POLL: Do you still tip even after getting bad service?

If service is really bad, I tip around 10%. I am starting to see tip jars at counter service type places (ice cream and soft pretzel places in the mall for example) which I don't like and never leave a tip for because they are getting paid at least minimum wage unlike the server at a sitdown restaurant.

I hate the tip jars in Coffee places. What, I'm gunna tip you for pouring some shit into a cup, I don't think so.

I went to a Ponderosa with my grandma tonight and we had a great time. We went to some other place earlier and they barely acknowledged us. They pointed to a table when we went up to the bar, we sat down and nobody gave us menus or anything. Meanwhile people coming in the other door were getting immediate attention and menus. We got disgusted and left.

[quote name='slidecage']just got back from pondersoa over on coldwater today and will be contacting the manager tomorrow

1. we sat with dirty plates on our table for between 15 to 30 mins

2. we had to wait around 20 mins for refills

3. they just kept dumping new food on top of older food in the buffet instead of removing the old food

they had cheese pizza and some people ripped off the chess and left the pizza part behind. Instead of throwing it out they just keep piling new pizza on top of the old crap

Im shocked this place on coldwater hasnt had it #$#$# shut down for heath reasons yet. Its the only one left in the entire fort wayne area[/QUOTE]
Sounds more like you went to the pwnderosa....

I work at an upscale restaurant for 4 years now. I give my very best service to customers because I am doing a job. I very rarely get below 20 percent. Some customers leave me over 25 percent. One time I got a 50 percent tip on a 180 bill!. Anyways when I got to a restaurant I usually tip 20 percent tip minimum. If the service is lousy and they do not give to shits then I tip accordingly. I ate at Chevy's once worst service ever...I left a $2 tip on a $40 bill....and that was being kind. Server was getting wise with me....lucky I did not knock him out.

[quote name='Moxio']Well see, that's bullshit, ESPECIALLY when she tried to charge you for the dropped food. I would have given NO TIP at all.[/quote]

The ones who still tipped were ones who worked food service before and tended to feel she just had an off-night like they used to have. Then again, I never said that those friends had any sense in their addled brains.

Not surprisingly, they are the few friends I haven't kept in touch with over the past two years. Hmmm...what a coinkydink.

ok here is a strange follow up...

My girlfriend took me and her family out to eat at that place for her dad's birthday last week.

I had this strange feeling when I looked at the receipt...something didn't add up.
They have this rewards program (similar to bb rewards zone) where you earn points towards and eventually get free food. Something like 10 pts for every dollar or something like that.

Anyways I did a side by side comparison between the last time we went there and last week..since it has been a month since we were back there.

tgticket2.jpg

The one on the left is when my gf and I went there for her birthday and one on the right is the one where we went there last week, which is basically about a month apart. At no time did we ever go to that place in the last few weeks.

If you look at the numbers, it would seem that either the server (Nick) or the manager deleted our point history thereby causing us to start at zero. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

^^ Is that the same place you talked about in the OP? Dude must have been seriously pissed about no tip. Looks like you lost about 1/4 of the way to a free quesadilla? I'd just forget about it.

(Didn't see this one the first go round.) I usually tip about 20% with good to normal service and 15% if the service is bad. If it's really bad I might dip down to about 10%. It would have to be amazingly bad for me to leave no tip. I would potentially ask for a free meal due to bad service though.

I generally tip, as I worked as a DJ in a bar for a few years, so I learned to take care of the wait-staff....however, I think there have been a few times were a tip was not deserved. If the service sucks, they may get a $1 or something pathetic.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's pricks like you that make me glad I left the service industry. Though, to be fair, I doubt you would have ever come into the places I worked; I never served at "Hobie's Dipshit Hut, featuring bacon-wrapped bacon bacon bacon hamburgers."

Let me be perfectly clear: IF YOU GO INTO A RESTAURANT THAT HAS WAITSTAFF, YOU ARE EXPECTED TO TIP. If you don't want to tip, either (1) go to a Taco Bell, you skint bastard, or (2) order food to go. By sitting down and being served, you enter into an implicit agreement that, in exchange for said service, you will provide a tip. It's not "extra money" (as if they're making megabucks already); it's extra money you pay for the difference in labor cost for having your fat asses fed instead of taking it home and stuffing your maws there.

There is NO excuse. NONE. You're a cheap bitch, a lazy fuck, and an embarrassment. If you can't even tip, you're not even good enough for a Waffle House.

All that ranting aside, bad service (I don't want a conversation with the server, but I do want someone who knows the menu, can recommend items, won't lie to me if I ask what days they get fish deliveries, can recommend a good wine and/or beer; I want the food delivered on time and hot; I want them to ensure everything is to our liking within 3 minutes of bringing the entrees to the table, and that's about it) will result in a lower tip. No less than 10% - any less and I'm taking advantage of them (only a damn fool would think of 10% as anything other than an intentionally shitty tip). I usually indicate my displeasure through my demeanor and questions, however. In a constructive way entirely, and not as a grouse (like I did above).[/quote]
QFT!!! :applause:

Couldn't have said it better myself. There are some cheap, ignorant motherfuckers on this board.

I generally don't eat in chain restaurants, so bad service usually isn't an issue. I tip 20%, standard. If you do get crummy service, don't pull a bitch move like leaving a nickel. Unless the server tried to fuck your wife on the table, leave 10%. If it's really bad (such as the instance described above where the guy was hitting on women at another table and ignoring his other customers) talk to the manager on your way out, indicating why you felt the service was less than optimal. Leaving a pittance or nothing at all only proves that you can be as big an asshole as your server and in no way addresses the problem. Plus, you had better not eat in that establishment again, unless you like the taste of phlegm.

Funny story: My mom used to wait tables at a diner when she was in college. She said they had all sorts of methods for dealing with lousy customers. One of her favorites was putting food coloring in their coffee (but only if they took it black) or Coke. When they peed later, they'd get quite a shock. If they were particularly nasty, she'd use red.

And no offense to the OP, as I agree with him for the most part, but there are far better restaurants than the Melting Pot, especially if you're trying to impress a woman. ;)

It's the servers who think that they automatically deserve 15% that are the problem.

If you suck, you get no tip and a call / discussion with the manager about your service.

A tip is earned, not expected.

[quote name='csidegamer']

A tip is earned, not expected.[/QUOTE]

Very true....I agree on that.

Also, lately when I get cary-out at a restaurant, it seems like the person giving me the food is expecting a tip. Which I never do. I think I did once, as it was basically like $1.xx left over.

[quote name='csidegamer']It's the servers who think that they automatically deserve 15% that are the problem.

If you suck, you get no tip and a call / discussion with the manager about your service.

A tip is earned, not expected.[/QUOTE]

QFT my friend.

It's usually the server and the person who trained that server is at fault. Like I said before the restaurant industry needs to stop hiring college kids/high school kids who want to make a quick buck while giving shitty service. My experience is that we have gotten way better service by older servers who knows what the fuck they are doing vs these kids who want to serve 10 tables an hour and expect 5-10 bucks per table no matter what.

[quote name='H-Town Info']somewhat related question, If you order take-out and paid with a credit card or debit card, do you put in the tip?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I just put a line on that line of the check.

[quote name='H-Town Info']somewhat related question, If you order take-out and paid with a credit card or debit card, do you put in the tip?[/QUOTE]

i've seen that before.... it's too bad I never have a fortune cookie fortune with me...that would have been a good tip to leave :p

[quote name='csidegamer']It's the servers who think that they automatically deserve 15% that are the problem.

A tip is earned, not expected.[/quote]QFT.

Question is, if you had exceptional service, do you have a chat with the manager about it, as well as a good tip?

I know when I have great service, I always chat up the manager about it, especially since they're usually shocked about someone talking to them and not trying to remove their rectum through their nose.

One other thing.

I will not return to a restaurant that automatically puts the tip on the check.
The tip is for me to decide.

If the server does their job, they get 15%,
is friendly, quick to refill etc, they get 20%.

If they are outstanding, I've given up to 30%.

[quote name='shrike4242']Question is, if you had exceptional service, do you have a chat with the manager about it, as well as a good tip?

I know when I have great service, I always chat up the manager about it, especially since they're usually shocked about someone talking to them and not trying to remove their rectum through their nose.[/quote]
Good point. A lot of people are quick to lose their shit when they feel they have been slighted, but very few go out of their way to compliment the server, manager, or chef when things are great. And it stands to reason that this is the case more often than not.

[quote name='csidegamer']One other thing.

I will not return to a restaurant that automatically puts the tip on the check.
The tip is for me to decide.

If the server does their job, they get 15%,
is friendly, quick to refill etc, they get 20%.

If they are outstanding, I've given up to 30%.[/quote]

I don't think I've EVER been to a restaurant (in the U.S., anyway) where tip was prefigured, except for the standard "party of six or more." And I eat out pretty frequently. That is not reasonable and if I came across that I would tell them so.

[quote name='shrike4242']QFT.

Question is, if you had exceptional service, do you have a chat with the manager about it, as well as a good tip?

I know when I have great service, I always chat up the manager about it, especially since they're usually shocked about someone talking to them and not trying to remove their rectum through their nose.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, Good feedback is just as important as negative.
It is funny (or a bit sad) that when asked for a second of their time, they think it is going to be bad.

[quote name='Tybee']Good point. A lot of people are quick to lose their shit when they feel they have been slighted, but very few go out of their way to compliment the server, manager, or chef when things are great. And it stands to reason that this is the case more often than not.

I don't think I've EVER been to a restaurant (in the U.S., anyway) where tip was prefigured, except for the standard "party of six or more." And I eat out pretty frequently. That is not reasonable and if I came across that I would tell them so.[/quote]If the service I received is truly top-notch, I make a point to find the M-O-D and tell them of the excellent service I received. A couple times, they've given out free desert/appetizer coupons for me taking the time to talk to them, though I'm never expecting them. Once for sending in a comment card, I received a "free entree" coupon.

Also, I've had the same experience about "pre-added" tips, usually in the 6-or-more or 8-or-more scenario. As I usually don't dine in a group that big, it's not usually been an issue.

[quote name='csidegamer']Absolutely, Good feedback is just as important as negative.
It is funny (or a bit sad) that when asked for a second of their time, they think it is going to be bad.[/quote]Yes, it is sad and funny, mainly because they always assume that their presence is needed for fixing a problem, not accepting praise for someone.

I don't really mind the pre-added tips, but I don't leave anything extra at places that do include it. The main problem with them is if you don't notice it's already included and throw another 15-20% on top. :shock:

Something else to remember: If you are comped something (e.g., an overcooked entree was replaced and to apologize they provide it on the house) or you use a coupon for a free item, you are still obligated to include the cost of that item when calculating the tip! So many people overlook this.

[quote name='wakeandbake']Do you guys tip at chinese buffets??[/quote]
Periodically? It depends for me, mostly. If someone ends up busing my table at any point in time or refills a drink or grabs a drink from a bar (if available), they get the standard 20% (usually more since the buffets around here about half the price of those elsewhere). If I don't encounter another human being throughout the entirety of the meal and I bus my own stuff, sometimes nothing?

Then again it's all moot since the tips are left in a gigantic tip jar near the front around here. It's really tricky overall since the chefs are obviously in the back working like madmen at times even if the floorstaff is lacking or nonexistant...honestly, I tend to go with at least 10% each go just on principle unless there was something seriously, tremendously wrong with the buffet. Then again, if that happens then you'll more than likely never come back anyway (ie: food never refilled, no one on the floor, getting drinks nigh-impossible, food temperatures are ~way~ off, etc.).

[quote name='Tybee']Something else to remember: If you are comped something (e.g., an overcooked entree was replaced and to apologize they provide it on the house) or you use a coupon for a free item, you are still obligated to include the cost of that item when calculating the tip! So many people overlook this.[/quote]

QFT, many times over.

I generally just tip less than 15% if the service isn't up to par. Tho if it's really terrible, I will refuse to leave tip. I know I did this at least once (or I tipped them like a nickel or something).

[quote name='wakeandbake']Do you guys tip at chinese buffets??[/QUOTE]

i usually tip 1 or 2 dollars on buffets. The guy or one of the people's is just refilling my waters while I am getting my fat ass up and getting the food myself.

I also tip 1 dollar for every bowl of meat that the Mongolian cook cooks for me.

[quote name='csidegamer']Believe it or not, the last Burger King I was in had a tip jar on the counter.[/QUOTE]

and did you see any cash?

Nope, not a dime. Guess they don't know you gotta seed the jar with $1 of your own to get it going. ;)

At first I thought it was for a business card drawing, but that was down the counter further.

Eh, service has to be pretty bad for me to not give at least 15% or so.

But if service is really, really bad, I won't leave no tip, I would leave 1-13 cents.

Would it be a jerk move? Yes. But I did say really bad service, didn't I?

I once read that giving a ridiculously small reward sends a stronger message than no reward at all. But that might not be true. It sure must make the waiter mad. And so, I'll only do it if that's my perogative. The cook doesn't deserve to get shafted just because the waiter wasn't doing such a great job, but if things are really bad, then so be it. I'd say getting a plate of food dropped into my friend's lap and then being charged for it would count.

But usually I try to give a generous tip, if I can.

(That is, if I'm not being a goof. I once looked at my bill, saw an 18% gratuity charge, and said, "Oh, I'm glad they calculate it for me." And then I remembered that I was sitting at a table of 30-40 people. D'oh! At least I remembered to leave the real tip before I got up. On one or two occasions, I have forgotten to leave a tip after being rushed out the door by friends. I always fell bad about that, if it's too late to fix it. :cry: )

i've rarely eaten in DC, but don't they automatically charge 15% on the final total? last year I had chinese food at some place called Ti Shan restaurant and the bill came out to 80 bucks for 3 people..holy shit!

I think I over tipped :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']i've rarely eaten in DC, but don't they automatically charge 15% on the final total? last year I had chinese food at some place called Ti Shan restaurant and the bill came out to 80 bucks for 3 people..holy shit!

I think I over tipped :([/quote]
$80 for a nice meal for three people is not what I would call jaw-droppingly expensive. I've run up tabs well over that for two people, and that was without wine. I don't make a habit of it, but it happens.

And again, tip should not be figured into the check unless there are six or more people....or unless they have some sort of automatic guide at the bottom where it tells you how much 15%, 18%, or 20% would be. I've seen that occasionally, but it's down at the bottom and not figured in the actual check itself.

Tip normally, don't say anything, don't come back for a long time.

I don't fuck around with the people who have access to my food. It's not worth a couple bucks to eat someone's booger.

[quote name='Halo05']Tip normally, don't say anything, don't come back for a long time.

I don't fuck around with the people who have access to my food. It's not worth a couple bucks to eat someone's booger.[/QUOTE]

See people are afraid of that shit.

If you were to get sick (food poisoning), you could go to the hospital, get the medical report, contact the manager, Department of Health, district manager, the POLICE AND a lawyer. Yes it's a lot of work, but it's a civil and criminal case and chances are the judge is going to throw the book at them, not to mention the DoH will probably slap them with a heavy fine or shut them down.

It's normally not a problem with attitudes I get from the servers, it's the case of whether or not I have that kind of cash. Although, I never eat out alone, so I have someone to help me "judge" the server and decide the tip.

i tip 20% normally, more if the server is particularly friendly or helpful.

in the event that i received truly bad/rude service, i would not tip at all.

[quote name='Halo05']Tip normally, don't say anything, don't come back for a long time.

I don't fuck around with the people who have access to my food. It's not worth a couple bucks to eat someone's booger.[/quote]

Well, see, that's (partly) why I wouldn't leave an insulting tip unless they made me so mad that I wouldn't eat there for a long time.

If you don't tip then your a scumbag and you really shouldn't fucking go out to eat. Stay home and eat Ramen Noodles you cheap bitches. I have been a server forever and I hate cheap ass customers. I do however love cheapass games. now isn't that ironic?

[quote name='veedubkid']If you don't tip then your a scumbag and you really shouldn't fucking go out to eat. Stay home and eat Ramen Noodles you cheap bitches. I have been a server forever and I hate cheap ass customers. I do however love cheapass games. now isn't that ironic?[/QUOTE]

well if I went to your restaurant and you were my server I would do this..

This is how I usually rate our servers.

%5 for friendliness

%5 for getting the order right the first time and delivered in a timely manner or not screwing us over some how.

%5 checking up on us every 10-15 to see if we need anything/ refilling our waters/drinks actively without being annoying.

Bonus points are given when

-The Server can take the order down by memory without pen and paper :|
-The Server gives extra of something without charging for it (like an extra tortilla or something)
-The Server knows who you are and greets you by name.
-The Server DOES NOT RUSH US!!! Just cause the couple in the table near us woofed down their food in 15 minutes, doesn't mean we have to choak on our food.. I don't see a 30 minute dining limit!!

[quote name='veedubkid']If you don't tip then your a scumbag and you really shouldn't fucking go out to eat. Stay home and eat Ramen Noodles you cheap bitches. I have been a server forever and I hate cheap ass customers. I do however love cheapass games. now isn't that ironic?[/QUOTE]

Get another job? Lets say you bought a game, and it didn't work. Would you keep it?
Same thing with tipping. Your paying for a service you don't get it, why should you pay?

[quote name='wakeandbake']Do you guys tip at chinese buffets??[/quote]
There was a chinese buffet I used to eat at regularly some years ago. My girlfriend and I would have lunch there every Wednesday and I'd always tip 30%, sometimes more (I work in the service industry, so I've always tipped much more than is customary). The wait staff didn't have to do much other than fill our drinks and remove our plates, but they always treated us right and I rewarded them for it. It got to a point where they always kept a booth open for us, they'd have the drinks on the table before we sat down, and they'd even go so far as to stock the buffet with the specific items that we liked (since they normally rotated items day to day).

I stopped going there when my girlfriend and I broke up. A few months later they went out of business. True story.

[quote name='csidegamer']Nope, not a dime. Guess they don't know you gotta seed the jar with $1 of your own to get it going. ;)

At first I thought it was for a business card drawing, but that was down the counter further.[/quote]They probably figure that if someone has excess change, they will just drop it in.

bread's done
Back