule Warriors' DLC. That's beyond idiotic.

If there is any DLC for the game, it's better to look at Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors than Evolve.
I don't reward companies for bad business practices. However, I was just saying. I know it won't be anything like Evolve. But it should be free, or at least cost virtually nothing. 16 characters in this game is just pitiful.

Well I was able to get my copy of Pokken today. Anyways, saw a thread on CAG about $9 Bloodborne at Redbox. After checking at 5 redboxes and coming up empty, I said fuck it and was gonna buy it at Game Stop (since it was right next to the last redbox I went to). When I went in, I saw the flyers and remembered this thread. I love Pokemon, but I ignored everything about Pokken Tourney because I thought it looked lame. Anyways for $40, the positive feedback it's gotten from people, and being a Nintendo game (since they never go down in price) , I once again said fuck it and left to BestBuy with my ad to Price match. A girl there rung me up, I told her if I could price match and she said sure but to give her a moment. She went on GS's website and said that the site showed it was $59.99 so she couldn't price match the ad. I played dumb and told her that it wasn't fair since the ad show's the price and this and that but I eventually left it at that and went to Target. They were able to Price match without a problem. Since I got the game, I decided to get the controller as well but Target said they didn't have it. Went back to BB, they didn't have it. Then I went to another GS and they had 1 last controller. It was a pre-order but since it wasn't picked up they gave it to me. Got home, and played Pokken for a couple of hours. It's a pretty good game, and surprisingly deep for a casual fighter. Also, I just found that the controller is going for $50+ now. I really didn't know it was that sought after, but knowing Nintendo they probably made like 10 of em. Lucky me, I guess.

Well I was able to get my copy of Pokken today. Anyways, saw a thread on CAG about $9 Bloodborne at Redbox. After checking at 5 redboxes and coming up empty, I said fuck it and was gonna buy it at Game Stop (since it was right next to the last redbox I went to). When I went in, I saw the flyers and remembered this thread. I love Pokemon, but I ignored everything about Pokken Tourney because I thought it looked lame. Anyways for $40, the positive feedback it's gotten from people, and being a Nintendo game (since they never go down in price) , I once again said fuck it and left to BestBuy with my ad to Price match. A girl there rung me up, I told her if I could price match and she said sure but to give her a moment. She went on GS's website and said that the site showed it was $59.99 so she couldn't price match the ad. I played dumb and told her that it wasn't fair since the ad show's the price and this and that but I eventually left it at that and went to Target. They were able to Price match without a problem. Since I got the game, I decided to get the controller as well but Target said they didn't have it. Went back to BB, they didn't have it. Then I went to another GS and they had 1 last controller. It was a pre-order but since it wasn't picked up they gave it to me. Got home, and played Pokken for a couple of hours. It's a pretty good game, and surprisingly deep for a casual fighter. Also, I just found that the controller is going for $50+ now. I really didn't know it was that sought after, but knowing Nintendo they probably made like 10 of em. Lucky me, I guess.
I like the game also, my son is about to be 4... He beats me at this game

Another batch of controllers is likely getting released as Amazon currently has it on backorder for $24.99 and Gamestop is calling it a preorder with a release date in early April.

Anyone willing to let me use their phone numb for Gcu discount so I can buy this? Dm me. My Gcu expired and I really don't feel like paying 30$ to renew right now lol

So I picked this up and was able to price match at Bestbuy. I haven't opened yet. I heard that there was no DLC coming for it. Is it true?

bread's done
Back